Guardians of the Galaxy The Big Bad Star Lord Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dick jokes are one thing, but it was the amount of cursing that surprised me. One little kid in the audience asked his parents, "Did he just cuss?" at the beginning of the film. All the adults just laughed harder. :woot:

Really, though, I loved the fact that Marvel allowed so much uncensored swearing in GOTG. It's nice to be treated like grownups by a film, even when there are kids in the target audience. We all know the little blighters curse like sailors practically from birth, anyway, no matter how offended their parents might pretend to be.

Including uncensored swearing is the true mark of immaturity and insecurity on the parts of the filmmakers. The profanity in that movie was not cool or funny, it was stupid and immature. And I say this as someone who cusses a lot offline.

Writer Scott Snyder talked on Twitter about taking his 5-year-old to see the film and them both loving it. If we look back, some of the most cherished films from our childhoods likely had a bit of mild violence and cussing in them.

True. However, if we look back some of the most cherished and popular films and TV series had racially and homophobic offensive slurs in them, but we don't see those slurs being included in modern day PG-13 movies, especially those PG-13 movies marketed towards all ages (which includes kids).

Including uncensored swearing is the true mark of immaturity and insecurity on the parts of the filmmakers. The profanity in that movie was not cool or funny, it was stupid and immature. And I say this as someone who cusses a lot offline.

I don't cuss particularly much offline, but can still perfectly enjoy and appreciate some nice pepperings of bad language in a film, because I recognise that film and reality are two different things. And from a very young age I could watch films where people swear and know when I couldn't say those words in real life. I'd have no hesitations letting a kid see this film because OOOOOOOH-AAAAAAH HE SAID A BAD WORD! They're just words, and only have the power you give to them. I think part of the decline in children's entertainment is this sanitising and focus-grouping of everything, rounding off every sharp edge and making it all as safe and bland as possible.

it fit Star-Lord's character....his whole nature and vocabulary is immature. He was taken from Earth as a child

Wow, I have no idea what swearing you guys are talking about. Really didn't notice it while watching.

There was hardly any bad language in the film. Unless people find the word 'dick' to be that offensive.

I thought there was a lot of adult language in the movie; I'm including lesser words like "dick" and "bastard". If I brought a young kid to that movie, I think I'd have a bit of explaining to do afterwards. I'd prefer all the Marvel movies to be adult b/c I'm not much of a kid person but if they want these movies to be family friendly, I'm surprised GoTG made it past the editors.

Wow, I have no idea what swearing you guys are talking about. Really didn't notice it while watching.

There was hardly any bad language in the film. Unless people find the word 'dick' to be that offensive.

The "S" word was dropped a couple of times and then there was Quill giving the finger to the Nova Corpsmen.

I don't cuss particularly much offline, but can still perfectly enjoy and appreciate some nice pepperings of bad language in a film, because I recognise that film and reality are two different things. And from a very young age I could watch films where people swear and know when I couldn't say those words in real life. I'd have no hesitations letting a kid see this film because OOOOOOOH-AAAAAAH HE SAID A BAD WORD! They're just words, and only have the power you give to them. I think part of the decline in children's entertainment is this sanitising and focus-grouping of everything, rounding off every sharp edge and making it all as safe and bland as possible.

IMO, keeping out certain cuss words in entertainment that is being marketed (or PARTLY marketed) towards kids is no where near as sanitary as the over sanitized current batch of Marvel animated TV series (although the 3rd season of USM is a little bit more mature then the previous 2 seasons).

The "S" word was dropped a couple of times and then there was Quill giving the finger to the Nova Corpsmen.
Hm, I don't think it's that bad to be honest. I don't think it takes anything away from the whole experience. That's just my opinion anyway.

Lol, had no idea.

I have a question about Star Lord's father. Do you guys think it's going to remain J'Son? Or do you think they might switch it up?

Also, we didn't get the element gun. Do you think it will pop up in the sequel, possible powered by an Infinity Gem? I can't imagine which one, but additional gems have been used in the past. I could see that happening.

I really hope it's J'Son. They're already kinda deviating w/ this whole "something's different about Quill's DNA" but that's fine. Just don't change the man's identity.

I want a picture of Quill's caller ID when he is contacting Nova Corp

If someone can find it, thanks :woot:

Lol, had no idea.

I have a question about Star Lord's father. Do you guys think it's going to remain J'Son? Or do you think they might switch it up?

Also, we didn't get the element gun. Do you think it will pop up in the sequel, possible powered by an Infinity Gem? I can't imagine which one, but additional gems have been used in the past. I could see that happening.
I have a feeling it will still be J'son. Which reminds me, is he a villain or a good guy? I can't really remember at the moment. In regards to his element gun, I believe it only has the settings of stun and kill in the cinematic universe. Be cool if it got upgraded though with different functions.

It's almost impossible to see anyone else in the role as it was written.

J'Son not really a "villain" per se. However, he is a complete A-hole, and also extremely arrogant, prideful, and just generally unlikeable. He also has a habit of ticking off the heroes of Earth with his dukeiness (Carol Danvers Captain Marvel being the most recent example of this). He's also incredibly ruthless as a ruler.

Basically he's a Namor.

I really hope it's J'Son. They're already kinda deviating w/ this whole "something's different about Quill's DNA" but that's fine. Just don't change the man's identity.

I hope so, too. I don't mind the ancient dna bit as I hope we get the Spartoi and Shi'ar. I'd love to see Gladiator on screen

Last edited:
I hope so, too. I don't mind the ancient dna bit as I hope we get the Spartoi and Shi'ar. I'd love to see Gladiator on screen

I think Fox may have gotten the Shi'ar with the X-Men package. Gladiator's my favorite Marvel character, I'll lose my marbles if I ever see him on screen haha.

I think Fox may have gotten the Shi'ar with the X-Men package. Gladiator's my favorite Marvel character, I'll lose my marbles if I ever see him on screen haha.

Thanks, I'd asked a couple times if Fox had the Shi'ar but no one had answered. While he's not my favorite Marvel character I am a big fan of his. I'd fangasm if he shows up in Guardians. I also want to see Warlock come out of his cocoon in GotG2

Thanks everyone for the reminder of J'son being a good or bad guy.

J'Son not really a "villain" per se. However, he is a complete A-hole, and also extremely arrogant, prideful, and just generally unlikeable. He also has a habit of ticking off the heroes of Earth with his dukeiness (Carol Danvers Captain Marvel being the most recent example of this). He's also incredibly ruthless as a ruler.

That's the retconned Bendis version, not the original version.

Thanks, I'd asked a couple times if Fox had the Shi'ar but no one had answered. While he's not my favorite Marvel character I am a big fan of his. I'd fangasm if he shows up in Guardians. I also want to see Warlock come out of his cocoon in GotG2

For the sequel, I want Warlock hatched and either Nova(Rider) or Quasar showing up. Plus more OG Guardians obviously.

I thought there was a lot of adult language in the movie; I'm including lesser words like "dick" and "bastard". If I brought a young kid to that movie, I think I'd have a bit of explaining to do afterwards. I'd prefer all the Marvel movies to be adult b/c I'm not much of a kid person but if they want these movies to be family friendly, I'm surprised GoTG made it past the editors.

Wolverine said the F word in a First Class and it still received a PG-13 rating. I don't see what is the big deal with GOTG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"