The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

If you have to fall back on pure "my opinion", while rejecting all possible means of supporting it, it kind of says it all right there. Bluntly, if critics like the movie better, and the general public likes the movie better, as measured by multiple different metrics? Then you can totally hold to the opinion of "I like ____ movie better." "____ movie is better", however, is not an opinion, because it *can*, in fact, be measured, via things like "how many people like it."

Personally, I feel anyone should be able to decipher between subjective opinion and objective consideration based upon what I know of a subject in a logical, academic sense.

But no one else seems to even comprehend that the two concepts can be mutually exclusive.

If you have to fall back on pure "my opinion", while rejecting all possible means of supporting it, it kind of says it all right there. Bluntly, if critics like the movie better, and the general public likes the movie better, as measured by multiple different metrics? Then you can totally hold to the opinion of "I like ____ movie better." "____ movie is better", however, is not an opinion, because it *can*, in fact, be measured, via things like "how many people like it."

Then people should be smart enough to see a site like Metacritic has very different takes on which film is received better, between TDKR and TA, but certain posters, as one who was just posting on the last page, wouldn't even hear of it. Poor judgment trying to make a point but not listing all the facts.

She might be the strongest but she's definitely not the prettiest.

Strongest, richest though...that's two out of three. Can't really think of someone who's all three, lol.

People should really learn to be content with their OWN opinions and not be so concerned with how other people see things. Because we all bring our own uniqueness to every film we watch and no film hits everybody exactly 100% the same way.

I agree, it's fun to discuss the pros and cons of movies with people, especially if they have a different opinion. The moment people start trying to actually force change in someone else's opinion is when the it's no longer fun.

I have always believed these two are the same person. Xerxes just corrected an aging serum, that's all.
The ironic thing about picking Xerxes is, what I described is pretty much the antithesis of democracy. And it was the Athens an defeat of Xerxes' army at the Battle of Marathon that is largely thought of as one of the earliest defining moments for a democratic people.

:o

I preferred Avengers, but I grew up reading Marvel comics. I still really enjoyed TDKR.

No need to argue people. Opinions are like a$$holes...

This thread is actually pretty hilarious looking back :funny:

TA: 9.8/10
TDKR: 9.5/10

Very, very close.....

The Dark Knight Rises = 9.5/10
Marvel's The Avengers = 7/10

The poll accompanying this thread always puts a smile on my face. Before TDKR came out the majority here assumed that it was going to not only out-earn The Avengers but get better reviews as well. Interestingly enough, the same predictions were made about Man of Steel and Iron Man 3. Some people never learn. :doh:

Over the past few weeks TDKR has been in heavy rotation on HBO and I have watched it a couple of times. My film criticism professor insisted that it is impossible to fully evaluate any film without multiple viewings, since certain aspects will dominate one's perception the first time out. I have to say, the more I see of TDKR, the weaker I find the film to be. The rationale given by Bane for nuking all of Gotham was laughably muddled. If the city's elite and political power structure were so corrupt, how would killing every citizen, including the poor he claimed to be setting free, improve things? It made a bizarre sort of sense, in a way, because it mirrored the ridiculous reasoning behind having Batman take the fall for Harvey Dent's crimes in TDK.

Most nonsensical of all was the stoic calmness with which the people of Gotham awaited the nuclear incineration Bane promised them. In most cities, people would rise up against the terrorists in their midst in such a situation. As chaotic as Gotham supposedly was, it's safe to assume that many of the citizens were armed. Why wouldn't they rebel against Bane, knowing that he intended to slaughter them all? For that matter, the scene in the stadium was ludicrous since a massive stampede would have been triggered by the implosion in any real sports venue. The sight of Bane's gun-toting henchmen would just have made people run faster; they would probably have been trampled before getting off many rounds. There wouldn't have been an orderly, silent crowd listening to Bane's lilting speech because they would have been long gone.

TDKR is so chock full of badness that I could go on and on. The fight choreography was as bad as any I've ever seen, with neither Batman nor Bane showing any particular skill. The strangely clean sewer cops charging Bane's thugs straight up, running into gunfire without using their own weapons, was just plain stupid. Apparently the Securities & Exchange Commission in Nolan's America is even more inept than the Gotham PD if it couldn't stop fraudulent stock transactions committed during a televised raid on an exchange. And so on. At its heart TDKR was simply a badly-written mess of a movie with far too many logical inconsistencies to be taken it as seriously as it insists on taking itself.

I agree with this. The more you watch TDKR the worse it gets but it is still leaps and bounds above every other 3rd superhero movie.

BB - Best superhero origin? - Highly debateable.

TDK - Best superhero sequel? - I personally think it's the best superhero movie, period.

TDKR - Best superhero 3rd movie - Look at the competition for Pete's sake. X3, SM3, Blade Trinity, Superman 3, Batman Forever, IM3. All of those movies range from disappointing to out and out crap.

The poll accompanying this thread always puts a smile on my face. Before TDKR came out the majority here assumed that it was going to not only out-earn The Avengers but get better reviews as well. Interestingly enough, the same predictions were made about Man of Steel and Iron Man 3. Some people never learn. :doh:

Over the past few weeks TDKR has been in heavy rotation on HBO and I have watched it a couple of times. My film criticism professor insisted that it is impossible to fully evaluate any film without multiple viewings, since certain aspects will dominate one's perception the first time out. I have to say, the more I see of TDKR, the weaker I find the film to be. The rationale given by Bane for nuking all of Gotham was laughably muddled. If the city's elite and political power structure were so corrupt, how would killing every citizen, including the poor he claimed to be setting free, improve things? It made a bizarre sort of sense, in a way, because it mirrored the ridiculous reasoning behind having Batman take the fall for Harvey Dent's crimes in TDK.

Most nonsensical of all was the stoic calmness with which the people of Gotham awaited the nuclear incineration Bane promised them. In most cities, people would rise up against the terrorists in their midst in such a situation. As chaotic as Gotham supposedly was, it's safe to assume that many of the citizens were armed. Why wouldn't they rebel against Bane, knowing that he intended to slaughter them all? For that matter, the scene in the stadium was ludicrous since a massive stampede would have been triggered by the implosion in any real sports venue. The sight of Bane's gun-toting henchmen would just have made people run faster; they would probably have been trampled before getting off many rounds. There wouldn't have been an orderly, silent crowd listening to Bane's lilting speech because they would have been long gone.

TDKR is so chock full of badness that I could go on and on. The fight choreography was as bad as any I've ever seen, with neither Batman nor Bane showing any particular skill. The strangely clean sewer cops charging Bane's thugs straight up, running into gunfire without using their own weapons, was just plain stupid. Apparently the Securities & Exchange Commission in Nolan's America is even more inept than the Gotham PD if it couldn't stop fraudulent stock transactions committed during a televised raid on an exchange. And so on. At its heart TDKR was simply a badly-written mess of a movie with far too many logical inconsistencies to be taken it as seriously as it insists on taking itself.
I agree with every word; spot on critique of the film.

Same with me. I'm finding it weaker and weaker with each viewing, which is sorta the opposite feeling I got with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Both great films in what they set out to achieve which were two very different things, but they both did them well.

TDKR just edged it for me but thats probably because I am Batman fan more than an Avenegrs fan in the first place.

I'm just glad both exist as they both put a smile on my face for differing reasons, both films deserve huge credit for being two of the leaders of the genre:up:

The Avengers. Both were fantastic films, but TDKR falters in quite a few places compared to its competition. Avengers simply just has it beat.

• Rises has some awesome fights between Bruce and Bane, but otherwise Avengers has more memorable set pieces.
  • Rises's score is catchy but still too minimalist for my tastes, while Avengers is old school superhero goodness courtesy of Silvestri. Plus, "Live to Rise" is a pretty kickass song. :cwink:
  • Rises has a pretty big story to tell, but the pacing is not this film's strong suit. Avengers seems to jump from scene to scene without too much trouble, but there are times in Rises where you feel those 165 minutes.
  • Lastly, I know Bane was going to leave Bruce incapacitated for a portion of the movie, but in a movie that's close to three hours, could we have at least seen a little more of Batman, considering unlike Avengers, he's virtually the only costumed hero in this movie?

The poll's closed, but I'll say I'd rate both movies more or less the same, around 3.5-4 out of 5.

They're very different movies but both had weaknesses to me. Basically TDKR was very good but the last 20 or 30 minutes lowered the level for me.

I agree with this. The more you watch TDKR the worse it gets but it is still leaps and bounds above every other 3rd superhero movie.

BB - Best superhero origin? - Highly debateable.

TDK - Best superhero sequel? - I personally think it's the best superhero movie, period.

TDKR - Best superhero 3rd movie - Look at the competition for Pete's sake. X3, SM3, Blade Trinity, Superman 3, Batman Forever, IM3. All of those movies range from disappointing to out and out crap.
icon14.gif

I don't know about Iron Man 3 but I'd have to watch Iron Man 3 again. I liked Iron Man 3, but some aspects of Iron Man 3 did bug me (and I'm not even talking about the whole Mandarin thing that was completely blown out of proportion because there are bigger problems with the movie than that).

I don't know about Iron Man 3 but I'd have to watch Iron Man 3 again. I liked Iron Man 3, but some aspects of Iron Man 3 did bug me (and I'm not even talking about the whole Mandarin thing that was completely blown out of proportion because there are bigger problems with the movie than that).

I loved the Mandarin twist. I thought the Extremis plot sucked (especially the bad guys). Never took any of the Extremis bad guys seriously.

I decided to retry Avengers. Liked it even less.

TDKR - 10/10
TA - 6/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"