Arrow The Caity Lotz/Black Canary Thread - Part 1

To me, she's more Dinah than Laurel ever was. And I always found it an injustice, that her character got killed off in such a half assed way, to make way for a second-rate Canary.

Honestly, all the praise for Sara makes me laugh. I remember last year whenwhen season 2 was playing and half of arrow hated her She's called a really popular character by many now, but she sure wasn't all that popular when she was actually on air.

Honestly, all the praise for Sara makes me laugh. I remember last year whenwhen season 2 was playing and half of arrow hated her She's called a really popular character by many now, but she sure wasn't all that popular when she was actually on air.

Sounds like a revision of history there. Last season nobody could STAND Laurel except a handful of loyalists. There was pretty much praise for Sara across the board. Even the Laurel supporters were not very harsh on Sara for the most part.

Sounds like a revision of history there. Last season nobody could STAND Laurel except a handful of loyalists. There was pretty much praise for Sara across the board. Even the Laurel supporters were not very harsh on Sara for the most part.

I guess it's like the old saying "everyone loves you after you die"

Personally I think it just cheapens her death and her sister being Black Canary. It just reeks of having your cake and eating it. Either commit to your story or don't kill off major characters.

Considering her death was complete bs in the first place, and her sister still not being that great, I have no issues with it. And with all the nonsense that happened in Season 3 of Arrow, this is actually one of their better decisions. With all the time travel that is taking place, they really should try to just retcon all of Season 3.

I think Dinah not being as good a vigilante as her master assassin sister straight off the bat is actually one of the better choices of this season. I prefer them showing actual progression as opposed to suddenly being on a par with a league of assassin member and Sara's death is also part of that progression.

Hopefully with Legends time skipping theme there isn't much chance of her crossing over with Arrow and actually undoing that development for Dinah.

The entire way Black Canary is being handled on Arrow, was stupid from the get go. Black Canary should have been introduced as an equal, and not as his former lover, who got cheated on, and then eventually learns the art of ass kicking, but is still pretty much on a side-kick level. Sara was everything that the actual Dinah should have been, and just showed you how much of a mistake they made with the character of Laurel.

It was hard to see how she was going to become Black Canary in the beginning. Though the show at that point had made a decision to deviate quite a bit from the comics. Even though they relented on some of their policies, the show still can't go back on much of what it established.

I didn't like how Laurel started off, but I think the stories she's had since have been a lot better for her character. She's had a lot more to do and has had to pick herself up multiple times. I've actually been more invested in her character than I have Sara (who I also like).

But in Thea's case her brother was there and everything. At least here, it seems like Sara's alone.

Well he could close his eyes and let the rest of them get a look in. Or they could've put Thea in the pit when she was all alone and just the audience would have eyes on her skinny dipping.

BS death lead to BS drama and BS resurrection. Whatever.

I don't think her death has been entirely for naught, Laurel has catapulted to the top of my favorite characters list this season.
I didn't like how Laurel started off, but I think the stories she's had since have been a lot better for her character. She's had a lot more to do and has had to pick herself up multiple times. I've actually been more invested in her character than I have Sara (who I also like).
I completely agree. I love Sara, but we've seen Laurel pick herself back up and grow as a character on-screen (her not going back to the bottle when Sara died), whereas with Sara it has only been referenced.

Just don't really understand the "all of season 3 was for nothing" argument. She died, the stuff happened and now they have access to something that can bring her back because of the events of Season 3.

Last edited:
Just don't really understand the "all season of 3 was for nothing" argument. She died, the stuff happened and now they have access to something that can bring her back because of the events of Season 3.

And some are acting like Sara's return undoes all of Laurel's progression this season, Laurel has made the transition to Black Canary, and made the identity her own with the Canary Cry, the impact of Sara's death has for the most part run its course, so I'm fine with her coming back, it's not like they brought her back after a couple episodes, I'd love to see a late season 4 episode with Laurel, Sara, Thea, and Nyssa teaming up.

Well I don't think Sara's return undoes anything for Laurel. Sara's coming back with a different costumed identity on a spinoff. Yes there will be a crossover at some point, but they will be different characters.

Downsides of Sara coming back? Well, I thought the gravitas following Sara's death was well done, and the emotion there is undercut if it turns into another fakeout.

Plus the Sara's dead, Sara's alive, Sara's dead stuff is played out at this point. And that's going to be super awkward, because Quentin has been so obnoxious lately, and now it's over a daughter who isn't even dead anymore...again. There's really no version of it I can accept that doesn't involve Oliver (or Thea or Diggle, if he's unavailable) backhanding Quentin across the face. Just really slap the **** out of him and tell him to get the **** out of Starling City. I just don't see anything else they can do with his character after this that I'd have even the slightest interest in seeing. If Sara were still dead, I could see a redemption plotline, but with her alive his story arc just seems too dumb.

I mean, I didn't want Sara to die, and I wanted her back after she did die, but here's how it looks for me at this point. Sara dies (for real this time, honest), everyone's sad/guilty/angry, her weird sister tries to be her, Nyssa didn't know the Lazarus Pit brings people back to life, now there's free do-overs, Sara is alive again and the showrunners weren't really serious about the whole dying thing, she changes the way she dresses because her weird sister has stolen her identity (I'm going to go ahead and say that maybe Laurel should change the way she dresses), then she has to go back to her home planet so Laurel can continue being her in her place, even though she's still here to be herself. Did I mention how awkward the Sara and Laurel reunion will be, too?

Also, yay more Sara on this new show! That's not sarcasm, I'm definitely glad to see more of her, but the parallel timelines option was the more elegant solution in my opinion.

To me, she's more Dinah than Laurel ever was. And I always found it an injustice, that her character got killed off in such a half assed way, to make way for a second-rate Canary.

Agreed. It was a bad call to kill off Sara in the first place. If any character had to die in the season 3 opener it should have been Laurel, that;s my own opinion on that whole thing.

Agreed. It was a bad call to kill off Sara in the first place. If any character had to die in the season 3 opener it should have been Laurel, that;s my own opinion on that whole thing.

But Laurel's such a better character. It's great how she struggles with purse snatchers and stuff. :o

I'm happy Sara's back. I made my peace with Laurel and enjoy her making the Canary identity her own. I am super pumped for LEgends of Tomorrow

Laurel as Canary was great near the end of the season once she got her training....plus...Canary's Call. Come on...that's FREAKING AWESOME.

Sara's return won't affect Laurel's journey. In the beginning, when Laurel was pretending to be Sara, it would have affected her big time. But now she has found why she wants to be a vigilant, it's not more about her sister. She won't stop being BC just because Sara is back.

I just hope they don't keep her return a secret, bring her back, get done with it, have both of them on a mission together, then have Sara on the spin off.

Laurel as Canary was great near the end of the season once she got her training....plus...Canary's Call. Come on...that's FREAKING AWESOME.

Eh, either she struggles against regular thugs, or suddenly she's up there on Ollie's level, and takes on multiple League Assassins without breaking a sweat. And so far the new Canary Cry is barely any better than Sara's sonic devices.

Eh, either she struggles against regular thugs, or suddenly she's up there on Ollie's level, and takes on multiple League Assassins without breaking a sweat. And so far the new Canary Cry is barely any better than Sara's sonic devices.

If you remember the first two eps with the LOA Sara killed one in 2 seconds and then Lance survived long enough to shoot another. Some of them really suck.

Considering her death was complete bs in the first place, and her sister still not being that great, I have no issues with it. And with all the nonsense that happened in Season 3 of Arrow, this is actually one of their better decisions. With all the time travel that is taking place, they really should try to just retcon all of Season 3.

Really? Because that would be as awful as Dallas' "dream season". You have to own your mistakes and learn from them instead of taking the easy way out. Anyway, is not going to happen, it seems they will deal with the consequences of Olivers' actions on Season 4:

Oliver was able to keep his cover by leaving his friends to die. We know they’re not actually going to die, but how will this betrayal affect Team Arrow? Can Diggle (David Ramsey) ever trust him again?

MG: The short answer is no. This is something that we really tackle head-on in the season finale. I don’t want to spoil the endgame, but I will say that the idea that Oliver has chosen to trust Malcolm Merlyn (John Barrowman) over Diggle and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards), and the fact that he kept Diggle and Felicity in the dark, we hit that issue straight on. The ramifications of those decisions are going to reverberate into season 4. This is not a situation that can be easily wrapped up with an exchange of I’m sorrys. This is something our characters will be dealing with well into season 4.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/12/arrow-season3-finale-death-spoilers

Downsides of Sara coming back? Well, I thought the gravitas following Sara's death was well done, and the emotion there is undercut if it turns into another fakeout.

Plus the Sara's dead, Sara's alive, Sara's dead stuff is played out at this point. And that's going to be super awkward, because Quentin has been so obnoxious lately, and now it's over a daughter who isn't even dead anymore...again. There's really no version of it I can accept that doesn't involve Oliver (or Thea or Diggle, if he's unavailable) backhanding Quentin across the face. Just really slap the **** out of him and tell him to get the **** out of Starling City. I just don't see anything else they can do with his character after this that I'd have even the slightest interest in seeing. If Sara were still dead, I could see a redemption plotline, but with her alive his story arc just seems too dumb.

Agreed, is dumb to repeat the same Sara-is-dead-now-Sara-is-alive plot twice, is going to be awkward to see Laurel and Quentin's reactions. And if the producers repeat the same mistakes, Oliver will lie about Sara being alive, so Laurel and Quentin will get angry with him and more forced drama... again!! :whatever:

Like I said not long ago, it would've been smarter to use the concept of the Multiverse to introduce a Sara Lance from Earth 2 who is the White Canary or Manhunter there, this way, death still matters and doesn't become an example of bad writing like in the comics. But the damage is done, so hopefully, Sara's resurrection will come at a heavy price, it would make it more interesting and justify why Tommy and Moira should remain dead.

retcon season 3 just because people dislike it is a cheat way to get rid of it.....just have to accept all the stuff from sara death and everything that happened

Maybe White Canary got powered up by a combination of time travel, Lazarus Pit, and the White Lantern!!

PS - Still watching the DC Legends and Supergirl trailer too many times. I'm sorry but I can't get enough of it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"