The Avengers The Avengers: News and Speculation - Part 27A sub-se - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downey's line delivery was spectacular in that clip, IMO. He has quickly climbed the list of my favorite actors as of late.

nooooooooo.jpg

THAT'S FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol,I understand your feelings.

Been scanning the last few pages. To say I need this movie in my life is a gross understatement.

To everyone going to see a free screening of Avengers over the next couple of weeks - I've never hated anyone more! :exp: :exp: :exp:

Kidding, of course... kind of.

It's kind of a new experience seeing Tony confront someone that isn't of human origin on screen.

I've been so used to seeing Tony's antagonist being all human beings with just armored suits that it's definitely refreshing to see Tony having a verbal confrontation with a enemy that has their own natural powers without the aid of some suit or gadget.

Well if we go by what we know of the guidebook that pretty much generally covered like the beginning portion of the film, then it's reasonable to assume that the scene with Tony and Loki takes place after he had escaped from the Hellcarrier.
Kind of getting that impression but seems kind of odd that they'd let the team go off on their own, especially with Loki still a big threat. But Tony probably just flew off without them being able to stop him.

Kind of getting that impression but seems kind of odd that they'd let the team go off on their own, especially with Loki still a big threat. But Tony probably just flew off without them being able to stop him.

My guess is that everyone got into a huge argument after Loki escaped and caused havoc on board the Hellcarrier.

Thor probably felt that SHIELD and the rest of the group were incompetent to handle the situation and thus left off on his own.

The Hulk was probably pissed off as it is for his own issues and left.

Tony being Tony probably got frustrated since it didn't seem like he really wanted to be there to begin with and returned back to Stark Tower.

Damn it, I loved Hiddleston in Thor and love the Loki character, so it pains me to say this but RDJ totally outacted him in that clip to the point he seemed a bit goofy IMO.

Damn it, I loved Hiddleston in Thor and love the Loki character, so it pains me to say this but RDJ totally outacted him in that clip to the point he seemed a bit goofy IMO.
Hiddleston didn't have much to work with. He made the best of what he had. Personally I thought both played off each other in a great way.

You can feel it's tense and I like how even though Tony is trying to appear as if he isn't afraid the part where you see him sort of rushing & briefly stumbling while putting on the bracelets show otherwise.

Maybe he is surprised that a mere mortal doesn't feel threatened, but just talks him down.

Hiddleston didn't have much to work with. He made the best of what he had. Personally I thought both played off each other in a great way.

You can feel it's tense and I like how even though Tony is trying to appear as if he isn't afraid the part where you see him sort of rushing & briefly stumbling while putting on the bracelets show otherwise.
You're right, I like that subtle touch. You can tell Tony is somewhat nervous in the presence of that character but trying to sort of trash talk his way out of it, if you could call it that.

I think Hiddleston's great in the clip. The acting and writing in this movie appears to be very strong. Visuals still seem less strong, but I'll take a phenomenally written and performed blockbuster over empty spectacle any day.

ETA: Anyone know what Tony says after "traction"? The Downey mumbles swallowed that one up for me.

I'll admit it right now...that's the Tony Stark from the first Iron Man picture that I've been wanting to see again. This scene reminds me of the scene between Pepper and Tony at the beginning of the third act of the first film, where Tony lays down his card on what he's suppose to do. It's the same performance out RDJ...

Serioiusly, that's a very tight, concise, and heavy clip that does A LOT in a little time.

I'll admit it right now...that's the Tony Stark from the first Iron Man picture that I've been wanting to see again. This scene reminds me of the scene between Pepper and Tony at the beginning of the third act of the first film, where Tony lays down his card on what he's suppose to do. It's the same performance out RDJ...

Serioiusly, that's a very tight, concise, and heavy clip that does A LOT in a little time.
Which if that's the case for a lot of the scenes in the movie, makes the under 2.5 hour runtime seem like not such a big deal.

ETA: Anyone know what Tony says after "traction"? The Downey mumbles swallowed that one up for me.
"...I'll give you that one."
You're right, I like that subtle touch. You can tell Tony is somewhat nervous in the presence of that character but trying to sort of trash talk his way out of it, if you could call it that.
Yeah for sure.

Man, I like this pissed off Tony in that clip. I mean, there's some angry in how RDJ does the latter half of that scene.

I just love it....

Some more thoughts... love the smug way Hiddleston says "yes... I've met them." Presumably referring to whatever happens on the helicarrier? Downey's equally smug "yeah" in response now seems even better than it did in the trailer since he seems to be covering for his own embarrassment with bravado rather than just being a cocky dick.

The following exchange is so Whedon-y it makes me want to cheer: "That was the plan." "Not a great plan." Could be straight out of Buffy, which for me, is a good thing.

I agree with those who say those bracelets most likely call Stark's armor to him somehow. We know from the trailers that this is right before Loki throws him out the window. We also saw that still of him hovering in the Iron Man armor just outside the window, so I'd say it's a reasonable guess. It's also a good answer to those who were wondering why Stark appeared so cocky in this scene in front of a God -- he's using his bluster to distract, he knows he's in trouble, and he has a plan.

I would also add that I think those are the same bracelets that have a product placement tie-in with the film. At least he doesn't summon his armor with a can of Dr. Pepper.

ETA: I agree, J. Howlett. Downey goes from funny to serious/angry on a dime, which is also a Whedon specialty, but it lends this scene, which is ripe with witty dialogue, more weight than of lot of Iron Man 2, where Downey was so heavily into the comedic riffing that you never doubted he would defeat his enemies with ease. I mean, at the CLIMAX of the movie, essentially, War Machine and Iron Man are engaging in banter like the whole thing is a walk in the park.

Last edited:
Man, I like this pissed off Tony in that clip. I mean, there's some angry in how RDJ does the latter half of that scene.

I just love it....
I was noticing a hint of anger, as well, from Tony, similar to how he was arguing with Pepper in IM when he asked to steal files from Stane's office.

I was noticing a hint of anger, as well, from Tony, similar to how he was arguing with Pepper in IM when he asked to steal files from Stane's office.

Yes, yes. This exactly. This scene reminds me of that scene, totally.

I'm...starting...to...come...around.

“You’re missing the point - there’s no throne, there’s no version of this where you come out on top. And maybe your army comes, and maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we’ll avenge it.” — Tony Stark in Marvel’s The Avengers
Loki has his brother thor

Awesome, I didn't watch the clip but that's what I've been hoping for. Taking Stark back down to Earth a bit. He was parading around literally in front of crowds in IM2, so it's understandable that he's be so "showy," but this is what I want.

It's a great performance by RDJ. It seems he speaks himself into rage. At the beginning he act easy - "We're the Avengers....type thing". But the more he talks the more he gets angrier.

Don't know if anyone's seen these but its the first time I've seen them sooo....yeah. Nothing really new, but interesting reads anywho :woot:

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/tom-hiddleston-social-media-interview/dave-busson-facebook

Tom Hiddlston

Who'd win in a fight - Loki or Ernest Hemingway?
Hemmingway is constantly going ‘do you box?’ and ‘ever shot a charging lion?’ Loki would put Hemmingway’s machismo back in its box!

Did you ever get wig envy on the set of Avengers working with Scarlett and Chris?

No! The top half of my hair was my own and then they kind put a half wig at the back. Like an evil mullet. I am like an evil Pat Sharp.

Did you ever get wig envy on the set of Avengers working with Scarlett and Chris?

No! The top half of my hair was my own and then they kind put a half wig at the back. Like an evil mullet. I am like an evil Pat Sharp.

In the comics Loki briefly turned into a woman. If this were to be introduced in The Avengers or Thor 2, would you be comfortable relinquishing Loki to another person, or would you insist on playing the part in drag?

I don’t know that in drag I would look nearly as good as Loki would like to look. What really happens in the comics is Loki comes back in the body of Sif – she was the warrior valkyrie played by Jaimie Alexander. So Jaime would have to play it. Jaime is gorgeous and I’d be right behind her.

If you weren't playing Loki and you could play one of the superheroes instead which superhero would you most want to play and why?

I’ve always loved the bad guys. I love Batman. Batman’s cool. Michael Keaton as Batman – I love Christian Bale but no one will surpass Michael Keaton for me. He was the best Bruce Wayne too because he was a bit off the wall and a bit weird.

I've recently named my cat after your character in Thor/The Avengers. Besides this, what is the proudest moment of your career?

Incredible! I’ve had so many amazing moments. I think it was the end of the day that we shot the scene in the middle of Thor between Odin and Loki in the vault when he finds out the truth of his origins. At the end of that day Ken [Branagh] came up to me and said, ‘You were brilliant today and I’m very proud of you’ and then on the way past, Tony Hopkins tapped Ken on the shoulder and said, ‘He’s alright, isn’t he, this kid, he’s alright’.

Joss Whedon

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/joss-whedon-social-media-interview/buffy-reboot

Gerry Keane wonders how bad was the urge to fondle Scarlett in her leather outfit? Dear Jerry – some things are actually anti-social media and should be kept to oneself.
But I will tell you a story that made me laugh. She was doing a scene, she had been off for awhile, everybody only worked a certain amount of days and she was doing a scene with Mark and they were both great in it.
But there was something she was doing that I was like, ‘This is extraordinary, it’s different to what I’ve seen her do before, I can’t put my finger on it what is it? That’s just so compelling…’
I was thinking about it and was talking to Seamus, the DP and I just realised – ‘I’ve been shooting dudes for awhile! Oh, it’s my latent heterosexuality.’
I told Scarlett that, she laughed. No, we’re just good friends. Let me also say this, Chris Hemsworth leather outfit wasn’t bad either.

Lula Madison wonders if there will there be a post-credits sequence at the end of The Avengers.

Well she’ll have to sit through it won’t she? That means no walking out. Having said that, if you’ve paid for it – you may walk out.

How long is The Avengers?
I believe it will be over 2 hours – just a bit, I’m not a fan of the 3 hours ‘Crunchapalooza’.
I love to tell a story as tightly as I can but it’s also an epic starring six or seven of the best actors out there so I was always going to spend some time with them.

What’s your favourite Marvel movie pre Avengers or your favourite superhero film in general, and that’s from David Smart.

There have only been a few Marvel movies... I would say Iron Man.
That was sort of a watershed moment having a guy of Downey’s calibre and having Gwyneth really grounding it and making it really true to the book, and it’s also got a bit of its own thing.
Also it was the beginning of this whole thing.

Last question, and it's from Adie Astill. Were you surprised to get the director's chair for The Avengers?
Not really, it was sort of a natural progression, I had been talking to Marvel for a long time on various projects that didn’t come through and I’ve known Kevin for a long time, we’re very compatible.
It just sort of made sense, I didn’t realise when I came in to talk about it, that I was even considering it or they were considering me.
It was more like they knew me and I was there to read the script and give them advice. Which I did, ‘chuck it’.
Then gradually after a few days, ‘Oh wait a minute, this seems to be happening.’
It makes sense because I’ve been working for a long time, it makes sense because it’s the sort of thing I do.
And it makes sense because Marvel, very wisely, give the projects to those who the experience will be a game-changer because they get someone with a vision that’s a little bit different and they don’t have to pay them that much.
Favreau, Branagh, myself – we’re all in a different sphere before and after and that’s useful and I think each one of them brought something very personal to their movies and I’ve definitely been able to do that with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"