The Avengers The Avengers roster for 2012

By the way... for Thor: I would like to see him as an psuedo-alien. He is from Asgard which is a planet at the core of our galaxy. Due to the stars being relatively clustered in that region of space, the principles of physics are quite different than what we experience here (in Midgard - midpoint of the radius from the core of the galaxy to the outer rim). Beings that evolve in Asgard would be exposed to greater cosmic radiation and gravity... space and time might even be dilated due to the warping of the time-space continuum, caused by all that energy and mass in the galaxy's core.

Thus, Asgardians have greatly developed physical characteristics and apparent immortality. They also have the ability to control various forms of energy. They are less advanced technologically, because they can perform many tasks through their great strength and sheer will (the need for technological discovery, and advancement just was never there). Space travel is even possible via the great powers they possess.

The Thor movie can deal with a conflict between Thor and Loki on Earth, where SHIELD became aware of Thor's presence. But they stayed back to monitor Thor, as his alter ego, Dr. Donald Blake. But now that they are forming a team they approach him with the proposal to join the Avengers...

By the way... for Thor: I would like to see him as an psuedo-alien. He is from Asgard which is a planet at the core of our galaxy. Due to the stars being relatively clustered in that region of space, the principles of physics are quite different than what we experience here (in Midgard - midpoint of the radius from the core of the galaxy to the outer rim). Beings that evolve in Asgard would be exposed to greater cosmic radiation and gravity... space and time might even be dilated due to the warping of the time-space continuum, caused by all that energy and mass in the galaxy's core.

Thus, Asgardians have greatly developed physical characteristics and apparent immortality. They also have the ability to control various forms of energy. They are less advanced technologically, because they can perform many tasks through their great strength and sheer will (the need for technological discovery, and advancement just was never there). Space travel is even possible via the great powers they possess.

The Thor movie can deal with a conflict between Thor and Loki on Earth, where SHIELD became aware of Thor's presence. But they stayed back to monitor Thor, as his alter ego, Dr. Donald Blake. But now that they are forming a team they approach him with the proposal to join the Avengers...

Or we could just have him be a Thunder God.

Hell, it's not even that (although that is annoying). It's just a long way to go to get what we already have. Will I have to take notes during Thor's origin? Will there be a pamphlet?

He's a God. Deal with it.

:thing: :doom: :thing:

Technically hes a god (lower case) which is why people shouldnt care in the first place

Roster Id like to see

Captain America
Thor
Iron man
Ant-Man
Hulk
Nick Fury

maybe Wasp, definitely Black Widow and Hawkeye in a similar role as their Ultimate roles (SHIELD liason type roles for the Avengers)

You guys really think we can afford to give screen time to characters like Hawkeye and Black Widow... even if it involved small roles... it still screams X-3/SM3... you don't have to water those characters down as simply SHIELD agents.

Yes, the last thing we need is people forcing their religious views on us because they don't want to hear Thor called a God.

What the fu@k??? My little take has nothing to do with religion dumba$$. In a day of many sophisticated sci-fi / fantasy films, with audiences that have their eyes open... the "he is just a god, deal with it" approach is unimaginative and pretty narrow regarding the sensibilities of movie-goers.

But OK... I'll play. So he is a god... Where did he come from??? Another dimension??? Where is that??? Somewhere outside of our space-time continuum??? This all leads to an issue for the suspension of disbelief. I am as much of a movie and comic book geek as anyone, and if I am having a problem with just having a Thunder god show up in a flash of lightening, then I think others may as well.

I admit that perhaps I am making it more complicated that it needs to be... maybe just showing up with a loud thunder clap and saying "I am the Prince of Asgard" (like in that Hulk TV movie from forever ago) would work just fine. But please don't make assumptions about any religious undertones in my posts...

You guys really think we can afford to give screen time to characters like Hawkeye and Black Widow... even if it involved small roles... it still screams X-3/SM3... you don't have to water those characters down as simply SHIELD agents.

Well... there will be "things" going on in the background in the film. So having these characters just there as a part of the regular scene flow would not cause a sacrifice of any screen time, nor clutter the film, ala X3.

Last edited:

Id still keep them in some kind of costume.

X-3/SM3 were poorly written. Not because it had a lot of characters but they couldnt balance them. Just how many people thought more than one villain wouldnt work but Nolans Batman proved that wrong. You just have to balance it.

I dont see a reason to leave them out. They all fit a role.

Cap, Thor, and Iron MAn are getting the most screentime. Im sure if they want to put in the Hulk (which still seems like a 50/50 chance) Im sure it'll be about Banner as a non-field member with the Hulk as an ace in the whole. To early to say what they will do with Ant-Man, but with Fury, Widow, and Hawkeye, this could serve as a great introduction.

Fury could possibly have his own spinoff movie later, with Widow and Hawkeye in possible supporting role. Widow could show up in iron Man seqeul, and Hawkeye could show up in a Cap sequel. Marvel has so far implied of a shared universe where supporting characters (and sometimes lead characters) can move about freely among the films.

Last edited:
Just having them in SHIELD costumes hanging around can be a fun easter egg. Now of course we want the payoff some day. The costumes and everything.

What the fu@k??? My little take has nothing to do with religion dumba$$. In a day of many sophisticated sci-fi / fantasy films, with audiences that have their eyes open... the "he is just a god, deal with it" approach is unimaginative and pretty narrow regarding the sensibilities of movie-goers.

But OK... I'll play. So he is a god... Where did he come from??? Another dimension??? Where is that??? Somewhere outside of our space-time continuum??? This all leads to an issue for the suspension of disbelief. I am as much of a movie and comic book geek as anyone, and if I am having a problem with just having a Thunder god show up in a flash of lightening, then I think others may as well.

I admit that perhaps I am making it more complicated that it needs to be... maybe just showing up with a loud thunder clap and saying "I am the Prince of Asgard" (like in that Hulk TV movie from forever ago) would work just fine. But please don't make assumptions about any religious undertones in my posts...

Sorry, mistook you for the guy who a couple of months ago was arguing about "The One True God" considering calling Thor a god "Heresy".

Team:

Captain America- Leader of the team. Super Soldier found in ice.
Ironman- Billionare financial backer of the team.
Thor- Thunder God believed to be a mutant.
Wasp- Giant-Man's wife, millionare in the fashion industry. *
Giant-Man- Genius scientist who discovered pym particles.
Hulk (Primarily Banner)- Trying to crack the Super Soldier Serum as Banner.

SHIELD Liasons:

Nick Fury- Head of S.H.I.E.L.D., forms the team.
Black Widow- The Avengers S.H.I.E.L.D. Liason. *
Hawkeye- Black Widow's partner + lover. *
Sharon Carter- grand niece of Cap's lover from WW2. Assigned to Cap to help him readjust to the world after 66 years in a cyrogenic sleep. *

Villians:

Loki: The true force behind The Masters of Evil, under the human disguise of Erik Loken, terrorist. (Will of course reveal himself at the final batttle)
Baron Zemo: The grandson of one of Cap's enemies from the 1940s.
Songbird- Baron Zemo's lover + mutant with sonic lungs.*
Power Man- Pym's disgruntled assistant who helped him perfect the Giant-Man formula.*

*= Minor role.

I think that's a very good prediction of the characters but I am kinda hoping they leave Pym and his buddies and villains out of it. I would rather it be focused on the Cap and Tony and Bruce than anything else. I really like the SHIELD agents you have listed, too.

First off I don't really want Black Widow and Hakweye in the Avengers flick unless like someone mentioned as easter eggs. You see them in the background. A guy firing at targets with a hightech looking bow or a redhead interupting a scene whispering into Fury's ear giving him some pertinent information, leaving their fleshing out for the followup film. For the Thor issue, won't we be getting a whole background from his own movie so that by the time the Avengers happens he won't be just some random god just appearing in a puff of smoke? The movie goers will understand and know why he's here. He doesn't need a convoluted Alien/interdimensional backstory. By the time Avengers comes out the viewer will be educated in norse mythology.

I actually love this explanation:up: I'm not a thor purist i guess but i could sort of relate to this than some norse god i've barely heard of. Unless they did it like ultimates where he says he's a god and no one believes him:woot: but i don't want that I hate ultimates:cmad:

The only thing is how do explain the speech and saying he's a god? Or does he just talk funny and call everyone mortals because he can see them dying.

Why not make Superman the reincarnation of Jesus? Or maybe Wonder Woman should be the product of Genetic Experiments? Or how about we make Green Lantern a scientist who created his ring from a meteor and is now an Eco-Terrorist?

Why fix what ain't broke?

Kang
Sorry, mistook you for the guy who a couple of months ago was arguing about "The One True God" considering calling Thor a god "Heresy".

NP... I am sorry for reacting so strongly...

Marcvader
First off I don't really want Black Widow and Hakweye in the Avengers flick unless like someone mentioned as easter eggs. You see them in the background. A guy firing at targets with a hightech looking bow or a redhead interupting a scene whispering into Fury's ear giving him some pertinent information, leaving their fleshing out for the followup film.

That is exactly what I would like to see... Only true blues would even recognize them.

For the Thor issue, won't we be getting a whole background from his own movie so that by the time the Avengers happens he won't be just some random god just appearing in a puff of smoke? The movie goers will understand and know why he's here. He doesn't need a convoluted Alien/interdimensional backstory. By the time Avengers comes out the viewer will be educated in norse mythology.

I am talking about the Thor movie... not the Avengers. All my comments about "puff of smoke" are a reference to the Thor film. I just don't think that a discussion on Norse Mythology will suffice, as to explain who this guy is, that Donald Blake turns into. Thor was not created by Norse Mythology... the mythos was created around Thor. But who and what is he??? Where is he from??? How did the Norse culture come to worship him and the other Asgardians a millenium ago???

So, I see the "planet in the center of the galaxy" premise to be a good psuedo-scientific explanation to answer the "who, what, where and how" of it all... An explanation that people can get into. Like how Star Trek always concocts some sciency explanation for the amazing things that go on in those movies / episodes.

I liked gambits reply, how dc is tryina do something meaningful with someone not named batman,lol its so sad but true. I would like to see cap, iron man, thor, hulk, giantman/antman, wasp, vision, maybe introduce she-hulk, ms.marvel, black panther, and haweye. I know you can't really fit them all or give them all equal air time but mayb u don't need to, I like the idea of other members showing up at the end during a fight, in the mean time just have them mentioned early on. Im kinda having an ultimate avengers feeling. Id like an outside force to fight but ultimately end up with avengers versus hulk.

The only thing is how do explain the speech and saying he's a god? Or does he just talk funny and call everyone mortals because he can see them dying.

The premise there is that he and the other Asgardians have come to Earth before. They interacted with the people of Scandanavia centeruries ago. The Asgardians accordingly adapted Earth based languages, and really have no qualms about the worshipping and being referenced as gods. They did depart when conflicts were waged in there name... There can be a line that Thor is being sent back to Midgard to learn humility, and shall live without his Asgardian might, etc...

"I am talking about the Thor movie... not the Avengers. All my comments about "puff of smoke" are a reference to the Thor film. I just don't think that a discussion on Norse Mythology will suffice, as to explain who this guy is, that Donald Blake turns into. Thor was not created by Norse Mythology... the mythos was created around Thor. But who and what is he??? Where is he from??? How did the Norse culture come to worship him and the other Asgardians a millenium ago???"

So, I see the "planet in the center of the galaxy" premise to be a good psuedo-scientific explanation to answer the "who, what, where and how" of it all... An explanation that people can get into. Like how Star Trek always concocts some sciency explanation for the amazing things that go on in those movies / episodes.[/quote]
Gotcha, the thing is at least for me I don't want science involved when it comes to Thor. I liken the Norse gods to Greek or Roman gods. Just like there's a mythological place called Mount Olympus there's Asgard. I just picture these fictional places as misty faraway lands where they can watch us from afar. Now where do we literally place them, I don't know but to me the explanation has to be more magical or fantasy than scientific.

Last edited:
For the team, we should follow thew rule of K.I.S.S:

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Ant-Man
Wasp
Hulk (not a member until the end of the film...before that, he is a threat)

I don't count Fury as a member, though he should be heavily involved. We don't have enough time for more than these people in reality. This movie will only really work cause most of the characters will have been introduced prior in their solo films. For non-established characters, I think Ant-Man is the best choice. I would only throw Wasp in there for the sake of having a female team member and her and Pym would give each other depth.

As for the Thor thing I am seeing discussion about, he is a god. If they try to make him an alien, then they shouldn't do the movie. If Marvel went away from Thor as a god, then Marvel shows a lack of confidence in their own material, and shouldn't be running a movie studio. You can change certain things, but a core aspect like that needs to be maintained. Granted, Thor presents a problem in that we need a threat that can hurt him and a reason he'd need to be involved, but there are many ways to do this. The Cosmic Cube, Skrull invasion, etc. Since I would use the Hulk as a threat, there is a money fight for us all to see. Plus, Thor is most likely to be exiled from Asgard at the end of his movie (I haven't read the script people seem to have read, so don't spoil it for me if you have!), so Thor's arc in the film should center around coming to appreciate his surroundings. In this way, his journey and Cap's would be similar: Warriors that were tossed out of their element and into this period. This is a good basis for their relationship potentially.

That's my two cents anyway. Remember, keep it simple stupid!!!

Why fix what ain't broke?

First I don't think that it fundamentally changes who Thor is... and the Hulk underwent a major revamping into his origin (a failed Bioforce Enhancement project v. exposure to a nuclear blast). The failed experiment was more palpatable than the nuclear blast. I feel the same way about an embellishment to establish Thor a from another planet, rather then from a mytical otherworld... For comics, especially 40-50 years ago, that was fine... It is fine in the books today because of that history... But the movie could use a modernization of the backstory.

What needs to be modernized about being a god? Nothing that's what. And Hulk was born in science. His update was still science. Thor is rooted in magic and fantasy and you want to make him Superman or the Eternals.

That's like turning the Lord of the Rings into a Sci Fi movie. It's fundamentally flawed.

I think that's a very good prediction of the characters but I am kinda hoping they leave Pym and his buddies and villains out of it. I would rather it be focused on the Cap and Tony and Bruce than anything else. I really like the SHIELD agents you have listed, too.

Honestly, Pym is much more important to the Avengers team than Hulk, and I would be VERY dissapointed if the Pyms weren't in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"