The Big Bad Star Lord Thread

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by R_Hythlodeus, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

I'd love to see Quill's dad in the sequel. Hopefully it's J'son .

#976 The Caped Knight, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

[​IMG]
    I love the look of Star-Lord in the film, I guess that the comics will adapt to this look now.

3. Loki882 Registered

They already have in Sam Humphries's current Star Lord book.

4. terry78 My name is Stefan, sweet thang

I'm wondering if in the sequel he'll get the implants that grant him augmented strength.

5. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

I kinda doubt it. Quill had those removed in the comics years ago.

6. Loki882 Registered

Plus Gamora and Nebula already have those, so they might not want to repeat themselves. They seem to want Quill to fill the "roguish everyman" type of role in these films.

7. terry78 My name is Stefan, sweet thang

He's the....and I hate to even say it...Batman of the team.

8. Harry Dresden Registered

I read a theory that Starfox will be Star Lord's father. :woot:

9. cph9fa Registered

Interesting... I have not actually read that theory (do you have a link?), but I just came to my own conclusion that his father was probably an Eternal of some sort. My first thought was Mentor, but Eros/Starfox was my second thought (and probably makes more sense). Either way, it would make him related to Thanos.

His father is described as an angel, a being of pure light, and something ancient. In addition, he had to be more-or-less humanoid in appearance, and a powerful enough cosmic being that his son would be able to temporarily withstand the destruction of the infinity stone. Aside from the humanoid appearance, I don't think J'son fits (from what little I've heard about him, which, granted, is next-to-nothing).

I have to admit, reading about the Titans (and having seen them in the original Captain Marvel comics), I honestly didn't think they'd be able to depict them on screen at all. But after watching Guardians, if they suddenly discovered an underground base of Eternals hiding on Titan, I don't think I'd blink an eye.

10. JLMHodge Registered

Speaking of implants, did anyone notice the translator he had in his neck? A nice little nod to the comics. I thought it was also interesting because James Gunn said that not everyone in the film is actually speaking English.

11. Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
    I always figured his mother meant he was a being of light by way of his ship coming to Earth. Upon entry into Earth's atmosphere, maybe it burned up and it looked like an angel to her. Remember that J'son, at least before Bendis, had removed all memories of what happened between them while he was on Earth. Maybe she just had faint memories of what happened, most notably him crashing on Earth.

12. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

He says it twice in The Wolverine. Once to Mori and once to Harada.

13. terry78 My name is Stefan, sweet thang

I actually did not catch that. Nerds were *****ing about aliens speaking english, but that was a nice catch.

14. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Pratt was brilliant in this film, playing Quill as a sort of Han Solo meets Nathan Drake. I was very pleasantly surprised as found him kind of annoying in the trailers. He's now my second favorite lead character in the MCU (after Tony Stark).

15. cph9fa Registered

Regardless of whatever she may or may not have meant by her comments, the Nova Corps confirmed that his father was something ancient and unknown to Xandar (thus, not Kree, or Xandarian, or Sakaaran, or any other mundane race that they know of). Gamora's comment about Quill holding the Infinity stone strongly suggests that this being may be cosmically powerful; capable of holding an infinity stone (which, from the Collector, we know is no small feat).

Script-wise, the key word is "ancient". Gunn (or Perlman) could've had Nova Prime use just about any word to describe his father. The word they chose to tease us with is "ancient". Cue the "ancient astronaut" theory, which ties in with the Celestials creating the Eternals.

16. cph9fa Registered

OK, time for a second theory. Instead of an Eternal, what about if Star Lord's father is the somewhat-enigmatic "Master of the Sun". Could be an ancient, unknown powerful being of pure light who, in comic-book canon, had a hand in the origin of Star Lord. Could also explain why Meredith called child-Peter "my little Star Lord."

17. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

I love The Iron Man flight close look Star-Lord had when he escaped the Kyln prison

[​IMG]

18. StarLord <<<<<<<<<<

''If you like Piña Colada's and getting caught in the rain'' :woot:

That scene was visually beautiful.

19. ctsketch Registered

20. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

21. StarLord <<<<<<<<<<

Sam Humphries 'Legendary Star-Lord' #2 is out tomorrow. Looking forward to picking it up.

[​IMG]

22. Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
    Well, why can't the Spartoi be an ancient race that is cosmically powerful?

All of this is just us assuming but I think that if he really was this over-the-top angel of cosmic light, why would he hire Ravagers to go pick him up if he's powerful enough to go do it himself?

Quill's father is obviously someone with ancient cosmic traits, but I don't see why J'Son can't be altered to fit how the Nova described. I definitely have a lot of trouble thinking they're gonna make his father something like a Celestial.

23. cph9fa Registered

Because it's not that way in the comics! He'll be J'Son INO! :o (kidding!)

Point taken, though. It may well be a pastiche of different concepts from the concepts, including, at least, the name J'Son.

Same reason Thanos doesn't pick up the infinity stones himself... because space gas is too expensive. Have you seen the price of fuel at Knowhere? :funny:

I agree. I didn't suggest Celestial; I think 'd have trouble with that as well. Eternals, OTOH, look basically like humans, and are an early, very-long-lived offshoot of humanity. They're also, technically, what Thanos is descended from in the comics, though whether that is the case in the MCU remains to be seen, of course. This suggestion was basically to suggest that Thanos and Star-Lord could be related.

24. Hypestyle Registered

Why is Quill's pop culture frame of reference still near-exclusively American-centric? He was abducted when he was 8. He's in his early 30s now. He's spent over 25 years in deep space. He grew up with a bunch of ethically dubious space pirates, none of whom were from Earth. Aside from his mother's mixtape and a school-box of mementos (at best), what else has he absorbed over the years? It would have to be from random global radio and TV broadcasts (not just USA)-- but even then, it likely would not have been consistently received, depending on what Yondu's space vessel could receive light years away. So why isn't he referencing pop culture from various other countries as well? By galactic standards, he'd be an awfully ethnocentric sort who seemingly knows little about the myriad of cultures on his home planet.

You'd think he was 17 when he was abducted, not 8.

#999 Hypestyle, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  25. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.