Guardians of the Galaxy The Big Bad Star Lord Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if they ever do a Defenders movie (which I doubt) they can have Hulk crossover.

I think Defenders would come off too much like Avengers-lite

Hence why I don't think it would happen. But I'd love to see Strange, Hulk, Silver Surfer teaming up.

Me too. Sadly, Fox still owns the rights to the Silver Surfer. :(

But yeah, I don't see any good reason at all to do the Defenders, even if they did have the Silver Surfer. Dr. Strange, the Hulk, the Silver Surfer, and Namor are just not a good mix, period. Dr. Strange is better off hanging out in the supernatural part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe alongside Blade, Morbius, and Werewolf-By-Night, Hulk is better with the Avengers, while the Silver Surfer is better having his cosmic adventures. Mashing all those characters together takes them all out of their element and takes away from what makes them so great. The Defenders is a team which is less than the sum of its parts, not greater.

Me too. Sadly, Fox still owns the rights to the Silver Surfer. :(

But yeah, I don't see any good reason at all to do the Defenders, even if they did have the Silver Surfer. Dr. Strange, the Hulk, the Silver Surfer, and Namor are just not a good mix, period. Dr. Strange is better off hanging out in the supernatural part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe alongside Blade, Morbius, and Werewolf-By-Night, Hulk is better with the Avengers, while the Silver Surfer is better having his cosmic adventures. Mashing all those characters together takes them all out of their element and takes away from what makes them so great. The Defenders is a team which is less than the sum of its parts, not greater.

The Defenders gimmick (being a team that doesn't get along) was nicked whole sale for the Avengers film as well. The Defenders would just be in the eyes of movie goers, The Hulk hanging out with 3 heroes who are more powerful but less famous than their Avengers counterparts.

You know who would be awesome in this role? Josh Brolin

I'm going to get serious heat for this one, but looking back through Marvel's shortlist past, what about John Krasinski?

Tim Olyphant would be good, but I feel that Star-Lord is going to bee the role where they are going to want the biggest name or star power (no pun intended). Bradley Cooper wouldn't be terrible, but I'd rather have him in a less serious comic book role, like Flash or something. I fear Brolin is pretty much turned off by comic book films after the Jonah Hex fiasco. If you want a recognizable name, plus acting chops (Oscar nominated), might I suggest Ethan Hawke? He's been doing lower profile work lately, but I feel he's ready for a comeback role. Maybe Star-Lord can do for him what IM did for Downey, if to a marginally lesser degree.

I fear Brolin is pretty much turned off by comic book films after the Jonah Hex fiasco.
He was more than happy to turn around and do Men in Black. I think he'll be able to recognize that it's nothing like Jonah Hex, haha

And Ethan Hawke is a good shout. Could see that

He would be an interesting choice actually. Though i tend to imagine quill as a bit hard boiled. So Olyphant or Brolin are more along those lines.

id like to think in the movie he will have his helmet and that they wont show it in early released production designs and stills so that people who are not familiar with the guardians wont assume he is a robot. also those asking about his powers, his suit gives him enhanced strength and durability. hes a human/alien hybrid though has no extra powers from that. basically hes a guy in a suit

Last edited:
He would be an interesting choice actually. Though i tend to imagine quill as a bit hard boiled. So Olyphant or Brolin are more along those lines.

Brolin to me doesn't have the sense of humor though. There's something kind of winking about Olyphant.

Ultimately, I have feeling they're going to cast younger for Star-Lord anyway; I really doubt they'll cast someone who will be 47 when the first movie of a franchise comes out.

lol nah Kitsch is about to sign on for the big Need for Speed movie... should definitely resuscitate his career :lmao:

I hope he's putting all this money in a high interest savings account.

Does anyone think John Krasinski could work in this role, or am I the only one?

Kang, didn't you just ask that a few posts back, and have already gotten a couple of responses? Personally, I'd say no to Krasinski. I like him as an actor, but I don't feel that he's right for Star-lord. He'd come across as too jokey for what I feel is a more serious, stoic role. Jim Halpert belongs in Scranton, not space. If you want to pull from the Marvel almost-cast list, I'd say take another look at Ryan Phillipe.

Well, Star-Lord is jokey, but I think we need a more dashing jokey than goofball, and Krasinski screams goofball to me. Not somebody you take seriously.

Kang, didn't you just ask that a few posts back, and have already gotten a couple of responses? Personally, I'd say no to Krasinski. I like him as an actor, but I don't feel that he's right for Star-lord. He'd come across as too jokey for what I feel is a more serious, stoic role. Jim Halpert belongs in Scranton, not space. If you want to pull from the Marvel almost-cast list, I'd say take another look at Ryan Phillipe.

Sorry, I thought I asked in the casting thread.

Star-Lord IS very sarcastic and irreverent. Gamora once scolded him for not being able to stop himself from joking even in a tense situation. He IS a character with a sense of humor, not a stoic, Captain America.

Maybe you should re-read the books?

He's more like a Han Solo type, though, in that while he makes jokes he can be taken seriously. I don't get anything from Krasinski that could be taken seriously. His face is to oddly goofball, at least IMO.

Agreed, Captain. I see Star-lord more snarky and sarcastic than goofy. Han is a really good comparison. Or maybe Ed Burns from "Saving Private Ryan". Come to think of it, Burns wouldn't be a terrible Star-lord either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"