The Boys Amazon's The Boys General Discussion Thread

I read the first tpb for The Boys and had no interest in continuing with the series. But I'm 4 episodes in and the TV show is a huge improvement. In particular, Starlight's bullying was handled much, much better than the comics.

Shue and Urban are great and Antony Starr is like an deranged Mark Paul Gosselaar. With this and The Tick Season 2 Amazon has been putting out the best super hero shows on television.

I enjoyed. It's a very dark and depraved and somewhat satirical take on superheroes. It's definitely more of a deconstructionist type take.

What if superheroes were real? Except the people that have superpowers, since they are like you and me, are exceptionally flawed and have tons of vices. The people who employ them are big corporations and what happens when bad corporate actors control the superheroes? That's interesting.

Early on, I felt it captured the style of Garth Ennis a lot better than Preacher did. However, in the second half of the season things definitely take a surprising turn. Overall, a solid first season. Will be curious to see how they go along with the changes in Season 2. The second half veers a lot away from the comic story.

I read the first tpb for The Boys and had no interest in continuing with the series. But I'm 4 episodes in and the TV show is a huge improvement. In particular, Starlight's bullying was handled much, much better than the comics.

Shue and Urban are great and Antony Starr is like an deranged Mark Paul Gosselaar. With this and The Tick Season 2 Amazon has been putting out the best super hero shows on television.

Yeah except for the fact they forking cancelled The Tick which was stupid. But Antony Starr was great in this show basically playing an evil Superman/Captain America mash-up.

I was really happy to see Elisabeth Shue in something prominent again since I think she was basically semi-retired. I hope this continues and we can see her in more material again.

Just finished the season, they changed a lot from the comics which makes it interesting for Season 2.

Read the first two volumes of the comic prior to watching this. Definitely not a 100% faithful adaptation but it’s definitely a damn good show. Burned right through the season and now I’m stuck in the painful waiting game.

Hoping The Watchmen series is as good.

Just finished it and I really enjoyed it. It was a refreshing take on Superheroes and one that I am a bit surprised isn't brought up more in DC/Marvel.

Glad it's already been renewed for a 2nd season.

Absolutely brilliant translation. Loved the digs at both the corporate monster that is Disney and the willing eye the populace turns away from what they do in order to keep themselves in ignorance so they can support them.

I've only seen one episode (you guys binge too quick). :p

Suffice to say, I'm loving it already, and they certainly jumped right into it with that first death scene. I do feel some of the costumes look a little tacky at the moment, though that may be down to the studio or the cooperate aspect of the heroes management within the show - who's to know?

I'm actually suprised too that DC/WB haven't gotten a little ... irritated by this, cause it's a blatant copy of Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and the Flash (at least in terms of their skills and abilities) as four of the seven here. Knowing how strict WB can be with their characters, I'd have expected some sort of lawsuit, though am obviously glad that isn't the case.

As stated, only one episode in, though I hope there's more genuine heroes in this show somewhere like what Starlight (appears) to be - genuinely good.

Suffice to say, I'm loving it already, and they certainly jumped right into it with that first death scene. I do feel some of the costumes look a little tacky at the moment, though that may be down to the studio or the cooperate aspect of the heroes management within the show - who's to know?

I'm actually suprised too that DC/WB haven't gotten a little ... irritated by this, cause it's a blatant copy of Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and the Flash (at least in terms of their skills and abilities) as four of the seven here. Knowing how strict WB can be with their characters, I'd have expected some sort of lawsuit, though am obviously glad that isn't the case.

As stated, only one episode in, though I hope there's more genuine heroes in this show somewhere like what Starlight (appears) to be - genuinely good.

Actually the first 6 issues were published by Wildstorm (DC). DC ended up cancelling the rest of the series because they felt it was too "Anti-Superhero" but gave the creators back the rights and let them take the comic somewhere else. They basically have a analogue to every DC/Marvel hero though.

Doubt they even have time for the rest of the supers because this show really gets you hooked on the small few. Don't think I've ever enjoyed deviations from the source I actually read as much as this.

I do have to wonder if Jimmy Fallon knew how exactly his spot was going to be used...

Just finished The Boys. Eight episodes with zero filler. Absolutely fantastic. It's the best comic book TV show I've ever seen.

The Deep: I didn't do it on porpoise.
I agree. Easily the best live action television adaptation I have seen.

DC wouldn't really be able to do anything. They don't own heat vision, warrior women, Speed, or men talking to fish lol.

Half way through the first season. fork yes.

Just finished The Boys. Eight episodes with zero filler. Absolutely fantastic. It's the best comic book TV show I've ever seen.

The Deep: I didn't do it on porpoise.
I always find it interesting when people mention "filler" for television shows based on comics. Not that I have never seen filler on these shows. But what qualifies as filler for some is interesting to me. It is as if anything that isn't tied to the main narrative counts, which just doesn't make sense to me. Some of the most important episodes on television show might be considered "filler". Character work and "one shots" that tell a story, are not filler imo. Like, I wouldn't say there was any filler on the 39 episodes of Daredevil.

I'm only two episodes in and yeah it's pretty great so far. Honestly, I think this makes Watchmen and Kick-ash look like Sesame Street in comparison lol. This is such a dark, gritty and grimmy world this show is set in, and I'm loving every minute of it. They aren't shying away from any of the real life consequences this kind of stuff would have on the world and that aspect alone is very interesting. Also, it's just awesome seeing Karl Urban and Elizabeth Shue getting more work nowadays in movies and tv shows and they are just fantastic in this so far.

The guy playing Homelander is great too and I love the fact that he's somekind of psychotic and disturbed version of Captain America/Superman.

Completed them all the episodes. Very happy with what I saw. I've read the comics and I fully support all the changes. In fact I think they improved the materiel in certain places. Can't wait to see how the story continues.

I loved it. Binged the whole season. The only thing that bothered me was -
I wish Homelander didn't kill Stillwell at the end,
I was really enjoying Elisabeth Shue in this. Anthony Starr was really a STAR . I've never seen him before, but he was exceptional. Also, the Deep has an amazing arc in the show.

This show has been incredibly satisfying thus far. It's easily one of the year's best.

Very impressed with the cast as well, the standouts being Erin Moriarty, Jack Quaid, Karl Urban and Elisabeth Shue.

I always find it interesting when people mention "filler" for television shows based on comics. Not that I have never seen filler on these shows. But what qualifies as filler for some is interesting to me. It is as if anything that isn't tied to the main narrative counts, which just doesn't make sense to me. Some of the most important episodes on television show might be considered "filler". Character work and "one shots" that tell a story, are not filler imo. Like, I wouldn't say there was any filler on the 39 episodes of Daredevil.

I enjoyed DD, but there was lots of what I would consider to be filler in that series. Conversations that are repeated multiple times over the course of the season and or series. Long winded stories that ramble on. The Karen Page Origins episode.

The Boys moves forward like a frikkin ' shark. I spent zero time looking at my phone, unlike DD. Lots of great character moments, but extremely well paced and never boring. I'm hoping the Marvel Disney Plus shows take a similar approach. But maybe with a little less skull crushing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"