The Captain America: Civil War News & Speculation Thread TAG SPOILERS! - Part 25

Discussion in 'Captain America: Civil War' started by Thread Manager, Apr 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Those are good points. Tony didn't even seem to know that
    his parents were HYDRA assassination targets, not an unfortunate car accident. Although, wouldn't that have shown up in the files Natasha leaked? At least that the directives of one the missions was extraction of super-soldier serum back in 1991, and he could have deduced it from there.

I feel that if he'd known his parents had been victims of HYDRA, he would have more likely had the space to accept that it was HYDRA the organization that killed his parents, and probably (hopefully) not put 100% of the blame on the brainwashed guy who was a victim himself.

For me, I was still TeamCap at that moment, because we've spent SO much time with them.

We see how much pain Bucky is in, trying to figure out how to live with himself and continue to fight what's been put inside him. We see how much Steve still believes in him.

In addition, the audience already has the knowledge that HYDRA had the Starks killed since TWS
    (and it was strongly implied that Bucky was the only WS they could control, so he was likely the assassin who did it), so we've already had that sitting in our heads. It blindsides Tony, but it doesn't blindside the audience.

The audience has already accepted that Bucky is a victim throughout CW, so it was only on the basis of Tony's reaction that might switch the audience at that moment. It seems like a lot of people have, so kudos to RDJ. :cwink:

I wonder if my reaction would been different if it blindsided the audience as well.

2. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

There was [BLACKOUT]some throwaway line about Hydra's files being encoded, which might somehow explain Stark not having found out prior to Zemo[/BLACKOUT].

3. Sleiek Registered

lol. I wouldn't want to be friends with your friend. ;)

And you are absolutely right about Tony. You got great points there.

About blasting Sam when it wasn't his fault, you can tell Tony Stark is impulsive. He gets emotional and does stupid things. I understand about the whole mom situation, that's understandable. It makes me wonder if Tony's blaster has different settings - lethal and non lethal. Probably does anyway.

#953 Sleiek, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  4. Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

If they were, there wouldn't have been the huge hubbub in TWS around Natasha leaking them, if nobody could or had actually read them. :oldrazz:

But yeah, it's a plot point in CW that the 1991 mission that killed the Starks was top-secret and probably encrypted somehow, considering all the trouble Zemo goes through to find more information on it, beyond knowing that it killed the Starks.

5. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

But yeah, it's a plot point in CW that the 1991 mission that killed the Starks was top-secret and probably encrypted somehow, considering all the trouble Zemo goes through to find more information on it, beyond knowing that it killed the Starks.

Yeah, that's why I considered it a little too convenient in lieu of Pierce's comments - almost like the Russo's were trying to retcon something from TWS that was getting in the way of their story telling for CW.

6. Sleiek Registered

What do you mean [BLACKOUT]clawing his throat out? I was under the impression he stopped "Zemo" from committing Suicide. Oh, I feel really bad for that guy.[/BLACKOUT]

I was actually expecting a Gwen moment from ASM2 which made me cry. That was a shocking moment just like Gwen's. I don't know how he survived that impact.

7. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

That became a problem for me during multiple sequences in the movie. It's what happens when it's filled to the brim like it is.

8. Sleiek Registered

I have a big question.

Is there any particular reason why Zemo killed the other subjects? What does he gain from it?

9. Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

T'Challa approached Zemo
    with his BP claws out. They have a shot specifically of him putting the claws back in before taking Zemo in alive, so they were out when he approached Zemo. But he decided to sit and listen to Zemo's story, after almost killing the wrong person earlier in the film.

10. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

He talks about it in the movie. That was in line with his vendetta against the "enhanced" of the world. More running around was not something he had any interest in.

11. Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

He certainly doesn't lose anything. :oldrazz: Having them around wasn't part of his master plan, and he didn't want them running around anymore.

12. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

He had nothing to gain from it since it was never part of his plan. It was all misdirection.
    He was using the threat of the release of other spies like Bucky to cause CA and IM to show up in Russia when in actuality he wanted to show IM the tape of his parents being killed so he'd go after CA and Bucky.

13. Sleiek Registered

Yeah, I must have missed it. I knew he hated the enhanced. Good enough.

Yeah, I was kinda under the impression he would take over the world by taking control of those enhanced beings. A very different character than what I was expecting. Maybe that's why I am quite impressed with that character.

14. Johnny-Oh "You got heart, kid"

How hard would've been to at least incorporate cues from this theme:

into the movie? Heck if not that at least "Taking a Stand" from Henry Jackman's own TWS score. I love this Captain America trilogy but the lack of a consistent theme bothers me, same with the Iron Man trilogy(even though the IM3 theme was the best).

15. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

The Russo Bros and Feige gave an interview to Empire about CW where they answered some burning questions about some of the choices they made and the future of certain characters. Heavy spoilers ahead.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/captain-america-civil-war-secrets/

Combating repetitiveness in superhero films:

Death of major character they didn't include:

Appearance of Pepper Potts:

Captain America's future:

Avengers' status:

Chadwick Boseman's acting:

Germany fight sequence:

Vision's limits:

Empire Strikes Back influence:

Spider-Man's introduction:

Feige's favorite MCU moment:

Bucky's future:

You can also listen to Empire's 2-hour podcast interview with Feige and the Russo Bros (which is probably where a lot of these answers came from.)

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/...rica-civil-war-joe-anthony-russo-kevin-feige/

16. MichaelChen Registered

Really? Describe what he's about without mentioning rings.

17. Xeno That's America's ass!

That wasn't a "badass" move on Steve's part. Tony was right. In that moment, Steve didn't deserve that shield.

Before watching CW, I was on #TeamIronMan but expected to be swayed over to Steve's side. After watching it several times, I'm on #TeamPutSteveRogersOnTheRaftAndThrowAwayTheKey. Not only did he betray Tony, he also refused any attempt to compromise and led people who considered him a friend/role model into a disastrous battle. But hey! At least [BLACKOUT]he and his beloved Bucky walked, [/BLACKOUT]so that's a win, right? :whatever: As much as I love Captain America, his behavior was unforgivably selfish.

18. Raiden Wakanda Forever

Totally disagreed, but I'm typing on my cellphone so I don't want to elaborate further.

19. Sleiek Registered

Half Chinese, Raised in China, wasn't a wimp initially and he got his powers from learning science from an alien source (Indiana Jones feel) instead of injecting himself with Extremis. And oh, Rings are super important. They are his power source if I remember correctly.

Using the term badass might have been a bit of an exaggeration. I think it is Cap's way of saying I don't need your shield to do what I do. He doesn't keep other people's property against their will. He's a good man.

Agree to Disagree with the rest.

20. Xeno That's America's ass!

That's what's great about opinions. They aren't all the same.

When Tony backhanded Steve in the final trailer I wondered why he would have done that. Seen in context it was totally understandable because Cap earned that slap. People keep going on about how wrong they think Tony was but in his position the vast majority of humanity would have had the same reaction.

Betraying Tony by not telling him the truth was a cowardly, selfish act on Steve's part and that's what pushed Tony over the edge. Steve could have been honest with Tony from the start, but that would have made harder to protect Bucky, which was his only real goal. That was a major mistake which showed Steve's hipocrisy. He has derided Tony, Natasha and Fury for keeping things from him in the past. What made him think that keeping something so devastating from Tony was going to lead to anything but ruin?

I love the fact that Steve was allowed to be wrong for once. The fact that the movie drew such a strong reaction from me is proof of its greatness. The only thing I dislike is the idea that what Steve did to Tony was in any way right. It wasn't.

#970 Xeno, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  21. Sleiek Registered

What do you mean it wasn't in any way right? It spares him some pain until and if someone brings it up.

22. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Tony said it out of spite. Steve was done fighting with him. That is why he did it. As usual, Steve was the bigger man.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the movie. Tony, like always, was the selfish one acting immature. Steve was right, proven right, and those that fight by his said do so because they trust in him and know he is right. Just look at the teams make up. Steve wasn't the one who dragged a teen to a war. Look at who [BLACKOUT]switches sides. Both T'Challa and Nat realize the error of theirs and Tony's way[/BLACKOUT].

#972 DarthSkywalker, May 14, 2016
  23. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Just because Tony overreacts like a bunch of people who can't control their emotional response, does not make it right. In fact, what is more morally justifiable, attempting to commit murder or protecting an innocent man that happens to be your friend?

Tony knows he is wrong at the end of the movie. It is written all over his face. It is why he doesn't respond to the call.

#973 DarthSkywalker, May 14, 2016
  24. #root Registered

Damn, this movie was awesome. Just saw it and thought it was perfect. The airport fight was absolutely fantastic. The Russos are really kicking ass so far. I thought they handled the large cast of characters really well. Can't wait to see them on an actual Avengers flick.

25. TJByrum Captain America Fan

I also got the idea that Tony realized he was wrong by the end of the movie. Him, Vision, and Rhodey are the only Avengers who would act according to the Accords, but even Tony showed he was willing to break those rules when he went to Siberia. And I doubt Peter will want follow those rules. The bulk of the team are with Cap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.