The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by flickchick85, Oct 17, 2019.

1. emielaen Registered

Wait, did he really say it'd be cancelled? Lol he wasn't joking?

Edit: Actually saw it on twitter. He was not joking lol

#19451 emielaen, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  2. TheSmoothKnight Registered

He said that he was just giving his opinion on the situation at the time. lol

#19452 TheSmoothKnight, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

That seems like a pretty big leap. People can be weird.

4. TheSmoothKnight Registered

Just read the new article from Variety and Hollywood Reporter. This drama in the WB/DC is not going away anytime soon. Seeing a lot of people wanted boycott WB and Hamada. Glad Reeves's Batman universe is not really part of the DCEU.

giphy (11).gif

5. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Except I hate the whole "multiverse" idea. It's just a cynical way of making a universe and interconnectedness out of something. Why can't something just be plain standalone and separate? That's how I'm going into this. Granted, this is WB, so that could be dropped when the movie comes out.

6. shauner111 Registered

It’s funny because I’m dying to see Keaton again but I’m almost positive that will be just a lazy cashgrab with not much nuance.

I was much more optimistic about the multi-verse when DC Fandome was happening. Now we’re in 2021 and the WB controversy is giving me a headache. I want the DCEU of the last several years to be put to bed, and I also don’t want to see crossovers for a newer generation. Just give me stand-alone movies like Joker and have Wonder Woman 3, Aquaman 2 and Black Adam as random solo movies. Build a Pattinson Batman trilogy. That’s all. I don’t need to see multiple Batmen inside a Flash story or more Justice League movies or heroes making cameos in Shazam.

Yesterday that executive made a comment about how there’s a plan to make a connected universe. Huh? What does that mean? How do you do that unless you scrap most of the projects or have Ezra Miller walk into Reeves’ Gotham and then Arthur Fleck bumps into Robert Pattinson’s Batman? Lol like what?

7. SwordOfMorning Returning some video tapes.

He's a hardcore Restore the Snyderverse goon. So he seems to be weirdly rooting against a movie he was employed in.

8. CondimentKing Mitchell Mayo

I do not understand these people. Is there nothing else in your life that you feel you have to cry on the internet years later because Ben Affleck is no longer Batman (and make up lies on the internet to appease man-children)? Move on

I know it's just a vocal minority but it's still a sizable amount of people who cannot accept that Snyder isn't a genius or that anything replacing him will likely be competent and made by people who know what they're doing

Go outside (well maybe not right now, but you get my drift lol)

metaphysician and shauner111 like this.
  9. Gothamsknight Registered

I'm in the same boat as others who just want the main focus to be the Reeves trilogy. This whole idea of running 2 Batman franchises at the same time just doesn't sit right. I'm still excited to see Keaton again, but this whole "the audience will understand there is more than one version" isn't exactly something I agree with or think is a great thing. Being invested in the character in the comics is one thing. There's multiple stories you can tell, with different writers and artists. With film, it's very different. I want Pattinson to be considered THE batman for the 2020s. Can you imagine if there was another Batman at the height of TDK trilogy?

As for the Batfleck stuff, that stuff is just getting more annoying by the day and it's part of my complaints too. Affleck clearly has a ton of projects he's gonna be busy with over the next few years. it's time to accept his version of Batman is over.

10. CondimentKing Mitchell Mayo

Hopefully there are no solo Keaton movies, and they keep him relegated to cameos. Bias aside, I do think Flash will likely be mediocre or possibly even a disaster. The Batman has a much better chance at being a success with audiences, especially after Joker, so hopefully that will make it clear to WB that they should stick to solo movies and minimize the Keaton involvement.

11. Gothamsknight Registered

I could see The Batman definitely getting critical acclaim. Which is gonna make it even more jarring if The Flash isn't good haha. In my mind, there's not much urgency to see Batman interact with other heroes. There's so much they can still do with the character, and I'd rather have them focus on one vision than anything else.

12. SwordOfMorning Returning some video tapes.

The Flash is a very messy sounding movie which is clearly first and foremost a vehicle for 'fixing' a shoddy franchise from a director whose last movie was a trainwreck starring an increasingly disliked actor. I'm excited for it on a very basic fanboy level but it mostly sounds like a brand building exercise.

13. Gothamsknight Registered

Ezra Miller as Flash still doesn't sit right with me, even when you take out what he did. I don't hate him in the role, but there's something very obnoxious about him.

14. Bruce Wayne has danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

Beyond Keaton, I don't care about The Flash at all. Ezra 'the strangler strikes again' Miller is just so utterly lacking in charm.

15. SwordOfMorning Returning some video tapes.

He isn't a bad actor generally speaking but Flash is a role that plays to everything that is bad about him as a performer.

16. Gothamsknight Registered

I agree. He was miscast, imo.

KaijuDude1992 and flickchick85 like this.
  17. shauner111 Registered

I’m waiting to see him in JL because even some of the jokes that ZS shot will be taken out.

Bale is my favourite Bruce Wayne and Keaton is my favourite Batman. So of course I’m going to geek out if I see either of them in those roles in a movie. Even if it’s a bad movie. But just like today’s news that Chris Evans is back as Captain America in a Keaton style...this whole shared universe thing (no matter which company) is making me sick of superhero movies again. Just when I started getting back into this “genre”....I’m BACK into that burnt-out mindset.

You know who did this stuff properly? Tim Burton. Sam Raimi. Christopher Nolan. Hopefully this crap crashes and burns and Matt Reeves shows studios the direction it once again needs to go into.

KaijuDude1992 and CondimentKing like this.
  18. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

The Keaton casting is definitely supposed to make people forget Ezra Miller is still leading the movie and I will says that strategy is working wonders on me.

19. Scarecrow_King Perpetually Annoyed

I thought he was cast fine for what Snyder wanted to do with Barry. The problem was that Snyder's version of Barry was off base from what Barry is in the comics.

20. Gothamsknight Registered

Bale is still my favorite Batman haha.

as for Caps return, I'm willing to wait and see how it goes before judging considering the track record of the MCU is good and I'm a Cap fan. In general though, I do find myself longing for the days of Raimi and Nolan. Where the focus was on a singular story and a directors vision rather than "how much can we do at once". I feel like even with the MCU, the era and peak of the shared universe ended with Endgame. The only reason I'm really excited for stuff like Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness is because of Sam Raimi, and the only reason I'm pumped for Spidey 3 is Tobey Maguires /Raimi verse involvement. without the Multi verse angle, I probably wouldn't give a damn about Spidey 3, even though I think Tom Holland is a great actor.

I think Matt Reeves is gonna satisfy our thirst for a singular story, and it really does feel fresh and original in the current CBM landscape.

21. SwordOfMorning Returning some video tapes.

Dr. Strange is a bit of a question mark for me because Marvel micromanages action sequences so badly. There's not a lot to Raimi as a filmmaker outside of aesthetics and camerawork, so... Not real sure it's going to feel a whole lot like a Raimi film if Marvel does its usual thing.

Unashamedly, shallowly fanboy excited for Spider-Man 3. I don't like MCU Spidey, but Garfield is my boy and I'm excited to see him again.

flickchick85 likes this.
  22. Gothamsknight Registered

This is my main concern and one I'm bracing myself for just in case.

23. emielaen Registered

That dude thinking The Batman was canceled due to SC is hilarious. But I don’t see the problem with them doing Keaton and Pattinson. They won’t be similar. Keaton likely won’t be the main character of the films he’s in. And I also don’t see the problem with a multiverse. It’s just a way to do crossovers if they want at any point. They see the competition and know that that’s how the big money is made. That’s all any studio is trying to do, but they also aren’t tying EVERYthing down to one world, style, look, etc today. They can still do a Joker-esque Dent film if they want and have it not intrude on Black Adam or Aquaman 2. I’m fine with the plan right now. Each corner of the universe has its own parts to flesh out. It’s all in the same existence, but it’s not interacting with one another constantly.

#19473 emielaen, Jan 14, 2021
  24. emielaen Registered

Most people don’t care about this boycott **** tho. Lol if the people who live and die by a Snyder movie wanna boycott The Batman, go for it.

Schlosser85 likes this.
  25. emielaen Registered

I mean, they do Crisis stuff. It’s not very far fetched for something down the road if they use their imagination. They’re already partially doing that with Flash. That’s the whole point of Flash. It doesn’t mean they’re running to do more and more dimension traveling films where Phoenix’s Joker bumps into Shazam, or whatever. As of today, most of the projects exist in their own corners of the universe, some even have other projects attached. If the goal is to have them come together in some capacity at some point, I don’t see a problem with that. They don’t have to choose solos/separation OR connectedness. Both can be accomplished.

shauner111 likes this.