The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by flickchick85, Oct 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
  2. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

3. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

I want Saw influence for Riddler. The first two Saw movies are fantastic and underrated. Jigsaw would be a better influence on Riddler than John Doe IMO.

4. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

If they started production on the sequel before the first is released, I’d be really happy! We pretty much know the film will be successful

5. Sawyer High King

I’ll never get over Pattinson’s stunt double looking more like Affleck than Pattinson.

OutOfBoose and Kane52630 like this.
  6. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

This will never not be hilarious

7. Invader Joker Registered

If things aren't well by March they won't be well by May or even later on, they should just keep doing dual release date at that point, it's pointless to keep gambling on release dates.

FunkMiller and C Prometheus like this.
  8. Invader Joker Registered

I think that if WB has been as stubborn as it's been on keeping the dual-release even for something like Dune and Matrix is probably because they have some internal data that say that it has indeed been profitable for them even with the box office catastrophes. Dune is 100% going to flop on theaters because of that model-they know that, and they'll still do it, there's a reason for it.

In fact I think it's fair to say WB doesn't really care about box office when they do dual release dates, their priority is to make HBO MAX become more popular, and it has been working.

9. C Prometheus Registered

[​IMG]

If I’m being honest, I think we’re very likely in the midst of a drastic paradigm shift in how films are going to be budgeted and distributed moving forward.

10. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

Been saying that… the theater industry is going to change drastically. Home theaters are a more appealing option to most of the people that I know. Especially when it comes to non blockbuster films. The studios are going to own the theaters again. It’s all trending towards streaming.

11. marsh Registered

Guys cmon. We haven’t even had as much of a bill Ramey smug tweet hinting at a delay and some of you people are discussing it as if it’s some likely sure fire thing.

And worse yet it’s cued another exhausting box office/future of theaters discussion. Sigh.

AndyTrevino and shauner111 like this.
  12. shauner111 Registered

It’s sooo boring. We got a bunch of new info from a screening (some tidbits from the same guy that’s been ignored here for some reason). Aaaaaaand nah lol we’d rather go over the same cinema/Covid talk from months ago.

AndyTrevino likes this.
  13. Langstrom Karlo Registered

I don’t understand (nor do I care to even try) how people prefer the home theater experience over an actual theater. Going to the movies is such a fun form of escapism, the lights, the atmosphere, the popcorn, the massive screen and stadium seating etc. It really never gets old, people need to realize that Covid isn’t going anywhere, it’s sad but true and we have to learn to live with it out there and defeat it over time, but hiding out at home 24/7 and wearing ineffective masks isn’t going to change the status of Covid’s relevancy. We have to get back to life!

14. FunkMiller Failed Experiment

To be honest, I’m lucky enough to have an enormous TV and 7.1 sound system. I’m more than fine if more films come direct to streaming, including The Batman. The cinema used to be worthwhile, but the high prices, poor customer service, poor quality of movies and general attitude of many cinema goers has put me right off it over the years. Much rather sit on my comfortable couch, turn the volume up and be able to pee when I want :D

Agreed. I very much doubt things will ever be back to the way they were.

#25164 FunkMiller, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  15. DeadlyWest A Flare in the Dark (he/him/his)

I'm not too concerned over getting Reeves back. Fairly sure all the main cast have signed a three movie deal. And WB haven't given any reasons to alienate Reeves as far as we're aware

16. C Prometheus Registered

The detail that I think people repeatedly overlook here is that "getting back to life" has kinda already happened. Unless something changes drastically soon, I'd argue that we will likely be stuck living a new normal for quite a long time.

Will this kill off theaters? No, of course not, but it's certainly accelerating problems that had been building up prior to COVID (streaming rising in popularity, expensive prices, poor audience experiences, etc). In addition, if COVID continues to be an ongoing factor globally, theaters will have to more permanently adjust how they present films to audiences; i.e. re-structure audience seatings to give groups more space apart from each other beyond just taping off entire rows or potentially look into pushing for more drive-in theaters.

That in turn falls back over to the film studios themselves. If COVID remains a fixed factor in the equation in the long term and the theater scene is radically changed to result in fewer audiences/screenings per day, then studios will need to go back to lower budgets for their movies in order to get back to making a profit at the box office.

IMO if it's true that Matt Reeves made The Batman with a budget of a mere $100mil, I think that will end up working fantastically in the film's favor under these circumstances compared to other far higher budgeted blockbusters in the works right now.

17. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

I think "poor audience experiences" is something that is overblown in most cases. I've been on the cinema so many times in my life and nobody has done a thing to ruin the experience for me. But that's just me so who knows

BruceMorgan0539 likes this.
  18. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

Going to the theaters was never a huge priority to most people even pre-COVID. The shrinking audience attendance (aside from a handful of movies) each year should tell you that. Also, I think people ARE going back to their normal lives, which is why the cases are spiking again. People are acting like the pandemic is over. I see people outside, going on vacation, traveling, doing normal things as before. If a huge blockbuster movie comes out, they will go to that but don’t expect it will be at the same level as before.

19. C Prometheus Registered

Honestly I've rarely ever had poor audience experiences myself either, though I did have a particularly obnoxious group of teens behind me that got rather distracting during Endgame's Portal scene. But I have noticed more and more people online and real life friends mention that they've dealt with those sorts of issues, so I'm not going to neglect that it's a relatively common complaint.

Personally I love theaters. Every chance I've had to go to see a new movie at a movie theater these past two years, I've taken it because I do adore the ability to just completely isolate myself in a dark room with a giant projection of a film for a couple hours of the day away from the rest of the world. But the situation we're facing here seems rather inevitable to me; the movie theater experience as we've known it for decades is going through a substantial and most likely long term change.

This.

The Lazarus Pit likes this.
  20. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

I used to work at a movie theater when I was in high school and there would be fights that would break out on Friday or Saturday nights. We would have to call the cops on them. On a separate occasion, I was a customer at a different theater from where I worked (this was when LOTR ROTK came out) and a guy basically threatened my life because I was saving a seat for my brother who was running late. Other than those incidents, there have been some occasional heckling done by teenagers, babies/toddlers crying, cellphone lights and sounds going off. Those little things can really ruin a theater experience. When you have enough of those incidents coupled with rising ticket and concession prices, my theater going days took a big hit. Honestly I don’t even feel that urge to go to the theaters like I used to when I was younger. Before COVID, I was only going 4 or 5 times in a year. I only saw 4 movies in theaters in 2019.

21. Erik Lensherr Registered

22. Boom I got nothin'

Seriously
    LORT.

23. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

He is Affleck's stunt double for The Flash now too:
    [​IMG]

24. Bruce Wayne glad you're dead

He was also Arnie's stunt double during the canal chase in Judgment Day.

Nah that never happened.

25. dhandler01 I'm a dick vampire aren't I?!

This is 100% right which is why they aren't panicking because TSS made low BO. They got out of it what they wanted: good streaming numbers and a ton of positive press.

C Prometheus and emielaen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.