The Boxtrolls

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
The-Boxtrolls.jpg

FOCUS FEATURES AND LAIKA REUNITE FOR OCTOBER 2014’s THE BOXTROLLS, BASED ON ALAN SNOW’S BESTSELLER HERE BE MONSTERS AND STARRING THE VOICES OF BEN KINGSLEY, TONI COLLETTE, ELLE FANNING, ISAAC HEMPSTEAD-WRIGHT, JARED HARRIS, SIMON PEGG, NICK FROST, RICHARD AYOADE, TRACY MORGAN
PORTLAND, February 7th, 2013 – Marking their third project together, LAIKA and Focus Features, the two companies behind the current Academy Award-nominated animated feature ParaNorman, announced today that LAIKA has begun production on TheBoxtrolls. The new movie will be released nationwide by Focus on October 17th, 2014. Focus CEO James Schamus and LAIKA President & CEO Travis Knight made the announcement today.
As on the previous animation collaborations ParaNorman and Coraline, Focus will hold worldwide distribution rights to The Boxtrolls, and Universal Pictures International will release the movie overseas (with eOne Distribution handling Canada). Coraline (2009) earned Golden Globe, BAFTA, Critics’ Choice, and Academy Award nominations for Best Animated Feature Film; and was named one of the year’s 10 Best Films by the American Film Institute (AFI). In addition to its Academy Award nomination, ParaNorman (2012) is in the running for the BAFTA Awards’ animated feature prize. ParaNorman has won two Annie Awards (the animation community’s Oscars equivalent) and been cited as best animated feature film by 14 critics’ groups, more than any other 2012 animated feature.
The Boxtrolls is a 3D stop-motion and CG hybrid animated feature based on Alan Snow’s bestselling fantasy adventure novel Here Be Monsters. The Boxtrolls is being directed by Anthony Stacchi (co-director of the hit animated feature Open Season) and Graham Annable (story artist on Coraline and ParaNorman), and produced by David Ichioka and Mr. Knight. The voice cast includes Academy Award winner Ben Kingsley, Academy Award nominee Toni Collette, Elle Fanning (marking her fourth movie with Focus), Isaac Hempstead-Wright (Game of Thrones), Emmy Award nominee Jared Harris (Mad Men), Simon Pegg (Star Trek), Nick Frost (of Focus’ upcoming The World’s End), Richard Ayoade (The IT Crowd), and Tracy Morgan (30 Rock).
The Boxtrolls is a comedic fable that unfolds in Cheesebridge, a posh Victorian-era town obsessed with wealth, class, and the stinkiest of fine cheeses. Beneath its charming cobblestone streets dwell the Boxtrolls, foul monsters who crawl out of the sewers at night and steal what the townspeople hold most dear: their children and their cheeses. At least, that’s the legend residents have always believed. In truth, the Boxtrolls are an underground cavern-dwelling community of quirky and lovable oddballs who wear recycled cardboard boxes the way turtles wear their shells. The Boxtrolls have raised an orphaned human boy, Eggs (voiced by Mr. Hempstead-Wright), since infancy as one of their dumpster-diving and mechanical junk-collecting own. When the Boxtrolls are targeted by villainous pest exterminator Archibald Snatcher (Mr. Kingsley), who is bent on eradicating them as his ticket to Cheesebridge society, the kindhearted band of tinkerers must turn to their adopted charge and adventurous rich girl Winnie (Ms. Fanning) to bridge two worlds amidst the winds of change – and cheese.
Mr. Knight said, “The Boxtrolls is a visually dazzling mash-up of gripping detective story, absurdist comedy, and steampunk adventure with a surprisingly wholesome heart. It’s Dickens by way of Monty Python. Tony and Graham have crafted a strange and beautiful world replete with fantastical creatures, good-for-nothing reprobates, madcap antics, and rip-roaring feats of derring-do. But at its core, like all LAIKA films, The Boxtrolls is a moving and human story with timelessness and powerful emotional resonance. We’re thrilled to partner with Focus Features and Universal to bring this remarkable story to family audiences around the world.”
Mr. Schamus commented, “Following our successful collaborations on ParaNorman and Coraline, we are delighted to be embarking on a third wondrous adventure with the LAIKA artisans who transform everyday materials into living creatures infused with dimension, humor, and soul. With a wonderfully appealing menagerie of fun characters, and a generous, open heart at its center, The Boxtrolls will be a must-see for family audiences.”

I can't wait. Though I wish a mod can change the title to 'Laika Studios' present The Boxtrolls'.

Is it just me or are Laika trying to teach kids about stuff like equality, homosexuality and the hard-hitting stuff like that? If so I'm all for it. Since Pixar have relaxed on the heavy themes in recent years it'll be nice for another animation studio to start

If you read that really hateful homophobic comment for this on the main page, I'm glad people are defending the film and rallying against that one commentator.

The best thing is that Laika is very laidback about their approach. They are taking it very causally and not being overbearing about it. I like it. Because in time, that's how it's going to be generations from now..acceptence...well..ideally.

It looks like it could be a fun film to watch.

Why did Universal go all scorched earth on every single video featuring footage from this teaser?

If it's on YouTube, it's just an automatic process. They seem to be allowing videos now though.

I'm really digging the work that Laika Studios is doing. "Paranorman" was a kids movie, but it had a lot of mature content that was handled well. Funny enough, it had a gay character in it as well.

Laika is the Pixar of stop motion films. They're putting effort out there to put their name out there as a brand, especially for this sort of animation.

The best thing is that Laika is very laidback about their approach. They are taking it very causally and not being overbearing about it. I like it. Because in time, that's how it's going to be generations from now..acceptence...well..ideally.

Kind of like how they handled the gay character in ParaNorman. It wasn't blatant, just this little twist at the end.

That making of trailer was beautiful. Can't believe there's still a year till this comes out!

This is the one thing that I hope the Oscars will recognize and not just go for the obvious.

For example, for the Oscars this year, while I hope Frozen wins for Best Picture, I would love it more if The Wind Rises wins instead. Sometimes, it feels like the Oscars are shortsighted on animated flicks and have certain obligations to make, hence of their safe choices. I never too notice of this until Brave won last year.

With Laika and Studio Ghibli maybe it's time the Oscars think outside of the box.

That's also a spambot, not an actual person.

This is the one thing that I hope the Oscars will recognize and not just go for the obvious.

For example, for the Oscars this year, while I hope Frozen wins for Best Picture, I would love it more if The Wind Rises wins instead. Sometimes, it feels like the Oscars are shortsighted on animated flicks and have certain obligations to make, hence of their safe choices. I never too notice of this until Brave won last year.

With Laika and Studio Ghibli maybe it's time the Oscars think outside of the box.

Miyazaki had won before. If anything awarding his last film would come off as far more of an "obligation." Oddly enough Frozen was the first Disney Animation Studios film to win Best Animated Feature.

Wreck it Ralph or ParaNorman should have won over Brave though. I liked Brave but those films had more inventive animation and stories that were a little more fleshed out.

I agree. I'm actually very conflicted on Brave. I don't waste my time on hating movies, so it's not that. It's the fact that the behind-the-scenes problems were reflective on what happened on the screen; If it felt like too many ideas proposed by more than one person, instead of the original director Brenda Chapman.

Till this day, I hear praises for John Lassister from people like Jennifer Lee (Frozen) so I don't know if it's actually Chapman who was the problem, if she was never on the right page with the Pixar people, or if Pixar was too micromanaging. I know Pixar hasn't said much while Chapman has been very vocal, for obvious reasons.

I didn't like clarion but me and my mom both enjoined par norm last movie I saw had the previews so I hope its good. not really sure what's its about?

Devin Faraci snapped this pic at cinemacon. I wonder if Laika built these suits themselves.

d5c5d454b45b11e3b92612c5b7e56df5_8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"