The Boys Amazon's The Boys General Discussion Thread

An example of the "No Filler!" approach came in the episode in which Annie confronts Mama January. If this were a Marvel Netflix show Mama would have given a long drawn out speech with an anecdotal childhood story involving Granny January:

"I had saved up my allowance money for the most beautiful gingham dress that was displayed in Clark's Consignment shop downtown - it's was where the Vape shop is now. I brought it home and told your grandmother I wanted to enter L'il Miss East Bumf***.........and she laughed at me, Annie. She laughed at me!"

With The Boys you get a quick confrontation and a speedy exit. Much more realistic imo.

Just finished The Boys. Eight episodes with zero filler. Absolutely fantastic. It's the best comic book TV show I've ever seen.

The Deep: I didn't do it on porpoise.
Completely agree.

Just finished it; really, really good stuff. Agree with others on it being the new champ of comic book TV; liked it more than Daredevil and Doom Patrol, who were my previous two favorites. As far as niche superhero shows go, Amazon Prime beat Netflix since this trumped Umbrella Academy too.

I enjoyed DD, but there was lots of what I would consider to be filler in that series. Conversations that are repeated multiple times over the course of the season and or series. Long winded stories that ramble on. The Karen Page Origins episode.

The Boys moves forward like a frikkin ' shark. I spent zero time looking at my phone, unlike DD. Lots of great character moments, but extremely well paced and never boring. I'm hoping the Marvel Disney Plus shows take a similar approach. But maybe with a little less skull crushing.
For me, character work is never filler. Especially not on a television show, where you really do have the ability to show, not tell.

If what you stated is filler, I'd say The Boys already has plenty of "filler". I really, really like the show, but I have felt the length of the episodes. They aren't short, and there has been a bit of "repetition" by the standard you laid out imo. I have "looked away" from the screen, as we get another Homelander scene that pretty much says the same as the last Homelander scene. Same with the Deep and Shue's character. The characters that orbit the Seven's storyline aren't exactly subtle. Which I a definitely cool with, but that also leads to a lot of scenes hammering home a well established message. Heck you could say the same thing about the Boys as well, with their hijinks.

I personally hope the Disney Plus shows work as they are intended. As television shows, not movies. I get we live in a binge culture, but I still like my television shows to be television shows.

Yeah, if I would have a criticism, is that going for the full hour is not exactly the best idea. I love what I have gotten so far, but the episodes feel long, which is because they are.

Yeah, if I would have a criticism, is that going for the full hour is not exactly the best idea. I love what I have gotten so far, but the episodes feel long, which is because they are.
It feels perfect to me. It has a long and dark story to tell. Every character gets a moment. I like that their are taking the time to show what every character feels because if they follow the comics, it's gonna be a looong and sad ride.

Well I'm up to episode four now, and if I've learned one thing from watching this show, it's that when transporting Dolphins, always ensure they're properly strapped in. :woo:

I've only seen one episode (you guys binge too quick). :p

Suffice to say, I'm loving it already, and they certainly jumped right into it with that first death scene. I do feel some of the costumes look a little tacky at the moment, though that may be down to the studio or the cooperate aspect of the heroes management within the show - who's to know?

The costumes are a tad overdone, but I think it fits the show. And I would say Homelander's outfit is a huge improvement on the SHAZAM! muscle suits.

For me, character work is never filler. Especially not on a television show, where you really do have the ability to show, not tell.

If what you stated is filler, I'd say The Boys already has plenty of "filler". I really, really like the show, but I have felt the length of the episodes. They aren't short, and there has been a bit of "repetition" by the standard you laid out imo. I have "looked away" from the screen, as we get another Homelander scene that pretty much says the same as the last Homelander scene. Same with the Deep and Shue's character. The characters that orbit the Seven's storyline aren't exactly subtle. Which I a definitely cool with, but that also leads to a lot of scenes hammering home a well established message. Heck you could say the same thing about the Boys as well, with their hijinks.

For me, Mr. Starr's Highlander was so compelling I couldn't look away. I was always waiting for him to dish out the laser eyes. And Shue was cold and creepy, but I was (wisely) concerned for her well being. I was pretty much glued to the screen.

The Boys was a bit darker than I typically prefer, but there was a nice amount of yuks (Sandusky! Billy Zane! Every insult out of Butcher's mouth!) to balance the bleakness. Great music, too. All in all an A+ effort that I hope Marvel studios can match.

7 episodes in now and loving every minute of it.
By far the best superhero (super anti-hero?) TV show I've seen.
1 more to go. 8 episodes goes by way too fast.

I got a chuckle from the random cameos. I mean, what has anyone seen Tara Reid in lately that doesn't have Sharknado in the title?:funny:

Holy crap Season 2 needs to come out as soon as possible. That ending has me completely amped to see what comes next. I really really enjoyed this show, although I don't know if I'd call it the best superhero tv show ever. As of right now I'd still put shows like Doom Patrol and Daredevil over it, but that could actually change down the line after a couple of re-watches.

F***in loved every minute of this. It takes everything great about Kick Ass and Watchmen and put it into a blender. To me this show is right up there with Legion and Daredevil.

tumblr_pvca0naKel1rrkahjo2_540.gif

tumblr_pvca0naKel1rrkahjo3_540.gif

tumblr_pvca0naKel1rrkahjo4_540.gif

tumblr_pvca0naKel1rrkahjo5_540.gif

tumblr_pvca0naKel1rrkahjo6_540.gif

It's a good show, but it's basically an extreme Watchmen and I still prefer the latter. Highlights are definitely Kyle Urban, Anthony Starr, and that cliffhanger they gave us. For me there were stretches where this show dragged, but the real problem was the lack of evolution by The Boys themselves.

Everyone is great in this, but Starr needs highlighting as he is chillingly brilliant as Homelander. On the surface it may seem like a straightforward role but it's so nuanced and multi-faceted; Starr gets the balance required just right.

This series has so, so many great moments - be it horrific or funny. The funniest ones for me have involved The Deep - the dolphin scene made me chuckle but the one that genuinely made me laugh out loud [and rewind to watch again and again] was Crawford's reaction to the lobster's fate in the supermarket.

They seem to have changed the whole Butcher's wife/Homelander/Black Noir thing [anyone who's read the comic knows what I'm talking about] - I hope it doesn't mean that they've changed Noir's identity too, but the power set he showed in his fight with Kimiko doesn't exactly give me much hope.

This was indeed excellent. So many great characters and these ''supes'' are so f****d up. Homelander and his Übermensch mentality in particular.

Agree with @Brian Braddock about Antony Starr. He was the MVP for me.

Homelander is the Evil Superman we deserve. Seriously, you see the effect of him growing up in complete isolation from a normal life, raised as a test tube subject - contently devoid of empathy and as a huge narcissist with massive mommy issues, which is why it's so brilliant that all their manufactured sups had families or at least one parent. They just changed the parameters of their experiment, and while none of them are real good guys, the rest don't come of as complete psychopaths and were able to create actual emotional connections to other people.

Question for people that know the comic book material. Do we think the Boys will get..
..there compound V injections like they do in the comics? I quite like that there just regular humans. (Another change from the books that works), but I would like to see them build up to a moment where the boy's are forced to inject themselves. Maybe they need to a save there lives and Billy needs to become the thing he hates to continue his battle against the Supes.

Just finished episode 5 (stupid issues with the app on my TV), man, they sure as hell nailed those evangelical events. And goddamn if Homelander isn't giving me flashbacks to 2001...

Having just finished the entire season, I have to say it works on so many levels. I definitely wasn't expecting it to be this layered, thrilling and funny all at the same time. Love the chemistry between the various cast members as well; just about everyone brought it and then some. Can't wait for season 2.

Question for people that know the comic book material. Do we think the Boys will get..
..there compound V injections like they do in the comics? I quite like that there just regular humans. (Another change from the books that works), but I would like to see them build up to a moment where the boy's are forced to inject themselves. Maybe they need to a save there lives and Billy needs to become the thing he hates to continue his battle against the Supes.

I think we'll see that somewhere down the line. One of the thing that turned me off of the comic book series was that it was hard to root for The Boys. Having them punching waaay out of their league made them much more lovable.

I loved it. Binged the whole season. The only thing that bothered me was -
I wish Homelander didn't kill Stillwell at the end,
I was really enjoying Elisabeth Shue in this. Anthony Starr was really a STAR . I've never seen him before, but he was exceptional. Also, the Deep has an amazing arc in the show.

Starr's a New Zealand-based television actor. Pretty much the only thing he did in the States was American Gothic, a short-lived mystery drama series from 2016. He played Garrett Hawthorne.

MV5BMjIzNzA2MDM1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTQwMzY3OTE@._V1_.jpg

A little extra trivia for you: Jack Quaid who plays Hughie is the son of Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"