The Batman - Rate And Review Thread (Spoilers)

10/10

This was hands down the best cinema experience I've ever had for this character since I saw Batman Begins in 2005. Waiting 8 long years since this project was announced on the DC Films slate finally paid off. This was a fresh, gritty, and unique take, from a film perspective, on a character that I've loved since I was little. I found myself getting lost in Riddler's game along with many of the characters that the story followed. There wasn't one second where I questioned Pattinson as the Dark Knight, nor any of the other cast as their assigned character.

Some of the shining moments were the narrative route Reeves decided to take with Bruce. This helped supplement the little screen time we got of Bruce with a larger idea that we're inside his head as well. This was the most Batman we've ever gotten in a Batman film, I swear it had to be nearly 2 hours of footage of him wearing the suit. Other standouts were the introduction to our new Batmobile, the chase sequence that followed, and Penguin's portrayal. While not as iconic as Ledger's Joker, I was surprised at how little of Colin I was able to find in the Penguin. Lastly standing out, Jeffrey Wright as Gordon nearly stole the show for me as someone I knew I could trust from the moment he showed up. His chemistry with Batman was incredible!

As far as nitpicks and negatives, the biggest shock to me was Riddler. While I loved the masked villain who found his way one step ahead of everyone else with the murders, chilling phone calls, and cryptic clues, my interest in the character nosedived when he was unmasked and his identity was, intentionally, lost. Paul Dano is a fine actor, no doubt, but I could not get behind what he was trying to portray with Edward once the cards were on the table in that interrogation scene. Selina Kyle isn't really a nitpick, but nothing amazing stood out for me. I loved Zoe in the role, but the character itself was pretty predictable in a lot of ways.

If they proved they can have multiple baddies and antiheroes in the franchise's first film, I'm confident that we will get to know this new Joker without him taking the spotlight (for now). I truly believe that Reeve's will want to stretch his legs a bit longer on the rogues gallery before going for it with Joker.

Cinema.

I go with 8/10, it could be very easy a 9,5/10 with 20min less screen time for me. I am one of the minority who is not impressed by Batman and get tired of the corrupt city trope, but I think this was propably my favorit Batman movie.

Pro
Pattinson is just awesome as Batman, I was really impressed
Zoe Kravitz and Pattinson have a great chemnistry, I hope Selina comes back in a sequel
The cinematography impress me, some shots are pure epic and beautiful
I love how often Batman and Gordon have scenes together / work as a team
Batman actually helping people (the kid T.T)
Riddlers portrayel was disgusting in a good way
The overall riddle was interesting, I want more Detective Batman
It is far away from emo-Batman like reviews said
Score

Con
As far the score is catchy and epic, the theme was overused during the run
The final confrontation of Falcone felt like the more dramatic fight than the real one, Riddlers end plan gave me secret-ending-taste and was rushed
Maybe one middle criminal too much in this, here and then the movie lost steam

Watched this last night and overall I am very satisfied. A 8.5 out of 10 movies for me. My thoughts:

The Good:

- This movie is dark, but in a good way. Many different layer of dark and it is beautiful to look at. The city and Batman looks amazing in it.
- Focus on investigation. It is quite intense as we get the puzzle bits by bits.
- Badass batmobile chase
- Pattinson is one awesome Batman. He's not impulsive but you can see the rage building up. I really like how he learns his lessons and matures as a character. The moments when he realised in horror that he inspired Riddler, and the subsequent parts in which he decided to be better than just vengeance were really well done. I love the Batman being the hope moment.
- Batman's movement and fight scenes strike a good balance between Nolan's realism and comicbook elements. They still don't want to do batarangs justice though.
- I was indifferent to Catwoman but now I really like her character. I think she brings the emotion aspects to this cold film.
- Riddler is a scary killer. The movie definitely build up his creepiness and overall it works, though it falters when he was unmasked.
- Bruce and Alfred interactions. More required though.
- The score was absolutely on point.

The Not-So-Good:

- While the movie makes use of its run time, I feel some parts linger on too long and could be cut down for better pacing. The movie is amazing in building up atmosphere, but sometimes to the detriment of the the movie.
- Some plot elements are just not necessary and the repercussions are not really worth the screentime (maybe they will explore it in the next movie). I don't think making Thomas Wayne morally questionable really achieve much in this movie. Maybe the sequel will address that, there are hints afterall.
- This movie focuses on Batman being a detective....but he still sorta sucks. Bale Batman comes across more competent in this part despite being criticised as not smart enough. I can see intense debate on this once everyone watches this movie.
- Needs more Alfred. He's underused.
- Needs more Bruce as well. I get what they were trying to do in this movie but there's one moment at the very end that they could have Bruce making a public appearance and be inspiring (like Zero Year that serves as one of the inspirations to this movie did), but they didn't. Maybe we will get The Bruce Wayne in the sequel.

All in all. Awesome movie. I would love to watch it again but I'm not gonna risk it again as case in my place is getting higher. When it hits streaming will rewatch and it definitely will get better.

Last edited:
I finally got my Rucka/Brubaker style Bat film, I couldn’t be happier.

The most important random thing I have to say tonight, I’ll say more later, is how they let the suit and Pattinson linger over every scene. The sound editing was stellar. This was Batman’s film… and it was made for us. There is so many little things that show how much Reeves cares about Batman’s legacy and history.

Also, this is truly the first film to showcase the heroism of Batman.

Just saw it, lots to love, lots to like, some meh, and a bunch of stuff I couldn’t stand.

Loved Pattinson. Awesome to see Bats get real screen time. Gordon was great. This is probably the best use of teamwork and side characters in a Batman film. Penguin stole the show, but there were lots of great little roles.

Also the best approach to Bat-Gadgets in any film, hands down. Grateful they utilized lenses that obscured his eyes and nodded to next gen tech while keeping everything handmade and weighty. The Batmobile ruled. The adrenaline spike etc. All the gear was great.

Finally, LOVE Wayne tower design and Gotham design. Superficial but welcome.

On the liked but not loved side - I didn’t think Zoe Kravitz had real star power in the role compared to the others who have played it. She was fine. But her character was great - excellent use of the character.

I feel Reeves gave us a noir detective movie, but not the Worlds Greatest Detective movie - but I gathered by the end that was intentional - not only does Bats have to become a beacon of light, but he has to use his intellect to see the big picture.

I did like the use of humor - also grounded and not at all like Marvel, while still making for a dynamic full spectrum emotional experience.

On the meh side - the Rata Lada stuff was rough. And I don’t think the beats with Alfred landed at all for the audience I saw it with, which was a shame.

Overall, a good Chinatown-like story should have an unexpected twist - the twist here was that Riddler didn’t know Batman was Bruce Wayne. Interesting, but didn’t feel like that twist was really connected to the mystery. I love mysteries, and this wasn’t really a mystery.

Also for me on the meh side… I hate to say it but I actually wasn’t totally on board with the overblown and constant anamorphic lens/fisheye warping, although it’s totally a valid choice for the film.

Last meh thing - didn’t dig the dialogue all that much. A few good lines, but not the classic banter of a truly great noir.

Now for the stuff I couldn’t stand…

The “unseen prisoner” scene was a dumpster fire to me and took me WAY out of the film. Riddler’s beats had already been successfully hammered home and it felt like cable TV level villain stuff. “Riddle me this?” Really? Yuck. This alone took the film down half a star for me.

And the Wayne scandal stuff… I guess it wasn’t as bad as Keoghker, but to me it felt like they were really winking at lore in this self-aware way. Any time the movie actively subverted Batman, I felt like it swerved really hard. They could have Renewal be a failure without getting in the dumpster with the Falcone stuff.

Btw, the huge capitalized HUSH money bit during Riddler’s Wayne expose was their nod to Hush and I’d be surprised if there’s more over the trilogy.

I also had a really hard time swallowing Batman’s invulnerability to automatic gunfire. To me, it spoiled the grounded element.

So for me? 7.5/10 - A really great start to a new Bat trilogy, but it came in solidly below my too-high expectations. Without Barry Keogh’s horrendously bad scene, 8/10.

Just got done watching it and it's probably my favorite Bat film thus far. It felt like watching a game come to life and seeing it in 4DX definitely helped with the feeling.

While i prefer playboy Bruce, Patterson of course suited emo Bruce but was great as Batman. I enjoyed that he wasn't perfect as Batman, was bested though the film. The terror on his eyes wheb he thought Riddler knew he was Bruce was great.

It was refreshing to get Selina right off the bat and have her throughout the film. Given the ending, i wont accept a sequel without her. I did think she needed a bit more as Catwoman. She got saved by Bats plenty and her saving him just resulted in him saving her from saving him. So i wanted her to get a big save and be a little more effective in their first encounter.

Even though the film was long, it didn't feel 3hrs long. It was moody but had life to it. I feel like this is what Snyder wanted BvS to be in a sense.

9/10. Of all the superhero films to come out I'd say this one definitely deserves a lot of awards.

I thought it was good, for a 3 hr movie they did keep the suspense and action going.

For me Batman is Batman now a days he is one of the easiest to do a movie for since he has real setting and is detective based as they choose most of the villains without powers. I really like the music and Riddler has always been on the top of my villain list. I am glad they gave him another shot.

The Joker scene was nice I figured they would allude to him as this was year 2 as The Bat and Joker happens year 1. I don't think they need to constantly do Joker though, but they have been scared off from villains with weird looks or powers since Mr.Freeze. Maybe do Hugo Strange since he has not had any appearance.

Yep, pretty damn good movie. Not quite up there with Begins or TDK… lacked the epic, iconic quality of both of those, but a very solid 8.5/9. Joker scene entirely unnecessary and poor.

Pattinson excellent. Dano equally. Loved the way Bruce and Alfred made things up… felt like a response to the poor way Nolan handled their relationship in Rises.

Kravitz was okay. Farrell brilliant.

Batmobile fabulous. Wingsuit a bit stupid. Better to have the classic cape glide.

Plot good, but some thing’s needed better exposition and set up.

Cinematography out of this world. Gotham a beautiful, disgusting, rain soaked mess. David Fincher must be proud.

The No kill rule perfectly done.

…Now, let’s have a fully fleshed out Batman in the next flick please, Matt.

Last edited:
Yep, pretty damn good movie. Not quite up there with Begins or TDK… lacked the epic, iconic quality of both of those

This is interesting. I agree, but at the same time I don't necessarily hold that against the movie because I don't think it was trying to be that as much as it was trying to be a hard boiled detective film.

I also wonder like...is the intention to build up to that type more 'traditional' superhero film, or is this series going to stay more grounded in this same type of pulp noir feel? It certainly was a good way to differentiate itself. And I feel like we've only taken baby steps into Batman being the "world's greatest" detective.

There are so many directions it could go with where they left things off, I'm definitely interested to see which avenue Reeves chooses to explore.

8.5/10 for me.

Watched it on tuesday and wasn't immediately over the moon about it... that being said, the more I think about this movie the more I like it. Watching it again on IMAX next week. Loved the acting. Paul Dano was a bit over-the-top but still good.

Weak point was the final act; I feel like Carmine Falcone's being arrested was the big conclusion to the story. Everything else after that scene felt a bit by-the-numbers.

It definitely isn't my ideal version of the Batverse (I wanted something with more fantasy elements, maybe closer to the Arkham games) but it's still really really good.

This is interesting. I agree, but at the same time I don't necessarily hold that against the movie because I don't think it was trying to be that as much as it was trying to be a hard boiled detective film.

I also wonder like...is the intention to build up to that type more 'traditional' superhero film, or is this series going to stay more grounded in this same type of pulp noir feel? It certainly was a good way to differentiate itself. And I feel like we've only taken baby steps into Batman being the "world's greatest" detective.

There are so many directions it could go with where they left things off, I'm definitely interested to see which avenue Reeves chooses to explore.

I was wondering the same thing. I feel they will likely ramp up but I don't think part 2 will be the big one if a trilogy is what he really wants. Who knows though we are at an interesting point right now.

i thought it was a well done movie. his theme song is awesome and adds so much to the movie. ferrell was fantastic.

but it was really long - could've chopped off 30 mins. i was getting uncomfortable in my chair lol.

zoe looks more and more like here mom each day.

7/10

pros
loved the setting noir type vibe the film has
Batman investigating was great
Pattinson as Batman was good as well as the rest of the cast was great

Cons
Too slow
not enough action
Story was weak
Not enough Bruce Wayne playboy persona hope we get that in the future films

Are you sure that it won't feel epic iconic as time goes one ?

Not to take anything aways from the TDK but I think the reason it feels so epic and iconic is because of how long we've had it and how well it's aged.

I personally think it's to soon to declare The Batman as lacking that when it's so new.

Gotta say, I feel like the amount of action in this movie was just right. It's punctuation to the overarching story and every time I started to crave just a few punches or something, they were delivered to me within like 5 mins haha. Obviously if you have a lot of issues with the story then the relative lack of action will probably exhaust you, but I was engrossed the whole time.

Really, really loved this film. Loved how dark it was, loved how weird and moody Bruce was and just so refreshing to have a Batman story that follows the tropes of a detective/noir story over a superhero movie.

My only two criticisms were the pacing. I loved how much creative control Reeves clearly had over this cut but there were definitely a handful of scenes that were longer than they need to be. Lingering moments here and there that I felt could've been pacier and really kept things moving. E.g. when Batman grapples up to Riddlers apartment, there's like a weird awkward 10 seconds of him climbing through the window, stumbling through the corridor, before he kicks the door in.... Whereas just opening on the door kick would've kept things moving. Just lots of little moments like that which were minor on their own, but all up slowed things down big time.

Also thought poor Gordon got stuck with the worst dialogue in the movie haha. Most of his lines were just repeating things Batman said, setting him up for cool one liners or exposition. Would love to see him get more development in a future film.

But overall, really loved this movie. I love how it served as a prequel to the Batman (and Bruce Wayns) we know and love without rehashing his origin. And also a prequel to Riddler too. Love that he admired Batman initially but where things are left with him, I can absolutely see him being driven by needing to prove that he's smarter than Batman. Definitely keen to see him come back and Paul Dano was great in the role.

Gotta say, I feel like the amount of action in this movie was just right. It's punctuation to the overarching story and every time I started to crave just a few punches or something, they were delivered to me within like 5 mins haha. Obviously if you have a lot of issues with the story then the relative lack of action will probably exhaust you, but I was engrossed the whole time.

Agreed. I was very happy to have so many scenes of Batman just talking, thinking and rationalising. The one element of the character we’ve missed all these years on film.

There were seven total action sequences. Five total fights, the chase, and then the GCPD escape.

saw it again today and liked it better. Joker bothered me less and I noted that the music box sounds I described as bugging me were still playing Ave Maria, so not a full on Joker leitmotif. It’s still a scene that sticks out like a sore thumb, but it isn’t quite as bad the second time around.

There were seven total action sequences. Five total fights, the chase, and then the GCPD escape.

Definitely felt like plenty of action to me. It was all done really really well.

Easy 9/10. Incredible pacing for a 3 hour movie where every scene matters. It is a nice change of pace from the Comic Book Films we typically see in 2022. They cared about character/story over skeptical/pointless CGI action.

Here is my impressions:

Good points:
  • Cinematography! Some shots are really nice to look at. Gotham City looked sick, dark as should be and very stylized. The look and feel of Gotham was very nice!
  • The Riddler. Paul Dano as the riddler was terrific, considering the material he was given to work with. He was way better than Pattinson for me. He should have had definitely more screentime.
  • Prologue. The start of the movie was the best. I loved the intro.
Bad points:
  • Runtime. God damn it was way to long and it felt VERY long. Too much terrible scenes that you just want to end but never do. If I was not with other people we would have left halfway through but the torture went on and on and on. Every time I thought it was ending nope there's more, unfortunately. For the start of a trilogy (god i hope the next movies will be better) it was just to long and not epic enough. Don't get me wrong - i like long movies if there is reason to justify the runtime.
  • Pacing. The pacing was all over the place and as i said most scenes felt way to long. The story didnt flow to me.
  • Script. It is bad, they wanted to throw too much stuff in just one film. All this maroni/falconi/wayne/arkham family/mob plot was way to convoluted and messy. If you try copy se7en they should have focused way more on the riddler an the crime scenes and the riddles. Most of the stuff got solved so quickly seemed way to unrealistic. The real zodiac code took decades to decipher eg.
  • Fight scenes. This batman is way too underpowered. They made batman a joke. He felt very weak and he should have been killed a few times in the movie, he gets away
    with things mostly out of luck (Banged his head on the bridge when he jumped the gcpd roof, car pursuit, neck bomb explosion, point blank shotgun to the chest, all these scenes portrayed 0 Batman skills). Plot armor saved him way too much.
  • Not enough Bruce Wayne. But to be honest i hate this characterization of Bruce, he was really unlikable and way to emo and flat out weird. I could not care less what was happening to him in the movie. This is a guy who is called Vengeance or Batman / Bruce Wayne but he isn't.
  • VENGEANCE. Vengeance, Vengeance why the f**** didnt they call him batman. Gosh it got cringy really fast. Maybe they should have called the movie The Vengeance.
  • Score. Overused and still forgettable and not iconic enough.
  • Joker Scene. So unnecessary and terrible. One of the many scenes that should have been cut.
  • No Wayne Manor and real Batcave. Maybe in the future.

They took a crime drama, sprinkled in a little action and gave the characters Batman names. Oh and thanks for throwing in a bunch of woke virtual signaling, that always helps a bad movie.

Last edited:
Now I processed the movie, I would like to speak about Bruce's character.

Even if I was expecting a real flaws in his parents to shake him, his characterization and arc is beautiful.
So, after a week of rewatching of all past iterations, I would make a confrontation with other Bruces.

1. Keaton. Burton managed very well to make it a freak and a shadowy and tormented man, but what I most liked about him is the little scenes where he's shown as a child (in B89 mostly). He is still that scared boy in the Alley.
Otherwise, the fact he isn't empathetic at all is very disappointing. He kills, ok, but the main problem is with Penguin. If this Bruce would have found a link with him, I think the movie would be even more heartbreaking.

2. Kilmer. Even if the execution is too didactic and silly sometimes, I think that his torment and not being too bad with his enemies is pretty good to see in a Batman. Before Pattinson, I think he was the most cinematic accurate Bruce. How he tells Harvey he needs help or how he cares about Dick... Beautiful.
I think Kilmer's Batman didn't have a real problem about characterization (if we don't consider all Chase Meridian love interest...), the problem is the execution.

3. Clooney. Well, the movie is quite bad and silly and Batman is not even the main character (he is in peace and doesn't have a real arc), but I think that Bruce and Alfred scenes and the final monologue of Batmam with Freeze is something we didn't see anymore in cinema... Until now.

4. Bale. Well, he has a full and coherent arc but I think Nolan missed a big side of the character. On the opposite side of Burton, Nolan didn't embrace the queerness of the character and fully went on the route of his idealism side.
Which is good: Batman is idealistic, Batman is justice.
But what I think Nolan missed was the more istinctual side of the character.
The night Waynes are killed, Bruce became Batman. In Nolan's movie, Batman in a conscious and rational instrument in Bruce's hands. It is an instrument, a mask he puts.
Even if at the end of BB Rachel says that his true face is Batman's, Nolan went totally on other route in the sequels.
Batman is a symbol, ok fine, but the real Bruce Wayne is obsessed in being Batman because HE IS the Batman.
He has a shadow inside of him.
Nolan's Batman is too much a rational thing. That's my main problem with TDKR.
I can say is a coherent character: a depressed man who tries to find a reason in an ideal. And is quite good the fact that this Bruce is constantly in prison when he isn't Batman. At the beginning of BB, at the beginning of TDKR in his manor, in the Pit lately.
But the point, to me, is that Bruce Wayne is not depressed: he is more an obsessive compulsive man.
That's the core of the comic character.
The way Nolan portraited him ended to castrate the character. He can't be Batman for too long, because Batman isn't a deep necessity to him.
So, Nolan did a good job for the idealistic side, but he chose a route to Bruce's mind problems that weren't coherent to the real comic character to me.
And I'm mostly sorry for Bale: he was cast after American Psycho but he never had the chance to show a mental ill Bruce, since Nolan's vision took too much power on Goyer's.
What could have been TDK with a true arc of Bruce? I mean, after Rachel's death he didn't lose the control at all. Zero.
That's the flaw of the movie and in TDKR it became an huge problem to me.

5. Affleck. I will be fast: that's not Batman.
Not just because he kills, it's poorly written and Affleck's acting is so boring, but mainly because if you separate Batman from Gotham and his villains you're not doing a Batman movie.

6. Pattinson. Easily the best and most complete version of the character.
He takes a lot from BTAS (to me, the best Batman), he mixes good Burton's and Nolan's side of the characterization and, mostly, he adds some sides that wasn't in other movies putting them inside the arc and the conflicts of a coming of age story.
The fact that Reeves understands that Batman is linked and mirrors a lot with his villains is gold. He is an inspiration to them, but mostly he is ONE OF THEM.
I loved some subtle things like the fact that Riddler and Bruce both had notebooks, for example.
But all the Vengeance thing.
The point is that even if Bruce is a monster like his enemies he is saved by the care of the people he loves.
That's the key of the arc in this movie and was shown well only in BTAS.
So, Bruce is empathetic with his villains, he cures is scars with love.
On the other hand he IS Batman and is obsessed by it, always on the border between being a good man or a psychotic.

I'm so happy of that, because Reeves build a character that makes possible to explore Bruce mental wealth, a rogue gallery that returns many times and, mostly, a BatFamily.

Finally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"