The Amazing Spider-Man The Chemistry & Romance Between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone!

Yes, Gwen * could * appear in flashbacks in the third film if she was killed off in the second film, but there's absolutely no reason for the PTB to put themselves in the position of having to do flashbacks because they have absolutely no narrative imperative to kill off Gwen in the second film when the story would be served just as well if she
died in the third.

Why create additional work for
yourselves (in terms of creating
flashbacks for Gwen) when you
don't have to?

Thank you!

Happened to Maguire and Dunst and we all saw how Maguire came game for SM2. And Dunst gave it......eh, yeah.

Oh well, Stone's the better actress, she can fake the energy better. ;)

Just saying.
no she is'nt lol

Dunst should of got nominated for an oscar last year and won beast actress at Cannes last year

Stone is not close to that caliber

I love most everything about the film, but yes, the chemistry and romance between Peter and Gwen is one of the best I've seen in a comic book film.

The relationship between Peter and Gwen in this film, as opposed to the one between Peter and Mary Jane in the Raimi films is one of the things that made me enjoy The Amazing Spider-Man more. I liked the Raimi films (the first two), but I have to say that the love story and romance between Peter and Mary Jane often felt a bit forced, in my opinion. On the flip side, the love story and romance between Peter and Gwen in this film felt more natural and genuine. I look forward to seeing how it's approached in the sequel.

The whole set-up was contrived and cheesy. I keep hearing people saying how "real" the relationships were, when there was almost no reality to them at all.

Why was Peter not the most popular guy in school? He's not the lone science nerd- it's a science based school- so everyone is a science nerd. And based on the way Peter stood up to Flash in the beginning- he's the guy with balls, he's clever, he's the skate-boarding rebel, and he's clearly a good-looking guy.

Why didn't Gwen have any friends? Beautiful, sweet, great personality. Top of her class. She'd definitely be one of the most popular girls in school, yet she's alone.

It was clear from moment one that she was into Peter. No secret crush as someone above mentioned. It was very clear. Now in another one of the film's beat for beat yanks from Spidey 1- Gwen stands up for Pete early on as did MJ- but in Gwen's case, her desperation to convince Flash to leave Peter alone makes it crystal clear she's into him. So it isn't very "realistic" that Peter would be shy or uncertain about asking her out. And the way he does stumble through asking her out would turn alot of girls off.

I didn't understand why Peter loved MJ in the Raimi films- and I don't understand why Gwen loves Peter in this film. He's a jerk. After he asks her out, he never follows through with it, and she has to invite him to dinner. He rejects her attempt to comfort him when Ben dies, he shows up on her fire escape like a stalker, he reveals himself to be Spider-Man out of left field.

And the Spider-Man thing was bull****. Okay- we Spidey fans know he's cool (or supposed to be, even though this version isn't that cool), but a girl in Gwen's position wouldn't know what to make of this guy. Is he basically human with some enhanced abilities, or is he a total freak out to eat her spleen? Will he continue to mutate and sprout additional arms and bug-eyes? She doesn't know enough about Peter or Spider-Man yet. So her immediate acceptance of him doesn't ring true.

I don't think the Peter/MJ relationship was handled well either. But it was alot more realistic at least in the first film in that Peter doesn't win her simply because he becomes Spider-Man. He still has to work to earn her love. And then, in typical Parker-Luck fashion, when he wins her, he realizes that he can't be with her. It takes a bold (If morally questionable) decision on MJ's part to bring them together in Spidey 2.

In TASM they again retread the Raimi film by having Peter make a half-hearted choice to stay away from Gwen (Although he certainly could have supported her at her father's funeral, the jerk) and then in the end laughs off his promise to her dying father. Sure, the father's request is silly and the exact opposite of the one he makes in the comics as he's dying, but this Peter has serious personal issues, and not the right kind. He's not an interesting, flawed character, he's a poorly written one.

Some of the best chemistry I've ever seen! Made the movie for me, so perfect!

Why was Peter not the most popular guy in school? He's not the lone science nerd- it's a science based school- so everyone is a science nerd. And based on the way Peter stood up to Flash in the beginning- he's the guy with balls, he's clever, he's the skate-boarding rebel, and he's clearly a good-looking guy.
Because he's a loner, and he prefers it that way. It's obvious from his early interactions with Gwen that his social skills aren't as fine-tuned as his peers.

Why didn't Gwen have any friends? Beautiful, sweet, great personality. Top of her class. She'd definitely be one of the most popular girls in school, yet she's alone.
Who says Gwen didn't have any friends? Just because they never go out of their way to show you doesn't mean she's alone.

It was clear from moment one that she was into Peter. No secret crush as someone above mentioned. It was very clear. Now in another one of the film's beat for beat yanks from Spidey 1- Gwen stands up for Pete early on as did MJ- but in Gwen's case, her desperation to convince Flash to leave Peter alone makes it crystal clear she's into him. So it isn't very "realistic" that Peter would be shy or uncertain about asking her out. And the way he does stumble through asking her out would turn alot of girls off.
Right, because when you were a teenager, you could always tell when a girl was into you. C'mon, now. :whatever:

I didn't understand why Peter loved MJ in the Raimi films- and I don't understand why Gwen loves Peter in this film. He's a jerk. After he asks her out, he never follows through with it, and she has to invite him to dinner. He rejects her attempt to comfort him when Ben dies, he shows up on her fire escape like a stalker, he reveals himself to be Spider-Man out of left field.
He never follows through with it because his Uncle dies. "Hey, Pete, sorry about your Uncle. We still on for Friday night?" Yeah, okay.

And the Spider-Man thing was bull****. Okay- we Spidey fans know he's cool (or supposed to be, even though this version isn't that cool), but a girl in Gwen's position wouldn't know what to make of this guy. Is he basically human with some enhanced abilities, or is he a total freak out to eat her spleen? Will he continue to mutate and sprout additional arms and bug-eyes? She doesn't know enough about Peter or Spider-Man yet. So her immediate acceptance of him doesn't ring true.
Really? She's kinda staring right at him, and he looks pretty normal and human. Now, you're just stretching.

I don't think the Peter/MJ relationship was handled well either. But it was alot more realistic at least in the first film in that Peter doesn't win her simply because he becomes Spider-Man. He still has to work to earn her love. And then, in typical Parker-Luck fashion, when he wins her, he realizes that he can't be with her. It takes a bold (If morally questionable) decision on MJ's part to bring them together in Spidey 2.
I think you're mixing up the two movies. In SM1, MJ falls for Spider-Man and transfers those feelings to Peter. In TASM, Gwen is - as you already said - clearly into Peter Parker. On the rooftop, it's clear that she's waiting for him to kiss her. She was already into him well before he admitted he was Spider-Man.

Peter never actually asks Gwen out. He and she stumble through a bit of awkwardness in front of the lockers (the first and only time you see Gwen being awkward, BTW), and then she asks him to come to dinner. She's the one who makes the first move.

Regarding the strength of their relationship, it was pretty clear to me that they'd both noticed each other long before the events of the film, but that, for whatever reason, Gwen hadn't made the first move in openly flirting with him prior to his trying to stand up to Flash.

Regarding the 'Science High' thing, there aren't a lot of public charter or speciality schools that have extracurricular activities, which leads me to believe, as I've said elsewhere, that Midtown Science is a regular public HS that just happens to have the word 'science' in its name.

Well I mean, wasn't Ultimate MJ pretty much 616 Gwen? I get what you mean, though. I loved that aspect of Emma's portrayal.

I don't think so. They both have an interest in science. But Ultimate MJ, while not a party girl, is spunky, witty, just as smart-mouthed as Peter and very self-reliant and confident. Basically, she's Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy. Gwen in 616 was a bit of a blank slate honestly. I'd describe her as ver sheltered, sweet, innocent and isolated in her bubble with Peter. Honestly, Dunst's MJ in personality is more like Gwen than any characterization of Gwen post-death.

It does make me worried about how they'll introduce MJ. MJ, I always preferred to Gwen in the comics, but Dunst's MJ does not do a good job at all of explaining why she and PEter work so well together. And given how similar Stone's Gwen is to comic MJ, I hope they can still find away to differentiate their MJ in a good way from Gwen without redoing the Raimi MJ, which is essentially a reversal of personalities of Gwen and MJ at that point.

Possibly a public high school that focuses on science?

Because he's a loner, and he prefers it that way. It's obvious from his early interactions with Gwen that his social skills aren't as fine-tuned as his peers.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. People are loners for a reason, and this isn't covered in the film. He's not a loner at home- he has a relationship with Ben and May. He doesn't have anything to be awkward about. And he clearly wants to reach out- thus why he defends the kid that Flash is tormenting- the basketball thing is in response to Flash's messing up the girl's photo. Peter engages in extra-curricular things like taking photos for the debate team and other things. He's not a loner.

Who says Gwen didn't have any friends? Just because they never go out of their way to show you doesn't mean she's alone.

The fact that they don't show her with any friends. No friends are with her at her father's funeral supporting her. She mentions teachers being there, but no friends.

Right, because when you were a teenager, you could always tell when a girl was into you. C'mon, now. :whatever:

Yeah, actually I could. If she shows the kind of concern that Gwen is showing. If she stares into your eyes as Gwen was doing, if she clearly has the "I dig you" expression on her face- if she lets Peter slide on the Oscorp breach as she does, then yeah you'd have to be comatose not to tell.

He never follows through with it because his Uncle dies. "Hey, Pete, sorry about your Uncle. We still on for Friday night?" Yeah, okay.

Nope. There's a second encounter between Peter and Gwen when he puts seeing her off and it has nothing to do with Ben. Then- based on Gwen's reaction to Ben's death, she'd clearly be the perfect person to be with as he mourned. It's not like they were going to go dancing or something. They could've just gone somewhere to talk.

Really? She's kinda staring right at him, and he looks pretty normal and human. Now, you're just stretching.

So do the vampires in the idiotic Twilight films. Yet they're kinda dangerous.

I think you're mixing up the two movies. In SM1, MJ falls for Spider-Man and transfers those feelings to Peter.

I think you didn't see the movie at all. MJ doesn't know he's Spider-Man and says that she- to her own surprise- was thinking of Peter and NOT Spider-Man even though Spider-Man is the guy who saves her life.

In TASM, Gwen is - as you already said - clearly into Peter Parker. On the rooftop, it's clear that she's waiting for him to kiss her. She was already into him well before he admitted he was Spider-Man.

Uh.. Right. And his admitting to being this guy with weird and dangerous abilities would definitely change the dynamics of their relationship. A guy simply on steroids can turn from Mr. Nice Guy to a viscious killer. Curt Connors turns from Gwen's mentor to the creature that murders her father. How can Gwen be sure at that point that Peter isn't dangerous?

Regarding the 'Science High' thing, there aren't a lot of public charter or speciality schools that have extracurricular activities, which leads me to believe, as I've said elsewhere, that Midtown Science is a regular public HS that just happens to have the word 'science' in its name.

Not in New York at least. The real "Bronx School of Science" is a science based school and requires the highest examination scores of any school in the city. The second is Stuyvesant and the third is Brooklyn Tech. The school I went to "HS of Art & Design" requires skills in art or photography. And btw- my school had extra-curricular activities including a basketball team. In New York there are schools that specialize in aviation, cooking, music, oceanography etc. All specialized schools name themselves or make plain the requirements for their curriculum.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. People are loners for a reason, and this isn't covered in the film. He's not a loner at home- he has a relationship with Ben and May. He doesn't have anything to be awkward about. And he clearly wants to reach out- thus why he defends the kid that Flash is tormenting- the basketball thing is in response to Flash's messing up the girl's photo. Peter engages in extra-curricular things like taking photos for the debate team and other things. He's not a loner.
How about the fact that he's an orphan? That he lives with his aunt and uncle? That he probably doesn't have as much money as his classmates? Or, again, the fact that he's socially awkward. Watch his interaction with the girl who wants pictures of her boyfriend's car. He has no idea how to handle himself around girls, or really anyone.

The fact that they don't show her with any friends. No friends are with her at her father's funeral supporting her. She mentions teachers being there, but no friends.
"Everyone was there. Everyone but you." She makes a point of saying that even Flash came, suggesting that people who aren't that close to her came out to support her. Or should we have thrown in a scene of Gwen laughing it up with her friends, just to help you believe she has any?

Yeah, actually I could. If she shows the kind of concern that Gwen is showing. If she stares into your eyes as Gwen was doing, if she clearly has the "I dig you" expression on her face- if she lets Peter slide on the Oscorp breach as she does, then yeah you'd have to be comatose not to tell.
Well, good for you, but I guarantee that's not the case for most guys that age - especially guys like Peter Parker. I think you're being unrealistic about Peter's social prowess.

Nope. There's a second encounter between Peter and Gwen when he puts seeing her off and it has nothing to do with Ben. Then- based on Gwen's reaction to Ben's death, she'd clearly be the perfect person to be with as he mourned. It's not like they were going to go dancing or something. They could've just gone somewhere to talk.
When? As far as I remember (and I could be wrong), the only time he sees her after Ben's death is when she hugs him. The next time they meet is when she invites him to dinner.

So do the vampires in the idiotic Twilight films. Yet they're kinda dangerous.
Really? What should she do? Bring him into OsCorp, run a full body scan, check his vitals? He looks human, he acts human, and Spider-Man (from the videos) does, too. There's no reason for her to jump right to the, "Ah! You're a monster!" conclusion.

I think you didn't see the movie at all. MJ doesn't know he's Spider-Man and says that she- to her own surprise- was thinking of Peter and NOT Spider-Man even though Spider-Man is the guy who saves her life.
Yes, to her own surprise. As in, for the entire length of the movie, Spider-Man was the man she pined after. It was only when her life was in jeopardy that she thought of Peter Parker. Even up to the hospital scene, she's concerned with what Spider-Man thinks of her. It's only when Peter offers his own opinion that she realizes he's a viable candidate.

Uh.. Right. And his admitting to being this guy with weird and dangerous abilities would definitely change the dynamics of their relationship. A guy simply on steroids can turn from Mr. Nice Guy to a viscious killer. Curt Connors turns from Gwen's mentor to the creature that murders her father. How can Gwen be sure at that point that Peter isn't dangerous?
Because at that point, no one has seen the Lizard yet. (If you're referring to the revelation on the rooftop.) Again, you must have a really hard time trusting people if your first conclusion is always, "He might be dangerous." She's known Peter (presumably) for a long time. Finding out he has superpowers isn't going to instantly destroy that trust.

Not only is it the best chemistry and romantic plot between any two characters in a superhero movie IMO, Emma's Gwen is also just in general the best love interest in a superhero movie for me.

I'm not saying they don't have a heck of a lot of room to flesh her out some more, and I still think hopefully Amy Adams will take that spot in MOS. But it's just nice to watch a superhero movie where I don't find the female lead/love interest irritating.

How about the fact that he's an orphan? That he lives with his aunt and uncle? That he probably doesn't have as much money as his classmates? Or, again, the fact that he's socially awkward. Watch his interaction with the girl who wants pictures of her boyfriend's car. He has no idea how to handle himself around girls, or really anyone.

There was not a single thing to suggest that he was any worse off financially than the other kids. Broken homes are a very regular thing. It's likely there are many kids in his school with single parents, who live with Aunts, Uncles, Grand parents, are adopted and even have spent time in foster homes. Peter's situation is not at all unqiue in the 21st century versus back in 1962.

As for the girl- that's my point. He's written as being awkward for no reason- this contradicts his forwardness in being the only one who stands up to Flash. Or his skateboarding in the halls. He's not afraid of backlash, so why would he be awkward with anyone?

"Everyone was there. Everyone but you." She makes a point of saying that even Flash came, suggesting that people who aren't that close to her came out to support her. Or should we have thrown in a scene of Gwen laughing it up with her friends, just to help you believe she has any?

Yes. Or explain why not. That's defining character, which this film seriously lacked.

Well, good for you, but I guarantee that's not the case for most guys that age - especially guys like Peter Parker. I think you're being unrealistic about Peter's social prowess.

It's the case for MANY guys that age. I sure as hell wasn't the only guy in my school with a girlfriend. And the way things are amped up these days, that's even moreso now. Teen girls aren't sexting to adult men (well, they are, but...)

When? As far as I remember (and I could be wrong), the only time he sees her after Ben's death is when she hugs him. The next time they meet is when she invites him to dinner.

There was a second time he sees her in the hallway, before Ben's death when he brushes her off- with Ben's death she immediately goes to him.

Really? What should she do? Bring him into OsCorp, run a full body scan, check his vitals? He looks human, he acts human, and Spider-Man (from the videos) does, too. There's no reason for her to jump right to the, "Ah! You're a monster!" conclusion.

I'm saying that realisitically she'd at least be a little concerned about this guy. Her non-reaction to his being Spider-Man is extremely unrealistic.

Yes, to her own surprise. As in, for the entire length of the movie, Spider-Man was the man she pined after. It was only when her life was in jeopardy that she thought of Peter Parker. Even up to the hospital scene, she's concerned with what Spider-Man thinks of her. It's only when Peter offers his own opinion that she realizes he's a viable candidate.

EXACTLY. Which is why I said- Peter has to WIN HER. His being Spider-Man isn't a boost for him. Sure, he could've even done what Garfield's Peter does and simply show her that he was Spidey- but he didn't want to win her that way. He understood that MJ's attraction to Spidey was hero-worship based infatuation, and he wanted real love. He wanted her to love him for who he was, not a character that he assumes.

Because at that point, no one has seen the Lizard yet. (If you're referring to the revelation on the rooftop.) Again, you must have a really hard time trusting people if your first conclusion is always, "He might be dangerous." She's known Peter (presumably) for a long time. Finding out he has superpowers isn't going to instantly destroy that trust.

They obviously haven't really known each other- but only seen each other, and are attracted to each other. They've clearly never had a heart-to-heart talk prior to the context of the film, so Gwen is only really getting to know him at the dinner. So no, she doesn't have a reason to trust him, even if he were just a normal guy- but then upon learning that he's Spider-Man- not to mention the jerkish way he was acting toward her father- that should've raised some red flags for her.

I loved their chemistry. It more than made up for the huge mis fire that was Peter and MJ in the Raimi movies. Both Stone and Garfield were so engaging in their scenes together. I could believe that they wanted each other. That they had a spark and an attraction between them that was undeniable.

I look forward to that being built on more in the sequel.

if gwen dies in the second movie, just think: all of the fans will be ultimate disappointed. and a trilogy might not even happen then because viewers may not be interested. also, if gwen dies, the audience will only be contempt if there is a better actress to play MJ. this is impossible because emma stone is already perfect. i am pretty sure she will die with the trilogy, at the end.

Edit: oops not contempt i meant happy

Last edited:
if gwen dies in the second movie, just think: all of the fans will be ultimate disappointed. and a trilogy might not even happen then because viewers may not be interested. also, if gwen dies, the audience will only be contempt if there is a better actress to play MJ. this is impossible because emma stone is already perfect. i am pretty sure she will die with the trilogy, at the end.
... are you serious? :dry:

Emma Stone will also be MJ!

They're twin sisters separated at birth and MJ dyes her hair red.

The audience will get over it

Audiences don't see Spider-Man movies for the love interests (though their execution is crucial to Spidey as he's a very romantic character). TDK killed off its love interest and it still did fine. Granted, Emma Stone's Gwen is better than Dawes (as are most in these movies), but the same applies.

I personally want this series to get as much of the Spidey comics done as possible. Gwen's death isn't the end of the story, it's a great turning point for the character (the story is even called in ASM #121, "Turning Point").

I think it should happen at the end of the second and then do 3 and 4 back to back to show how Peter grieves and triumphs.

Audiences don't see Spider-Man movies for the love interests (though their execution is crucial to Spidey as he's a very romantic character). TDK killed off its love interest and it still did fine. Granted, Emma Stone's Gwen is better than Dawes (as are most in these movies), but the same applies.

I personally want this series to get as much of the Spidey comics done as possible. Gwen's death isn't the end of the story, it's a great turning point for the character (the story is even called in ASM #121, "Turning Point").

I think it should happen at the end of the second and then do 3 and 4 back to back to show how Peter grieves and triumphs.

Considering they were probably banging during the latter half of the production, I don't doubt they had chemistry.

I couldn't stand Tobey and Kirsten, loved watching Emma and Andrew being awkward together. :up:

no she is'nt lol

Dunst should of got nominated for an oscar last year and won beast actress at Cannes last year

Stone is not close to that caliber

Just because now I don't want to say get lucky because Dunst is a pretty decent actress but just because you get lucky with a role doesn't automatically make you better than someone who hasn't. Stone is definitely a more consistently better actress than Dunst.

^not really dunst has always been a very good actress so i dont think you can say got lucky

but people have this unbeatable hate to anyone who sullies their super hero films lol

every thing from Interview With A Vampire,Mona Lisa Smile,Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,Marie Antoinette,Melancholia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"