The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by Thread Manager, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harrier

Harrier Well-Known Member

The gauntlets are fine with me, although in live action you would need to tone them down a bit. The only thing I don't like as much is the boots.

Other than that, what they've done in the Arkham games is the most believable Batman suit I've seen.

Watch some videos online of the BTAS in the game, or even the 70's one and see how silly they look.

For that matter the Batman Beyond Suit in the game also looks weird, although I've always disliked that one to begin with.

2. FeedOnATreeFrog

FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

These aren't the only options.

3. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

Yes. Why do people assume we need to lift something from a videogame, rather than start from scratch and use the comicbook original as a starting point for a new design?

4. Harrier

Harrier Well-Known Member

I'm saying if you started from scratch, coming up with something like the Arkham games would be good.

5. TheFlamingCoco

TheFlamingCoco Well-Known Member

The Batsuit should be like this, only with a thicker, more durable material/kevlar influence .
    [​IMG]

PS. I don't mind ditching the briefs.

6. TheFlamingCoco

Or cuz it's the closest to the comics we have in a more 'live action' look?

It's a nice compromise, rubber and thick, but with the color and personality of the comic look.

7. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

It is no more "live action" than the comics themselves- the materials are all just the work of an artist, and the proportions are less realistic than those commonly seen in comics.

Rubber is a ridiculously unrealistic, impractical, ugly and immoveable material to use. The game might get away with it by being able to "cheat" with animation, but for an actor wearing a costume, it is a big mistake.

8. TheFlamingCoco

^ Yes. That's why I prefer cloth, but with Arkham EARS. Adding some texture to this design would make it perfect, IMO. [​IMG]

9. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member

I don't mean to put you on the spot but this is like the third time I asked you this question: What is so hideous or bulky looking about the Arkham suit other than the gauntlets and boots? I admit those are way too bulky but take those away and the suit is pretty much the fabric suit of the comics.

10. Shikamaru

Batman's outfit should look just as inhuman as Superman's Kryptonian outfit since his whole purpose was to not look human and give off the impression that he is a giant bat-monster/demon. As for showing how the difference in their psychologies, that's another reason why I don't think the trunks will work. Superman is more human at heart than Batman is (at least in modern times) and if they go that direction in the movies too, the trunks wouldn't fit too well with that IMO.

11. godisawesome

godisawesome Well-Known Member

Well, the did design Batman's physique as being hugely out of proportion, but that's all I can see for it. It's actually one of the sleeker armored designs I've seen, and clearly it looks cooler than the TA Captain America suit some people want to adapt.

12. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

Sorry not to have replied more fully before. The cranium is disproportionately undersized which, coupled with the antennae ears come from the top of the head rather than the sides, makes Batman look like a tic. The neck is comically thick, mlike a silver back's. The belt buckle is larger than the pouches, which is silly. The proportions overall are terrible, and although not strictly part of the suit, they do make it look even worse. Add in the absurd boots and gauntlets, and you have a lot of fail.

As I have said many times, if you take away everything terrible about the AA suit, you are just left with a vanilla comic book costume. Which would be fine.

13. A&W

A&W Well-Known Member

your age is irrelevant. Bring on the trunks!

14. Shikamaru

Other than the gauntlets and boots (which I already addressed), the majority of your complaints are about Batman's physique as opposed to the suit itself. The complaints that do apply to the suit itself (i.e. belt buckle) are for the most part really minor and could easily be altered (again, I already addressed the gauntlets and boots).

15. A&W

A&W Well-Known Member

People say bats needs armour because he is human. Tony stark needs armour. Batman is way out of iron man's leage. Batman doesn't need thrusters or rocket launchers or a mechanical suit. That is not what the character is about.

16. A&W

A&W Well-Known Member

that is perfect!

17. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

Right. So, if we gave him different boots, gauntlets, ears, neck, belt, and different proportions so that what's left didn't look as awful, all would be well.

But then we just have the comic book original, don't we? Take away all the ugly features listed above, and you just have the comicbook suit, with a couple of rivets.

18. Shikamaru

In my opinion, just putting another person in the suit (one with normal body proportions) plus getting rid of the boots and gauntlets would be enough. I would also fix the belt buckle, now that you pointed it out :oldrazz:.

19. Bathead

Bathead The Oldest Geek

LOL, I call that the "Bugs Bunny Syndrome", where Bugs will reach around to his back and pull out something like a six-foot long sledge hammer seemingly out of nowhere.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  20. Bathead

Bathead The Oldest Geek

Well I just simply disagree with all of that, but at least you've put some thought into it, other than the usual simplistic and childish "The Underoos look stoopid" that seems to be a common sentiment here.

21. Shikamaru

Fair enough.

22. dnno1

dnno1 Well-Known Member

He should have light armor that can withstand bullets and knife puncture. His cowl should be as durable as a motorcycle helmet.

23. TheFlamingCoco

Yeah. Though he SHOULD have a robot suit for fighting Superman. When he isn't he should have his regular outfit.

24. D.P.

D.P. Well-Known Member

I think that might border on corny if he has a full robotic suit. General audience will view it as an Iron Man rip off.

I would have him wear armor additions on top of his existing lightweight fabric suit like the picture I have already posted here:

[​IMG]
    That's where the bulky boots and guantlets that regwec hates so much can come into play and make a bit more sense.

I think you aversion to the Arkham suit has less to do with the actual design but with the art direction as a whole.

The big, bulky, meat-head looking character models can be seen all throughout the game. All of Joker's goons are 6'5" and 300 lbs. I'm not a fan of it either.

I'm looking past that at this juncture though.

I don't think anything needs to be lifted from a video game literally piece by piece. I think it's a good 3D representation of what the grey cloth/armor suit can look like, therefore making it a good reference point when trying to create a live action version.

This is as close to seeing the grey suit brought to life we have gotten thus far, so I'd rather appreciate it the good aspects of it for what they are. Obviously things can/should be changed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, it's essentially the comic suit in some ways, but looking at something on the page in 2D can only go so far.

25. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

And removing the outer-undies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.