The Avengers The Avengers Critics Reviews Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that calling a character Frost vs Fury is a large departure, not just a typo. Especially when her whole career is as a "movie" critic and this movie's info is everywhere, there's really no way she could have mistaken those names unless she really had no interest in this movie whatsoever. That's sad, really, because, you know it IS her job, and it shows here lack of interest in the material before she even saw it.

How hard would it have been to just look at 1 media release to get all the characters correct? Not very, as I see an explanation of the plot and it's characters on about every movie site there is every single day. IMHO it shows her indifference to the material; which, to me makes critics a bad indicator of a movie in general cause they all exhibit their biases in their reviews.

How hard would it have been to just look at 1 media release to get all the characters correct?

Have you never been thinking one thing and then said or written another? It's an easy mistake to make and I'd be willing to bet that's what happened as both names are similar.

But carry on, I don't think it's a great review either but I'm not gooing to focus on something so silly and unimportant as "ZOMG she got teh name wrong!" It's ridiculous.

At last reviews are starting to appear at Metacritic website.*

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-avengers-2012

Maybe I just being nick picking here but I'm a bit surprised that Variety and The Hollywood Reporter gave an 80 rating rather than a 100 or even 90 because ironman, dark knight, spider-man 2 got 100-90 score from them. Anyway I sure the overall metacritic score will an 80+.

She really had alot to say about Black Widow...she liked how the female character wasn't pandering to the men, had no romantic involvement and didn't use her looks to gain info from Loki...Instead she is a full on teammate rather than a love interest...

That's refreshing, cause honestly I'm tired of romantic relationships in movies and the female leads being pretty much throwaway characters.

She really had alot to say about Black Widow...she liked how the female character wasn't pandering to the men, had no romantic involvement and didn't use her looks to gain info from Loki...Instead she is a full on teammate rather than a love interest...

That's refreshing, cause honestly I'm tired of romantic relationships in movies and the female leads being pretty much throwaway characters.

At last reviews are starting to appear at Metacritic website.*

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-avengers-2012

Maybe I just being nick picking here but I'm a bit surprised that Variety and The Hollywood Reporter gave an 80 rating rather than a 100 or even 90 because ironman, dark knight, spider-man 2 got 100-90 score from them. Anyway I sure the overall metacritic score will an 80+.
Yeah thats weird. Most people are saying its the best yet

And that lady critic on metacritic gave a mixed review, saying that if you havent seen the previous films you'll be lost.
And as many reviewers have mentioned, that isnt the case at all.

Yeah, agreed and about time.

Have you never been thinking one thing and then said or written another? It's an easy mistake to make and I'd be willing to bet that's what happened as both names are similar.

But carry on, I don't think it's a great review either but I'm not gooing to focus on something so silly and unimportant as "ZOMG she got teh name wrong!" It's ridiculous.

Yes, I am human after all. BUT, there is this little thing called proofreading and it's not that hard to do, especially if your job is to write for a living. I don't really care what she wrote personally, I was just pointing out it was more than a typo, and I tend to drag out my sentences rather than give short responses, which makes it sound like I'm ranting when I'm not. (you can blame that on me being a writer for a living :yay:)

Uh oh ... guys already getting upset over somebody who didn't have a good experience?

[YT]IRuuF-5ZST8[/YT]

By Metacritic standards, Amy Nicholson's review is considered "mixed" not "negative".

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-avengers-2012/critic-reviews

Speaking of which, someone created a twitter account named Nick Frost, and Amy Nicholson actually replied to it:

https://twitter.com/#!/ZzzazzzZ

Okay, that's funny. Well played. RT @ZzzazzzZ: @AmyBoxoffice Thank you for acknowledging my contributions to the Avengers.

https://twitter.com/#!/AmyBoxoffice/status/194154116111548417

Reading some of the comments left on Rotten Tomatoes, it seems Amy Nicholson just doesn't like any Marvel films in general having rated every single Marvel film rotten.

Yes, I am human after all. BUT, there is this little thing called proofreading and it's not that hard to do, especially if your job is to write for a living. I don't really care what she wrote personally, I was just pointing out it was more than a typo, and I tend to drag out my sentences rather than give short responses, which makes it sound like I'm ranting when I'm not. (you can blame that on me being a writer for a living :yay:)

Not really talking to you specifically, just the genral reaction is overblown imo. Besides it's the editors job to catch things like that.

Yeah it's not accidental. About ten people have said it by now -- critics decide the tomato when they submit the review, not the site. This is mostly designed for critics who don't use any sort of rating system, but for those that do, it's designed for mixed, 3/5 scores like this one.

The critic tells them that yes it's a 3 out of 5 but she leans negative so it's a rotten tomato from her. The reason most of her other 3 out of 5s were positive is because she told them those leaned positive. She even says in her review "the Avengers almost works." Which seems to imply a mixed but definitely negative opinion. She doesn't think the movie works, after all.

As to the poster above who liked This Means War and John Carter more than Cabin in the Woods and Drive... uh, no comment on that one.

By Metacritic standards, Amy Nicholson's review is considered "mixed" not "negative".

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-avengers-2012/critic-reviews

Speaking of which, someone created a twitter account named Nick Frost, and Amy Nicholson actually replied to it:

https://twitter.com/#!/ZzzazzzZ

https://twitter.com/#!/AmyBoxoffice/status/194154116111548417

Reading some of the comments left on Rotten Tomatoes, it seems Amy Nicholson just doesn't like any Marvel films in general having rated every single Marvel film rotten.
It's a mixed review to anyone reading it with a fair number of positive statements. Without that one sentence it would be very hard to know which way this was going to be rated.

That is pretty funny :woot:

When the first review that really rips it to shreds comes out, I hope you guys have all of this overreaction already out of your systems.

When the first review that really rips it to shreds comes out, I hope you guys have all of this overreaction out of your systems.
My estimation there will be around 15 negative reviews at least.

With that said, as long as they are well written, everything should be fine.

Amy Nicholson's review had spelling errors, wrong character information, and history shows she's had bias against anything Marvel - which is why she's getting ripped for it.

My estimation there will be around 15 negative reviews at least.

With that said, as long as they are well written, everything should be fine.

Amy Nicholson's review had spelling errors, wrong character information, and history shows she's had bias against anything Marvel - which is why she's getting ripped for it.
She's allowed to have bias against anything Marvel, spelling errors are human (and should be caught by an editor). I can tell you there is going to be a lot worse. Some random critic didn't like it much, I don't think that's worth the rants (and especially the misogynistic rants) it's eliciting

I'm staying away from reviews. I've seen the first couple, and it's great to see the movie get early praise, but if the negative reviews are going to spoil the movie for you guys, then why the hell read them? Is it that hard to stay off of this site, along with rt for another week or so? Unless you can read them, and not let the reviews premake your decision of the movie, why spoil it? They're just opinions, and for The Avengers, I could care less if it gets a rotten score on rt, sure I'd love it to be fresh, but all I care about, is whether or not I like the movie, and the same should go for everyone else. Simple as that.

When the first review that really rips it to shreds comes out, I hope you guys have all of this overreaction already out of your systems.

You know what, though: this thread is for the discussion of reviews. Some people will agree or disagree with various critics and they may want to talk about it here. That is allowed because it is on topic. And think of it this way: even if we're discussing things you disagree with in ways that you don't approve of, at least it's all on topic and doesn't involve repetitive Marvel-bashing. :cwink:

Yeah it wasn't the best review but I've seen far worse. The reaction has been out of control, especially on RottenTomatoes. Sickening misogyny does not help the reps of comic fans, guys.

She's allowed to have bias against anything Marvel, spelling errors are human (and should be caught by an editor). I can tell you there is going to be a lot worse. Some random critic didn't like it much, I don't think that's worth the rants (and especially the misogynistic rants) it's eliciting

I agree. While I hate the review, there's no reason to dwell on it, especially since there will be more to come.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back