The Batman General News & Discussion Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by flickchick85, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
  2. chintai80 oh hi.

make this an official movie poster.
    make this the blu ray cover.
    make this the cover of the del ray books adaption.

3. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

Is this official?

4. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

But that won't stop me from getting it framed and or a tshirt.

5. chintai80 oh hi.

i get a feeling the scene where batman rescues people while holding a flare is going to become iconic.

it being depicted in the posters gives a mythic quality to it.

batman showing others the light and leading them through the darkness.

6. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Haha. That cowl and jaw/chin go together so well.

7. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Will be great to get an iconic shot of something like that rather than just badass Bats.

8. Detective Conan Registered

9. fake Registered

The Dark Knight got the same rating for this reason

KaijuDude1992, Jermobooka and Mo Al like this.
  10. Erik Lensherr Registered

11. signalman Registered

Glad to read all the positive vibes for this film on this forum.
    When I read the posts on DVDTALK and HOME THEATER FORUM about The Batman it's mostly doom and gloom.
    It's too Dark!
    It's too long!
    Trailers do nothing for me.
    Do really need another Batman movie?

So, I am very Please to read some enthusiasm for this movie. :word:

12. Detective Conan Registered

this one seems stronger in terms of objectionable content. If you compare the Batman rating to the TDK rating. It seems this one will be even more barley PG-13. Which I quite like.

#7812 Detective Conan, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  13. Rick190293 Registered

As much as the majority of fans are excited, I know a lot of people that shares this same feeling too. I get it, we had a near flawless trilogy, another iteration a few years later, and of course, there’s the “marvelization” of the genre. But it’s a shame, I wish people could see the amount of epicness and passion for the character Reevs is injecting into.

14. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

Yup. I do think that Reeves is the kind of director who would only do something that he knows hasn't been done before or is unique. And for that reason alone, I hope the people who are skeptical at least give it a chance.

15. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I think Reeves will convert a fair few of those people. Not many directors are this passionate for the source material of the film they’re making as well as being very competent at the technical side of their job.

16. Jermobooka Resident Spider-Man and Batman Fanatic

I wonder why The Batman specifically has so much skepticism around it. There hasn’t been a solo Batman film in 9 years, whilst say, Spider-Man, has had ~5 in that time.

It’s not even like Batman has a gargantuan amount of solo films, either. Batman has 7 while Spider-Man has 9. Batman films are more spaced out, too.

I’m genuinely curious why the “Another Batman movie??????? Really????????????” mindset is a thing when it’s not for Spider-Man.

17. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

I think all the crossover films and Batman-universe DC films in between make it feel like it's been a constant flood of Batman films.

Also, to Spider-Man's credit until No Way Home went nostalgia bonkers, each new film through ASM1 through Far From Home focused on new villains that had never been seen before on film. And there WERE plenty of complaints about Spidey being rebooted twice in a row. The box office for the ASMs and even Homecoming was still below the franchise peak.

#7817 BatLobster, Jan 29, 2022
  18. scorpius Registered

Maybe because we had 7 different versions of the character since Adam West and only 3 for Spider-Man? Not counting the tv Spidey who unlike West didn't have any lasting impression or impact on the viewers.

Of course, we had 7 different versions of Batman in 60 years and 3 different versions of Spidey in only 20 years, but I guess that's the way the general audience perceives the whole thing?

19. Detective Conan Registered

Even though most of them aren’t theatrical releases, there’s also been several animated Batman movies in the nine years since the Nolan trilogy wrapped up. In fact, Lego Batman is actually the first theatrically released solo Batman film since Rises. And it also doesn’t help this movie is once again doing the “dark and realistic” Batman, which is obviously inviting comparisons to the Nolan trilogy. So to many of them it looks like more of the same.

20. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Yeah, I really don't blame people for feeling that way. I think we're in a bit of a bubble with internet fandom. Not a single one of my real life friends who were super invested during the trilogy years is actively hyped for this. They all agree it looks good, Pattinson looks good, but nobody is losing their mind or anything. It feels kind of like a game of chicken to see who's going to step up to suggest we make plans to see it (mind you, most of my friends have kids now so coordinating something as simple as a trip to the movies gets tricky :funny:).

Ultimately the movie's quality will have to cut through that. Even Reeves seems to express of a sense of knowing there's a need to 'justify' another one in the recent interviews.

#7820 BatLobster, Jan 29, 2022
    blackmidi likes this.
  21. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

I've said for a while now that it's sort of an uphill battle for Reeves based on those things, but if there's anybody that could surprise people and prove why it's different, it's him.

Jermobooka likes this.
  22. OnLeatherWings Registered

Also people don't want to give up the sparkling Batman jokes they love so much.

Letting a joke die is something pop culture has a hard time doing.

23. BMW 224 Symbol of Vengeance becomes Symbol of Hope

Alot of the people I know think "it looks good but it seems like it's just The Dark Knight Triolgy but darker this time".

I don't share this view but The Batman has alot to prove for many people.

It's definitely gonna be a uphill battle.

But in the end I think the actual film itself will win people over.

KaijuDude1992 and Jermobooka like this.
  24. dhandler01 I'm a dick vampire aren't I?!

Most people dont lose their mind for films. Most of my friends barely even mention films until they are released unless it is something really special. As you say we are in a sort of bubble where to us it is a real big deal but for the vast majority of moviegoers they just see a trailer and go "cool, I will maybe see that" and then just leave it at that.

I think people are overthinking this...if the movie looks good the naysayers will go. If the reviews are good even more likely. Not everyone cares to go right away and will wait. The "this looks like something that came before it" argument gets made all the time about things, and it never stops films from doing well if they are good. Hell these days with nostalgia at peak levels that will likely help more than hurt in the long run.

25. Detective Conan Registered

As you point out Spider-Man was in similar place years ago, but unlike Batman there was the option to put him in a wildly popular established shared universe to boost interest. Batman doesn’t have that luxury anymore, as as the DCEU/Snyder-Verse stuff petered out, and I argue the lingering damage those movies did to the Bat-brand will definitely hinder this somewhat. Whenever they get to rebooting Superman, even though he obviously isn’t quite as oversaturated as Bats will also face a similar uphill battle to get audiences interested. Supes might be in a worse position as he’s yet to have a decent modern movie that’s as universally beloved as the TDKR franchise is. All the movies Superman has been in since the 2000’s has been polarizing and underperforming movies. Fingers crossed both characters overcome the stink of the last theatrical movies they were in.