The Caity Lotz/Black Canary Thread

Discussion in 'Arrow' started by dsfjr1190, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jodie Foster Registered

Black Canary looks fantastic. The domino mask kind of looks like Robin's from Batman Forever

2. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

So if Black Canary is Sara Lance, is Ollie going to recognise her when he meets her? Or is he going to be fooled by her domino mask? He ought to be able to recognise her immediately seeing as he slept with her, unless he wasn't looking at her face during sex at all.

And is Laurel going take over the mantle? She doesn't seem remotely like Black Canary at all. Unless maybe Sara's middle name is also Dinah, just like Laurel's. It will be like in Smallville where Jimmy Olsen was actually Henry James Olsen and then his younger brother who ended up looking exactly like him was named James Olsen. What parents name both of their kids with the same names?

3. Nathan Registered

I don't want Laurel to take over. Not after all the baggage and the drama. She is completely unlikable. And now leads an irrational campaign to hunt down the Hood. They have done nothing with the character that might make me care about her.

4. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Well the CW better not force her down our throats just because Katie Cassidy was cast originally and they're determined to stick to their plan of having her become BC and getting her with Ollie. In any other show which wasn't predetermined, they would just go with whichever pair had the most chemistry and was popular with viewers and fans.

That said, in Smallville they did put Ollie with Chloe in the end even though that's not canonical. Hopefully they'll get rid of Cassidy eventually because she is the worst character in the show.

5. Nathan Registered

Plus, they ruined any hope of Ollie getting together with Laurel from the get go. Honestly, what kind of woman, that has any respect for herself, still wants to get romantically involved with the guy that cheated on her with her own sister, and ultimately caused her death? Doesn't matter that they changed her sisters fate in Season 2.

6. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I suppose Sara Lance was on the island as well, training to be Black Canary, or on a neighbouring island? She had her own Yao Fei, Slade and Shado to form her into the person she is today?

And is Det Lance not going to recognise his own daughter either? What's his nickname for her going to be? The mask? The fishnet? The blonde?

7. Loki882 Registered

It depends. They may take advantage of the recasting by playing up how different she looks, it has been five years. Also, she might not give him a chance to really get a good look at her initially. Or maybe he'll realize that there's something familiar about her, but not put the pieces together. Remember, he watched her "die" right in front of his eyes.

8. Nathan Registered

I think watching her "die", pretty much etched her face into his memory. So when he gets a good look at her, I hope he recognizes her right away.

9. Loki882 Registered

But that's the thing, he thinks she's dead. Nothing in the last five years has happened that would change his mind, so the thought might not even occur to him. I'm interested to see how they explain her survival and how she became this uber-badass. Also, does she have the Canary cry in some form?

10. Nathan Registered

Or he'll think he's seeing a Ghost. Just because he stopped thinking about her, doesn't mean he'll never ever think someone could look similar.

11. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Recasting from what? The Sara that was in the pilot?

12. Loki882 Registered

Yes, and from the flashbacks as well.

13. Nathan Registered

I'm looking forward to discover what happened to her. She could have potentially gone through a worse hell than Oliver. She's a woman, so imagine what would happened if Pirates fished her out of the sea. Oliver trained in order to survive, maybe whoever found her trained her specifically to kill. Did she possibly lose her memories, and that's why she never tried to contact her family? What about cosmetic surgery? Maybe she was disfigured during the accident. (One way to explain the new actress, if they even bother.)

14. Loki882 Registered

This could be another possible way to introduce the League of Assassins.

15. Rorschach2012 Hi Freeze, I’m Batman

No thanks, i don't think Black Canary should be connected to them. But i wouldn't be surprised if they go that route

16. herolee10 No More Miracles

Honestly, if they can't make Laurel likable now, they'll NEVER be able to make her likable again, no matter how hard they try because this is the exact same thing that happened with Lana Lang's character on the show. I'd argue that the reason why Lana had so many fans was because they were more intrigued by Kristin Kreuk than they actually were with Lana, and that it was out of hope that she'd return to her "innocent" and actually likable self from Seasons 1 and 2.

Heck, just look at the promo cast poster for this season. Not only is Laurel featured ALL THE WAY IN THE BACK, but she looks like a freaking villain in the poster, more so than Slade Wilson. That should be very telling.

17. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

What happened is that this latest episode gives us no reason to like Dinah Laurel and it's true that she's becoming the Lana Lang of the show. As I've said before, I don't see how Dinah Laurel can become the Black Canary convincingly.

18. Nathan Registered

Caity Lotz so needs to pull a Felicity. Blow the people in charge away, so they write more stuff for her.

19. Justin Registered

I'm going into this not thinking that it's Sarah or even thinking that it's Black Canary. I'm going to let the show tell me who she is, in it's own time.

Very interesting character and I'm sure there are lots of twists and turns. I still believe Laurel is intended to be Black Canary eventually but maybe they lied about that. Will wait and see. Nice addition to the show though, another hero that actually has some ability beyond rookie.

Gives them a lot more scope with female villains. I don't want to see Ollie punching girls in the face. I won't mind her doing it.

Intentional I think, and not an indication of "we don't like her anymore". She kinda is playing a villain right now. Laurels character is on a 5 season arc, not a one season guest appearance. It's likely she'll be front and centre once she's with Ollie but right now she has to take a back seat, yet still be on the poster. Just my opinion.

#94 Justin, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  20. Mars452 Registered

Man, is it next Wednesday yet? Black Canary is going to be friggin awesome.

I still chuckle at the fact that the show cast a girl with breakdancing and martial arts experience to be a temporary Black Canary and cast Katie Cassidy as the permanent one. Katie Cassidy looks like she'll be blown over by a strong breeze. Caity Lotz, as of her last major role (I'm not counting Battle of the Year where she was mostly there to not talk and look pretty), looks like this:
    [​IMG]

#95 Mars452, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  21. Loki882 Registered

Looks can be deceiving. Jet Li is a pretty short guy, but he can break you with his foot.

22. carrrnuttt Registered

Your image is not showing, but I am assuming you were attempting to post this (or something similar from the same movie):

[​IMG]

23. Nathan Registered

You image isn't showing either.

[​IMG]

24. carrrnuttt Registered

Height does not equal mass. Jet Li might be height-challenged, but there's muscle behind his hits. Mike Tyson was shorter than 100% of the opponents he knocked out in the first round.

25. carrrnuttt Registered

Must be a weird caching thing. It's showing for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.