The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

I'll wait until more American reviews are released to compare the two.
While this is true, it's being reviewed by top critics and they're talking about it as if it's the second coming. This is a very, very good sign. Many of the critics on RT now are critics who typically judge these kinds of films harshly. Also they're praising dialogue, which you almost never hear.

So I'm reading about the one reviewer who called Avengers rotten and she seems to be some sort of WB plant. Plus I just learned that Rotten Tomatoes is owned by WB. Weird. They apparently withheld fresh reviews of Captain America when it first came out so that their horrible rom/com would get the jump on the weekend.

This is disheartening. I usually trusted RT now I see it's just business as usual.

:cap: :cap: :cap:

So I'm reading about the one reviewer who called Avengers rotten and she seems to be some sort of WB plant. Plus I just learned that Rotten Tomatoes is owned by WB. Weird. They apparently withheld fresh reviews of Captain America when it first came out so that their horrible rom/com would get the jump on the weekend.

This is disheartening. I usually trusted RT now I see it's just business as usual.

:cap: :cap: :cap:

Oh and I suppose WB planted all those good reviews of Green Lantern as well?

:whatever:

Someone didn't like The Avengers... get over it

The woman hated every Marvel movie. She loved Twilight and Drive Angry. She said War Horse was rotten. She loved Green Hornet.

Nowhere in my post did I say anything bad about your precious Batman... so dial back the contrariety a bit and investigate a little on your own.

The Captain America stuff isn't a rumor. Rotten Tomatoes is owned by WB. They want their movies to do well and a little scheduling is all it takes to artificially alter the rating early. They actually held back the first reviews that were favorable a few days.

And no amount of scheduling would have helped Green Lantern. Do you have to break out the sophist arguments ever time you imagine some sort of slight to your fetish involving Batman?

:hal: :hal: :hal:

''Involving Batman?''

Who brought up Batman... oh thats right you and your own insecure argument involving those who dislike your fetish for Marvel.

Last edited:
Don't act like that didn't have any bearing on your post. You are Team Batman and I brought up The Avengers. I questioned the credibility of said reviewer and you thought you'd strike back.

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Don't assume anything about me... I dont do teams.

I'll be there Friday night, handing over my money and enjoying The Avengers. And should it impress me enough, I will sing its praises... just as I did with Iron Man, Thor, Captain America.

Batman fan or not...

So all those reasons I gave don't make you suspicious at all?

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Frankly... having done some quick research of my own on this reviewer just now, she does seem like the annoyingly obvious type who likes to go against the grain, regardless of a films quality.

I wouldn't put too much stock in her opinion.

But I still don't think the higher ups at WB care an awful lot about RT... they have taken their fair share of blows in this genre... and even if they did withold some good Captain America reviews, it didn't affect that films performance in the least.

WB plant or not, most films have a negative nancy or two no matter how well reviewed they are. I won't be surprised if Avengers stays in the ninties. The kind of praise I've read in the good reviews indicates the critics found it to be a good film and not just entertaining. We've already read reviews praising the story, the character development, the dialogue. None of these reviews have been "ooohhh, pretty colors and explosions", it's more "wow, this is actually quite good".

The real question is, with all of those great reviews, will Armond White like the film?

Oh god, people are still persisting with that WB conspiracy nonsense for Cap?

People are still talking about that?

Please, it got all it's reviews in and it got a great percentage.

Captain America was one of the few movies ever before its release that I had no doubt that it wouldn't suck after seeing the second full trailer.

People still talk about it because it was anomalous. I've never seen a movie open with *that* low a RT rating, and then rise that much days later.

I doubt it was some WB conspiracy; it probably was just a coincidence. However, acting like it wasn't weird doesn't help your case.

Oh god, people are still persisting with that WB conspiracy nonsense for Cap?
It's exactly what they did though. Friends with Benefits is horrible but they held back bad reviews and held back good reviews for Cap. Metacritic had them nearly two and three days before. I mean I don't really care and I don't think it accomplished too much. It was more about promoting Friends with Benefits than it is trashing Cap.

This competition just got really interesting. Avengers will do massive numbers, and the audience I was with loved it.

I don't think the new Spidey has much of a chance this year.

Box Office Mojo:

The Dark Knight Rises: The Dark Knight is the second-highest grossing comic book adaptation ever overseas with $469 million—still, compared to its domestic total of $533 million, that seems like an unremarkable number. In the four years since that movie was released, though, the international marketplace has expanded significantly, and The Dark Knight seems to be highly regarded (two years later, Christopher Nolan's Inception earned $533 million overseas). The promise that this is the end of Nolan's Batman story should also help, and the movie has a very good chance of becoming one of the highest-grossing movies ever on an overseas basis.
Forecast: $850 million

The Avengers: The five lead-in movies for The Avengers didn't quite breakout overseas—the biggest entry thus far is Iron Man 2 with around $312 million. Bringing the whole team together, though, to fight a large global threat should give the movie a huge boost. A nice comparison here is Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which brought wide-scale destruction to the city of Chicago (similar to what The Avengers is doing to New York City) and improved a healthy 78 percent over its predecessor.
Forecast: $580 million

This is purely foreign totals... I personally think they've estimated TDKR a little high. But Inception did surprise me.

Box Office Mojo:

This is purely foreign totals... I personally think they've estimated TDKR a little high. But Inception did surprise me.

More than a little high. I think their foreign estimate for TDKR is insane. Chop 200M off that, and I think you have a more realistic guess.

Critics submit their own reviews to RottenTomatoes when they decide and they decide whether or not it's fresh or rotten. If they held back or altered the reviews of other critics, don't you think the critics would take issue with it? Not everyone likes every movie. Let it go.

I have to admit I don't think its right to compare these movies, they're very very different but if I hadf to choose one it'd be Avenger's. The movie blew me away, it was a nerd's dream and I am a nerd. I haven't yet seen the Dark Knight Rises nor has anybody but I reckon I will enjoy rewatching the Avenger's a whole lot more it has a more uplifting vibe than Nolan's Bat movies in my opinion.

PS. I'm a DC guy aswell but Avenger's has set the standard in my opinion

Uplifting is sooo last decade. :o

...I saw Avengers, and I've realized something:

If you have to say "This movie is as good/better than TDK/SM2/X2/Whatever", chances are....its probably not.

I watched Avengers thinking it'd be Marvel's TDK like everyone was saying.

It wasn't.

...I saw Avengers, and I've realized something:

If you have to say "This movie is as good/better than TDK/SM2/X2/Whatever", chances are....its probably not.

I watched Avengers thinking it'd be Marvel's TDK like everyone was saying.

It wasn't.

I never thought it was going to be TDK. Mainly because it didn't have to be. And then because its pledge was the quantity of superheroes and superb action scenes. Nolan's bat-movies have been all about the character development and realism and that's what made them triumph. So I don't see how Avengers could hjave ever supposed to be a TDK.

I see this "competition" (for those who want it to be) as what movie is going to satisfy comic fans' wet dreams the most. The better movie will be selected according to that premise... or BO numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"