The Batman - Rate And Review Thread (Spoilers)

I gave it a 9. I really enjoyed it overall. It reminded me a lot of Se7en, which is one of my all time favorite movies so that helped. I was worried about not liking Pattinson as Batman but he did a really good job. His Bruce was very mopey, but that fit with the story. Paul Dano was fantastic just like I knew he would be.

I cry for Colin Farrell's beautiful face under all that makeup. Zoe was great, I wish we would've gotten more of Andy Serkis as Alfred. I like that they said it was him to taught Bruce to fight because his Alfred looked a lot tougher than we normally see. I'm irrationally annoyed at how rude Bruce was to him though. And in the hospital when he makes up for it, it should've been Bruce to reach his hand out first. That's my petty dislike that I zeroed in on.

I'm kind of sick of The Joker at this point, so that tease at the end didn't really get me excited. I'd rather just see Riddler again or Penguin villain wise.

I will add that
Batmans speech at the end about moving past scars to use them for something good hit me on a personal level as well. I feel like at this point in time, I can really relate to that and it's something that I think some people have to consider at one point in their lives.

This hit me emotionally as well, when they unmasked that last Riddler wannabe and he said I'm vengeance, that's when it hit Bruce he needs to be more than that. Really liked him reaching out his hand and they were hesitant at first - and his speech at the end was flawless.

This is definitely cinema.

I love that this movie exists. I love that it’s a noir that is nonetheless pretty much a spot on adaption of the character with modern twists. It’s weirdly faithful, without adapting any one storyline from any source.

I wonder how many people understand that this movie is simultaneously embracing Batman and poking fun at him and subverting the concept itself. Everyone around Batman who isn’t being beat to a pulp or watching him do so pretty much finds him silly, annoying, counterproductive, etc.

And God bless them for putting so many puns into this movie the way they did.

The film has a lot of glaring flaws…because it’s a full on noir take. The characters, setting and concepts are recognizeable enough, but this is both visually and conceptually a noir (the superfluous collar is a nod to the visual image created by the collar of a trenchcoat, even the cape hangs and moves like a trenchcoat, and he’s just walking into/through crime scenes, not moving like a creature of the night).

While this movie is about him as a detective, he’s not anything close to the World’s Greatest Detective here. He may never be. He’s the World’s Greatest Gumshoe, in true noir fashion. He has a rudimentarty knowledge of crime scenes, forensics, etc. This is a very human, fallible Batman. He’s solving crimes through trial and error, which is how real detective work...works.

In the end, in true noir fashion, he’s more than a step behind the bad guys due to his blind spots (blind as a…), and he almost bumbles his way into saving the day, like a classic gumshoe does. The mystery he DOES solve is the impetus behind his own motivations, ambitiously and emotionally. I love that there are dual mysteries running through the movie. One for Bruce and one for Batman, and that they dovetail. That's one of the unique structural things about this movie.

I’ve seen some complaints about story VS character,a relative lack of character development or exploration. And that’s true. But a lot of the issues people have are because Reeves did in fact go almost full noir. Going back to the same settings three, four times before it matters? Noir. Femme fatale introducing story elements? Noir. Cop friend greasing the wheels for the detective? Noir.

And as a noir, as is tradition, because of the focus on story and already formed characters, the exploration of character concepts remains a little surface. Which holds the film back when it tries to explore some of its more ambitious ideas. For instance, Catwoman isn’t given a lot of depth, but she’s so well situated as both the femme fatale/damsel iconography within the noir genre that it’s hard to say they still didn’t nail it with the character,both in the noir sense, and as an adaption of Selina Kyle. Especially the story points, going from trying to find her loved one to us slowly discovering secrets about her life to true CATharsis related to both.

In general, the movie feels like “A week in the life of Batman”, which is exactly what the detective's story should be in a noir take. It’s an important week, to be sure, and a formative one, but still just a week in the life of Batman.

I thought Pattinson was good…for this very specific version of the character. Visually, he’s well cast. His Batvoice was just okay, although it was consistent, which was nice. I saw a review that said he seemed almost ambivalent about his fate as Batman. He doesn’t seem exactly menacing in this movie, which is borne out when people make fun of and try to sidetrack him (another noir trope). I would say he seems more in a meditative state as the character. Being Batman is, rather paradoxically, the only time he seems to find peace and purpose. When he’s not Batman, he’s pretty much strung out and miserable and chasing the high. It’s portrayed an obsession bordering on an addiction, and he pushes it further and further.

This movie is about Bruce rediscovering his humanity, which was always there below his mask. It's there from the beginning. He’s presenting as this uber violent vengeance driven character, but that’s not actually what he is. There are clues to this throughout the film, from his first fight to his compassionate outreach. despite how much he broods or how obsessed and violent he seems. And that’s what he slowly realizes, scene by scene, and then we see the compassion go into overdrive, and it’s brief and not all that brilliant, but still very satisfying. It’s like he realizes how simple what he needs to do is, and he just starts doing it.

The wry humor is great. “Thumb…drive.” The noir/crime lingo usually lands on at least one level.

I got a chuckle that even this is grounded, he still has the ridiculous rapidly winching grapple gun that can nab the feet of falling people. Liked some of the other gadgets, the computer tech, the lenses, the wingsuit, the rappelling line. He treats them as tools of the trade, their origins aren’t dwelled on. I would have loved to have seen them homage the ”swinging on a rope” thing at some point, but what’s in the movie works very well as is.

Ironically, the noir approach, and the subversion of cliches, is what keeps this one in the very good category vs being a truly great film and adaption of the character. We’ve seen a lot of this before, including elements of the suit. As such, It’s…comfortable. A bit like coming home. But despite being comfortable, it also gives us things we haven’t seen on film (A truly compassionate Batman who won’t kill and doesn’t generally use violence when he doesn’t have to).

Some of the moments in the film seem to function as outright homages to other Batman films, including the Schumacher ones. And quite a few of the themes, the concepts have been done…just not quite like this.

Some of the cinematic homages are obvious; Chinatown, The French Connection(flying Batmobile), Klute, Se7en. But as a whole, it’s very close to being a masterpiece on its own merits. Reeves never dwells on those influences, nor is this movie a hodpodge of them; he makes this his own. And he directed the heck out of this. There is some really good visual storytelling. What character’s don’t say informs the moments unfolding. The flood is the compassionate imagery compared to the violence of fire. In the graveyard, Batman is choosing life VS dwelling on the past. Stuff like that will give this film lasting value beyond entertainment.

Storywise, This is a good crime/mystery film in the same way that The Dark Knight was kind of a silly, heightened one. But in a way, this franchise and Nolan’s, as more grounded pieces of the mythology, actually complement each other very well. This film probably wouldn’t work as well if previous Batman comics, series and films didn’t exist, hadn’t set certain foundations. We take his origin story, his armor, his gadgets, the car, his allies, the villains, the locales, as a matter of course. Because they are familiar. So the film doesn’t really get points for including some of them, and skipping thematic development in certain areas. But the noir take is compelling. It has a noirish deft touch when it comes to character development. You have to connect the dots about why Bruce does what he does, how he feels about his family’s legacy, and why he went in this direction instead of doing what his parents did and what other elements of Gotham seem to want him to do.

The cast is excellent. No one is truly brilliant, but as an ensemble, they complement each other really well.

THE BATMAN will hold up and have rewatchability, even just visually. The cinematography is absolutely incredible. The use of light, shadow, different tones, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a character slightly turning or tilting their head look so damn striking.

Giacchino’s score is lush and romantic and classic, with a few modern twists and nods to other composers' work on the character.

This one will grow on me. Definitely hungry for more. You can see where this is going, with vacant Commissioner and DA jobs, a new Mayor, Joker/Riddler, Zero Year/No Man’s Land elements. A Penguin/mob spinoff. Arkham spinoff. A possible Catwoman spinoff. Good times ahead.

And for the actual sequel, given the characters introduced…could be any one of them featured. But which one?

Which...ones?

The four of them…their forces combined…

When all is said and done, this may end up being the definitive modern portrayal of Batman. Ranking the versions and films right now seems kind of pointless, though, as there's too much to chew on about this one. We have several really good Batman movies. Reeves said it himself. It’s about bringing something new to it. And he did. And we get more Batman THIS YEAR. It’s a great time to be a Batman fan.

Just got out of the movie a couple of hours ago and I thought it was great. I thought the first hour/ninety minutes was incredible but it did get a little slow in the middle. Will be interesting to see how I feel about that on a rewatch.

All of the acting performances were great. When the movie was cast, I think we all spoke about the fact that Reeves went going for talented actors and that really paid off in the movie. I caught myself at one point noticing how, as it moved from scene to scene, nobody felt out of place and they were all giving strong performances.

I thought Pattinson was incredible as Batman. The acting and Batman voice were both fantastic. The voice at certain points really reminded me of Bale (in Begins) and Kilmer. It was also great to see him in the suit for so much of the movie. And a special note for the suit - I thought it looked amazing in every scene.

Zoe Kravitz was great as Selina Kyle. I actually expected her to be in a little based on what I’d read prior. However, she was still a big part of the movie and what we did see left me excited to see more. I hope she gets her own spin-off series or movie! The interactions between her and Batman were brilliant. Particularly in the first act. One of my favourite scenes was when she wore the eye lenses and earpiece in the club with Batman watching on the monitor.

As for the Unseen Arkham prisoner scene, I really enjoyed it and I am glad it was in the movie. One of the aspects I was hoping for from Reeves was to have a world already populated with Batman characters. I didn’t want another Nolan scenario where we don’t find out about the existence of certain characters until we get to their movie. It’s just cool to know that The Joker (or the man who will become Joker) already exists in this world. Having said that, I do hope he’s not one of the main villains in the sequel. I would wait until the third movie but in the meantime, it would be good to have him pop up in one or two scenes again or introduce him in one of the spin-off shows.

Overall, a wonderful job by Matt Reeves and company. I’m so glad he’s in charge of this Bat-verse and I hope he gets the chance to do everything he has planned as I am so excited to see more.

Really liked it. Got so many Batman things correct, even though on the detective parts, other people kinda gave the final clue to him. Too long, can't remember the last time I looked at my watch 4 times during a movie. 10-20 minute could easily be cut or with some re-editing. The 3rd act... As some people have already said, that 4chan community came out of nowhere. So I agree with Harloff's words that I was satisfied with it, but not overjoyed. Also really have to agree with Jeremy Jahns, Bruce needs to smile and look sharper in general or people are going to figure out that broody Bruce is broody Batman. :funny: I'd give 8½/10 for this one.

Last edited:
I remember going to see The Dark Knight Rises about a decade a go but this point waiting for an end to that trilogy that I was convinced I would love. But what I instead found was a movie I found underwhelming and a discourse around Batman that made me tired of Batman for a while. That sense of Bat-fatigue only grew during Zack Snyder's divisive foray into the DC universe. So when this was project was first announced, I didn't much care.

But then Matt Reeves started talking about his vision of what this movie would be. While I have enjoyed the likes of the Burton and Nolan eras of Batman on films, one thing all eras have lacked for me was the aspect of Batman being the World's Greatest Detective. I also always felt like Batman could be scarier in these movies. The criminals were plenty afraid of him, but I found something about the presentation a bit silly that undermined that. Nolan's Batman was saddled with a goofy voice thay made him sound like he has been perpetually jogging for hours and the helmet was so goofy looking and immobile that it became a plot point. Keaton was more intimidating, but his Bruce was too Burton loner and not enough effective playboy. But Reeves was promising me a neo noir detective story like I had always wanted to see. My interest piqued. Trailers had me even more sold. I was ready to walk into this movie and seeing an amazing Batman story. But unlike that day with The Dark Knight Rises, not only was I not disappointed with the film, I found exactly the Batman film I wanted to see all this time.

Gotham City is dripping with atmosphere. Most comic book films and blockbusters anymore have that same stock style that was clearly all green screen backdrops, and that usually gets the job done, but it cannot replace good set design, cinematography, etc. The Batman in this way has more in common with Blade Runner 2049 than it does other blockbusters. The city is a character in the film, and the camera work sucks you in like any classic nor should. Though given the amount of rain, I imagine a lot of people working on this film got sick lol.

The on-screen legacy of the character was passed onto Robert Pattinson after Affleck's departure and this film becoming its own entity far removed from the popular shared universe trappings. This never worried as I have seen plenty outside of the awful Twilight films to know the man is a good actor. Pattinson's version quickly wins you over from his first appearance in the film, and he easily is the Batman I was waiting for. His movements slow and Jason Vorhees like until he let's loose his rage. His footsteps an echo in the darkness sending shivers down your spine. This version also lives up to the Detective moniker Reeves had teased leading up to the film. The Batman truly comes to life with the direction of Reeves and the performanc of Pattinson in a way that hadn't been achieved prior.

The cast of this film is largely wonderful. From Zoe Kravitz as the female fatale Catwoman and Colin Farrel disappearing behind wonderful effects and make-up work as the Penguin. But if there is another performer who needs recognized, it is Paul Dano. Riddler has been largely played as a goofy character on-screen, seen by Jim Carrey and Frank Gorshin. Matt Reeves opted to take a lot of elements from the Zodiac killer for his more modern and disturbing version of the classic villain, but it is Paul Dano who breathes life into it. Every scene he is in is both terrifying and suspenseful. The way he uses his voice inflections to unnerve you through that full face mask are superb. The core mystery and goal for the character are also really well thought out and done. Riddler stories to be great need to be a bit more precise, as does any good mystery. The film succeeds at both.

There is so much to unpack with this film. Some blockbusters succeed at entertainment but don't ask much from the audience. The Batman succeeds at being a blockbuster and a great film rich in atmosphere, theme, performance, and basically everything. In my mind, this is the best Batman film ever made. Yes. I said that

5 out of 5

8/10 for me. It’s a great movie. The Dark Knight is still my favorite Batman movie and Ben Affleck is still my favorite Batman/Bruce Wayne but this new movie and Robert Pattinson are still ranked pretty high in my book.

I remember going to see The Dark Knight Rises about a decade a go but this point waiting for an end to that trilogy that I was convinced I would love. But what I instead found was a movie I found underwhelming and a discourse around Batman that made me tired of Batman for a while. That sense of Bat-fatigue only grew during Zack Snyder's divisive foray into the DC universe. So when this was project was first announced, I didn't much care.

But then Matt Reeves started talking about his vision of what this movie would be. While I have enjoyed the likes of the Burton and Nolan eras of Batman on films, one thing all eras have lacked for me was the aspect of Batman being the World's Greatest Detective. I also always felt like Batman could be scarier in these movies. The criminals were plenty afraid of him, but I found something about the presentation a bit silly that undermined that. Nolan's Batman was saddled with a goofy voice thay made him sound like he has been perpetually jogging for hours and the helmet was so goofy looking and immobile that it became a plot point. Keaton was more intimidating, but his Bruce was too Burton loner and not enough effective playboy. But Reeves was promising me a neo noir detective story like I had always wanted to see. My interest piqued. Trailers had me even more sold. I was ready to walk into this movie and seeing an amazing Batman story. But unlike that day with The Dark Knight Rises, not only was I not disappointed with the film, I found exactly the Batman film I wanted to see all this time.

Gotham City is dripping with atmosphere. Most comic book films and blockbusters anymore have that same stock style that was clearly all green screen backdrops, and that usually gets the job done, but it cannot replace good set design, cinematography, etc. The Batman in this way has more in common with Blade Runner 2049 than it does other blockbusters. The city is a character in the film, and the camera work sucks you in like any classic nor should. Though given the amount of rain, I imagine a lot of people working on this film got sick lol.

The on-screen legacy of the character was passed onto Robert Pattinson after Affleck's departure and this film becoming its own entity far removed from the popular shared universe trappings. This never worried as I have seen plenty outside of the awful Twilight films to know the man is a good actor. Pattinson's version quickly wins you over from his first appearance in the film, and he easily is the Batman I was waiting for. His movements slow and Jason Vorhees like until he let's loose his rage. His footsteps an echo in the darkness sending shivers down your spine. This version also lives up to the Detective moniker Reeves had teased leading up to the film. The Batman truly comes to life with the direction of Reeves and the performanc of Pattinson in a way that hadn't been achieved prior.

The cast of this film is largely wonderful. From Zoe Kravitz as the female fatale Catwoman and Colin Farrel disappearing behind wonderful effects and make-up work as the Penguin. But if there is another performer who needs recognized, it is Paul Dano. Riddler has been largely played as a goofy character on-screen, seen by Jim Carrey and Frank Gorshin. Matt Reeves opted to take a lot of elements from the Zodiac killer for his more modern and disturbing version of the classic villain, but it is Paul Dano who breathes life into it. Every scene he is in is both terrifying and suspenseful. The way he uses his voice inflections to unnerve you through that full face mask are superb. The core mystery and goal for the character are also really well thought out and done. Riddler stories to be great need to be a bit more precise, as does any good mystery. The film succeeds at both.

There is so much to unpack with this film. Some blockbusters succeed at entertainment but don't ask much from the audience. The Batman succeeds at being a blockbuster and a great film rich in atmosphere, theme, performance, and basically everything. In my mind, this is the best Batman film ever made. Yes. I said that

5 out of 5
Great review, SF! I feel like we haven’t agreed on much recent CBM stuff, but we sure as heck agree on this one. :D

8/10 freaking loved it. The score, the cinematography, the acting, the action... THE BATMOBILE!

Batfleck still my personal favorite, but I can see him getting dethroned if the sequel gives us a bit more mature Bruce/Batman.

I just don't get the hype around Batfleck. His acting is so wooden and phoned in IMO. Rewatched The Dark Knight and just watched The Batman... Bale and Pattinson act circles around Ben.

This is definitely cinema.

I love that this movie exists. I love that it’s a noir that is nonetheless pretty much a spot on adaption of the character with modern twists. It’s weirdly faithful, without adapting any one storyline from any source.

I wonder how many people understand that this movie is simultaneously embracing Batman and poking fun at him and subverting the concept itself. Everyone around Batman who isn’t being beat to a pulp or watching him do so pretty much finds him silly, annoying, counterproductive, etc.

And God bless them for putting so many puns into this movie the way they did.

The film has a lot of glaring flaws…because it’s a full on noir take. The characters, setting and concepts are recognizeable enough, but this is both visually and conceptually a noir (the superfluous collar is a nod to the visual image created by the collar of a trenchcoat, even the cape hangs and moves like a trenchcoat, and he’s just walking into/through crime scenes, not moving like a creature of the night).

While this movie is about him as a detective, he’s not anything close to the World’s Greatest Detective here. He may never be. He’s the World’s Greatest Gumshoe, in true noir fashion. He has a rudimentarty knowledge of crime scenes, forensics, etc. This is a very human, fallible Batman. He’s solving crimes through trial and error, which is how real detective work...works.

In the end, in true noir fashion, he’s more than a step behind the bad guys due to his blind spots (blind as a…), and he almost bumbles his way into saving the day, like a classic gumshoe does. The mystery he DOES solve is the impetus behind his own motivations, ambitiously and emotionally. I love that there are dual mysteries running through the movie. One for Bruce and one for Batman, and that they dovetail. That's one of the unique structural things about this movie.

I’ve seen some complaints about story VS character,a relative lack of character development or exploration. And that’s true. But a lot of the issues people have are because Reeves did in fact go almost full noir. Going back to the same settings three, four times before it matters? Noir. Femme fatale introducing story elements? Noir. Cop friend greasing the wheels for the detective? Noir.

And as a noir, as is tradition, because of the focus on story and already formed characters, the exploration of character concepts remains a little surface. Which holds the film back when it tries to explore some of its more ambitious ideas. For instance, Catwoman isn’t given a lot of depth, but she’s so well situated as both the femme fatale/damsel iconography within the noir genre that it’s hard to say they still didn’t nail it with the character,both in the noir sense, and as an adaption of Selina Kyle. Especially the story points, going from trying to find her loved one to us slowly discovering secrets about her life to true CATharsis related to both.

In general, the movie feels like “A week in the life of Batman”, which is exactly what the detective's story should be in a noir take. It’s an important week, to be sure, and a formative one, but still just a week in the life of Batman.

I thought Pattinson was good…for this very specific version of the character. Visually, he’s well cast. His Batvoice was just okay, although it was consistent, which was nice. I saw a review that said he seemed almost ambivalent about his fate as Batman. He doesn’t seem exactly menacing in this movie, which is borne out when people make fun of and try to sidetrack him (another noir trope). I would say he seems more in a meditative state as the character. Being Batman is, rather paradoxically, the only time he seems to find peace and purpose. When he’s not Batman, he’s pretty much strung out and miserable and chasing the high. It’s portrayed an obsession bordering on an addiction, and he pushes it further and further.

This movie is about Bruce rediscovering his humanity, which was always there below his mask. It's there from the beginning. He’s presenting as this uber violent vengeance driven character, but that’s not actually what he is. There are clues to this throughout the film, from his first fight to his compassionate outreach. despite how much he broods or how obsessed and violent he seems. And that’s what he slowly realizes, scene by scene, and then we see the compassion go into overdrive, and it’s brief and not all that brilliant, but still very satisfying. It’s like he realizes how simple what he needs to do is, and he just starts doing it.

The wry humor is great. “Thumb…drive.” The noir/crime lingo usually lands on at least one level.

I got a chuckle that even this is grounded, he still has the ridiculous rapidly winching grapple gun that can nab the feet of falling people. Liked some of the other gadgets, the computer tech, the lenses, the wingsuit, the rappelling line. He treats them as tools of the trade, their origins aren’t dwelled on. I would have loved to have seen them homage the ”swinging on a rope” thing at some point, but what’s in the movie works very well as is.

Ironically, the noir approach, and the subversion of cliches, is what keeps this one in the very good category vs being a truly great film and adaption of the character. We’ve seen a lot of this before, including elements of the suit. As such, It’s…comfortable. A bit like coming home. But despite being comfortable, it also gives us things we haven’t seen on film (A truly compassionate Batman who won’t kill and doesn’t generally use violence when he doesn’t have to).

Some of the moments in the film seem to function as outright homages to other Batman films, including the Schumacher ones. And quite a few of the themes, the concepts have been done…just not quite like this.

Some of the cinematic homages are obvious; Chinatown, The French Connection(flying Batmobile), Klute, Se7en. But as a whole, it’s very close to being a masterpiece on its own merits. Reeves never dwells on those influences, nor is this movie a hodpodge of them; he makes this his own. And he directed the heck out of this. There is some really good visual storytelling. What character’s don’t say informs the moments unfolding. The flood is the compassionate imagery compared to the violence of fire. In the graveyard, Batman is choosing life VS dwelling on the past. Stuff like that will give this film lasting value beyond entertainment.

Storywise, This is a good crime/mystery film in the same way that The Dark Knight was kind of a silly, heightened one. But in a way, this franchise and Nolan’s, as more grounded pieces of the mythology, actually complement each other very well. This film probably wouldn’t work as well if previous Batman comics, series and films didn’t exist, hadn’t set certain foundations. We take his origin story, his armor, his gadgets, the car, his allies, the villains, the locales, as a matter of course. Because they are familiar. So the film doesn’t really get points for including some of them, and skipping thematic development in certain areas. But the noir take is compelling. It has a noirish deft touch when it comes to character development. You have to connect the dots about why Bruce does what he does, how he feels about his family’s legacy, and why he went in this direction instead of doing what his parents did and what other elements of Gotham seem to want him to do.

The cast is excellent. No one is truly brilliant, but as an ensemble, they complement each other really well.

THE BATMAN will hold up and have rewatchability, even just visually. The cinematography is absolutely incredible. The use of light, shadow, different tones, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a character slightly turning or tilting their head look so damn striking.

Giacchino’s score is lush and romantic and classic, with a few modern twists and nods to other composers' work on the character.

This one will grow on me. Definitely hungry for more. You can see where this is going, with vacant Commissioner and DA jobs, a new Mayor, Joker/Riddler, Zero Year/No Man’s Land elements. A Penguin/mob spinoff. Arkham spinoff. A possible Catwoman spinoff. Good times ahead.

And for the actual sequel, given the characters introduced…could be any one of them featured. But which one?

Which...ones?

The four of them…their forces combined…

When all is said and done, this may end up being the definitive modern portrayal of Batman. Ranking the versions and films right now seems kind of pointless, though, as there's too much to chew on about this one. We have several really good Batman movies. Reeves said it himself. It’s about bringing something new to it. And he did. And we get more Batman THIS YEAR. It’s a great time to be a Batman fan.

Nice to hear your thoughts Guard! I completely agree with your take.

I liked it. 8.8/10

Amazing horror spin. After Burton and Nolan I didn't really ever expect we'd get an even darker Batman film. But here we are.

I think I still like Begins and The Dark Knight better. But this is probably my 3rd favorite bat flick. And Pattinson may actually be my favorite Batman. Not 100% on that, but its very likely.

My biggest gripe with the film is that at about 2.5 hours in it felt great, but everything after that seemed to drone on. The flood came out of nowhere. Felt like it had 3 unnecessary endings. Idk.

Still very excited to see more with Reeves and Pattinson. Really hoping for Freeze and Robin. And more Penguin.

Pros:
  • the atmosphere. Of all the Bat films, this one nailed the feel of Gotham. It was seedy, grimy, corrupt, and broken. The constant nighttime and rain scenes weren't lost on me and maybe they leaned on those aesthetics a bit much at times, but they definitely worked so I can't complain too much
  • The casting. Zoe is the best Catwoman we've seen on-screen so far. I swear, I thought it was like Year One Selina brought to life and I loved every moment she was on-camera. Colin Farrell; like, damn. The guy is an underappreciated actor and was great as Penguin. Paul Dano is also the best Riddler yet (though that isn't saying much as there's not much of a bar to pass). This Riddler was terrifying and felt like a real threat rather some goofball trying to be a discount Joker.
  • The action. I think Pattinson's build helped a great deal by being a smaller Bruce who had more in common with Bruce Lee rather than Charles Atlas liked Affleck. He was fast and agile in combat and it was like seeing the Arkham games brought to life. I liked seeing Catwoman get hers as well as she's always been a capable fighter and while we did get that with Anne Hathaway, I prefer Kravitz.
  • The Batsuit. This is the most functional & realistic suit we've seen onscreen so far and it looked pretty damn intimidating to boot. The squirrel-suit caught me off guard at first, but! I was very intrigued and that little detail, I think, makes it the most realistic suit to date. The cowl...I'm still 50/50 on. Looking at it head-on it looks great, but from the side, I still think the forehead is too big.
  • The rooftop scenes with Bat and Cat put a smile on my face. They felt like they could have come right out of, well, any Bat comic ever.
Cons:
  • this may be controversial but, Pattinson. I just...he was a great Batman. I loved that this film leaned more into his detective side and Pattinson nailed Batman as a dark and brooding character. But I'm not sold on his Bruce Wayne. I didn't feel like there was any distinction between Bruce and Batman as separate entities. Say what you will about Bale and Keaton, but I think they were able to keep both personalities separate in the necessary ways. Also, Pattinson's hairstyle didn't help. He looked more like a big teenager rather than a grown man.
  • The Joker cameo at the end. I'm over the Joker. Between Heath and Joaquin, we don't need another Joker-centric film. I want other villains, such as an Arkham Origins-style Bane, Man-Bat, Clayface, Madhatter....give someone else a chance to shine.
  • Suspension of disbelief moment; when Batman is with the bomb-strapped D.A. and the bomb literally blows up in his face. Bruh; come on. I don't care about silly plot armour, that's killing you on the freaking spot.
  • The length. This film needed more editing. It didn't need to be nearly three hours in length.
I give this a 9/10. Pattinson's lack of distinction between Bruce and Bats keep it from being perfect for me because the characters more one-note than he should've been, but I'm happy to say this is my second favourite Batman film after TDK (obviously; nothing will top TDK).

I really enjoyed it and it's a contender for best Batman film. I think I just have to rewatch Begins to make sure as I haven't seen that in a long time now.

It was great to see a real detective version of Batman and he's fitting to be in this sort of dark noir world. The mystery worked pretty well and I'm really glad the film had a villain that actually did seem smart, rather than just making others dumb, and mostly made plans that he could conceivably pull off in the context of the film, as the lack of that is still a nail on the chalkboard for me in TDK.

The cast did very well with Pattinson being a very good Batman, Zoe surprised me as Catwoman, and my favorite was probably Serkis as Alfred, even though he didn't have a ton to do.

Visually it's nicely shot, although there were times where it got annoying to me (especially when it unnecessarily went from dark to a bright light, blinding the audience without any real point), and I generally like the design of things like the Batsuit, the car, etc. The only thing I still really don't like is Catwoman's mask, but luckily she rarely uses it. The fight scenes are also really good and a step up from pretty much everything the character has done before.

On the negative side I do feel that the film goes a little heavy on the dark emo and toughness parts and it does veer into being silly at times, but I think that was mainly in the first act. On the same note I think the Nirvana song just missed its mark. I guess it just feels a little teenage angst, but then again that might very well be a core part of the character as I've certainly seen the same in comics. I also feel that the film is a bit too long for what it's saying and while I didn't have any issues getting through it I think there are some parts that are going to feel slower on a second watch. Oh, and I rolled my eyes at them going for Joker yet again. Please do something else than going for the safest choices in terms of characters.

Overall I really liked it and I'd give it a 4/5 (praise to those that use coarse scales), so a 8/10 here.

Watched it last night and having slept on it, I still feel high over what I experienced. It was mostly all that I was hoping for and it felt good to get that out of a CBM that looked promising and I feel really spoiled as a Batman fan. I’m glad I limited myself to just the Bat and The Cat trailer and didn’t see any other clips until the full movie itself. It’s a detective story and the mystery unfolding in the film helped the movie not feel like 3 hours. Some really genuine tense moments and it had a sense of humor that did not take away from the drama of it all. And though grounded, it was the most comic-booky Batman I’ve seen imo. You can’t say Matt Reeves didn’t do his homework and he read more stories beyond TDKR and Long Halloween. It made me realize despite all the live action Batmen and Batman stories we’ve had, most of which I liked, there’s still so much more of Batman we haven’t gotten on screen yet.

I was actually surprised when it ended because I wanted more lol. Loved Bruce narrating throughout the movie. It felt like I was reading Year One when he was walking the streets of Gotham and talking about how rundown Gotham was and referring to himself not being in the shadows, but actually being the shadows. Battinson really did kill it. He was full time Batman in this and I can’t wait to see how his Bruce Wayne develops. I was geeking out every time he reached for his belt to use his gadgets, and wanted to give him a hug so bad during the hospital scene with Alfred. Loved Zoe as Catwoman and Penguin too. I wanted to see more of them but understand the story didn’t call for that lol. Riddler was also good, and his story is one I felt sympathetic for. My one gripe about the movie is that the interaction between Bats and Riddler felt rushed and I wish we had gotten more of them from that interrogation scene. Their story together ended so suddenly. I think if my only complaints about the movie is I didn’t get more of it, it’s a good sign. I give it a 8.5/10 and can’t wait to watch it again next weekend. My rating may easily jump after I watch it a second time lol.

I just don't get the hype around Batfleck. His acting is so wooden and phoned in IMO. Rewatched The Dark Knight and just watched The Batman... Bale and Pattinson act circles around Ben.

IMO, Affleck brought the perfect balance of Batman and Bruce Wayne. His Batman was like a comic brought to screen. Dark and brutal. Also Affleck was a beast. Pattinson looked pretty lean compared to his predecessors and Affleck just looked intimidating as bad place (I especially loved the montage of him getting ready to fight Superman in BvS). Say what you will about the movies, but Affleck’s Batman was definitely not the problem.

I liked it. 8.8/10

Amazing horror spin. After Burton and Nolan I didn't really ever expect we'd get an even darker Batman film. But here we are.

I think I still like Begins and The Dark Knight better. But this is probably my 3rd favorite bat flick. And Pattinson may actually be my favorite Batman. Not 100% on that, but its very likely.

My biggest gripe with the film is that at about 2.5 hours in it felt great, but everything after that seemed to drone on. The flood came out of nowhere. Felt like it had 3 unnecessary endings. Idk.

Still very excited to see more with Reeves and Pattinson. Really hoping for Freeze and Robin. And more Penguin.
Yes please. I really really hope we see Freeze in this trilogy. It's long over due! Same for Robin.

I'm trying to think of one thing I had a slight nitpick over, but there really isn't much. I think maybe it's that Bruce Wayne and Batman kinda felt like one, but even that is minor. I'm sure this Bruce will grow into something like that over the course of the trilogy. Really great film overall, and in my top 3 Batman movies ever behind TDK and Begins. It's truly an amazing time to be a Batman fan again. Amazing directors and actors continuing to bring this character to life in new and fresh ways. We have now officially entered the Reeves era and I am one happy Batman fan.

Last edited:

Aesthetically, he's the most comic-accurate Batman we've seen so far. I agree that his take on the character wasn't the greatest but I also believe that's due to the material he had to work with. Blame Snyder for that.

This is definitely neck and neck with Batman Begins for me, but definitely better than TDK. TDK is just an ok Batman movie. Sure, Heath have one bad place of a performance, but there was quite a few things that I just didn’t like. Batman just did not feel like Batman at all. I hated the very drastic change of the suit. He was a simp that focused way too much on being with a woman that had no interest in him. Gotham felt more like Metropolis. Catwoman and Penguin could have easily been introduced, but it failed to build that universe. Batman spent the entire film wanting to abandon his mission and let Harvey be the hero, then kills him in the end and runs away. Two-Face didn’t even have a chance to evolve. That’s just a few things and TDK is just a solid B- for me.

This film however truly gets it. You could seriously feel the fear in the criminals when Batman stepped out of the shadows like a damn vampire. I loved how the film shows that Bruce is still so scarred by his parent’s murder. The world building is so satisfying. It feels less like “villain of the week” and more like there are stories of many known characters building around the current events. The Batman is my dream Batman movie. The horror, mystery, action, depth and storytelling was so on point. Also with The Riddler being the main character and done absolute justice. A+.

This is definitely neck and neck with Batman Begins for me, but definitely better than TDK. TDK is just an ok Batman movie. Sure, Heath have one bad place of a performance, but there was quite a few things that I just didn’t like. Batman just did not feel like Batman at all. I hated the very drastic change of the suit. He was a simp that focused way too much on being with a woman that had no interest in him. Gotham felt more like Metropolis. Catwoman and Penguin could have easily been introduced, but it failed to build that universe. Batman spent the entire film wanting to abandon his mission and let Harvey be the hero, then kills him in the end and runs away. Two-Face didn’t even have a chance to evolve. That’s just a few things and TDK is just a solid B- for me.

This film however truly gets it. You could seriously feel the fear in the criminals when Batman stepped out of the shadows like a damn vampire. I loved how the film shows that Bruce is still so scarred by his parent’s murder. The world building is so satisfying. It feels less like “villain of the week” and more like there are stories of many known characters building around the current events. The Batman is my dream Batman movie. The horror, mystery, action, depth and storytelling was so on point. Also with The Riddler being the main character and done absolute justice. A+.

What an amazing review. 70% of it is an assassination on TDK. Fantastic.

What an amazing review. 70% of it is an assassination on TDK. Fantastic.

No, it’s not an assassination of TDK. That’s just your perspective. I mentioned what I didn’t like about TDK and where The Batman succeeded in those areas for me to explain why I loved it. TDK is a really good movie. I said that. It’s just not as great as many people make it out to be.

No, it’s not an assassination of TDK. That’s just your perspective. I mentioned what I didn’t like about TDK and where The Batman succeeded in those areas for me to explain why I loved it. TDK is a really good movie. I said that. It’s just not as great as many people make it out to be.

So what you're saying is instead of just talking about what you loved about the movie itself like just about everyone else here, you listed everything you disliked about TDK (which took up the majority of your review) because that was the only way you could verbalize what you liked about this movie.

Btw saying TDK is not as great as everyone says it is, to use your own words; that's just your perspective.

Last edited:
Yes please. I really really hope we see Freeze in this trilogy. It's long over due! Same for Robin.

I'm trying to think of one thing I had a slight nitpick over, but there really isn't much. I think maybe it's that Bruce Wayne and Batman kinda felt like one, but even that is minor. I'm sure this Bruce will grow into something like that over the course of the trilogy. Really great film overall, and in my top 3 Batman movies ever behind TDK and Begins. It's truly an amazing time to be a Batman fan again. Amazing directors and actors continuing to bring this character to life in new and fresh ways. We have now officially entered the Reeves era and I am one happy Batman fan.

I’m going to predict Penguin and Riddler and Hush with some cameos thrown in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"