The Batcave Lounge aka The Batusi

I'm sorry, I just don't get it. I tried, I've hung out at lots of shows, just ain't for me :funny:.

I love The Birthday Party and The Pogues but that's about the closest I get.

I don't like punk either tbh but I do like some 80s post punk tho

Pop punk is fun and has a sense of humour. Even if it’s more commercial and not really my thing I’d still take it over hardcore. Plus, generally involves a more serious level of musicianship which matters way more to me than having some sort of idealized posture of punk integrity.

In general, I don’t like ‘scenes’ that get more hung up on a lifestyle or posture than talent or art.

Last edited:
@AndyTrevino I guess it depends on the year. They fit that period where post-punk was just getting going and they contributed a bit to it once the 80s come around. Its a cop out answer but you could say they're both punk and post-punk imo, just depends on what album

Ehhh, I'd much rather take authentic punk over the crap that most people seem to consider "punk" nowadays i.e. Fallout Boy and Panic At The Disco.

Blink 182 is fine I guess, depending on the song, and I really like Green Day.

I don't like any of those tbh probs just the one genre where I just can't get into any aspect or period of it. I would agree that authentic stuff during periods of innovation are almost always going to be better than when it gets revived and cookie cutter though

Unrelated: do you like Radiohead Andy?

I love Radiohead very muchhh

If I can be a shill real quick, I would say the best overall best starter album for people is probably In Rainbows. It's 40 minutes, pretty accessible and contains elements of all of their sounds. If you're going to listen to one song from In Rainbows to test it I would go with "Weird Fishes" or "Reckoner." A Moon Shaped Pool (most recent album) is beautiful too but much more mellow and melancholic than IR, which makes it harder for some people to get into ("Burn the Witch" is on it and basically as "upbeat" as it gets for that album).

Whenever I'm in a Radiohead mood I usually just worship Kid A & Amnesiac, imo that's one of the greatest album duos ever made, up there with Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden & Laughing Stock. If you want more experimentation and electronic influence I would go with Kid A - but otherwise stick to In Rainbows if you do want to take a dive. OK Computer is great obviously but to me Kid A is even stronger and more important for being such a great left field change. If you love "Karma Police" or "Paranoid Android" go with OK Computer though because that album is pretty consistent in style

Keep in mind I love mopey music a lot so it depends on if you dig that. Their discography is great, great development as it goes along

I’m a Kid A type Radiohead fan. That electronic, kraut rock era of their sound is more my cup of tea. Although OK Computer is their classic.

As for punk. I was raised on funk/soul and then it was hip-hip courtesy of my older brother. At a VERY young age lol. But when I hit 13 and started hanging out with musicians, that’s when I became a metalhead. Then prog. Then a mix of English psych, dub, jazz, salsa, Turkish psych, shoegaze, synthwave. I mean it was one phase after another and I would get DEEP into each genre (I’ve always had an OCD type personality when it came to the things I was passionate about).

But being a teenager and deep into metal was important. Punk wasn’t my thing in those days and it wasn’t until a few years ago where I finally came around to Punk Rock. I’m not heavily into it or anything but when I dabble it’s usually early Wipers, At The Drive In, Bad Brains. Stuff like that. In small doses though. I appreciate the mindset more than the music overall. Maybe if I grew up going to those shows, I’d have a different outlook.

@shauner111 I relate to that big time. I NEED to know everything I can about the music I love, I need to understand every band member and whose doing what, reading any interviews I can find, where its recorded, who produced it, the b-sides, the decisions made in the process, etc. It's my favourite thing in the world. I get really obsessive about music in particular but also just things I love, although it can be frustrating because it'll never leave my mind (like this movie lol).

Like you mentioned, I love going through massive musical phases where I can nerd out to a band for multiple months at a time and then just cycle it around - I always know I can go back to the stuff I love and it'll be fresh when I'm done with the "current" phase. Good feeling when you put that album back on that you love and haven't listened to in several months. When you listen to a bunch of stuff you can literally never get burned out as long as you cycle around

Re: RH: Kid A/Amnesiac/the b-sides like Fog, Worrywort, Orgy, etc are mint. I love A Moon Shaped Pool, The Bends (that also has some banging b-sides like Talk Show Host), In Rainbows, OKC, etc but nothing touches the soundscapes of that 2000-20001 era for me. Pyramid Song, Like Spinning Plates, Cuttooth (good call on the kraut stuff), Optimistic... all amazing but How to Disappear Completely is easily my fave RH song and probs in my top 10 songs of all time. Thom was something else in that era

Edit: Also, I wanted to add that Radiohead works incredibly well in movies and shows. always fun to hear them pop up in stuff like Westworld, Prisoners, Peaky Blinders etc

Last edited:
Dude we are one in the same even down to your fav Radiohead song! The end of Prisoners is just perfect (well, i’d actually let the song play for another 10 seconds). Film and music are the loves of my life lol.

yessss how to disappear is perfect man, the sound design, the strings, the vocals, the mix. Love it.

the quieter stuff on the King of Limbs is so underrated. You're right, Codex gets cut off a bit too early. I remember watching it for the first time freaking out, feeling like that Dicaprio pointing at the screen meme from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood lol

Codex brings me to tears every time. Brings up a lot of **** to the surface. Underrated album.

I wanna watch some Steven Seagal movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"