BvS The Batsuit Thread - - - - - Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the Batfleck suit! While I was hoping for a more Batman Inc. type suit, I'm okay with what we got. I definitely see elements of Frank Miller's Batman, Jim Lee's Batman, and New-52 Batman in the suit.

I see more Affleck bashing than suit complaining outside of this forum. The internet forgets his recent film work of The Town and Argo, and focus on DD that is like 12 years old or something. :rolleyes:

It's more fair to look at DD than The Town or Argo since he wasn't playing a superhero in them.

Does anyone really think the Nolan films would have suffered significantly singly on the basis of Bale having worn something resembling the BvS batsuit? I never believed it was impossible to explain the "traditional" look even in the Nolanverse... or even that it was that hard of thing to do or needed any more reasoning than was given the nomex suit. Hell, not painting the nomex suit black would have saved you half the trouble - just slap a bat on the chest and off you go. I said at the time, and maintain to this day, that had Nolan showed us this batsuit, none but a few would have been clamoring for another black rubber suit and that the film series would have been no less successful.

I think that if Nolan had thrown in a more traditional suit, he probably would have had some in universe dialogue about trying to project a more animalistic look to observers. And I still think they could do that here.

But when I look at this suit, what strikes me is how much more organic it looks compared to the classic muscle suits of yesteryear. Superman's suit convinced me they'd learned how to make the shoulder and upper chest area both flexible and yet incredibly muscle-bound without seeming quite so blatantly fake. Keaton, Kilmer and Clooney had good suits, but they felt like just bare bones sculpting. I don't know if a costume of this quality would be practical ten years ago.

Though now that we're talking about this, I'm picturing some of Batman's more...amorous foes commenting on it for some comedy.

I like this post, and you made some good points..
Though, ASM2 had a muscle suit.. And that you didn't notice it? It supports your own theory..
Interesting. Do you have a source? it's not that I don't believe you, I'm just interested in whatever information about it is available because they obviously did an incredibly subtle job if it's there.

The only reason it's subtle is because Spider-Man is not really supposed to be a muscular superhero, he emphasizes flexibility and movement.

I see more Affleck bashing than suit complaining outside of this forum. The internet forgets his recent film work of The Town and Argo, and focus on DD that is like 12 years old or something. :rolleyes:

Which is hilarious considering that they hold that over his head (when Mark Steven Johnson is to blame) than Gigli (which was more Martin Brest's fault for ever writing the screenplay in the first place).

Would your rather something like this? I'm not too crazy about the obvious fake musculature, but not sure about this either.
10374064_10151795408214364_568245195962395336_nn.jpg

Perfect! :up: Looks great. The musculature is just subtle enough so that it's not cheesy, but you can still see that he's strong underneath.

The flatter stomach also makes him look much more sleek, whereas I thought he appeared sort of bloated before.

Well done. :woot:

The only reason it's subtle is because Spider-Man is not really supposed to be a muscular superhero, he emphasizes flexibility and movement.
Maguire absolutely wore a muscle suit, but Garfield? I see no evidence of that... spanx or a compression layer maybe, but nothing remotely approaching the muscle suit in the same sense as Maguire, Cavill, etc.

Last edited:
I'm still completely enamored with this suit.
I have it set as my wallpaper and I seriously can't turn on my computer without staring at it for a bit.:funny:

Last edited:
I'm still completely enamored with this suit.
I have it set as the wallpaper and I seriously can't turn on my computer without staring at it for a bit.:funny:

Heh, same here. It's weird when we actually get pretty much exactly what we were asking for.

Interesting. Do you have a source? it's not that I don't believe you, I'm just interested in whatever information about it is available because they obviously did an incredibly subtle job if it's there.

Yeah I'm not so sure about that. I actually remember posting how the suit actually looked like it could use some muscle sculpting, unless andrew's a good deal skinnier then we think I'm not sure if I see it?

juu5go.jpg

I know I'm gonna get some guff for asking this, but that's OK ... can someone please do a manip of the Batfleck suit with trunks? I like the suit as is, I'm just curious what it would look like.

tumblr_lz4tjd10E31rogl95o1_500.gif

In terms of the muscle suit, I think it looks perfect as is and I don't agree that it looks over-the-top and ridiculous. I also imagine it will look better and more natural in motion and from different angles.

This Bruce/Batman will be one diesel mother****er, as he should be.

Affleck's at the bottom of the list of things wrong with DD anyway. He didn't write or direct the damn thing.

This.

He really only even did Daredevil because he was a big fan of the character. Plus, (if Kevin Smith is to be believed) Affleck did it because he thought he'd never get to play Batman ala TDKR.

Love the suit. It's awesome they made the belt black. I've pointed it out in the past with the new 52 look, but a black belt is a better substitute for the missing trunks, while keeping the color scheme simple with the non oval emblem. This costume is definitely a Miller/Capullo hybrid, which is great.

Last edited:
Would your rather something like this? I'm not too crazy about the obvious fake musculature, but not sure about this either.

That's more up my alley.

Still, hard to argue with the first Batman costume in over a decare to actually look like Batman.

That's more up my alley.

Still, hard to argue with the first Batman costume in over a decare to actually look like Batman.

Yeah, just playing around to see what it'd look like with a little less definition. I like it better, but understand some people think the more defined look might be more aesthetically intimidating.

Does anyone really think the Nolan films would have suffered significantly singly on the basis of Bale having worn something resembling the BvS batsuit? I never believed it was impossible to explain the "traditional" look even in the Nolanverse... or even that it was that hard of thing to do or needed any more reasoning than was given the nomex suit. Hell, not painting the nomex suit black would have saved you half the trouble - just slap a bat on the chest and off you go. I said at the time, and maintain to this day, that had Nolan showed us this batsuit, none but a few would have been clamoring for another black rubber suit and that the film series would have been no less successful.

Something like the unpainted Begins suit (with slightly different sculpting) could easily be what's under Affleck's suit, and conversely I always thought and said that the Begins suit (again with slightly different sculpting) could have had fabric over it instead of paint.

Absolutely no-one would have batted (haha) an eyelid if that had been done.

And if Nolan HAD to explain it, he could have just had Bruce say he didn't want it to obviously be armour. Basically fabric would have served the exact function as the paint, except been way way more logical as it would have bees easily repairable and replaceable.

I don't know if a costume of this quality would be practical ten years ago.

No, it would have been EASILY doable a decade ago. They may not look exactly the same, but the MOS and Battfleck suits are constructed fundamentally the exact same way as the Spider-Man suit, and that movie came out before BB.

However, the 3D printed texture on the new suit... no, probably not doable then.

I've seen a few, but with the angle of the pic, it's really hard to see it anyways.

Yeah, I don't think that's the right pic to do that particular manip. Have to wwait for some more pics (hopefully soon)

Love the suit. It's awesome they made the belt black. I've pointed it out in the past with the new 52 look, but a black belt is a better substitute for the missing trunks, while keeping the color scheme simple with the non oval emblem. This costume is definitely a Miller/Capullo hybrid, which is great.

Being a B+W pic, it's not 100% certain that it is black. It still looks like it could be a dark gold or bronze color, (with maybe some black trim) which would give the idea of a yellowish color without being too bright. I have no problem with it if it is black, though.

^ The abs always looked silly to me in the comics too, so that doesn't really justify it here. For Superman and Spider-Man, you don't really think much of it because they're huge exaggerations of characters and they're so powerful they don't need to protect themselves. (Although, both of them were handled with a lot of tact in their most recent movies, I thought. The musculature isn't overdone.)

With Batman though? It's typically more down to Earth. They want you to feel like he's just a man who needs a suit that protects him. But even though there's a mesh underneath his clothes in the comics, he still just looks like he's a naked bodybuilder covered in grey spraypaint, and it's ridiculous.

Some artists take it easy on the definition and try for a more subtle approach, while other artists are just abstract enough that you can shrug the rippling abs off as an artsy expression of strength that isn't meant to be taken super literally or be seen as realistic (no fabric hugs THAT much).

When you adapt Batman into a live action movie, it's got to feel believable in a real life situation. I know he's still armored as a geeky fan, but it's not illustrated well visually, and the bulging muscles still come off as over the top and cheesy. His anatomy is pushing through the costume so much that it really is amazing that we don't have Bat-Nipples again.
It is what it is, that is how nearly all superheroes are portrayed, not just Batman but all superheroes in DC and Marvel and other publishing houses. It is a power fantasy, superheroes are ideal versions of our selves, what human beings can aspire to not just in strength or speed but even in physical appearance. It is all about portraying the ideal, something more than human, something super.

Male superheroes are the ideal males basically, each having the physique of competition bodybuilder at their absolute peak, their costumes more than covering their physiques are infact designed to highlight and emphasis them even further to create visual awe, it is a visual representation of power and strength and virility.

Of course it is entirely impossible that theirs costumes exactly contour to their anatomy but then you think that these are universes in which men and fly and do all manner of impossible things, their costumes exactly contouring to their physiques is the least impossible thing. It is of course entirely unrealistic and a fantasy and make believe.

And some directors embrace this fantasy element more than others. Nolan did not embrace this at all, Marvel movies are indifferent to it, but Snyder embraces this and wants to bring those idealized images to life, as he did in 300 and Superman and now with Batman. When asked what he was trying to achieve with the suit during the Kevin Smith hosted live event, this is how Snyder replied

Zack Snyder: I was really into (and Henry was able to do it) the physicality of Superman. I think in the past (on screen) he hasn't really been iconographically physical as well like in the comic books he is.
Kevin Smith: In the movies and on TV he's generally a thin guy.
Zack Snyder: Yeah, yeah!
Kevinn Smith: He doesn't have the muscles.
Zack Snyder: I just felt like it would be really cool to be able to see that and have it feel like the suit was an extension of his body. And that really was the biggest challenge for me, to make that (happen).

So Snyder is trying to bring the comic book images he saw in his adolescent years to life in his movies. Ask yourself, what is more impossible - a guy flying or a guy showing his abs through his suit.

Maguire absolutely wore a muscle suit, but Garfield? I see no evidence of that... spanx or a compression layer maybe, but nothing remotely approaching the muscle suit in the same sense as Maguire, Cavill, etc.

I do not have a pic of the under suit for "TAS2", but this is a pic of the muscles that Garfield wore the first time around. I was told that the second time around was similar, but more was added to the upper back.. the rest was streamlined. The biceps and triceps were minimized.. And actually removed for certain scenes (biceps and triceps that is) for the new film. Not to go off topic, but you did inquire..

ace508e138fd9f4762a9fc78d8ec45ad_zpsdf98e3b8.jpg

I love this. I think it could be even a bit more streamlined, but this to me has the look of fabric over body armor. It looks thick and protective. I hate the look of the fake muscles that they're going with. Every time I see it, I think of Hans and Franz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"