The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (The Coen Brothers)

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
The Coen Brothers’ ‘Ballad of Buster Scruggs’ Is a Movie Now; Will Crash Oscar Season

http://collider.com/ballad-of-buster-scruggs-movie-coen-brothers/#images

The Coen Brothers have a knack for surprising people, but this is above and beyond. In January 2017, it was announced that the Oscar-winning No Country for Old Men filmmakers would be making their first foray into television with Annapurna TV. The project was a Western anthology series called The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, and Annapurna teased “an innovative television and theatrical integrated approach.” Soon thereafter Netflix picked up distribution, and filming began as folks awaited this highly anticipated six-episode TV series to debut sometime in either late 2018 or 2019.

Well that’s not the case anymore. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs appeared on the lineup for the Venice Film Festival today, and Variety confirms that the project is now a movie, and it’s coming out this Oscar season. Yes indeed, the Coen Brothers are at it again.

Tim Blake Nelson plays the titular Buster Scruggs, and the ensemble also includes Liam Neeson, Zoe Kazan, and Tom Waits, but plot details are unclear. Initially it was announced that the TV series would tell six separate stories, so it’s unknown if this is still six stories or if that’s been shortened. I’d love to hear the inside story of how this project morphed from a six-hour limited series to a (presumably) two-hour film.

bIIXPqj.jpg

Whoa. Well, I trust their judgement and am looking forward to this anyway.

Dang. So Netflix has movies from The Coens, Scorsese, Alfonso Cuaron and Orson Welles out this year. Cool.

This should have been called The Tall Tale of Buster Skruggs. It looks like a tall tale, and wonderfully absurd.

I remember being very confused when The Ballad of Lefty Brown came out last year and thinking "huh, is that the new Coens? It doesn't look like the Coens..."

From the reviews I've read of this it sounds like there is a lot to like about the project but that it might have worked better overall as a miniseries.

Anyone got a gif of Tim Blake Nelson dusting off at the end?

It's such a perfect time to release this movie with all the Red Dead 2 hype.

Wow, the first segment is chilling.

the one with the dude with no arms and legs was out there had no idea he was played by Harry Potter's Muggle cousin wow.

Finished this last night.

At first I didn't much care for the titular, opening episode (just seemed like a cartoon and not really a progression for the Coens) but in retrospect it does a good job setting up the tone, themes, and aesthetic of the anthology and it's definitely the most entertaining of the lot.

However, I didn't fully like an episode until the Tom Waits prospector one. Aside from the fact that its ending wasn't as predictably dour as the rest of them, it had the best visual storytelling of the bunch. and I want to name a band "Measly Skunk."

"The Gal Who Got Rattled" to me is the clear high-point--still has all the excellent craft but also has nuance and characters that feel like actual people. it's deservedly the longest episode but at the same time it feels rather odd to have an episode that long in comparison to the others. The ending is brutal but at least it is interesting and brutal, and goes well with the episode's compelling conversations about fear and faith and the interplay there. The actors were all outstanding, but especially Bill Heck. Zoe Kazan was also really good, though, and I wasn't prepared for Mr. Arthur's emergence at the end there, Grainger Hines killed it. In retrospect the title plate has an "oh, crap" impact--maybe the one title plate that really brought something to the experience.

But then there's the harsh comedown of finishing with "The Mortal Remains," which I frankly hated because now it was like we went from Coen Bros doing a primo Western tale to them doing an overwrought, overwritten play as their closing chapter, and one that's Edgar Allan Poe stylings didn't really feel in keeping with the rest of the anthology. I didn't enjoy it at all (couldn't wait for it to end, really, and it wasn't even half an hour long) and when it faded to the closing of the book, it was hard not to shrug.

While there are thematic (the basic theme being that life sucks, with nearly every episode building to that "punchline"), tonal, and aesthetic connections between the stories in the anthology, it doesn't really feel like they are adding up to something, or even enhancing each other that much. They kind of just exist together in the same movie and some of them are good and some of them aren't. I do think there is some cognitive dissonance because I keep thinking of it as a TV show that was edited into a movie and even if that wasn't the case, I think the mind would take more to the stories being separate episodes. I would say that maybe some of the shorter ones could have been fleshed out more but I think the only one I'd really want more of is the Franco one, and there maybe just a few more minutes (definitely feels like some stuff was cut out after the hang-tree scene and so the ending, which is good but abrupt, barely has a chance to register as anything other than a cruel joke preceded by a grace note that has no context with Franco's character--and maybe that sort of brief, blunt nature is what that episode's about, but I do think it could have been a little bit more than it was).

Now I'mma rank them and rate them because I can!

1. "The Gal Who Got Rattled" - 4/5
2. "All Gold Canyon" - 3/5
3. "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" - 3/5
4. "Near Algodones" - 3/5
5. "Meal Ticket" - 1/5
6. "Mortal Remains" - 1/5

1. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs | 9/10
2. All Gold Canyon | 9/10
3. Meal Ticket | 8.5/10
4. The Gal Who Got Rattled | 8/10
5. Near Algodones | 8/10
6. The Mortal Remains | 7.5/10

The first one was pretty much a Tex Avery cartoon.

I liked the first two episodes. The others felt pointless. The prospector one and the Liam Neeson one were tedious as hell. Honestly, by the end, this whole thing felt like a waste of time. I ordinarily love the Coens, but I would put this among their worst.

I didn’t like this at all. Depressing and pointless. Many of the stories just plodded along and felt like a waste of time. This is definitely not one of their better efforts.

I get what you might mean in some cases. The James Franco one kind of felt like nothing perhaps incidentally by it being cut down. But the pointlessness was the point to all of these stories and the unifying theme. That's something they deal with a lot besides the inevitability of death. There's the bridge of absurdity between those themes and it's why the Coen's manage to cross between drama and comedy when exploring those. This might be the Coen's most nihilistic film.

This wasn't perfect, but all around I really liked this. Some of the stories could have benefited from being longer and as episodes but all around it felt like a Coen Bros. Book of the Dead with a 1950's Technicolor touch.

The prologue from A Serious Man could have fit in here somewhere.

All Gold Canyon was my favorite.

Last edited:
I liked the first two episodes. The others felt pointless. The prospector one and the Liam Neeson one were tedious as hell. Honestly, by the end, this whole thing felt like a waste of time. I ordinarily love the Coens, but I would put this among their worst.

I feel like Meal Ticket might have been a momentum killer for you. All Gold Canyon and The Gal Who Got Rattled really are the best two in my opinion, but Meal Ticket did kind of put me in a foul mood (and the last one is even worse).

I agree with others that the cheapness of human life, the cruelty of humans, the nihilism... that's sort of the point here, but the way each episode kind of builds to a sort of cruel punchline is a bit repetitive and much--it really works in the case The Gal Who Got Rattled, though, because it connects with the story's other themes and then All Gold Canyon is a refreshing change of tone from the rest.

The Mortal Remains was also kind of insufferable. I know some people who actually like Meal Ticket for its commentary on commerce and art but I think most agree that the last one is a bit of a failed experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"