The Batman (1966) Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I know it plays on the Hub (I watch it almost every night) and there's also all the episodes on youtube but I want to own it. Plus I want a sizable amount of extras on that potential dvd/blu ray.

[YT]_WIvt6XuEaI[/YT]

[YT]u1iTVOPv3Og[/YT]

Burgess Meredith singing as The Penguin lololol :woot:

slideshow_1002210728_OBIT-MEREDITH.jpg

Great pics, Kane. It's nice to see some with the lovely Yvonne Craig.

To this day I still think the way her character kept her secret identity by wearing a long red haired wig under her cowl, when she was naturally a short haired brunette as Barbara Gordon was very clever.

As far as contributions to the villains go, Gorshin gets the biggest kudos for making Riddler an A-list Batman villain. I'd say Meredith is the second most influential on the character he played, since prior to the show, Penguin never had a waddling walk or a bird like laugh. Those were traits Meredith created and the comics incorporated.

Does anybody have Batman issues 426, 427, 428, or 429? Because i'm trying to find out which one of those comics this article was published in.

Even the faux article (one that probably would not have been written had Robin survived) that introduces the Death in the Family arc, “The death of a boy wonder,” aims to erase Batman’s less-than-glorious recent history once and for all. The opening image is that of a deceased Robin, torn and covered in blood and rubble. The violent depiction of the character most often associated with Dick Grayson’s effervescent, corny interpretation is quite jarring and frightening. Adding to the attempt at re-establishing dark realism in the world of Batman are two footnote entries in the article. One footnote deals with the cheesy tradition of adding a “bat” prefix to all of Batman’s gadgets, such as the “Batarang,” “Batcopter,” and “Bat-Glider.” It reads, “Academics of questionable credentials have advanced the claim that The Batman himself employed the “bat” prefixes. Given his grim temperament, it seems unlikely that he would have been so whimsical” (A Death in the Family).

A Batman message board on the official wenother note explores the infamous exclamations of “holy (insert relevant word here)” made famous by Burt Ward’s interpretation of Dick Grayson. It asserts that the aforementioned “academics of questionable credentials” claim that “The Batman actually instructed his protégés to employ dubious humor, particularly of the type I refer to as the ‘sub pun…’ Apparently, some citizens of the era found this droll. Although the Robins might have been capable of perpetrating such inanity – they were, let us remember, uneducated children – a man as intelligent as their mentor could not have encouraged it” (Death). The scholarly, no-nonsense approach of the article, written by the fictitious “Dr. Socrates S. Rodor professor emeritus of twentieth century history, Gotham University” instills some gravitas and “professionalism” upon the mythos. It is as if the author is saying, “Those previous blithe interpretations of Batman were incorrect. This is the real Batman.”

http://quicksandbuddy.xanga.com/726919203/batman-a-death-in-the-family/

Last edited:
As far as contributions to the villains go, Gorshin gets the biggest kudos for making Riddler an A-list Batman villain. I'd say Meredith is the second most influential on the character he played, since prior to the show, Penguin never had a waddling walk or a bird like laugh. Those were traits Meredith created and the comics incorporated.
Yes,Very true.

I found an interview with Adam West and Burt Ward on the Merv Griffin show back in 1966 when 60's Batmania was at an all time high:

[YT]w78vKDqXcYM[/YT]

I'd rather think there's also a downside to it. The Riddler was an obscure villain, correct, but when the "Grim Dark Batman" cult emerged poor Edward became some sort of scapegoat that was called a "loser", "silly", "gay" and whatever and was never taken really seriously after that.

Same happened to the Penguin who turned from Batman Villain Number 2 into someone most fans call "stupid".

Remember the days when The Joker and the Penguin were best-friends-forever?

I'd rather think there's also a downside to it. The Riddler was an obscure villain, correct, but when the "Grim Dark Batman" cult emerged poor Edward became some sort of scapegoat that was called a "loser", "silly", "gay" and whatever and was never taken really seriously after that.

Same happened to the Penguin who turned from Batman Villain Number 2 into someone most fans call "stupid".

I think Penguin's status began to really decline after Batman Returns. I've got some first class Penguin tales from the late 80's and early 90's like his Secret Origin's special tale, the two parter in Detective #610 & 611, and the three parter 'Penguin Affair' story in Batman. He was also a major foe in BTAS.

After Returns Penguin vanished off the radar for a couple of years. He was pointedly absent from Knightfall in 1993. When he came back he was turned into the Iceberg Lounge owner crime boss type.

I think he has regained his notoriety and status in Batman's rogues gallery over the last few years. For example did you read that great 'Penguin: Pain or prejudice' mini he had earlier this year? I loved his major role in Arkham City, too.

Remember the days when The Joker and the Penguin were best-friends-forever?

penguin_02.jpg

4de540e7a2408_zps1c646988.jpg

17_zps75a45901.jpg

Last edited:
I think Penguin's status began to really decline after Batman Returns. I've got some first class Penguin tales from the late 80's and early 90's like his Secret Origin's special tale, the two parter in Detective #610 & 611, and the three parter 'Penguin Affair' story in Batman. He was also a major foe in BTAS.

Yeah, those are good stories."Snow and Ice, Part 1: Ode To A Penguin" was the first introduction of The Penguin into the Post-Crisis Batman. It was very effective to let the Penguin "die" and then have characters at his funeral talk about him. This gave him some sort of aura for modern times.

qyuvk5.jpg

And I liked the idea of having a "Nazi inventor" called Otto to provide him his weapons because he blackmailed him. Too bad they didn't use him more.

bbfxu.jpg

Of course, this "new" Penguin somewhat ruined that they still couldn't restrain themselves from adding a Silver Age "I MUST LEAVE BATMAN A CLUE" part.

After Returns Penguin vanished off the radar for a couple of years. He was pointedly absent from Knightfall in 1993. When he came back he was turned into the Iceberg Lounge owner crime boss type.

Obviously a correct observation. The truth is that Denny O'Neil doesn't like the Penguin at all and told his writers not to use him. (Mike W. Barr also said that Denny felt that Batman should be impotent because of his parents' death and thus "Son of the Demon" could not be in continuity, but that's another matter).

Despite this in the early 70s when the Penguin returned to the Batman titles after six years, in "Hail Emperor Penguin", written by Denny, he had Batman refer to the Penguin as "next to the Joker, the greatest criminal genius we have ever tackled!".

dnoe2f.jpg

Well, what happened in the 90s? The Penguin was only a punching bag and frequently humiliated, only worthy of providing some information to Batman.

I think he has regained his notoriety and status in Batman's rogues gallery over the last few years. For example did you read that great 'Penguin: Pain or prejudice' mini he had earlier this year? I loved his major role in Arkham City, too.

Don't know. Also haven't read the story. I liked "The Killing Peck" well enough, except for some things.

Yeah, those are good stories."Snow and Ice, Part 1: Ode To A Penguin" was the first introduction of The Penguin into the Post-Crisis Batman. It was very effective to let the Penguin "die" and then have characters at his funeral talk about him. This gave him some sort of aura for modern times.

I love Snow and Ice. Alan Grant always had a good handle on how to write Penguin well. He also wrote 'The Killing Peck' in the Secret Origins Special.

Are you sure Snow and Ice was Penguin's first post-crisis story? I recall him appearing in Detective #568 in November 1986;

Detective_Comics_568.jpg

That was post crisis wasn't it?

Obviously a correct observation. The truth is that Denny O'Neil doesn't like the Penguin at all and told his writers not to use him. (Mike W. Barr also said that Denny felt that Batman should be impotent because of his parents' death and thus "Son of the Demon" could not be in continuity, but that's another matter).

That's very strange considering Denny was the one who wrote the very first Detective Comics Annual in the 80's, and used The Penguin as the villain in it. He was a very deadly and ruthless interpretation of the Penguin, too:

DennyPenguin1_zpsf30ebc54.jpg

DennyPenguin22_zps5abef233.jpg

Despite this in the early 70s when the Penguin returned to the Batman titles after six years, in "Hail Emperor Penguin", written by Denny, he had Batman refer to the Penguin as "next to the Joker, the greatest criminal genius we have ever tackled!".

Yes, I have that story. Great one, too. Talia is in it as well. Those return stories for the classic villains in the 70's like 'Hail Emperor Penguin' and 'Joker's Five Way Revenge' were gems.

Well, what happened in the 90s? The Penguin was only a punching bag and frequently humiliated, only worthy of providing some information to Batman.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the sitting around in the Iceberg Lounge type Penguin. It really limited Penguin was a villain. Doug Moench apparently wasn't a fan either when he brought Penguin out of the Lounge temporarily and back to the wily super villain role in Batman #548 and 549.

Btw, TruerTotheCore what is your opinion on the 1966 Batman show? Are you a fan? Do you have a favorite villain? Favorite episode?

Last edited:
It's clearly a pity that the penguin is now such a joke. They did a fine job at making him a threat again in the Batman. I know some people didn't like his kung fu abilities, but at least he was a worthy adversary.

Adam West has just turned 84...

Thank you for all of the birthday wishes. You really made my day. Here's to age. It won't catch up if you practice mental
Tai Chi.

267284_10151184600048024_906450819_n_zpsc365ac7f.jpg

Hope he had a good day!

I love Snow and Ice. Alan Grant always had a good handle on how to write Penguin well. He also wrote 'The Killing Peck' in the Secret Origins Special.

Are you sure Snow and Ice was Penguin's first post-crisis story? I recall him appearing in Detective #568 in November 1986;

That was post crisis wasn't it?

You took me to school here, I forgot about that story. Yes, "Eyrie" is a post-crisis story because Denny O'Neil was the editor and it's part of the "Legends" crossover which was the first one after the crisis. Still, in some way the whole "Post Crisis Batman" thing didn't really start until Starlin and Grant, since those early issues are so much different from what came later. Jason Todd is not a brat and Batman is actually a lot lighter than he was in the final days of pre-crisis under Doug Moench.

"Avatars of Vengeance", 'Tec #527:

5ej2v4.jpg

(of course, Batman calms down at the beginning of the next issue and explains that just his emotions got the upper hand)

And then under Denny O'Neil for the first few issues Batman was more written like this:

dwukgi.jpg

29gd3lz.jpg

Also following this, Mike W. Barr (who had his own interpretation of the Dynamic Duo) and Max Allan Collins wrote a pretty traditional 70s Batman. Frank Miller's "Year One" was already contradicted like one month after it came out, with "My Beginning and My Probable End" while they also explained why Catwoman was now a bad guy again in "Catch As Catscan" (which wouldn't even have been necessary since this was a new continuity).

The whole Bat-office at the time was a mess under Denny O'Neil, at least in the early days. Further example: Wolfman was already introducing a new Robin with Tim Drake but since Grant didn't know about it he was already setting up Anarky as the next Boy Wonder.

Well, long text: To me, despite "Eyrie", his appearances in "Suicide Squad" and a cameo here and there, "Snow and Ice" is the real post-crisis debut to me.

That's very strange considering Denny was the one who wrote the very first Detective Comics Annual in the 80's, and used The Penguin as the villain in it. He was a very deadly and ruthless interpretation of the Penguin, too:

Well, yes, but we do not really know what's behind that. It might have been that the editor demanded a Penguin story from Denny. Or whatever. It's just what I've heard. And since under his reign the Penguin wasn't really there it makes sense to me.

Yes, I have that story. Great one, too. Talia is in it as well. Those return stories for the classic villains in the 70's like 'Hail Emperor Penguin' and 'Joker's Five Way Revenge' were gems.

Yup.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the sitting around in the Iceberg Lounge type Penguin. It really limited Penguin was a villain. Doug Moench apparently wasn't a fan either when he brought Penguin out of the Lounge temporarily and back to the wily super villain role in Batman #548 and 549.

The Iceberg Lounge, again a concept stolen from the 1966 show, just that it was called "The Penguin's Nest" there. The should just turn the Penguin into a ruthless and truly untouchable crime boss, constantly at odds with the traditional mob.

When people go like "The Penguin is so silly, he's just a short and chubby guy who loves birds and has killer umbrellas"... I mean... it's dumb on so many levels. Virtually every Batman villain can be described as simplified and derogative as that...

Btw, TruerTotheCore what is your opinion on the 1966 Batman show? Are you a fan? Do you have a favorite villain? Favorite episode?

I am a fan. Mainly of the first season which I love. Unapologetically and also not in an "ironic" way. The second season is good enough, although the camp and self-awareness became a little bit too strong. The last season is, sadly, mostly unwatchable.

My favorite episodes are "The Purr-fect Crime" and "The Joker Is Wild". I also liked the one with Ma Parker and her family, "The Greatest Mother of Them All". I'm actually planning to rewatch the whole series as soon as I'm finished with the new Blu-Ray of Star Trek TNG. (I'm also planning to review all major Batman titles starting with Batman #217 and rating them, not only overall but also in various categories like "seriousness", "complexity", Batman's portrayal, whatever and then run some statistical analysis on on them).

My favorite villain is, overall, the Joker, since he just fit the style of all season. Romero is pretty scary, the combination of his antics, mustache and his 6'3'' stature made him the best foe for the Caped Crusader. That's why I give him the edge over the Riddler. Frank Gorshin, as great as he was, didn't feel like a physical threat. Not that he needed to be. But the Joker coming out of the statue, laughing and saying things like "Come out, C.W. Fields!" is just too awesome.

Ah, the snow and ice story, one of if not my favorite Penguin story

Just started getting into this show and I absolutely love it. I'm actually watching the episode "Deep Freeze" right now, pretty cool episode!

f12.jpg

Just started getting into this show and I absolutely love it. I'm actually watching the episode "Deep Freeze" right now, pretty cool episode!

f12.jpg

I always giggle every time I watch that episode because the stories of what a total ash hole Otto Preminger was to everyone are legendary. They all despised him. Based on what Adam West says about him in his autobiography, it was all justified.

He would do things like insult women on their looks and weight, stand close to someone and then ask someone else in a loud voice if that person was gay, tried to tell everyone how to act and what poor actors they were etc.

One funny story is the scene where Batman and Robin have to pick up the unconscious Mr. Freeze and put him in a block of ice, Adam said Preminger stiffened his body and resisted being picked up. Twice Adam tried to pick him up but he couldn't pick up over 200 pounds of resisting weight. So he "accidentally" stepped on Preminger's hand. After that Preminger let him pick him up.

Damn, he looks good for 84.

He really aged well. Burt not so much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija