The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by flickchick85, Oct 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Am The Knight Voilá!

"How old is this guy??"

2. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

If your mask is ineffective, you are not wearing it properly. *cough*

Broseph44 and WayneMB like this.
  3. cryptic name No Limits

I'm pretty excited by the prospect of Bruce having a running VO narration throughout the story. It's something that's been speculated since Reeves first started talking about his vision, and something that immediately differentiates this version of Batman from other live action adaptations.

KaijuDude1992 and shauner111 like this.
  4. shauner111 Registered

Yes! Also
    Alfred tries to get Bruce to go to business meetings, but Bruce never shows up. Which I find hilarious. Confirms the city knows he’s in town.

cryptic name likes this.
  5. cryptic name No Limits

I hadn't read that one. That's awesome.

Bruce's public persona being less "Male Paris Hilton" and more aloof weirdo who doesn't give a **** about his family's legacy totally works for me.

Erik Lensherr likes this.
  6. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

If ‘The Batman’ comes to HBO Max, we’re one step closer to my greatest desire as a Batman fan: a live action ‘Batman’ series on HBO/Max. Reeves could retain creative/quality control, but other directors could step in from episode to episode. ‘The Mandalorian’ showed us more than any other show that a Batman series can be done well.

There are so many characters to tackle and stories to tell, I think the best way to properly do a Batman story is a television series. With the films, they keep having to start and stop, and a lot of the same ground is inevitably covered. With a show, you can have standalone episodes where Batman encounters the villain of the week mixed in with episodes that further the overarching storyline, just like in BTAS. Just imagine a live action BTAS series with new installments every year.

The wait between Batman movies is brutal… A straight up ‘Batman’ show (not Pennyworth, not Gotham, not even GCPD) would be such a wise move. Look at Mandalorian merch, it’s everywhere. Merch is where the money is really made anyways. If there were an easily accessible Batman show coming out every year and marketed correctly, it’d be a financial juggernaut. It’d be so exciting if they were to announce a new Batman series. Some of his villains’ pathologies are so insular that it makes more sense to tell their stories in a vacuum that could be provided by the tv format. A balance between plot heavy episodes and villain of the week episodes could accomplish what the movies never could.

Rick190293 likes this.
  7. Erik Lensherr Registered

What is VO? Telling the story like Memento?

8. CondimentKing Mitchell Mayo

Respectfully disagree tbh. I feel like the brand has already been so diluted, the fact that the movies will now probably be every 3-4 years (just because Reeves takes his time) is a breath of fresh air, to be honest. You really risk running it into the ground if you keep pumping out Batman, and honestly it's nice to have something that's all about the standalone cinematic experience considering everything else is worrying about being so interconnected. It would have been great if this was the only Batman we've gotten since TDKR, and it would be nice if WB didn't make any more Batman movies after this trilogy for at least 10+ years. Maybe I'm just weird though. It's already lame (to me) that there's 3 Batmen running around at the same time, plus all the other hundreds of shows. It's just too much of a money maker and it's depressing. Keep in mind there's also going to be Joker movies running concurrently to this, which is just so bizarre, especially when Todd Phillips inevitably introduces his own Batman.

I'm fine with a couple shows but I think it's really dangerous to the quality if you start turning into Disney Star Wars where 10 shows are shot at the same time, all meant to be interconnected, and I think this turning into a full on Batman show would only add to that

#25183 CondimentKing, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Rick190293 likes this.
  9. Art Vandelay Registered

Just read the full tweet about regarding that shocking scene we were speculating on, and this part in particular caught my attention.

"I don’t give a bleep about Batman or DC and even I clenched on to a knee and was shook. It’s the biggest mix drop"

This does not sound like a Joker reveal to me, or a hint at the next movie. This sounds like it's specifically in regards to what happens in the scene. I'm thinking this is more along the lines of Seven's head in the box ending.

Just typing this makes me excited for what's to come.

BarryLyndon and J.Drangal like this.
  10. CondimentKing Mitchell Mayo

I was thinking that but iirc the person later clarified that it did have to do with a setup.

shauner111 likes this.
  11. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

Batman being cinema only is odd considering the thing that really broke Batman through to the mainstream was the ‘66 series. He’s always had movies and shows, and it’s been decades since he’s had a solo tv show. I respectfully don’t agree with any of what you’re saying. More Batman is always good for me. I’m fine with 3 concurrent Batmen on film, Titans, Batwoman, etc; it’s all good for me as a consumer and fan. I’ve seen every animated movie show and read hundreds of the comics, it never gets old. Bring it on, the more Batman the better.

I am sorry but i don’t get how you can say things like, ‘give the character a rest for 10 or so years’ like we couldn’t all just die tomorrow. Or when other people say ‘save it for a sequel’ which may or may not even happen. Nothing is promised, just go for broke with these superhero movies. Over saturation of Batman is not a fear of mine. If Batman and Robin didn’t kill the character, nothing will. I want as much Batman as we can possibly get.

#25186 The Lazarus Pit, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    metaphysician and TheGDBatman like this.
  12. CondimentKing Mitchell Mayo

To me, in an era where every franchise regards its movies as "content" (gross) to boost their streaming services and connect to 10 other shows its a wonderful change of pace to have a Batman film feel like a genuine event. You don't get the crazy hype TDK had if there were 3 other Batmen in the 2000s. Obviously WB wants to make money but I just find this new era of interconnected streaming shows with endless cliffhanger setups super depressing, and I think the new multiverse angle DC and Marvel are using is super corporate and just enabling them to make as much money as possible.

dhandler01 and J.Drangal like this.
  13. FunkMiller Failed Experiment

This is something I think sometimes gets lost in all the understandable excitement about the film: it's so bloody cheap. At least by Hollywood's standards. Batman films always tend to be paradigm shifters in one way or another for some reason, and I can certainly see this one doing the same thing in regards to what can be accomplished on a relatively low budget, without all the overblown CGi nonsense. The Batman doesn't have to blow the doors off the box office, or on streaming the way its contemporaries do. I would love to see it do well enough to change the game in terms of how much money studios invest into these tentpole movies. Could only be a good thing for the industry.

C Prometheus likes this.
  14. Erik Lensherr Registered

But when this movie is basically a horror or thriller and just looks and feels like a regular movie (like Joker) instead of a traditional comic book, superhero movie, 100 millions actually is a high budget?

15. J.Drangal Registered

I didn't saw the original quotes so I don't have the specifics, but a shocking scene could still be considered as a set up for the next movie by its consequences/repercussions, isn't it ?
    Or was the guy even more precise ?

16. TheGDBatman Registered

The only time it becomes "too much" or "over saturated" is if the quality across the board is low imo. Otherwise, if they pump out high quality content then I don't think that danger exists.

17. shauner111 Registered

Quality over quantity. I’m pro Batman on film.

Confirmed to be a scene that sets up the future. It’s something Joker related like a huge actor and/or my theory: a rogues gallery setup. A non fan went mental so I can’t think of anything else. Unless it’s some crazy casting for Thomas Wayne.

18. CondimentKing Mitchell Mayo

Basically what @shauner111 just said, but the guy also ended by saying that he thinks they're going to cycle through all of the villains in the Pattinson movies. Which implies the big moment has to do with a villain (or two). Just imagine McConaughey Two-Face playing cards with Joker or somebody ala Cuckoo's Nest when Batman inevitably brings Riddler to Arkham at the end..

J.Drangal and shauner111 like this.
  19. C Prometheus Registered

I think $100mil is a fair compromise in terms of its budget, because from what we can see, it seems the film is still going to have its fair share of action set-piece sequences. Not to mention the fact that the budget had have been raised somewhat from wherever its original budget was during the initial lockdowns when Reeves opted to replace certain planned on-location sets he'd had in mind with new soundstage sets.

Yeah, I've been thinking for months now that we'll start to see a shift in terms of how much budgeting these films get from the studios in light of COVID.

20. Art Vandelay Registered

Would a non fan clutch their knees and be "shook" just because the Joker showed up? I'm not saying there isn't some set up for a future movie, but the shock seems like it's from something else entirely.

21. shauner111 Registered

A big name for Joker would do that or Joker in Arkham with some rogues. It’s definitely a villain setup thing.

22. Boom I got nothin'

Or Alfred getting axed.

23. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

Batman dong reveal

CondimentKing, shauner111 and Boom like this.
  24. Boom I got nothin'

[​IMG]

25. Jekecy Registered

I've seen a lot of people talk about this and I'm not sure why that's the go-to. Is there anything substantiated to make people believe it's a possibility?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.