BvS The Batsuit Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
It works for the MOS suit, just like it does for the all black bat suits, cause its a dark suit. It does work for those, but if they're going to be using a lighter grey, I think it does need something to break it up, unless they go for a dark grey that's almost black.

Despite, being a darker shade of blue than we've seen on Superman previously, the MOS suit was not nearly as dark as any of the previous black Batsuits on film.

7554847556_a75e1e4b39_b.jpg

-

In terms of a grey batsuit, there's no reason to believe it will be such a light grey that it will even need to be "broken up". I do imagine it will be a slightly darker shade of grey, but still not almost black. Take a look at the difference between steel grey and just...grey.

color-steel-grey.jpg

grey.jpg

-

An important thing to remember is that with a grey suit, Batman's black cape/cowl/gloves/boots/belt will serve as contrast points to break up the grey body suit, much like Superman's red cape and boots served to contrast the dark blue suit. It's not as if black trunks are the only thing that can break up the grey on Batman.

Why why why does Batman have to be the hero that's probable? Again Black Widow and Hawkeye fought and alien invasion with no body armor...Hawkeye had bare arms.

'Cuz comics are serious business, yo.

Isn't the belt enough to break up the grey?

IMO, nope. Having just the belt actually accentuates the lack of trunks and makes the suit look (to me) like one-piece PJ's, Besides that, and I'm being honest here, after about 50 years of being a Batman fan, I'm simply used to them, and not seeing them on the Batsuit just looks odd to me.

Last edited:
I personally love the trunks. Batman in the gray suit with the trunks is classic Batman to me, the one in most of my favourite comics stories. But I'm pragmatic enough to accept that its unlikely they'll be part of the new movie costume. Superman historically is MUCH more iconically identified as "the guy who has his underpants on the outside" than Batman, yet they dropped HIS trunks for Man of Steel. No way Batman keeps his. And I'm okay with that. Because while I do absolutely believe the Batsuit can look cool WITH trunks, the awesome way Greg Capullo draws the New 52 Batsuit - fast becoming one of my favourite renditions of Batman ever - has convinced me that a comic-style Batsuit can look cool WITHOUT trunks too.

Yeah, if they won't let Superman keep his trunks, I don't see why they would have Batman do it. And he's cooler than Superman.

I honestly don't see how the trunks are any sillier than the ears or the cape and not nearly as impractical as leaving half your face exposed.

I hope they reveal Batman's look soonish as I feel like it's just the same conversation here again and again. lol

I hope they reveal Batman's look soonish as I feel like it's just the same conversation here again and again. lol

what are you talking about? we never have talked about the trunks or the fact that bulletproof fabrics exist thus making the bulky armor plates impractical ever before, no way this is just one huge cycle of costume conversations here, nope, never.

In all seriousness though, would be nice to get some news on something related to the movie, just so at least one thread full of a cycling set of movie debates can get a break.

The higher ups have spoken. Trunks are uncool with the Facebook generation. :o

Despite, being a darker shade of blue than we've seen on Superman previously, the MOS suit was not nearly as dark as any of the previous black Batsuits on film.
I didn't say the MOS suit was as dark as the black Bat suits, I just said it was a dark blue, which it is. Even those shades of grey you posted would look strange without trunks. They're not dark enough, IMO.

Even Night Owl's suit would've looked odd without the break up in the trunks with his greyish/brown color.

ba54rTN.jpg

You don't need trunks IMO. A black belt instead of a yellow one would achieve the same effect trunks do but in live-action.

Yeah, if they won't let Superman keep his trunks, I don't see why they would have Batman do it. And he's cooler than Superman.

Well............a stated reason for excluding trunks from Superman's suit was to emphasize his alien nature..........so then Batman's suit..........by applying the same reasoning should include them.

So he has trunks to emphasize his human nature... ok.

^ Except NO 21rst century superhero has had them (Nite Owl takes place in the 80s, and Superman was following the Donner/Lester movies in Returns).

^ Except NO 21rst century superhero has had them (Nite Owl takes place in the 80s, and Superman was following the Donner/Lester movies in Returns).

So, you're saying Batman should be just like every other 21st century super hero? He shouldn't be unique? Nope, don't buy that.

Well............a stated reason for excluding trunks from Superman's suit was to emphasize his alien nature..........so then Batman's suit..........by applying the same reasoning should include them.

Or his trunks could emphasize his alien nature... since people don't normally dress like that anyway. That's if people truly are hung up on a reason for why he dresses the way he does...

I just see no proper reasoning to have the trunks, except because that's how it's been in the comics. And even the comics got rid of them. And we had several designs that worked well without them. Yes, even the grey costumes.

kIoctwA.jpg

I recall an interview with either Snyder or the costume designer for MOS and they said they tried to make the trunks work on the MOS suit

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/superman-loses-red-underpants-article-1.1366032

“There’s a little embroidery there that is a tip of the hat to the trunks,” says producer Chuck Roven. He added that the director and the costume designers came up with many different designs that preserved the trunks, but ultimately just couldn’t find a way to make them work with Snyder’s new vision of a revamped Superman.

So they tried and I imagine they may try again with the Batsuit and if it works or not remains to be seen.

Or his trunks could emphasize his alien nature... since people don't normally dress like that anyway. That's if people truly are hung up on a reason for why he dresses the way he does...

But that's not the base-line set by MOS...they excluded trunks to emphasize an alien origin for the suit.

At the end of the day for me......I don't need a rationale for trunks on Superman or Batman or.......name the hero..........if the suit's aesthetic is improved by trunks that's all the reason I need, and I feel that the look of both Superman and Batman's suit is imprved by trunks.

Not all superheroes of the same origin era sported trunks. In fact many did not, Flash(Jay Garrick) Green Lantern (Alan Scott) among them. So trunks weren't a superhero requisite of the period. I believe they were included simply because the aesthetic of the individual suit called for them.

But that's not the base-line set by MOS...they excluded trunks to emphasize an alien origin for the suit.

At the end of the day for me......I don't need a rationale for trunks on Superman or Batman or.......name the hero..........if the suit's aesthetic is improved by trunks that's all the reason I need, and I feel that the look of both Superman and Batman's suit is imprved by trunks.

Not all superheroes of the same origin era sported trunks. In fact many did not, Flash(Jay Garrick) Green Lantern (Alan Scott) among them. So trunks weren't a superhero requisite of the period. I believe they were included simply because the aesthetic of the individual suit called for them.

I don't want to repeat what's been said many times before in regards to why Superman's suit works better with trunks. But, I don't buy their alien answer about why they removed the trunks. It would've been better if they had just said they don't like them or feel they're lame and make Superman less cool or whatever. I just think it's BS.

They had their council wearing elaborate headdresses and no one cared for it. It didn't make them anymore alien or anything. Some cultures here on Earth have people wear similar things for special occasions and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"