• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Brave and the Bold News and Discussion Thread

I don’t think Gunn writing means he’ll direct at all. Plus the two main headliner heroes being made be the same ****ing guy sounds like the most miserably dull route possible, why would anyone want such a lack of creative diversity? I would die for Matt Reeves but that doesn’t mean I’d want him to also make Superman.

I think it was just totally fake and not worth paying attention to.

I don’t think Gunn writing means he’ll direct at all. Plus the two main headliner heroes being made be the same ****ing guy sounds like the most miserably dull route possible, why would anyone want such a lack of creative diversity? I would die for Matt Reeves but that doesn’t mean I’d want him to also make Superman.
He's such a big fan of Batman I can't see a scenario where he'd spend like 6-9 months writing, having all sorts of ideas for the character, and then not want to direct it. It's actually inconceivable to me that'd be the case. And you may have sort of a point but really... are there really /that/ many better options that are actually realistic for this?

He's such a big fan of Batman I can't see a scenario where he'd spend like 6-9 months writing, having all sorts of ideas for the character, and then not want to direct it. It's actually inconceivable to me that'd be the case. And you may have sort of a point but really... are there really /that/ many better options that are actually realistic for this?
There are tons of good directors out there, dude. Especially the kind of middle of the road talent Gunn has been hiring thus far. Gunn’s whole thing thus far seems to be hiring people who can do styles adjacent to his so I don’t think him writing something and hiring someone to make it feels out of character.

Who else would you want to direct other than James Gunn?

There are tons of good directors out there, dude. Especially the kind of middle of the road talent Gunn has been hiring thus far. Gunn’s whole thing thus far seems to be hiring people who can do styles adjacent to his so I don’t think him writing something and hiring someone to make it feels out of character.
What are some suggestions?

Also yeah but like. It isn't about styles is that I think he literally wants to be out there shooting Batman himself, and designing everything in pre production with his team etc lol I genuinely don't think he'd be able to resist that if he writes it, especially as he does seem to have genuine fun with the filmmaking process.

Yeah he's a solid and realistic pick. The next predator movie will probably be done before this starts up too.

What are some suggestions?

Also yeah but like. It isn't about styles is that I think he literally wants to be out there shooting Batman himself, and designing everything in pre production with his team etc lol I genuinely don't think he'd be able to resist that if he writes it, especially as he does seem to have genuine fun with the filmmaking process.
Trachtenberg is a nice, realistic one for sure. I deeply dislike Drew Goddard but he seems like exactly the type Gunn wants to be making these movies. Travis Knight would do well. If we're pilfering Matt Reeves's runner ups the actual good choice out of them would be Matt Ross who is uniquely well suited to the heart of this particular story. Were Mangold not doing Swamp Thing he'd be a natural choice here.

I would also have zero issue with them getting a TV guy for this. There are a number of solid to great TV directors who are just as capable if not moreso than guys Gunn has hired so far like Muschietti or Gillespie.

If we wanna do a Feige and pilfer up and coming indie darlings then Sean Durkin's handling of a big, messy, complicated family in The Iron Claw makes him better qualified than most. I'd kinda be gunning for someone who has experience and skill with that subject matter on this.

Trachtenberg is a nice, realistic one for sure. I deeply dislike Drew Goddard but he seems like exactly the type Gunn wants to be making these movies. Travis Knight would do well. If we're pilfering Matt Reeves's runner ups the actual good choice out of them would be Matt Ross who is uniquely well suited to the heart of this particular story. Were Mangold not doing Swamp Thing he'd be a natural choice here.

I would also have zero issue with them getting a TV guy for this. There are a number of solid to great TV directors who are just as capable if not moreso than guys Gunn has hired so far like Muschietti or Gillespie.

It feels beyond hacky but also.... Jonathan Nolan DID say he wanted to do more Batman lmao And he was always more into comics than his brother.

It feels beyond hacky but also.... Jonathan Nolan DID say he wanted to do more Batman lmao And he was always more into comics than his brother.
Oh, I'd be mega down for Jonathan Nolan to do this tbh. I feel like he'd lean even more heavily into the silly Bond stuff than his brother did while still handling all the serious, thoughtful stuff well.

Another name who would frankly be perfect on this, especially because you'd get most of what I think they thought they'd get out of Muschietti except Good: James Wan. He will never, ever do it - I don't really blame him given Lost Kingdom sounded about as fun to make as crucifying your own dick with red hot nails - and I'm not a super fan at all but he'd be fun on this. David Gordon Green is another director who I think would be aces here even if he recently made a very bad movie and his Halloween trilogy (which I really like) is divisive enough that half the people reading this post will want to throw tomatoes at me.

Mike Flanagan is my actual dream Batman movie choice apart from Reeves but I'd only want him to do it if had the same control Matt has and was able to do it with his people. Isn't a very good or natural fit for the more marketable aspects of Morrison's comics which one assumes is what they'll lean into (expecting a lot of Lol It's Funny When Kid Goes Stabby and James Bond antics, not expecting a lot of complex and thought provoking meta fiction). If you gave him Batman: Gothic to adapt it would be the best movie ever but would not be... very accessible lol.

Sure is a shame that Cary Fukunaga is a dirty snow boarding sex pest.

I do love how normally a Batman movie leads to people getting real ambitious about big name, top shelf talent and we're discussing... The most adequate of the adequate lol

What about Martin Campbell? He rebooted Bond twice. Successfully

Plus I love Mask of Zorro lol.

Jordan Vogt-Roberts would be fun.
I remember him being attached to a metal gear movie. I'm surprised that hasn't been turned pitched as an HBO tv show by now.

Do we know the list of directors that were up for the job along with Matt Reeves back in 2017.

Matt Reeves, Matt Ross, Ridley Scott, Gavin O'Connor, George Miller, Denis Villeneuve, and Fede Álvarez

Depending on the new Alien movie is good / performs well financially, Fede Álvarez could be an interesting choice. Otherwise I'd take Miller or Gareth Edwards

Last edited:
George Miller would have been a fun pick for the director's chair after WB sacked Burton too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"