Homecoming The Box Office Thread - Part 2

I'll guess 270,000-275,000 for Tuesday.

Weekend actuals:
3-Day weekend: $3,684,189(+30.6%)
4-Day weekend: $4,719,376
Monday: $1,035,187

Total after Monday: $325,120,922
http://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/daily/2017/09/04

It has now passed Suicide Squad both domestically and worldwide.

61h0RUqA30L.jpg

Does anyone have any concerns that the Digital on Demand version of Spiderman Homecoming becoming available on September 26th could hurt it's Box Office Numbers in China? I know a couple months ago there was talk of possible piracy as something that could effect it due to the delayed release. Then, it seemed like that concern died down as those versions I guess we're not very good quality. However, with the Digital on Demand coming out later this month to me it seems likely that a higher quality version of it being Pirated will probably begin circulation soon after. So while it will not effect most likely a strong opening in China it could effect it getting the legs necessary to bring it to $900 Million WW. Hoping I am wrong, but I think they are making a mistake by releasing it this early on Digital on Demand. I guess we will see.

Surfer

Does anyone have any concerns that the Digital on Demand version of Spiderman Homecoming becoming available on September 26th could hurt it's Box Office Numbers in China? I know a couple months ago there was talk of possible piracy as something that could effect it due to the delayed release. Then, it seemed like that concern died down as those versions I guess we're not very good quality. However, with the Digital on Demand coming out later this month to me it seems likely that a higher quality version of it being Pirated will probably begin circulation soon after. So while it will not effect most likely a strong opening in China it could effect it getting the legs necessary to bring it to $900 Million WW. Hoping I am wrong, but I think they are making a mistake by releasing it this early on Digital on Demand. I guess we will see.

Surfer
China is an extremely frontloaded market. September 26th will be day 19 of release in China. It won't have much left by then.

For example, GotG2 had already made over 97% of its money from China after day 19 of release. It shouldn't have a significant effect on the China numbers.

China is an extremely frontloaded market. September 26th will be day 19 of release in China. It won't have much left by then.

For example, GotG2 had already made over 97% of its money from China after day 19 of release. It shouldn't have a significant effect on the China numbers.

Well that's good to know thanks.

Surfer

248,359. I was way too optimistic.

Still, all things considered a good number.

Last edited:
Now it slows to a crawl. :csad:

How long till first China numbers?

Now it slows to a crawl. :csad:

How long till first China numbers?
Forbes
China Set To Drive 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Toward $850+ Million
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2017/09/06/china-set-to-drive-spider-man-homecoming-toward-850-million/#1f2ba7c61d99

Aloha,
Spider-Man: Homecoming is winding down at the domestic box office, as its run in current foreign territories enters the final weeks as well. But the box office race is far from over for the web-head, as the latest MCU offering swings into China on September 8 with strong odds of putting up the second-highest box office tally of the franchise's 16 year history.
Homecoming looks to add another $7+/- million in North America plus around $3-4+/- million in existing foreign markets, for a pre-China cume in the neighborhood of $760 million. That would already be good enough to surpass the final global receipts of the previous two Amazing Spider-Man movies. And an absurdly weak $25 million run in China would push Homecoming past Spider-Man 2 for third place on the franchise all-time box office list. But there's plenty of indication this latest entry in the Spider-Man series, with the inclusion of Iron Man and official MCU status, will push Homecoming far higher.

First of all, the previous Spider-Man movie -- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 -- hit $94 million in China three years ago. Marvel's five releases since that year have all consistently performed north of $100 million in the Middle Kingdom, and that includes a mix of big team-up productions like the Avengers sequel as well as solo releases of lesser-known characters like Ant-Man.

It's true that 2012's The Amazing Spider-Man only took $48 million in China, but keep in mind the theater count and appetite for Hollywood fare has continued to grow since then, reflected in the sequel's $94 million cume and all of those $100+ million runs by the MCU films. Even if we consider a lower-end $50 million range, that still puts Homecoming at around $810 million when all is said and done, good enough for third place in Spidey franchise history, behind only the original origin film in 2002 and the $890 million eye-popping run of Spider-Man 3.

Spidey rules

Last edited:
With ¥35.47M total for opening day at 0:00 Beijing time, presales have continued to be good, and it landed pretty much as expected after the strong start:
Presales seem to be heading to roughly ¥35M in total presales for opening day.
For comparison, GotG2 had ¥28.9M in presales for opening day at the same point. It got ¥98.6M opening day and ¥336M opening weekend.

If Homecoming acts like GotG2, it would get ¥121M($18.6M) opening day and ¥413M($63.5M) opening weekend. Total would be $127M assuming a 2x multiplier.

But this is all assuming Homecoming acts the same way as GotG2, which remains to be seen. It could do better, it could do worse, we'll just have to wait and see. We should have opening day estimates in under 24 hours.

$127M would put it above BvS.

Looking at WW numbers, it will take 125 million to surpass BvS.

115 million and it will surpass Guardians Vol. 2

73 million and it will surpass the first Spider-man.

65 million until it surpasses WW.

35 million until it surpasses Deadpool and Spider-man 2

Even less if you factor in the 10 or so million it's likely to get on top of the China total.

Movies at about 748m right now. Should have around 10m left in USA and like 5 OS not counting China. That would get it to 763+ China. If China does 127 that would get it up to 890 right around Spider-Man 3.

From a poster at BOT:

61.7m at 2pm. 6.3m per hour thru 10pm. Double rate from 6-9pm.
130m/$20m OD 450m/$70m OW (1.86x)*
8.1 Maoyan rating

Another:

67.9 m at 3pm (+6.2)

74.1 m at 4pm (+6.2)

Last edited:
Around $70M opening weekend in China? Ultra nice!!

Wow! That is a beautiful figure. :cool:

850M is a lock for this movie, that's amazing! Anything over 800M was a win in my books for this movie coming off 3 movies in a row that the public were "iffy" about. The other 50M plus is just gravy. I'm so happy for this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"