The Batman (1966) Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to inform those of you who may not be 'in the know'. There's a cable channel called 'the HUB' that plays the old 60's Batman TV series each and every night at the same timeslot(same Bat Time, same Bat Channel). Over here, it's at 11:30 PM ET. Not sure if you guys get it in your area, on your provider...just thought I'd give anyone who didn't know yet the heads up, and to look out for it.

I watch it every night.

I got the 1966 movie on blu-ray for Xmas. It really looks terrific in HD. All those comic booky colors and costumes really look superb. Plus there's some wonder special features on it that are not on the DVD one.

Has anyone here read Back to the Batcave, Adam West's autobiography?

He comes across alot better than Burt Ward did in his book, thats for sure (I wasn't really that interested in the boy wonder's sexual escapades, certainly not in as much detail). West came across as humble, funny, full of wit and warmth... and it seems like a wise man who has come to terms with the role and his level of fame.

Until he starts discussing Tim Burton's Batman... He expressed his feelings eloquently and i respected them until:

''I was angry and profoundly disappointed when I was not asked to reprise the role... our batfans expected me to come back, and i had what i thought were some exciting ideas for a new one''

It all started sounding a little deluded for me at that point... I love the man to bits, but i never actually believed he was so convinced he should play the role in the 1989 version. :wow:

Wouldn't he have been 60 at the time of shooting???

Adam was a little nuts by 1989 that's for sure.

Yeah, I've got his autobiography, and that part was hilarious. I think he honestly thought the 60's campy Batman was still in high demand back then.

A little appreciation for the Catwomen.
500x_CatwomanFinal1.jpg

Catwoman1.jpg

EarthaKitt1966Catwoman11.jpg

I loved Julie Newmar as Catwoman, she was the best from the other Catwomen.

Is it true Clint Eastwood considered to play Two-Face? I heard Eastwood casting was dropped due to Two-Face been too gruesome.

TCM is running this show where I live and I must say I never had enjoyed it so much. For a long time I resented this series since there wasn't any "serious"-toned adaptation of Batman.

I've seen parts of it here and there lately and it's great.

HUB channel also plays the show every night at 11:30. I catch it from time to time.

I've got Adam West autobiography. If anyone would like to read his comments about working with any of his fellow actors, I'll be happy to scan them.

He's very complimentary of most of the actors, particularly the ones who played Alfred, Aunt Harriet, and the four main villains on the show.

I'd be interested....in particular, his comments about the Big 4 villains, burt, and batgirl

No problem, Batsy. I'll get them all up over the next day or so. But for starters, here's what he had to say about Cesar Romero and Burgess Meredith:

AdamBurgess1.jpg

AdmanBurgess2.jpg

AdamBurgess3.jpg

Fantastic, Joker! I wish I knew where to find this book. :up:

great job, joker. thanks a lot, man....

I remember back in 89 what an enormous hatred and beating West and the TV show took. Just like back in 08 it was "cool" to bash every non-Nolan Batman thing, it was similar back then with the TV show. Im proud to say I was never into belittling other takes just to make my favorite seem bigger. I always respected the show even tho it wasnt my thing realy, it wasnt MY Batman since I grew up with Grant/Breyfogle Bat. Fortunately, nowadays people look back with respect. At least a vast majority

Sorry for the delay in posting more excerpts from West's book. Here's what he says about working with Burt Ward:

burt1.jpg

burt2.jpg

burt3.jpg

burt4.jpg

Here's some controversy from the Batcave. Adam talks about working with the second Mr Freeze, Otto Preminger, who was a nightmare to work with. He also mentions Joan Collins getting poor treatment by the director of her episode, in the third season:

otto1.jpg

otto2.jpg

I really enjoyed reading his auto-biography and I guess his frankness didn't really surprise me.

It does seem like him and Burt had a love/hate relationship... I often find it hard to judge what they are like nowadays.

Just noticed that ITV4 in the Uk have started showing double eps of Batman every day.
They show the eps at 3pm, and repeat them at 8.20 am the next day.
So tomorrow morning's early morning repeat is the Penguin ep, 'Fine Feathered Finks' at 8.20am, followed by 'The Joker is Wild' at 3pm(a pretty good one, based on an old Dick Sprang book of the 50s called the Joker's utility belt).
the rest of the eps this week are:
Thursday: Mr Freeze 'Instant Freeze'
Friday: Zelda, the escape artist(another good one)

Just noticed that ITV4 in the Uk have started showing double eps of Batman every day.
They show the eps at 3pm, and repeat them at 8.20 am the next day.
So tomorrow morning's early morning repeat is the Penguin ep, 'Fine Feathered Finks' at 8.20am, followed by 'The Joker is Wild' at 3pm(a pretty good one, based on an old Dick Sprang book of the 50s called the Joker's utility belt).
the rest of the eps this week are:
Thursday: Mr Freeze 'Instant Freeze'
Friday: Zelda, the escape artist(another good one)

Thanks for the heads up. :woot:

Anyone have a favorite hench wench from the series? Mine would have to be Chickadee:

chickadee.png

She was the only moll to pull a gun on sweet old Aunt Harriet.

Joker, I enjoyed those things about Otto Preminger. :joker:

Joker Penguin Lee M's Catwoman Franks Riddler And King Tut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"