The Brand New And Improved "Heroes vs. Villains: Marvel" RPG OOC/Sign-Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should probably read the the posts in the thread before randomly posting stupid questions.Should probably read the the posts in the thread before randomly posting stupid questions.Should probably read the the posts in the thread before randomly posting stupid questions.

MARVEL RPG Application

Screen Name: Peter Parker

Character you would like to play: Wolverine AKA Logan

Powers:
Wolverine is a mutant with a number of both natural and artificial improvements to his physiology. His primary mutant ability is an accelerated healing factor that regenerates damaged or destroyed tissue. Wolverine also has superhumanly acute senses of sight, smell, and hearing. He can see with perfect clarity at greater distances than an ordinary human, even in extreme darkness. His hearing is enhanced in a similar manner, allowing him to hear sounds ordinary humans can't and hear those sounds which are farther away. His acute senses make him an expert tracker, able to follow a given target for extremely long distances.

Technologically, Wolverine's entire skeleton, including his claws, has been molecularly infused with adamantium, rendering it practically indestructible. Wolverine's healing factor also affects a number of his physical attributes by increasing them to superhuman levels. His stamina is sufficiently heightened to the point he can exert himself for numerous hours. Wolverine's agility and reflexes are also enhanced to levels that are beyond the physical limits of the finest human athlete. Due to his healing factor's constant regenerative qualities, he can push his muscles beyond the limits of the human body without injury. This, coupled by the constant demand placed on his muscles by over one hundred pounds of adamantium, grants him some degree of superhuman strength. Since the presence of the adamantium negates the natural structural limits of his bones.

Three reasons why you have chosen that character:

1. I've always been interested in portraying Wolverine in a more detailed way. I didn't have a memorable run with him last time I picked him up (I'm not sure he made it to the IC thread). I think I can do the character justice, and this game seems to be limping along.

2. I've seen the trailer for X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and I've got a certain degree of fanboy fever about it, which is certainly influencing my desire to play as him. Specifically, I want to portray whichever incarnation of Wolverine says, "I'm coming for blood. No code of conduct, no law."

3. I've been in this game for two seasons, and have yet to find a character with whom I can actually stick. Am I insane or something?

Write two complete sentences using proper English grammar explaining what you think you can bring to the RPG: I can bring an experienced role player who enjoys writing and story-telling. With my unique narrative and literary style, I think I can write a Wolverine who's fun to read.

How many times do you intend on posting a DAY IN the RPG: I'm not especially active in this game, so I'm not sure. I'd like to think at least once, certainly more if the action is good.

Please provide a sample post in the style that you plan to write your character in (must be at least 3 paragraphs long and contain at least 1 line of dialogue):
WolverineLogoClear.gif

"Logan. Don't leave." Charles Xavier said, rolling along the carpet lining the mansion. "You have a place here, we can help you."

"You're a good guy, Chuck." Logan muttered as he pushed open the doors to the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters, walking steadily towards his bike. He paused when he reached the Harley and looked over his shoulder. "But I've got to find my own answers."

He mounted the bike as Xavier looked at him silently, rubbing his temples.

"You'll be over my shoulder the whole time, anyway."

The engine roared to life as Logan looked at the open duffle bag thrown over his shoulder. His worn, brown costume lay inside, the lenses of the mask staring up at him vacantly.

"Where will you go?" Charles asked.

"Dunno. I'll find someone, anyone from Weapon X. See if I can put the pieces together."

"We'll be here when you get back." Xavier said, wheeling backwards into the mansion.

"I know you will be, Chuck." Logan said as the doors slammed shut. "I know you will be."

Do you know how to post pictures on the hype boards:
188877-28181-wolverine_super.jpg

marvel rpg application

screen name: peter parker

character you would like to play: wolverine aka logan

powers:
wolverine is a mutant with a number of both natural and artificial improvements to his physiology. His primary mutant ability is an accelerated healing factor that regenerates damaged or destroyed tissue. Wolverine also has superhumanly acute senses of sight, smell, and hearing. He can see with perfect clarity at greater distances than an ordinary human, even in extreme darkness. His hearing is enhanced in a similar manner, allowing him to hear sounds ordinary humans can't and hear those sounds which are farther away. His acute senses make him an expert tracker, able to follow a given target for extremely long distances.

Technologically, wolverine's entire skeleton, including his claws, has been molecularly infused with adamantium, rendering it practically indestructible. Wolverine's healing factor also affects a number of his physical attributes by increasing them to superhuman levels. His stamina is sufficiently heightened to the point he can exert himself for numerous hours. Wolverine's agility and reflexes are also enhanced to levels that are beyond the physical limits of the finest human athlete. Due to his healing factor's constant regenerative qualities, he can push his muscles beyond the limits of the human body without injury. This, coupled by the constant demand placed on his muscles by over one hundred pounds of adamantium, grants him some degree of superhuman strength. Since the presence of the adamantium negates the natural structural limits of his bones.

three reasons why you have chosen that character:

1. i've always been interested in portraying wolverine in a more detailed way. I didn't have a memorable run with him last time i picked him up (i'm not sure he made it to the ic thread). I think i can do the character justice, and this game seems to be limping along.

2. i've seen the trailer for x-men origins: Wolverine, and i've got a certain degree of fanboy fever about it, which is certainly influencing my desire to play as him. Specifically, i want to portray whichever incarnation of wolverine says, "i'm coming for blood. No code of conduct, no law."

3. i've been in this game for two seasons, and have yet to find a character with whom i can actually stick. Am i insane or something?

write two complete sentences using proper english grammar explaining what you think you can bring to the rpg: i can bring an experienced role player who enjoys writing and story-telling. With my unique narrative and literary style, i think i can write a wolverine who's fun to read.

how many times do you intend on posting a day in the rpg: i'm not especially active in this game, so i'm not sure. I'd like to think at least once, certainly more if the action is good.

please provide a sample post in the style that you plan to write your character in (must be at least 3 paragraphs long and contain at least 1 line of dialogue):
wolverinelogoclear.gif

"logan. Don't leave." charles xavier said, rolling along the carpet lining the mansion. "you have a place here, we can help you."

"you're a good guy, chuck." logan muttered as he pushed open the doors to the xavier school for gifted youngsters, walking steadily towards his bike. He paused when he reached the harley and looked over his shoulder. "but i've got to find my own answers."

he mounted the bike as xavier looked at him silently, rubbing his temples.

"you'll be over my shoulder the whole time, anyway."

the engine roared to life as logan looked at the open duffle bag thrown over his shoulder. His worn, brown costume lay inside, the lenses of the mask staring up at him vacantly.

"where will you go?" charles asked.

"dunno. I'll find someone, anyone from weapon x. See if i can put the pieces together."

"we'll be here when you get back." xavier said, wheeling backwards into the mansion.

"i know you will be, chuck." logan said as the doors slammed shut. "i know you will be."

do you know how to post pictures on the hype boards:
188877-28181-wolverine_super.jpg
you are not allowed two hereossss
muahaha

Holy heroic headjambs, Batman! :wow:

One RPer, two heroes, what to do?! what to do?!

Hey guys,

I hate to be playing Devil's Advocate, or screwing around with people just as we're getting the ball rollling.... but could I perhaps make some suggestions about the nature of this reboot, before we get too embroiled in the restart?

It would be easy to rush into this, but I really think we need to discuss what we're wanting to achieve with this reboot. Why are we doing it? These are the key reasons that immediately spring to mind:

1. Nobody is playing the Marvel RPG anymore
2. Continuity is a confusing mess

So, in doing a reboot, we need something which definitely resolves both these problems. Namely, we need to make the game appeal to new players as well as existing ones to boost membership, AND offer a simple, accessible continuity. I think by achieving 2, we'll go a long way towards bringing 1 to fruition.

As a result, this is what I propose. I'm a bit behind on the debate on the subject, and not sure if a definitive timeline has been approved, but we need, right at the top of the OOC intro, and idea of this game's continuity. People are saying make it pre-Civil War, or pre-Secret Invasion, but I disagree. This needs to be a game we can pimp out on the Marvel board, and have people with zero RPG knowledge think they would be welcome to just come along and join. We need to set the game in the "present", the cut-off point should be NOW.

So, we've established this game is set right now, in the Dark Reign era of Marvel. This means any new player could go - "LOOK, an RPG! COOL!" And, if their favourite character is free, they could rip his/her characterisation straight out of the latest issue of whatever comic he/she is free, and so their portrayal feels fresh and relevant, rather than have them forced to backtrack and retell the past few months/years of development in catch-up mode before they're allowed to have any fun. I'd say there'd be no quicker way to put new players off.

That's not saying we have to completely follow Marvel's continuity. Again, we just have to clearly mark continuity deviations in the OOC intro. Just keep them to the essential minimum. IE, One More Day/Brand New Day never happened in our continuity, or Thor's recent history went down the way bkehdr laid it out rather than how it worked out in the comics. Whether Captain America is Steve Rogers or Bucky Barnes should be down to the discretion of whatever player ends up picking him up.

I also don't think we should be in a rush to start the IC thread. We should really go on a marketing offensive here. Perhaps, with mod permission, even advertise the game on the Marvel board, drum up fresh interest and new blood? I think perhaps that's what this reboot needs to be truly successful more than anything else.

Girlfriends are a man's best friend, screw the dog
:D

Yea, so one less RPer you have to worry about hitting on you. I saw you post your pic in the old OOC thread. You just made yourself a target. :oldrazz:

Okay, now that the OOC thread is up and running. Shall me hammer out what is and isn't cannon? I liked Harl's idea of it post-CW and altering what happenes and didn't happen. Obviously, I'm in favor of Spidey not revealing his identity and no Brand New Day.

Hey guys,

I hate to be playing Devil's Advocate, or screwing around with people just as we're getting the ball rollling.... but could I perhaps make some suggestions about the nature of this reboot, before we get too embroiled in the restart?

It would be easy to rush into this, but I really think we need to discuss what we're wanting to achieve with this reboot. Why are we doing it? These are the key reasons that immediately spring to mind:

1. Nobody is playing the Marvel RPG anymore
2. Continuity is a confusing mess

So, in doing a reboot, we need something which definitely resolves both these problems. Namely, we need to make the game appeal to new players as well as existing ones to boost membership, AND offer a simple, accessible continuity. I think by achieving 2, we'll go a long way towards bringing 1 to fruition.

As a result, this is what I propose. I'm a bit behind on the debate on the subject, and not sure if a definitive timeline has been approved, but we need, right at the top of the OOC intro, and idea of this game's continuity. People are saying make it pre-Civil War, or pre-Secret Invasion, but I disagree. This needs to be a game we can pimp out on the Marvel board, and have people with zero RPG knowledge think they would be welcome to just come along and join. We need to set the game in the "present", the cut-off point should be NOW.

So, we've established this game is set right now, in the Dark Reign era of Marvel. This means any new player could go - "LOOK, an RPG! COOL!" And, if their favourite character is free, they could rip his/her characterisation straight out of the latest issue of whatever comic he/she is free, and so their portrayal feels fresh and relevant, rather than have them forced to backtrack and retell the past few months/years of development in catch-up mode before they're allowed to have any fun. I'd say there'd be no quicker way to put new players off.

That's not saying we have to completely follow Marvel's continuity. Again, we just have to clearly mark continuity deviations in the OOC intro. Just keep them to the essential minimum. IE, One More Day/Brand New Day never happened in our continuity, or Thor's recent history went down the way bkehdr laid it out rather than how it worked out in the comics. Whether Captain America is Steve Rogers or Bucky Barnes should be down to the discretion of whatever player ends up picking him up.

I also don't think we should be in a rush to start the IC thread. We should really go on a marketing offensive here. Perhaps, with mod permission, even advertise the game on the Marvel board, drum up fresh interest and new blood? I think perhaps that's what this reboot needs to be truly successful more than anything else.

Wow...thanks for taking what I just said and making me look like an ass. :cmad:

I don't know about including Dark Reign into the fold. Mostly cause, I don't know jack about it.

Keyser does deliver one HUGE point: new players, most likely, will try to draw on stuff at least post-Civil War on instinct. As to whether to tell them pre-Civil War is the starting point is bad? Hard to say.

Personally I don't think making everything before Civil War would be terrible for new players.

Well, I haven't read Marvel regularly for years, so Dark Reign, Secret Invasion, Civil War, House of M... it's all pretty much a mystery to me anyway. I would have to do some serious Wiki-ing if I do come back, and especially if I pick up the character I'm considering.

Which brings me to another point which has likely been raised. Is it a clean slate on the roster now? Is every character up for grabs again?

Yea, so one less RPer you have to worry about hitting on you. I saw you post your pic in the old OOC thread. You just made yourself a target. :oldrazz:
Oh.
Well if anyone flirts with me i can take care of them.
I'm engaged.

Well, I haven't read Marvel regularly for years, so Dark Reign, Secret Invasion, Civil War, House of M... it's all pretty much a mystery to me anyway. I would have to do some serious Wiki-ing if I do come back, and especially if I pick up the character I'm considering.

Which brings me to another point which has likely been raised. Is it a clean slate on the roster now? Is every character up for grabs again?

Unless a specific player has dnied said character stays dead.

Some of us mere mortals aren't totally up to date on the current Marvel continuity...

The thing is, the reboot is already bringing in new players (EG. Harely) and players that wouldn't have joined the RPG in the current state it was in (EG. Me).

I don't think starting the continuity from where the books are now is a good move a lot of people just don't read comics regularly anymore. I know I'm not up to date on whats happening in the Marvel Universe, the last thing I read was Civil War.

I think the picking and choosing of characters continuity is the best way. Pre-Civil War, Pre-House of M etc. No world changing events should have taken place.

The thing is, the reboot is already bringing in new players (EG. Harely) and players that wouldn't have joined the RPG in the current state it was in (EG. Me).

I don't think starting the continuity from where the books are now is a good move a lot of people just don't read comics regularly anymore. I know I'm not up to date on whats happening in the Marvel Universe, the last thing I read was Civil War.

I think the picking and choosing of characters continuity is the best way. Pre-Civil War, Pre-House of M etc. No world changing events should have taken place.
Hahaa :p

A few things:
- Keyser needs to start making love to me. I completely agree with him. Although I don't think we need to incorporate Dark Reign and Secret Invasion just yet.
- Front page needs changing. If we reboot, let's go fresh completely. Lose the roster right now, the greatest hits and the application needs reworking (this is not season VII).
- On that note, I vehemently oppose the 'veteran's application'. Besides the fact that making a distinction is unfair, being a veteran RP'er says nothing about the ability to play a certain character. To take a page from the DC RPG a season or so back, and sorry to Byrd for bringing this up, but Byrd - while a veteran - would've been completely not right for Connor Hawke (second Green Arrow) based on his sample post at that time.
- I will be returning to the game, although don't count on a lot of activity in this month once I go back to Wales to complete this semester of study (going back the 5th).

I know I'm contradicting my previous post now, but your comments here have given me an idea for how we could approach continuity.

What if we took the "All-Star" approach to continuity? Where it's not necessarily a restart, a la 1U or Ultimate, but we boil characters down to their basic essence, their key character beats. The RPG a story that's somewhat "out of time", where we can acknowledge events long ago or recent as having happened, but we're starting with a clean slate.

Just bring characters back to their most identifiable forms, the ways we know they're all going to work their way back to eventually anyway. And rather than having to deal with Marvel's BIG EVENTS, we can set about starting our own, free of the constraints of continuity.

But doesn't that mean that this is basically another Dawn of Marvels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"