The Brave and the Bold News and Discussion Thread

If Superman isn't beating a movie that had a 45 day window and the aid of decent inflation, we might have to wait until a new timeline before we see the DCU Batman! :weeping:
Well I bring that up because the skepticism that Superman could make that sort of money is not exactly unusual, so I'm not really sure what you're even trying to get at, as usual.

You guys are so weird lol
giphy.gif

Well I bring that up because the skepticism that Superman could make that sort of money is not exactly unusual, so I'm not really sure what you're even trying to get at, as usual.
I'm saying if Superman doesn't get to that number, people on social media will no longer be able to harass James Gunn to fire Andy Muschietti. It's an upsetting possibility I don't want to witness. :weeping:

I'm saying if Superman doesn't get to that number, people on social media will no longer be able to harass James Gunn to fire Andy Muschietti. It's an upsetting possibility I don't want to witness. :weeping:
In the hypothetical scenario it does flop they'd all get fired at the same time so that wouldn't be necessary. But I don't think it will and I think people understimate that film a lot.

In the hypothetical scenario it does flop they'd all get fired at the same time so that wouldn't be necessary. But I don't think it will and I think people understimate that film a lot.
What's being underestimated? Expectations the movie isn't going to breakout, when no Superman flick has broken out since 2, are reasonable. Especially during a period where the only thing making money for DC are Batman flicks.

It might catch fire, but there is no reason to expect it to. Expect MOS numbers and hope it's enough for a sequel. For Batman fans, there is an ongoing series already.

What's being underestimated? Expectations the movie isn't going to breakout, when no Superman flick has broken out since 2, are reasonable. Especially during a period where the only thing making money for DC are Batman flicks.

It might catch fire, but there is no reason to expect it to. Expect MOS numbers and hope it's enough for a sequel. For Batman fans, there is an ongoing series already.
These are my reasons:

Here's the way I think Superman can make around the same or potentially more than The Batman.

Adjusted for inflation opening for recent Superman films + every Gunn CBM :
SUPERMAN RETURNS 80,014,651.60
MAN OF STEEL 154,394,990
GUARDIANS 1 122,880,186
GUARDIANS 2 184,343,206.37
GUARDIANS 3 118,414,021
THE SUICIDE SQUAD 26,205,415

Take the average of that, which would be: $114,375,411.76

Legs for Gunn's Guardians films.
Guardians 1: 3.54
Guardians 2: 2.66
Guardians 3: 3.03
Average: 3.076666667

And depending on the international/domestic splits, here are a few different scenarios basing on the MoS DOM/INT split and the Guardians films splits:
MAN OF STEEL SPLIT
SUPERMAN (GUARDIANS 1 LEGS)
920,202,176 100%
404,888,958 44%
515,313,219 56%

SUPERMAN (GUARDIANS 2 LEGS)
691,451,353 100%
304,238,595 44%
387,212,758 56%

SUPERMAN (GUARDIANS 3 LEGS)
787,630,676 100%
346,557,498 44%
441,073,179 56%

SUPERMAN (AVERAGE LEGS)
799,761,402 100%
351,895,017 44%
447,866,385 56%
GUARDIANS 1 SPLIT
941,602,227 100%
404,888,958 43%
536,713,269 57%

707,531,617 100%
304,238,595 43%
403,293,022 57%

805,947,669 100%
346,557,498 43%
459,390,171 57%

SUPERMAN (AVERAGE LEGS)
818,360,504 100%
351,895,017 43%
466,465,487 57%
GUARDIANS 2 SPLIT
899,753,239 100%
404,888,958 45%
494,864,282 55%

676,085,767 100%
304,238,595 45%
371,847,172 55%

770,127,773 100%
346,557,498 45%
423,570,275 55%

SUPERMAN (AVERAGE LEGS)
781,988,926 100%
351,895,017 45%
430,093,909 55%

GUARDIANS 3 SPLIT
964,021,328 100%
404,888,958 42%
559,132,370 58%

724,377,608 100%
304,238,595 42%
420,139,013 58%

825,136,899 100%
346,557,498 42%
478,579,402 58%

SUPERMAN (AVERAGE LEGS)
837,845,278 100%
351,895,017 42%
485,950,261 58%
Average for all those results is: $809,489,028

So yes I think it can make as much and more than The Batman if the marketing plays its cards right and Gunn makes a film as crowd pleasing and four-quadrant as his Guardians films (which I think he will)

Of course it depends on two things: The movie actually being great and the marketing being great. But I believe both of those things will be the case. And maybe I'll be wrong, but an actual good, crowd pleasing Superman movie has never been put to the test before. I'm not acting like I know the future, anything can happen and the box office is extremely unpredictable (everyone here, including me, probably has written off films as flops before that ended up grossing a billion or being gigantic successes or vicevera) but to act like anyone here does or that it's a given the DCU is gonna be a failure from the getgo is something I think extremely reactionary. The DCU has a path to success and I think it's dumb to assume it doesn't. Is it a guarantee? Nothing is.

I think the problem is, this is now the third reboot in 20 years. Couple that with the oversaturation of superhero movies and it becomes even harder. Had this been released a few years earlier I think it would have been a bit easier. They wasted too much time not moving on from Cavill and the snyderverse.

What's funny to me, I'm not even that crazy about the guardians films but for some reason I think Gunn will actually be able to pull this off.

I think there is a path to success, but the films have to live on their own merits as an individual movie, which gunn has repeatedly stated will be the case.

These are my reasons:

Of course it depends on two things: The movie actually being great and the marketing being great. But I believe both of those things will be the case. And maybe I'll be wrong, but an actual good, crowd pleasing Superman movie has never been put to the test before. I'm not acting like I know the future, anything can happen and the box office is extremely unpredictable (everyone here, including me, probably has written off films as flops before that ended up grossing a billion or being gigantic successes or vicevera) but to act like anyone here does or that it's a given the DCU is gonna be a failure from the getgo is something I think extremely reactionary. The DCU has a path to success and I think it's dumb to assume it doesn't. Is it a guarantee? Nothing is.
Yeah, a good crowd pleasing Superman movie has never been put to the test before. Especially not a giant cultural milestone from the late 70s/early 80s…

Yeah, a good crowd pleasing Superman movie has never been put to the test before. Especially not a giant cultural milestone from the late 70s/early 80s…
I should've added the word "modern" but you absolutely know what I meant lol

I think they where trying to make a good, crowd pleasing movie with Superman Returns and MoS, tbh…

I think they where trying to make a good, crowd pleasing movie with Superman Returns and MoS, tbh…
Trying but they didn't succeed and in both instances they were extremely misguided. That's my point. A movie that has actually succeded in those fronts hasn't been tested.

I agree, if Superman is a good movie that audiences like it will do well, but if it is a bad movie that audiences dislike, it will do poorly.

I agree, if Superman is a good movie that audiences like it will do well, but if it is a bad movie that audiences dislike, it will do poorly.
There are people that don't think that even a Superman movie liked by audiences can do well in today's climate, that's why I point it out. It's a very common sentiment I've seen expressed over the past year or so.

There are people that don't think that even a Superman movie liked by audiences can do well in today's climate, that's why I point it out. It's a very common sentiment I've seen expressed over the past year or so.
I don’t think it’s impossible but I think there is a genuine disinterest in the character and I don’t think it being a reboot will entirely shake the active dislike of DC as a brand the GA clearly has. It needs to be great first, then it probably needs to move so Jurassic World doesn’t annihilate it, be extremely lucky and be marketed like there’s no tomorrow.

I don’t think it’s impossible but I think there is a genuine disinterest in the character and I don’t think it being a reboot will entirely shake the active dislike of DC as a brand the GA clearly has. It needs to be great first, then it probably needs to move so Jurassic World doesn’t annihilate it, be extremely lucky and be marketed like there’s no tomorrow.
The suit reveal trended #1 worldwide for a while and kept trending in the top 10 for over a day after it was revealed. I think audiences are still interested in Superman and are indeed more receptive to the idea of a new take on Superman than you realize.
Also I think that if the DC dislike didn't affect The Batman that much it won't affect this film either. It's so clearly a reboot disconnected from the DCEU that I think the audience will get it. Even the DCEU remnants (the Peacemaker team, Viola) are not present here.

The suit reveal trended #1 worldwide for a while and kept trending in the top 10 for over a day after it was revealed. I think audiences are still interested in Superman and are indeed more receptive to the idea of a new take on Superman than you realize.
Also I think that if the DC dislike didn't affect The Batman that much it won't affect this film either. It's so clearly a reboot disconnected from the DCEU that I think the audience will get it. Even the DCEU remnants (the Peacemaker team, Viola) are not present here.
I think we all know Batman is viewed as kind of its own thing. Similar to Spider-Man.

I think we all know Batman is viewed as kind of its own thing. Similar to Spider-Man.
Superman has enough notoriety and is enough of an eternal pop culture staple I think he still is seen as his own thing but he hasn't been tested with an actual crowd pleasing movie. If the movie is as good as let's say, Spider-Man 2002 I think it's gonna pop off in a big way.

Superman has enough notoriety and is enough of an eternal pop culture staple I think he still does but he hasn't been tested with an actual crowd pleasing movie. If the movie is as good as let's say, Spider-Man 2002 I think it's gonna pop off in a big way.
And every time there’s been a movie with him the GA rejected the chances of that happening have been damaged. I really feel like MoS was probably Superman’s Moment and it just got severely fumbled.

And every time there’s been a movie with him the GA rejected the chances of that happening have been damaged. I really feel like MoS was probably Superman’s Moment and it just got severely fumbled.
That could be one effect. The other effect is that it could've just made them all the more curious as to what an actual good Superman movie looks like. If the marketing hits the right mark and the movie's great and has good WOM I think that's gonna mobilize people in part because a good Superman movie will seem like an anomaly.

That could be one effect. The other effect is that it could've just made them all the more curious as to what an actual good Superman movie looks like. If the marketing hits the right mark and the movie's great and has good WOM I think that's gonna mobilize people in part because a good Superman movie will seem like an anomaly.
I know I’m beating a dead horse that I don’t like Superman’s cast but I also think there being literally no one in the cast on the GA’s radar unless they’re big fans of Amazon streaming originals is a problem. Say what you will about big names not mattering as much anymore (and it’s true that basically no actor can open a movie with their name alone) but you’ll also notice a pattern that all the movies that become huge hits have beloved casts who are a huge part of the advertising and audiences focus.

I know I’m beating a dead horse that I don’t like Superman’s cast but I also think there being literally no one in the cast on the GA’s radar unless they’re big fans of Amazon streaming originals is a problem. Say what you will about big names not mattering as much anymore (and it’s true that basically no actor can open a movie with their name alone) but you’ll also notice a pattern that all the movies that become huge hits have beloved casts who are a huge part of the advertising and audiences focus.
I do think the fact of the matter is that here Superman IS the star. A very very very large number of people have known about the Superman character for their entire lives; even if they haven't watch any of his stuff or liked his recent movies. And I do think there's something to be said about an IP like that which is so ridiculously recognizable. It doesn't need stars, it already has one most people in the world knows. Marketing and word of mouth should take care of things.

Do you think Alfred and Gordon will be in Brave and the Bold?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"