Civil War The Captain America: Civil War News & Speculation Thread TAG SPOILERS! - Part 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't call him the Mandarin. Please call him something else. Like the Tattooed Lava lamp man :hehe: or something. For some reason that makes me upset. The Mandarin is actually one of the VERY FEW Marvel Villains I know about.

I will continue to call him the Mandarin, because he is the Mandarin. Not only does he outright say that, but he's the closest character in the setting to the comic Mandarin, including whatever unseen dude is behind the One Shot. Certainly far closer than. . . basically any variation on "distant mastermind dude who hides behind secrecy".

Saw it again today. I still can't decide which I like more this or TWS. I can at least say it's the same quality and deserves to be on that upper level of CBMs.

I will continue to call him the Mandarin, because he is the Mandarin. Not only does he outright say that, but he's the closest character in the setting to the comic Mandarin, including whatever unseen dude is behind the One Shot. Certainly far closer than. . . basically any variation on "distant mastermind dude who hides behind secrecy".

It's okay. The real purpose of that post is to get my frustration out than an expectation from others to not call someone something just because I'm uncomfortable or find it ridiculous. I respect your opinion.

Saw it again today. I still can't decide which I like more this or TWS. I can at least say it's the same quality and deserves to be on that upper level of CBMs.

Me too. I still can't decide. They feel like different movies in a sense and I feel compelled not to compare them and rate them against one another.

Half Chinese, Raised in China, wasn't a wimp initially and he got his powers from learning science from an alien source (Indiana Jones feel) instead of injecting himself with Extremis. And oh, Rings are super important. They are his power source if I remember correctly.
Half Mongolian, half British, and not really defined by either. He's more defined by being a rich guy who was willing to spend all of his fiefdom's money on himself. He betrayed everyone his fiefdom employed by bankrupting the estate turning himself into a super-soldier. Sound familiar? It's quite similar to Killian betraying the American taxpayer to fund himself being turned into a super-soldier.

He didn't get his powers by learning science from an alien source, he got them by betraying his fiefdom, spending all of their money on training. He did eventually discover a source of alien tech, but the reason he even knew what to do with it was because he was already heavily trained.

The rings are useful tools, but they are not mega-important. There are stories where he doesn't use them at all, instead depending on schemes and kidnapped scientists. I'd put them more on the level of Joker's acid-flower: situationally useful, but you can have a version of Joker without it and nothing is lost. The Mandarin's combination of scheming intelligence, and superhuman martial arts abilities are more important.

Yeah, I knew he was already trained in Science but that alien source is a big part of him in my opinion. Too bad, the iteration I am used to, or atleast the part of his life that was most interesting, depended heavily on the rings and frankly it's because of the rings I got into him in the first place. This scientist, kidnapping Lex like villain tires me. That's not the impression I got from him from the stories I am exposed to. Well anyway, I am gonna stop talking about Mandarin. The less I think about IM3's Mandarin, the better I enjoy the movie.

Last edited:
As a huge Batman fan, I can't believe I am saying this. But I like the Cap trilogy better. The fighting choreography is easily better and to me that is one of the biggest deals.

I still love The Dark Knight Trilogy. But I love Cap trilogy a tiny bit more. Made me care about a character I didn't give a crap about.

The Joker movie absolutely blows any of the Captain America movies away. However, "Batman Begins" is middling at best, and "The Dark Knight Rises" is outright boring. So I'd say the Captain America trilogy narrowly beats the Batman trilogy. But only because "The Dark Knight" is basically fighting three movies by itself. "The Dark Knight" is Muhammad Ali and two nerds trying to fight three Evander Holyfields.

That's the thing. The Dark Knight is still a masterpiece but the other two weren't as great. On the other hand, the cap movies are all equally good. The first movie is underrated.

Yes the quality is the same to me too. I think it comes down to which type of film you prefer. CW is my favourite Marvel film but others might gravitate more towards the spy thriller type film when given 2 films that are otherwise as good as each other.

I don't know about the films (there are so many different variables) but from a character perspective, I think the Cap films are better than Nolan's Batman. Steve Rogers feels like a true 3-dimensional character, that grows from film to film, that has arcs, that learns stuff, that you can understand each decision he makes. I can't say the same thing for Bale's Bruce Wayne. Maybe in the first two films, but TDKR was a terrible mess.

Eh, I always preferred Begins to TDK to be honest.

I don't. To me "The Dark Knight" is leaps and bounds better than any of the other bat-movies or Cap-movies. "The Dark Knight" is the homerun that flew around the world and blew a hole in the moon of superhero flicks.

I'm giving it to Cap this time. I love all three films.

As much as I love Batman, and if there is one character I hold above my devotion to Marvel, its Batman, but as time has gone by, I only really love and enjoy Batman Begins. While TDK is a well made, and I agree with the assessments that it's a superior film, it's just been tainted to me. TDKR was a disappointment to me.

Dark Knight trilogy is definitely my favorite, but Capt. is definitely my second favorite superhero trilogy.

I hate that The Dark Knight is used as "the standard" for comic book movies.

That film is HIGHLY overrated.

I hate that The Dark Knight is used as "the standard" for comic book movies.

That film is HIGHLY overrated.

Lets put it this way, how many comic films were dark and gritty as well as real world prior to dark knight? Also after dark knight? Thats why it is the standard.

This film is without question one of the best and better then both avengers films for me.

And how many are good? MOS, BvS, FF......

And how many are good? MOS, BvS, FF......

Dont forget asm 1 n 2. Point is the genre tried to replicate that formula, It was a genre defining movie. TDK/IM1/AVENGERS1/TWS/ DOFP/GOTG all had a hand in bringing in wider audience and increasing the popularity of the comicbook genre. It doesnt matter if its DC or MARVEL as long as the genre continues down a great path its we the fans who reap the awesome films. We have 5 comic movies this year and so far were 2/3 and that aint bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"