The Black Panther Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 3

DOMESTIC (ADJUSTED):

VON1k9z.png

WORLDWIDE:

lNahqOf.png

r0FSfRD.gif

Disney vs. Disney......first world problems.

Whoever wins this Disney vs Disney battle will be beaten by Disney again very soon and again the year after. :woot:

From BO.com

BLACK PANTHER
$5.77M Weekend (Actual)
2,180 Screens / $2,650 Avg.
Weekend 9 / -33.6% Change
$674.23M Total (North America)

The Sunday drop did look very harsh (-45% as opposed to -27%) so the increase from estimates is understandable. Another good weekend for BP.

Aloha,
Genre Rank
3D 3
Comic Book Adaptation 1
IMAX (Feature-length) 3
Superhero 1
Superhero - Origin 1
Franchises
Franchise Rank
Series: Marvel Cinematic Universe 1
Brand: Marvel Comics 1
Showdown: MCU Top Openers 1
Showdown: Opening Weekend Showdown 2

Of course, Infinity War will break many records but it will be an ensemble cast.

Long Live the King of Wakanda

And to think Snyder once said this:
"Marvel heroes are a dime a dozen. But I feel like Batman and Superman are transcendent of superhero movies in a way, because they’re Batman and Superman. They’re not just, like, the flavor of the week Ant-Man — not to be mean, but whatever it is. What is the next Blank-Man?"

Wakanda Forever!

And to think Snyder once said this:
"Marvel heroes are a dime a dozen. But I feel like Batman and Superman are transcendent of superhero movies in a way, because they’re Batman and Superman. They’re not just, like, the flavor of the week Ant-Man — not to be mean, but whatever it is. What is the next Blank-Man?"

Wakanda Forever!

"The average movie audience has seen — well, I can’t even count the amount of superhero movies. Fantastic Four, X-Men, Superman, Spider-Man. The Marvel universe has gone nuts; we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we’re not careful. Thor, too! We’re on our second Hulk movie. And Iron Man — $300 million domestic box office on a second tier superhero!" — Zack Snyder

"[Superman] is the freaking […] biggest superhero on the planet. He’s the father of every superhero. [Deborah and I] were just talking about this – I’m like, really? Thor? Thor has a movie? [Laughter.] Really? I mean, come on. And there’s no Superman movie? This is, like, the world’s out of balance. It’s like, we’ve lost our minds here, people, come on." — Zack Snyder

:ninja:

Blank Panther is a little less than $25.8M from crossing $700M domestic. Will it make it? Here's a comparison of how the previous four $620M+ grossers (earliest to most recent) were performing at this point in their runs (the 59th day of their release) till their runs were over.

The Avengers' total was at $607.2M at this point and added another $16.1M. Jurassic World was up to $625.9M on its 59th day and increased its total by $16.3M before it was done. The Force Awakens' total was at a whopping $916.2M at this point and the film made an additional $20.38M by the end of its run. And finally, The Last Jedi, which is still in a few theaters, was up to $617.97M on day 59 and has added only $3.2M.

Incredible.

The US Domestic Box Office is what's catapulted this movie massively, usually it's the other way around if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone got a ranking link for International Box Office figures only excluding the US Domestic? I'd be curious to see just how good $636m actually is in comparison to not only MCU/DC movies but other box office smashes.

'Black Panther' makes history as first movie to gross R100m in SA.

In its ninth weekend of release (13 - 15 April 2018), Black Panther crossed R100 million at the local box office with takings of nearly R101.2 million to date, becoming the first film to achieve this record locally.

In its fifth weekend of release (16 - 18 March 2018), Black Panther became the all-time top-grossing film in South Africa.

http://ewn.co.za/2018/04/16/black-panther-makes-history-as-first-movie-to-gross-r100m

Incredible.

The US Domestic Box Office is what's catapulted this movie massively, usually it's the other way around if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone got a ranking link for International Box Office figures only excluding the US Domestic? I'd be curious to see just how good $636m actually is in comparison to not only MCU/DC movies but other box office smashes.

It's 38th all time overseas at the moment.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/?pagenum=1&sort=osgross&order=DESC&p=.htm

Ah cheers, didn't see that when I was on Mojo looking. :up:

That feels about right because while BP was a big movie over here, it didn't feel any bigger than any other MCU/DC movie. Whereas in the States it has blown up much bigger.

It's bigger than non teamup non Iron Man MCU movies and great for a first film but not as extaordinary as its record breaking domestic run. Btw in case interested for future, that page isn't a default on boxofficemojo, you just have to go to the All Time Worldwide tab and click on the overseas header to sort in order of overseas numbers.

It's bigger than non teamup non Iron Man MCU movies and great for a first film but not as extaordinary as its record breaking domestic run. Btw in case interested for future, that page isn't a default on boxofficemojo, you just have to go to the All Time Worldwide tab and click on the overseas header to sort in order of overseas numbers.

Agreed just looking at the list other than Iron Man, the only other lone superhero movie that earned more is Batman, then there's Captain America: Civil War but that really isn't a Cap movie it's more of an Avengers movie. Then after that the likes of Spiderman, Batman/Superman, Thor etc are all within $50m - $100m. No doubt though it's the US Domestic run that has really made the difference, in the same respect it's the US Domestic run that really killed PoTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales with 'only' $172m taken in the US.

Cheers, I did look but didn't see the option. :up:

Black Panther out grossed all Spider-Man movies overseas. It's overseas gross is huge.

Agreed just looking at the list other than Iron Man, the only other lone superhero movie that earned more is Batman, then there's Captain America: Civil War but that really isn't a Cap movie it's more of an Avengers movie. Then after that the likes of Spiderman, Batman/Superman, Thor etc are all within $50m - $100m. No doubt though it's the US Domestic run that has really made the difference, in the same respect it's the US Domestic run that really killed PoTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales with 'only' $172m taken in the US.

Cheers, I did look but didn't see the option. :up:

Yeah, same for the Furious films. Huge overseas but becoming less significant domestically. BP did very well overseas, but amazingly domestically.

Black Panther out grossed all Spider-Man movies overseas. It's overseas gross is huge.

I think those original Spider-Man films would have been huge in today’s overseas market. The market was much smaller in 2002 and 2004.

I think those original Spider-Man films would have been huge in today’s overseas market. The market was much smaller in 2002 and 2004.

indeed, in general the market for these movies is bigger. those were huge back then too. adjusted for inflation the overseas gross of the Spider-Man films:

- Spider-Man: $579,844,997
- Spider-Man 2: $541,885,593
- Spider-Man 3: $667,197,647

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"