The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Thread Manager, May 7, 2012.

1. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

Cap being a man out of time is what makes him most interesting to a modern audience, and that plotline visually illustrates what Cap lost (and film is a visual medium). Why is including this become too "melodramtic?" It only enhances Cap's story, if anything.

2. Carnage27

Carnage27 No one's puppet

Exactly. Good character development and the closing of an emotionally-tied story is not melodrama. Its good writing.

3. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

Those ears-out designs for cap look incredible. But I honestly love what we got. Even the helmet looked great to me.

4. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Probably the best explanation and reason to include Peggy in the sequel. I think you need her to sort of help Cap complete his character arc that Marvel set up in TFA.

5. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

Imagine what things will be like if Peggy were to finally die in Steve's arms as they're dancing.:csad:

But yeah, i could buy that Peggy is in her 90's, maybe even older, just like how did they did that thing with Rose in Titanic.

Heck, they could make it a point for CA2 to be about Steve letting go of his past entirely and moving on with his life, with meeting Peggy for the last time at the end to be the final thing that he needs to do before really moving on.

6. hafizbat

hafizbat Wild Cherry

Good idea, and probably the route they will take.

Anyways, in Cap 2, what does Cap do when he's not with the Avengers? Will he just be a SHIELD agent? He doesn't seem like the type to just run around the rooftops looking for trouble.

7. herolee10

Considering on how it was mentioned by the official statement regarding CA2 that SHIELD will be present in the film, my guess is that he'll be doing missions for them; whether it's covert or not.

Heck, the film could start with him investigating into the possible reemergence of a modern day HYDRA team.

8. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

I expect him to be a SHIELD agent since he really has nothing else to do.

9. herolee10

Indeed; though he may keep his distance as to what he does for SHIELD considering on how it was established that he doesn't necessarily trust Fury entirely and knows that Fury has blood on his hands as well.

That, and I don't see Steve taking on missions that conflicts with his own moral beliefs.

10. The Caped Knight

The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

I agree The cowl helmet worked and looked great some people on here just like to complain. I've seen the film three times at different theaters and I can tell you that the GA (General Audience) didn't complain about cap's costume design. I've gone to several different comic book shops and they loved the costume.

11. Goku Goes Crazy

Goku Goes Crazy Well-Known Member

Chris Evans Cap is the best character in this franchise. He's the most emotionally engaging and he had the best pre-avenger film.

12. hafizbat

hafizbat Wild Cherry

The thing with Cap 2 is that it has to keep progressing Steve Rogers. He took a big step in The Avengers, but we need to see more of how he develops into Captain America, the most inspirational character in the Marvel universe. I really hope they stay in the more superhero tone for him in Cap 2 rather than go all SHIELD agent/stealth/soldier-spy. Someone even suggested he wear the super-soldier uniform, which would make me cry.

13. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

He's your favorite, not the best since there is no "best" character.

14. herolee10

Some arcs that I could see him going through in his solo films:

1. Moving on completely with his life and away from his past.

2. Having to wrestle with the idea that perhaps the very country that he fought so hard for and to protect may not be as noble and inspiring as he had once seen it to be; that he has to be someone more than a man representing one country.

15. Bren

Bren Forevernoob

Do I have your permission to disagree with you *squeek*?

Or should I reply that some people have absolutely no quality standards whatsoever and will accept and praise any rubbish given to them, like that horrendous cowl helmet?

Which would be an equally stupid thing to say.

16. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

I really hope Cap working with SHIELD doesn't mean him going with a Captain Rogers suit

17. antonydelfini

antonydelfini Strange Tales

He could be always with SHIELD ala Brubaker era, or a free lance artist ala Roger Stern run (which is my favorite). I prefer the free lance artist bit.

18. Kalonthar

Kalonthar Well-Known Member

What with Shield being a part of the next Cap film, I'm wondering if Hawkeye and BW will have any presence. I doubt it (beyond cameos or a mention), but you never know.

19. Bren

Bren Forevernoob

Imagine the movie is about Captain America being sent on a Shield mission WITH BW and Hawkeye.

We can safely assume he is far more morally firm than they are, and they can be shown as end-justifies-the-means type characters. Would be fun watching him try keep them 'honest'.

It could also be hair-raising watching Cap really 'lose it' if they go overboard.

20. herolee10

Given that BW and Hawkeye have been somewhat established in TA, I think it would be better if they're not included with him in solo films. Don't want to run the risk of CA2 being considered like what IM2 was to a lot of people.

IF Steve needs a agent to go with him from SHIELD, it could always be Sharon carter.

21. zentype

zentype Member

That looks good for a few reasons (the ears don't matter so much)

-The 'A'. Look at the A for most versions of the costume pictured (even the 'supposed' avengers movie version on the left) It is noticeably wider set then the actual movie 'A'. The top is flat, not a point like the font they went with. The entire A is much thicker in these shots --just like in the comic book. Instead they went with a generic type font 'A' The effect isn't as impressive and looks anemic compared to the bold wide 'A'.

Again the A in the left movie costume photo isn't the A they actually used in the movie.

2. The 'jagged' lower cowl line over the mouth area. Why didn't they do this, I don't know. Looks great.

3. The noticeable sectioning of the cowl into three parts: top and two sides, to make it more square and not round/oval (like the movie version looked)

4. The more streamlined wings instead of a vertical spread-winged design like in the movie. (which didn't work as well)

The ears aren't as important as the other elements. If they exposed the ears with the current round helmet, skinny A version it would have looked bad.

If they would have had some attention to detail, the helmet and entire costume would have looked *much* better.

As it is, it's just OK but it could definitely be improved per the above.

See below for what I'm referring to:
    [​IMG]

22. Bren

Bren Forevernoob

Not that I would go that way, but I think it'd be fun if they appeared in his film - as minor characters. Hell, show the end of a joint mission in the beginning of the film, him disagreeing with their methods and going on his own for a while...

Of course, it wouldn't bother me if they weren't in it at all...

23. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Well-Known Member

You consulted every single audience member those three times you saw it to know they didn't have any issues with Caps suit? That's amazing.

It's not the kind of issue where people are going to voice it loudly in the theater as the movie is playing.

24. hafizbat

hafizbat Wild Cherry

All these changes I agree with, plus add a star at the back, complete the red/white stripes all around and I think it would look perfect.

Either that, or completely start over and go for the scalemail top and full white sleeves. I think this could also look great.

In that (excellent) art, the far most left, the bottom two, and the far most right all look great. If they could actually pull it off in real, it would be perhaps the best comic book costume come to screen (besides Raimi Spiderman). I think I like the bottom row second to the right the best. Those full white sleeves just look good.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  25. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

You sure? A guy in my theatre literally died from laughter when cap first appeared on screen all suited up. :o ;)