The Black Panther Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 3

$700M DOM? I'd give it 50/50. But it's passing TLJ WW almost for sure now and nearly as certain for HP8. Probably looking at around a $1.35B WW finish.

$1.3B feels unreal. It's like another Avengers sized film rather than just a standard good new solo sized film.

Aloha,
1.3 billion has been my mantra for some time now. Black Panther is now 2 months old as a movie.When all of the totals come in, it will have taken Black Panther 9 weeks to make 1.3 billion dollars. I have been a lifelong fan of both Spider-Man and Black Panther. Spider-Man has always been a dominating force in the Marvel comic book/cinematic world. For Black Panther to stand as the most successful solo superhero movie, makes me very proud that I was a fan from the start.

Spidey rules
:susd:
Long Live the King of Wakanda
:bp:

Aloha,
1.3 billion has been my mantra for some time now. Black Panther is now 2 months old as a movie.When all of the totals come in, it will have taken Black Panther 9 weeks to make 1.3 billion dollars. I have been a lifelong fan of both Spider-Man and Black Panther. Spider-Man has always been a dominating force in the Marvel comic book/cinematic world. For Black Panther to stand as the most successful solo superhero movie, makes me very proud that I was a fan from the start.

Spidey rules

That's basically how I felt back in 2008 with Iron Man's success. Him and Hulk have always been my favorite characters.

Yeah, except in China. It's ending its run there today with a multiplier just below 1.57x. Has taken BvS's place as the most frontloaded Marvel/DC movie ever in China
The fact that will make over $1.2B even without China is astounding. This movie wasn’t expected to make $100M in China just 3 months ago from a lot of people on the internet. The China money is just icing on the cake. It will be one of the top 3 most profitable superhero films ever.

Aloha,
Box Office: 'Black Panther' Just Missed The $1.3B Mark
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/04/08/box-office-chadwick-boseman-black-panther-1-3-billion-worldwide-disney-marvel/#3de992d06336

Ryan Coogler and Joe Robert Cole’s action drama just missed the $1.3 billion worldwide mark, ending the frame with (eye-roll) $1.2999b. It is the 10th-biggest global grosser, between Frozen ($1.277b in 2013/2014) and Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($1.33b in 2017/2018). It just might get past the last Star Wars film (if not the last Harry Potter flick, which earned $1.43b in 2011). Considering the inexplicably negative press that The Last Jedi got for “only” grossing $1.33b, it might not be in Disney’s interest for the Star Wars flick to be taken down a notch. Moreover, the higher Black Panther gets, the more Infinity War must gross to avoid negative press.

Talk about click bait.
It ain't over til it's over baby!
BP will hit the mark.

Maybe when estimates come in tomorrow it will officially hit 1.3 billi

Aloha,

Spidey rules
They are definitely 2 of the hottest heroes out there right now. Hope both sequels hit it big too and get at least $1B each.

Aloha,
Box Office: 'Black Panther' Just Missed The $1.3B Mark
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/04/08/box-office-chadwick-boseman-black-panther-1-3-billion-worldwide-disney-marvel/#3de992d06336

Ryan Coogler and Joe Robert Cole’s action drama just missed the $1.3 billion worldwide mark, ending the frame with (eye-roll) $1.2999b. It is the 10th-biggest global grosser, between Frozen ($1.277b in 2013/2014) and Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($1.33b in 2017/2018). It just might get past the last Star Wars film (if not the last Harry Potter flick, which earned $1.43b in 2011). Considering the inexplicably negative press that The Last Jedi got for “only” grossing $1.33b, it might not be in Disney’s interest for the Star Wars flick to be taken down a notch. Moreover, the higher Black Panther gets, the more Infinity War must gross to avoid negative press.

Talk about click bait.
It ain't over til it's over baby!
BP will hit the mark.

Well said! :up:

Aloha,

Spidey rules

It must be so surreal for you the last few months. :woot:

Yeah, except in China. It's ending its run there today with a multiplier just below 1.57x. Has taken BvS's place as the most frontloaded Marvel/DC movie ever in China

That's really crazy the reaction it's gotten in China. Hopefully his big role in the next 2 Avengers will boost him in their eyes for the sequel.

I'd love it if it snatched #8th. Hopefully it still has some steam.

The fact that will make over $1.2B even without China is astounding. This movie wasn’t expected to make $100M in China just 3 months ago from a lot of people on the internet. The China money is just icing on the cake. It will be one of the top 3 most profitable superhero films ever.

Being able to smash box office records with little help from China is a huge achievement. That shows how well-received Black Panther was in the vast majority of global markets.

If tomorrows actuals reveal BP met or exceeded its weekend $8.43 million projection, and then went on to average $1.106 daily for the rest of this week, then held at around 27% on average week to week for the next 3.5 month (well into the summer) while only gradually losing theater counts-- then I predict a final gross surpassing $700 million domestic, which means BP would pass both Last Jedi and Harry Potter DH pt 2 to rank #8 on the all time worldwide list. Still, I think it will fall a few million short of the adjusted domestic total of Avengers, placing it at 30th all time adjusted. But there is the possibility of a re-expansion like Jurassic World and Avengers got near latter stages of their domestic runs. If so, BP will probably wind up at about $707 million domestic ($1.35 billion worldwide) staying pat at #3 domestic, but up to number #8 worldwide and #28 all-time adjusted.

Last edited:
Being able to smash box office records with little help from China is a huge achievement. That shows how well-received Black Panther was in the vast majority of global markets.

I'm still amazed that in places so random like Netherlands or Vietnam it's their top grossing superhero film. It's really caught on well.

Will it have some kind of a boost from the upcoming Avengers? Might some folks watch it a week or 2 prior to IW, just to relive it again? Maybe it might be really small numbers that continue to push it further into 9th or 8th spot WW.

I'm still amazed that in places so random like Netherlands or Vietnam it's their top grossing superhero film. It's really caught on well.

Over 500m OS is really good for a SH origin film.

Over 600m is legendary.

'Black Panther' surpasses 'Titanic' as No. 3 domestic release of all time

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...r-surpasses-titanic-1523216536-htmlstory.html

BLACK PANTHER

During the week, Disney/Marvel’s wonder from Wakanda crossed Frozen to become the No. 10 movie of all time globally. It has now grossed $1,299.9M worldwide, so, basically $1.3B. The international cume after this weekend’s $4.5M is $634.5M. Still tearing it up in 43 offshore markets, BP had a good hold in Europe, dropping 46% across the region including just 11% in Sweden and 35% in the UK. In the latter, T’Challa has overtaken Avengers: Age Of Ultron to become the 2nd highest grossing MCU title of all time. The Top 5 markets overseas are China ($104.6M), the UK ($67.6M), Korea ($42.8M), Brazil ($36M) and France ($31.7M).

http://deadline.com/2018/04/ready-p...-weekend-international-box-office-1202360506/

T'Challa has overtaken Avengers: Age of Ultron to become the 2nd highest grossing MCU title of all time in the UK.

5L2fHzt.gif

Maybe when estimates come in tomorrow it will officially hit 1.3 billi
Looks like you are right. According to the-numbers.com, it’s at $1,300,111,825. I don’t know if the overseas weekend numbers are official though.

Excellent! It didn’t even have to crawl there.

I am gonna be pissed if it barely makes it below TLJ WW by only a couple million.....smh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"