The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this theory of mine in the inspirations thread, but it covers a bit more than that. I think Silence of The Lambs is one of the films main inspirations, and it possibly POSSIBLY hints at a Joker cameo. Potential spoilers with solving of the first Riddler clue on the mayor's body.

Hey @BigBatTheory !

If I'm being honest with you here, while it's clear you've done some really impressive research and potentially found something of note with Mattson Tomlin's previous fuax-Batman script, I suspect you might be pushing a tad too far into the realm of speculation here.

Considering just how much time Matt Reeves spent working on the script for The Batman before Mattson's involvement was ever even announced, I highly doubt Reeves brought him into the mix so that they could lift and incorporate in a ton of the ideas from Mattson's previous script. It may well have been part of what got him the job of being Matt's co-writer, but between Reeves' repeated references to Chinatown in particular being a huge influence for his plans for The Batman and Mattson suddenly not being the co-writer credited in official credits from Warner Bros, I'm afraid I have to remain more skeptical than I'd like here.

You've done great work here though, even if I don't 100% buy all of this.

Hey @BigBatTheory !

If I'm being honest with you here, while it's clear you've done some really impressive research and potentially found something of note with Mattson Tomlin's previous fuax-Batman script, I suspect you might be pushing a tad too far into the realm of speculation here.

Considering just how much time Matt Reeves spent working on the script for The Batman before Mattson's involvement was ever even announced, I highly doubt Reeves brought him into the mix so that they could lift and incorporate in a ton of the ideas from Mattson's previous script. It may well have been part of what got him the job of being Matt's co-writer, but between Reeves' repeated references to Chinatown in particular being a huge influence for his plans for The Batman and Mattson suddenly not being the co-writer credited in official credits from Warner Bros, I'm afraid I have to remain more skeptical than I'd like here.

You've done great work here though, even if I don't 100% buy all of this.
Oh no it's absolutely speculation.

I just think it's worth considering. Mattson wrote a pseudo-batman script with obvious SoTL influences, with themes that are absolutely a match for what Reeves' is doing with The Batman. And then Reeves makes a direct homage -essentially ripping an entire scene- from SoTL in The Batman. That and the fact that there is apparently going to be scenes at Arkham Asylum, and the rumors about Joker being seen only in an AA scene makes me think they will give us a Hannibal style Joker. It's all like, circumstantial evidence, but there sure is a LOT of it.

@BigBatTheory If that’s the case, the actor would have to sign a contract for 3 movies.

Bill Ramey knows about big surprises coming from Reeves (no specifics but he says the entire cast hasn’t been announced yet and won’t be). I don’t think he’s referring to B or C level villain reveals. Must be Joker, Robin, Court of Owls, Two-Face...that kind of level.

If there is an actor present for a scene like you’re describing, that means they’d likely shoot the scene between October and December. So we should be on the lookout for possible changes in appearance from the list of actors we tend to pass around here. Or simply keep up with who’s spotted in London suddenly. I haven’t done my detective work yet outside of seeing Caleb Landry Jones look like a hippie recently with his red hair longer than Arthur Fleck lol, and of course Jake growing it out and looking much thinner since the spring. Hoult can just show up as is, sit in the makeup chair and off he goes. A little harder to pin down.

Oh no it's absolutely speculation.

I just think it's worth considering. Mattson wrote a pseudo-batman script with obvious SoTL influences, with themes that are absolutely a match for what Reeves' is doing with The Batman. And then Reeves makes a direct homage -essentially ripping an entire scene- from SoTL in The Batman. That and the fact that there is apparently going to be scenes at Arkham Asylum, and the rumors about Joker being seen only in an AA scene makes me think they will give us a Hannibal style Joker. It's all like, circumstantial evidence, but there sure is a LOT of it.
Is your friend on Reddit? I think he may have been who I spoke to that led me to the same conclusions a few weeks back.

Reading the script however, other than the surface details it’s not much of a “Batman” story. It’s very much from the POV of the citizens and how they’re affected by these extravagant characters.

The Red Rabbit sequence is small, but it does give an interesting glimpse at what a new Joker can be. I’ve been going back and forth in whether it is what Mattson hinted at. It’s such a small sequence it is hard to believe Reeves goes and hires him off that alone. I do believe there’s a long game at play here. Just not sure if we have all the pieces yet.

Last edited:
DM7LijrUQAAZpXx.jpg

Interesting stuff. If there is a Joker cameo and they’re able to hide the casting (I imagine Reeves would want to hide it while WB would want him on the poster, actor top-billed) it would be MASSIVE once the film dropped.

I’m not expecting a Joker cameo, but even a 90s scene of Batman “getting info” from a locked up Joker ala Clarice/Lecter would fully engage people into a new take on the character as far as live action goes.

it's a more well researched and thought out theory then most of fan speculation...

but personally I don't care for the idea of the Joker not only already being a known villain but already locked up ? to think Batman's first interaction with him happens off screen would be a bit disappointing. unless were seeing a pre-Joker version of the character... it's been suggested that this is only like a year 2 Batman still very early in his career... so kinda hoping that theory doesn't play out as is, but you could be on to some type of set up/ reference to the characters potential future involvement

Interesting stuff. If there is a Joker cameo and they’re able to hide the casting (I imagine Reeves would want to hide it while WB would want him on the poster, actor top-billed) it would be MASSIVE once the film dropped...
I’m not expecting a Joker cameo, but even a 90s scene of Batman “getting info” from a locked up Joker ala Clarice/Lecter would fully engage people into a new take on the character as far as live action goes.
I'd imagine even if we saw a scene like this play out, they'd probably use a place hold (stand in) appose to having the role already cast... maybe only showing a joker-ish figure from behind or from the shadows (simply seeing a green haired individual reaching out a pale white hand, laughing would be more then enough to get the point across) without rushing to cast someone... this would give them more time/freedom to cast later on

Last edited:
We’ve seen Nicholson meet BatKeats for the first time as a gangster. Batman is there when he falls into good ol Joker juice.

Ledger met BatBale fully formed.

Leto and Batfleck already had a history off screen. We never really see them share a frame but Batfleck is on top of Joker’s car in one scene, then rescues Harley moments later.

Phoenix as pre-Joker Arthur Fleck meets young Bruce Wayne at Wayne Manor, believing he’s his brother.

Do we HAVE to see Reeves’ Joker meeting Battinson for the first time? Not complaining if we do, but they can make their first run-in together an offscreen encounter. Maybe Joker was in his earliest stages at the time. Now when you see him in Arkham, it’s a year after the encounter, he’s fully formed but he’s one escape away from completing his look.

I'm not opposed to another origin of sorts. It doesn't have to be a retread of what we got in '89, although I'd be down for a scene a la Zero Year at the end of the film to set future films.
9bb2072133cdf0d50abcc8c8c588f1e5.jpg

Something like the Telltale series were we see John Doe interact with Batman before he's become The Joker in a traditional sense would be interesting too, although I doubt Reeves would go that far. Since these films are covering an early, young Batman I doubt there's gonna be a big time jump, so I think we'll probably seen their first or one of their first encounters. I don't think anything major between the two will occur off screen.

We’ve seen Nicholson meet BatKeats for the first time as a gangster. Batman is there when he falls into good ol Joker juice.

Ledger met BatBale fully formed.

Leto and Batfleck already had a history off screen. We never really see them share a frame but Batfleck is on top of Joker’s car in one scene, then rescues Harley moments later.

Phoenix as pre-Joker Arthur Fleck meets young Bruce Wayne at Wayne Manor, believing he’s his brother.

Do we HAVE to see Reeves’ Joker meeting Battinson for the first time? Not complaining if we do, but they can make their first run-in together an offscreen encounter. Maybe Joker was in his earliest stages at the time. Now when you see him in Arkham, it’s a year after the encounter, he’s fully formed but he’s one escape away from completing his look.
I mean, yeah. We do. It wouldn't really make sense for Rob to have encountered Joker off-screen considering his Rogues gallery is created in this movie. It would be much more impactful to have Batman's first encounter with the Joker be something we experience with him. It turns his world upside down

As opposed to being told about it

I think the biggest hurdle is trying to do something different than Nolan more so than anything/anybody else, story beat wise at least. Stuff like the multiple origin tales, being fully formed when he meets Batman, trying to take on the system/city rather than Batman himself is all stuff so greatly associated with Ledger's take that I'm sure Reeves will want to find a new way.

I could easily see this Joker being obsessed with Batman on a personal level, direct references to Batman being involved in Joker's origin, and even seeing The Joker evolve over the film are all beats I could Reeves try to tackle.

Again, the Telltale way would be unique because it certainly makes The Joker a sympathetic character, his relationship to Batman is as personal a story as I can think of in recent memory, and he gets a lot of growth during that story, but I think that's probably too big of a deviation/obscure reference for it to appear on Reeves radar.

I could maybe see a traditional red hood origin hinted at or shown in part, because with that it's at least different than Ledger and Leto's take, presumably he'd be bullied/forced into this life rather than what happened in the case of '89 where he is the bully, and he could even make it similar to zero year with the revolving title and leave some ambiguity to it (just not as much as Ledger's).

I think the appearance of the red hood gang in generally would make for a cool sequel subplot that could set the joker up nicely for a third film (even though I want to see the Joker and Batman's relationship evolve over multiple films).

The-Red-Hood-Gang-Batman-Zero-Year.jpg

I could maybe see a traditional red hood origin hinted at or shown in part, because with that it's at least different than Ledger and Leto's take, presumably he'd be bullied/forced into this life rather than what happened in the case of '89 where he is the bully, and he could even make it similar to zero year with the revolving title and leave some ambiguity to it (just not as much as Ledger's).

I think the appearance of the red hood gang in generally would make for a cool sequel subplot that could set the joker up nicely for a third film (even though I want to see the Joker and Batman's relationship evolve over multiple films).

The-Red-Hood-Gang-Batman-Zero-Year.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing The Red Hood. I wouldn't mind seeing Joker as an upstart enforcer trying to snake his way up the ladder.

The gang with makeup on their face from the trailer. If that’s not Joker’s gang (which I’m pretty sure it is NOT. Unless they’re fans of his while he’s locked up & that’s literally the opening scene of the film) then you can’t just bring the Joker into this trilogy as just another dude who also happens to wear makeup on his face. He’s gonna have to be much more colourful and bleached skin from head to toe in order to separate him from that pack of losers.

So the Red Hood origin would be a great way to do this. And so would the Hannibal Lecter concept. I say we do both for the same guy.

I think if The Batman does have a Joker cameo in Arkham, it means the Gotham PD prequel show will feature him as well. The show would give us their first meeting, and potentially a red hood style origin.

The show won’t feature Batman. It’s about the GCPD from the perspective of one male lead/cop. Batman is an urban legend. Whispers of his possible existence is the only thing i’m expecting in that show.

I'm not going to rule anything out for Rob cameoing a couple of times as Batman in the Gotham PD show, seeing as how it'll be for HBO Max and Matt himself will be heavily involved in making it. I highly doubt he'd have a large role though.

If Batman repeatedly shows up though, I'm with @SwordOfMorning in that most of those appearances will most likely be a stuntman in the Batsuit hidden in shadow.

I agree, I don't think Batman will feature heavily at all. But it is a Year One show. Batman will play into the story, even if he isn't on screen more than a few times. We know this Batman has some uneasy relationship with the police, and I think the show would establish how that comes to be. If he helped land Joker in AA, that could explain their weird relationship in The Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"