Guardians of the Galaxy The Big Bad Star Lord Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't saying Bendis will have influence over the movie, just that maybe he will have been influenced by the movie. Remember when X-Men the movie came out, Marvel suggested to the X-Men Evolution artists that Sabertooth wear a long coat. Maybe its like that, maybe he saw the script or was told some stuff that will be used, or was suggested what to put in his comic. It would make sense to have the comic GOTG and the movie GOTG line up somewhat. Maybe, even without his knowledge, they told him what was and wasn't allowed. You know, like when they have those plot meetings and Dan Slott tells everyone that Spider-Man is [BLACKOUT]Ock[/BLACKOUT] now and that is the Spider-Man that must be in all their stories. Maybe Bendis was given some guidelines or something.

All I mean is that maybe his comic is getting influence from the movie, not the movie getting influenced by his comic.
Although I don't see that as a problem, his comic is great so far. And very cinematic.

I think most of the essential elements will come fron DnA's GOTG and Annihilation stuff. I don't know how much influence Bendis really has with the movie side of things but he's only 2 issues into his run so far on GOTG. There's a lot more to get from DnA's stuff at this point. Remember that Gunn brought them over as well for a visit. He'd be dumb not to pick their brains.
No, I mean, it will be its own thing all together. They literally can't use anything from DnA's run because of how it was set up. The Guardians came out of Annihilation Conquest...they literally can't do anything close to Annihilation Conquest to bring the Guardians together, not to mention it looks and sounds like the team teams up to do something completely different than what they did in Conquest. Then the main Guardians book was always tied up in an event, either War of Kings or Realm of Kings Other than the name and characters, a similar set up with Star-Lord being bust out of prison and Groot and Rocket on the run together, and maybe a final confrontation similar to Thanos Imperative, I don't think it's possible for them to use anything from DnA's run.

No, I mean, it will be its own thing all together. They literally can't use anything from DnA's run because of how it was set up. The Guardians came out of Annihilation Conquest...they literally can't do anything close to Annihilation Conquest to bring the Guardians together, not to mention it looks and sounds like the team teams up to do something completely different than what they did in Conquest. Then the main Guardians book was always tied up in an event, either War of Kings or Realm of Kings Other than the name and characters, a similar set up with Star-Lord being bust out of prison and Groot and Rocket on the run together, and maybe a final confrontation similar to Thanos Imperative, I don't think it's possible for them to use anything from DnA's run.

Oh yeah, the details will change but the feel really doesn't have to. The origin of the team from the Star Lord mini really doesn't have to change all that much. They're the Dirty Dozen in space.

images

I look at the new GOTG comic, just like the New 52 DC comics, as a blueprint for the movie.
Quill is blond, it starts with his origin in a very movie style. He wears no mask most of the time,
and nothing that covers his face. And in that comic his gun came from his father, it is the Starlord
Gun. Sort of the Prince of Space gun, and can only be used by him or his father (genetic code is
the key and no one else can use it). So I am guessing that is what they will go with. What makes
Quill so special? His father is the King of all Space. He is the Starlord, or Prince of Space (from
what I can tell) and his gun is special making him the only person who can use it.
Thjey even established the rocky father/son relationship. So I am guessing they will use what the
comic has just now re-established about the GOTG and him.
They even established that Quill is sort of a Han Solo/Mal type rebel who has trouble with authority
because of his abandonment issues with his father (who he hates). And that the GOTG are sort of
this band or scruffy rebels.

Peter_Quill_%28Earth-616%29_Marvel_NOW%21_Point_One_Vol_1_1.jpg

That actually sounds really cool to me. Aside from him being blonde and wearing no helmet or mask.

I wasn't saying Bendis will have influence over the movie, just that maybe he will have been influenced by the movie. Remember when X-Men the movie came out, Marvel suggested to the X-Men Evolution artists that Sabertooth wear a long coat. Maybe its like that, maybe he saw the script or was told some stuff that will be used, or was suggested what to put in his comic. It would make sense to have the comic GOTG and the movie GOTG line up somewhat. Maybe, even without his knowledge, they told him what was and wasn't allowed. You know, like when they have those plot meetings and Dan Slott tells everyone that Spider-Man is [BLACKOUT]Ock[/BLACKOUT] now and that is the Spider-Man that must be in all their stories. Maybe Bendis was given some guidelines or something.

All I mean is that maybe his comic is getting influence from the movie, not the movie getting influenced by his comic.
Although I don't see that as a problem, his comic is great so far. And very cinematic.

I wouldnt be shocked at all if marvel now was collaborating with the films as outlines basically

I wouldnt be shocked at all if marvel now was collaborating with the films as outlines basically

I'm more cynical when it comes to those things. I honestly think that Marvel Studios doesn't really care about whats going on in the comics right now.

The current Guardians book is all about protecting Earth. The movie won't be anything close to that.

I'm more cynical when it comes to those things. I honestly think that Marvel Studios doesn't really care about whats going on in the comics right now.
Yeah I don't think Feige and co. pay much attention to what the comic side of things is doing to help promote the movies.

The current Guardians book is all about protecting Earth. The movie won't be anything close to that.

Yeah I don't think Feige and co. pay much attention to what the comic side of things is doing to help promote the movies.

Yeah, it's not like Hickman is trying to capture the magic of the Avengers movie in his two Avengers books and Uncanny Avengers with Remender as well.

It's the other way around, the comic writers are the ones who care about what's happening in the films.

No, but the comic Avengers Assemble was, and the cartoon Avengers Assemble will be.
Its like what James Robinson said. You don't make a movie about a comic and base that movie on
a three year old story/team roster that isn't in the comics now.
Thats why Marvel did the Back in Black storyline with Spider-Man when Spider-Man 3 came out, or
why Doc Ock was the main villain (now wearing a trench coat) in the comics when Spider-Man 2
came out, or why Norman Osborn was all over the Spider-Man comics when Spider-Man 1 came
out.
Or how the Lizard was the bad guy in the comics when the new Spider-Man film came out.
Marvel also introduced Agent Coulsen, and a Nick Fury Jr. who looks like Ultimate Nick Fury, who
was based on Sam Jackson.
Hawkeye's costume was changed to look like the movie version.
Captain America's new costume looks more like the movie.
And now they are doing this Avengers story in the comics where Black Widow, Hawkeye, Nick
Fury Jr. Agent Coulsen, Maria Hill, etc, go on a mission mentioned in the Avengers film.
Oh. and for a while the X-Men changed their costumes to black leather like the movie.

And the Avengers comics are looking very cosmic, and that cosmic/Thanos stuff was introduced in
the Avengers movie. Perhaps (although I'd rather they didn't) they are taking the Avengers films into
space.

I am not saying its a bad idea, I am just saying the comic really looks like its introducing the GOTG
in a very movie styled way.

Last edited:
It's the other way around, the comic writers are the ones who care about what's happening in the films.

Not from what I'm reading or heard. Other than Bendis and Loeb, it seems like most of the writers are doing their own thing and not worrying about the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

No, but the comic Avengers Assemble was, and the cartoon Avengers Assemble will be.
Its like what James Robinson said. You don't make a movie about a comic and base that movie on
a three year old story/team roster that isn't in the comics now.
Thats why Marvel did the Back in Black storyline with Spider-Man when Spider-Man 3 came out, or
why Doc Ock was the main villain (now wearing a trench coat) in the comics when Spider-Man 2
came out, or why Norman Osborn was all over the Spider-Man comics when Spider-Man 1 came
out.
Or how the Lizard was the bad guy in the comics when the new Spider-Man film came out.
Marvel also introduced Agent Coulsen, and a Nick Fury Jr. who looks like Ultimate Nick Fury, who
was based on Sam Jackson.
Hawkeye's costume was changed to look like the movie version.
Captain America's new costume looks more like the movie.
And now they are doing this Avengers story in the comics where Black Widow, Hawkeye, Nick
Fury Jr. Agent Coulsen, Maria Hill, etc, go on a mission mentioned in the Avengers film.

And the Avengers comics are looking very cosmic, and that cosmic/Thanos stuff was introduced in
the Avengers movie. Perhaps (although I'd rather they didn't) they are taking the Avengers films into
space.

I am not saying its a bad idea, I am just saying the comic really looks like its introducing the GOTG
in a very movie styled way.

But most of those things are cosmetic changes at best. Costume changes and what not. Also, Secret Avengers really is nothing like the movie other than referencing Budapest that first issue.

And the fact that it has Hawkeye and Black Widow, a Nick Fury that looks like Sam
Jackson's Fury, an Agent Coulsen, Maria Hill, and Hawkeye's costume looks like his
movie costume. And it also seems War Machine's costume has become Red/White/Blue
Secret_Avengers_Vol_2_1_Yu_Variant_Textless.jpg
The movies use the comics for reference and are based on them, then the comics
change to promote the movies. They try to work together to advertise each. The comic
companies care because they hope that the movies will promote their comics, and the
movies care because they hope the comics will promote their movies.
The more people who go to the theater to see the movie raises the chances of more
people who might buy the comic. And the more people who know about the comic,
and the more clout the comic has raises the chances of the movie being a bigger
success. So they hope the two go hand in hand.

I don't see it as a bad thing, as long as the changes are shallow like you say.
Costumes and what not.

That actually sounds really cool to me. Aside from him being blonde and wearing no helmet or mask.

Definitely has to have the mask. Doesn't have to wear it all the time. But it has to be in the movie.

Apparently, James Gunn posted this on his Facebook page re: Chris Pratt

“Chris Pratt auditioned against A-list big-time movie stars for the most desired role around and Marvel was ballsy enough to back me when I wanted to hire him. I’ll love them forever for going with me on that. No other studio in the world would have ever taken that risk. Nor would any other studio in the world ever have hired me (or Joss Whedon, etc) to do this type of film. Same with the others. Anyone who has followed me for a while knows I either speak my mind or shut the [frick] up. I never say I love something if I don’t. And, to be completely frank, I’ve been way more pressured to cast “names” on nearly every independent film I’ve ever done. Just saw Chris. He's in amazing shape NOW.”

There he goes again with the not needing big names thing. I guess people will continue to call him a liar.

What's he on about? I haven't heard anyone complaining about Pratt. I agree the film needs a little star power but I don't think Pratt shouldn't have got the job. He's a wonderful choice and a great find.

When they cast Channing Tatum as Groot, only then will JB believe.

What's he on about? I haven't heard anyone complaining about Pratt. I agree the film needs a little star power but I don't think Pratt shouldn't have got the job. He's a wonderful choice and a great find.

Maybe not on here, but probably in Hollywood where they want star power for their flicks.

When they cast Channing Tatum as Groot, only then will JB believe.
What are you taking about? This isn't about me and what I believe, it's about what James Gunn has said on more than occasion and certain people refuse to acknowledge.

Someone on his Facebook page was making claims that the big bad studio was making him sign on "studio-friendly" actors based off of Pratt, Saldana, and Bautista's castings. Gunn was denying this by saying that plenty of A-listers auditioned for the role and he chose the lesser-known Pratt on his own terms, with Marvel backing him up on his decision.

To be fair to the "Big Name Coalition" on this board or BNC, I don't think we ever argued that Star Lord needed to be a big name. I think we all pretty much assumed they were going to go with a lesser known actor. We only said that they should/would/probably/likely cast a big name or two in supporting roles. Which is still possible.

Star power is overrated. Very few so called 'big name actors' consistently guarantee big money returns.

Franchises are what are usually the draw rather than the leads more these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"