The Batman - Rate And Review Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Detective Conan, Feb 27, 2022.

?

What’s Your Rating?

1. 10 - Masterpiece!

50 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. 9 - It’s Really Great!

79 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. 8 - It’s Great!

41 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. 7 - Good!

21 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. 6 - It’s Just Fine!

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. 5 - Mediocre!

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. 4 - Bad!

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  8. 3 - Terrible!

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  9. 2 - It’s Really Poor!

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. 1 - Worst Movie Ever!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. -Arya- In Dreams I Walk With You

Gut reaction - 10/10

This is a big budget version of David Fincher’s Zodiac with Batman and Gordon doing actual detective work. And that moment where he stopped Selina from killing Falcone? That moment he led those people out of the flooded Gotham Square Garden with the flare? That’s a perfect encapsulation of Batman. Catwoman is perfect. Gordon is perfect. This is a perfect Batman movie. As a life long fan of this character, I’m just so damn happy.

2. shauner111 Registered

If I’m into it, I’ll take 4 hours like ZSJL. I get why those BvS fanatics wanted 4 hours because I’d take that for all of my favourite films. If I’m only half into it then I get picky about long movies.

3. shauner111 Registered

It’s a 10/10 for me too. Can’t think of a single miss. I love the third act more than TDK’s third act as well.

4. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

I still find that bomb collar scene so damn intense. I love how Bats is just looking at the phone as Riddler is losing his ****. Easily one of my favorite Batman scenes ever.

I also really love that funeral scene overall. Bruce's interaction with Carmine, along with the Long Halloween reference, was so damn good.

5. Rick190293 Registered

The pacing still bothers me a little bit, specially when Bruce confronts Falcone. But overall I enjoyed it even more this time, such a rich and dense universe we have and is still the first movie. Now I want to see those new bts on YT :argh:

BMW 224 and Gothamsknight like this.
  6. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

Agreed. That probably the main thing that I think is a little bothersome on repeat viewings, but it's still mostly a really solid movie.

BMW 224, Daywalker89 and Rick190293 like this.
  7. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

I have yet to be bothered by the pacing in any of my viewings. In fact, I wish more movies could follow this level of atmospheric pacing.

So many movies today have that ADD editing that ruins the flow of the story.

8. Brother Jack Coffee/Contemplation

I'm of two minds about the length, because I also really admire that Reeves committed to making this thing as long and drawn-out as he could in a franchise-driven era that too often shuns that kind of languid pacing. But at the same time, I don't fully think the story necessitated a three hour runtime, and for me it's going to impact how often I return to this movie in the future. I also don't think it's quite as atmospheric as it could have been with that runtime. This isn't a mood piece like Blade Runner; it's a very plot-heavy film. It feels episodic in its structure actually, almost like a mini-series that was cut together into a single movie. I don't think that's a bad thing at all, but the cadence combined with the tone (and Pattinson's performance) made for a kind of sluggish viewing experience for me.

BatLobster and Gothamsknight like this.
  9. Rick190293 Registered

It's not exactly the editing, but more about the Thomas Wayne subplot, it wasn't well executed IMO. Suddenly he's corrupt, then even more suddenly he's good and was just trying to help Martha, and then we're back again with the Selina-Falcone situation, plus Riddler next victim... I think it was too much to be handled at once.

10. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

Yeah, this is what I have issues with. Riddler vanishes, and then the Falcone/Thomas Wayne sublot happens and it's over so fast too. I know it's supposed to be "shocking" but for me it just ended up filling up more runtime. Luckily it kicks into high gear again once Falcone is shot.

Rick190293 likes this.
  11. jamesb Registered

My 4th time watching it, and i dont have any issues with the pacing or different story elements. It all fits like a glove to me. And my 4th time watching it I appreciated the movie even more. Little things i missed was still happening. The attention to detail on this movie and the way it was made is top notch. I cant wait for the Art of The Batman to be released. Its going to be a stunning book .

BMW 224 and Rick190293 like this.
  12. Rick190293 Registered

Yes man, the conclusion of the Thomas issue was very rushed too, althrough the hospital scene between Bruce and Alfred is beautiful. It's on par with Bale/Caine scenes, one of the best of the entire movie. Wish we saw more of Serkis.

13. J.Drangal Registered

I see a lot of people having problems with this part of the film. I think it might come from the fact that there are about three or four consecutive scenes where the main character is less advancing the plot on his own, and more just getting information from others.
    We see Bruce learning about his family supposed corruption through a video. That leads to a confrontation with Falcone who's confirming and adding a spin ot it. And then, these revelations are immediately disqualified by Alfred.
    Personally, I liked those scenes and understand how the intent is to purposely show Bruce getting runaround because he's lost. But I can also see how their succession can momentarily make the film a bit static for some.

Speaking for myself, I would be more iffy on the next scene where all the main players are listening to a somewhat providential phone message unveiling the movie main mystery. This is the only moment the pacing is maybe taking a tiny hit for me. Where the Wayne's corruption short subplot gave us some emotional exchange, this scene just felt too explanatory for my taste. I also think that at this point, Batman and Gordon had all the information needed to figure out that Falcone was the rat on their own. Anyway, that's really my only nitpick.

Because otherwise, seriously, I could watch this Batman and Gordon investigating that Gotham underworld for days. To the risk of sounding totally silly, I think this is the first time since I was a little guy, watching BTAS and the Burton's movie, that I just want to be Batman ahah. :funny:
    Reeves and his team just managed to catch and enhance what's the charm of this world to me. The fact they also translate it through a certain idea of filmaking that is really speaking to me is the cherry on top. All of this is more than enough for me to close my eyes on any little nitpick I could have on some plot articulations.
    After all those years, it just feels so good to be truly hyped again for the franchise !

#338 J.Drangal, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  14. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

You know it didn't really occur to me until I was rewatching it, but the first Blade movie has some interesting similar dynamics to The Batman.

Daywalker89 and Scorpio like this.
  15. shauner111 Registered

A lot of people want their movies to have a consistent momentum and speed. Meh. I guess I understand, but I like my movies to take their time and breathe. I know a slower pace is a acquired taste, hell, my favourite film in the last few years (outside of The Batman) is The Green Knight. Plenty of people couldn’t sit through it but I drink that milkshake. I DRINK IT UP

16. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Well, for me, I love the pacing in The Batman and hated the slow pace of The Green Knight. Make of that what you will, lol. Regardless, I found The Batman engaging as hell and didn’t feel it dragged or whatever. I would happily watch a trilogy of three-hour Reeves Batman movies.

BMW 224, Elayis and shauner111 like this.
  17. Rick190293 Registered

The truth is that Reeves takes a long time in each key scene for the audience truly appreciate the moment. And, well, this takes time.

BMW 224 and Deck Rickard like this.
  18. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

There were moments I loved, liked really loved. Bruce staring at that kid at the beginning after his father was murdered is one of those all time moments of the character I won't forget.....

But having said that, and maybe it's because I'm exhausted with the over saturation of the character in recent years, I ultimately found the film to be an interesting and solid start to what Reeves is trying to build, and nothing really more.

As a franchise it has a long way to go before it can surpass what Bale, Nolan and Co achieved, which is what many fan pundits were claiming before release. Just hype to build their own 'profile'.

19. shauner111 Registered

Not sure what you mean by that last sentence.

20. Karelia Always Hold On To Smallville...

I watched this once in IMAX, and just finished it tonight on HBO Max. This is still a strong 9/10 for me. I love pretty much everything about this movie. I just miss the surround sound from the theaters a lot watching it at home haha.

flickchick85 likes this.
  21. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Just finished.

My reaction to the first half: wow, finally a fullblown Batman detective movie. Thank you!

My reaction to the second half: Kravitz's Catwoman is the heart of this movie. For the first time, I legitimately teared up during a Batman movie. And the ending with them going separate paths was flawless.

Overall: I know this slow burn gritty detective movie, with Nirvana and a heartthrob as Batman isn't for everyone but when it peaks it has some of the best Batman moments out there and I'm damn grateful/happy it exist.

22. Steyin Bidding you ADIEU!

A good film with some really great moments, but still something was missing from it for me personally. I'd probably give it a 7/10 after a first watch.

23. kguillou Registered

If i could give my two cents on the pacing conversation. Another element that I havent really seen discussed which contributes HEAVILY to the viewers feeling of the pace is the score. Giachhino’s score is very somber, moody, and unsettling and makes the movie FEEL slower to the viewer because it evokes that low tempo feeling.

Contrast that to Nolan’s movies where Zimmer’s score is more kinetic and pulse pounding and can make even a dialogue scene feel exciting to the viewer. Music in film contributes so much into how the viewer feels about a movie overall.

BMW 224, blaberskite and shauner111 like this.
  24. shauner111 Registered

Score is brilliant so I guess they should think the movie is brilliant :)

But fr, you might have a point. The movie is quite moody, and that’s just not something that every viewer will grab onto. Oh well. I’m happy it’s not ticking every single blockbuster box. I felt like Batman 89 ticked the fun boxes but left a lot unchecked. If you wanted a smart blockbuster with some weight to it (see T2) you were likely disappointed in SOME way. But damnit does it deliver on every other level. And that’s what most ppl wanted in 1989. Just a fun time at the movies.

TDK kinda ticked every box that you would need for a successful blockbuster. Meaty. Depth. Emotion. Fun. Steamroller momentum. Goofy. Epic. I usually compare it to Terminator 2 more than Heat these days.

The Batman ticked every box for me personally but maybe not for most viewers? it doesn’t kick off with a big action sequence. It’s moodier, slower, more mysterious. It has the action to satisfy me but perhaps not enough for most to call it a fun action movie. TDK has the weight but it’s still incredibly fun and much brighter visually. Harvey Dent’s theme is so bright and hopeful for the most part. Joker’s music pierces right through you like a sharp razor. All throughout the movie. Thumping, loud, percussive score to represent Batman. It’s like the sound of a determined hero. And the rest of the music just goes hand in hand with the film’s action beats. So much that we used to have arguments about the score feeling like a generic action score and not Batman enough for some posters. Shout out to Travesty lol. But that’s good blockbuster ****. Whereas Giacchino’s score is jazzier, more melancholy. The action beats are few and far between. Effective but brief by comparison. Sounds more like the score for a unreleased Hitchcock movie at times. All of this is a strength of the film and gives it its own identity. But is it as satisfying to EVERYONE? Of course you can’t please everyone but TDK and T2 are probably the closest/perfect examples of achieving that right? Jurassic Park ticks that box too because every time I rewatch that behemoth I’m reminded by how intelligent some of those discussions are.

The Batman is such a similar but DIFFERENT beast.

25. kguillou Registered

Well said @shauner111 but I'll also add, I dont think The Dark Knight (or Rises) are THAt much more action heavy heavy than The Batman. In fact they probably all have more or less the same amount of action beats. But, again, its the execution, how the film's paced, edited, the musical score..all of that plays a role in the viewer's enjoyment. Reeves relishes in long lingering shots and whereas Nolan is more economic with the editing. Look at the beginning of Batman Begins, the first half of that movie is cut pretty damn quick, a LOT happens in a short time span. That kind of thing prevents you're average moviegoer from getting bored.