The Batman General News & Discussion Thread - Part 2

At least that's how I see it.

You see...a lot of things.
:p

The issues in the first film weren't solvable (to change the look/architecture of an entire city) in a few months, which is the time between the first and second film.

The issues in the first film weren't solvable (to change the look/architecture of an entire city) in a few months, which is the time between the first and second film.

That's definitely unrealistic I agree lol

FKNHl_fXsAINglL

that should have been the final poster, floating heads done right.

The other films just never revisited the Narrows, which was always singled out as a very specific run down part of the city. Chicago was still established as the main part of the city in BB. And there are shots of the monorail tracks in some establishing shots of TDK. The main difference in TDK other than being shot entirely on location was there were a lot more daytime scenes, which just gave the movie a different vibe.

And as much as I love the Narrows, the final act of Begins feels a lot more claustrophobic than a lot of the action sequences we got in the sequels, at least when we're on the ground and not on the train (that stuff looks awesome).

I think there's a great opportunity now to use the Unreal Engine and blend set design with believable scale in the frame, which it's great Reeves seems to be utilizing. But I'm definitely glad that Nolan didn't shoot his entire movies against a green screen like so many superhero films do. You can really start to feel that when it's overdone.

It did always bum me out that the promise of the Narrows was never paid off in the sequels.

It did always bum me out that the promise of the Narrows was never paid off in the sequels.

Gordon does say "The Narrows is lost" at the end of Begins, so I kind of took it to be that it became a No Man's Land and survivors of the attack were relocated or something.

It definitely could've been ground zero for a "rise of the freaks" storyline in that universe (I think Gotham Knight had an episode that touched on a territorial mob war there), alas, not the direction the main story went. I do think they kept those sets up for years after Begins if I'm not mistaken, so yeah I was always kind of hoping they'd revisit it. At the same time, I love the scale of the sequels and I think a lot of that was achieved simply by committing to shooting on location as much as possible.

Last edited:
May I ask what that promise was ?
The way Begins ends with Arkham being breached and untold amounts of the criminally insane being released and Gordon saying "the Narrows is lost" kinda left me leaving the movie with this impression that we'd revisit this insane Crime Island filled with potential rogues. I'm not saying the movies we got are poorer for not addressing it, I just thought it was a cool setting and a cool thread that never got picked up.

Gordon does say "The Narrows is lost" at the end of Begins, so I kind of took it to be that it became a No Man's Land and survivors of the attack were relocated or something.

It definitely could've been ground zero for a "rise of the freaks" storyline in that universe (I think Gotham Knight had an episode that touched on a territorial mob war there), alas, not the direction the main story went. I do think they kept those sets up for years after Begins if I'm not mistaken, so yeah I was always kind of hoping they'd revisit it. At the same time, I love the scale of the sequels and I think a lot of that was achieved simply by committing to shooting on location as much as possible.
Never thought about that this way, and even if we got in the sequels was amazing, could be a very interesting route. I think Gordon saying that wasn't really to set up anything, as it Nolan said they weren't planning it when Begins was done.

There's always multiple exclusive versions, steelbooks, etc. I'm sure there will be some options.

I have to admit, as someone who had both the Batman Returns and Batman Forever posters on my wall as a kid, there is something that tickles me about seeing a floating heads poster with The Bat, The Cat the Penguin and The Riddler, even it's a bit cheesy. I've definitely seen worse modern posters.

I like this poster the most to be honest.

I've always preferred floating head posters

[Runs for the hills]

Just bought The Long Halloween and Dark Victory deluxe editions at my local Barnes and Noble today. I’m excited to finally read Dark Victory but I’ve read The Long Halloween when I was a teenager.

There's always multiple exclusive versions, steelbooks, etc. I'm sure there will be some options.

I have to admit, as someone who had both the Batman Returns and Batman Forever posters on my wall as a kid, there is something that tickles me about seeing a floating heads poster with The Bat, The Cat the Penguin and The Riddler, even it's a bit cheesy. I've definitely seen worse modern posters.
I feel like they went out of style in the 2000s and now they've made a comeback haha.

I honestly don't believe there's been a single bad Batman movie poster either. Like even Batman & Robins wasn't bad haha.

Pretty sure Affleck was still attached when Reeves took over. I recall him saying “I would play an ape for Matt Reeves.” when asked if he would be staying.
No. The way I read it, He knew he was not going to be Batman any longer at that point, but he still had to promote the Justice League movie for WB. “Hey our Batman actor just quit, but come check our new movie out anyway “ is not a real good marketing strategy.

If the trailers and posters weren't clear enough, every interview's quote that comes out underlines what a huge amount of research has been done for this film.

Not just during the (almost three years long!) writing phase - with dozens of references to cult and classics especially from the 70s, 80s and 90s - but also by the actors: Pattinson that imitates the shoulder posture and movements of Nosferatu in the funeral clip and now, in the last interview, speaks about his inspiration from Alien for his body language in the suit...

Damn, in a period when cinecomics go from pre-production to distribution in less than two years and seem to have SNL sketches as their only sources of inspiration for writing, direction and editing times (any reference to NWH is NOT accidental), all of this is SO refreshing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"