THE CINEMA LOUNGE

So I saw finally Kevin Smith’s Tusk. I was genuinely enjoying the first half but holy bad place, the second half left me completely bewildered. Johnny Depp felt like an Austin Powers character walked into a horror movie. I can’t remember the last time I saw anything so jarring. The actual Walrus stuff got progressively more silly rather than disturbing as well. Overall a 4/10 and I’d never recommend it to anyone unless you stop the movie half way through. At least then you’ll get a neat little short film.

Last edited:
You're being generous, I thought it was insufferable and it's easily the worst A24 film. But then again I haven't seen it since it came out.

You're being generous, I thought it was insufferable and it's easily the worst A24 film. But then again I haven't seen it since it came out.
I can’t go lower because I think parts of it are quite good.

I like Tusk for the shear insanity of what transpires, but I would agree that it's a hard movie to recommend to anyone.

I like Tusk for the shear insanity of what transpires, but I would agree that it's a hard movie to recommend to anyone.
It was strange, but still quite good. :)

The most insane thing about Tusk is Genesis Rodriguez cheating with that fat kid from Sixth Sense.

I feel like Genesis Rodriguez was market corrected with Eiza González and now I feel like she's being market corrected by Adria Arjona with Andor.

Also I think I should make a market correction thread. There's so many actors that took over other similar actors moment and roles.

I always mix up Eiza Gonzalez with Ana de Armas

The Banshees of Inisherin

Colin Farrell deserves an Oscar. I also won't be surprised if Keoghan gets a nom. This is the best original screenplay winner, easy. Bloody top notch.

i-give-you-my-heart-alita-and-hugo.gif

InsubstantialBreakableDuckling-max-1mb.gif

Amsterdam

What a chore to get through. The best part is Margot Robbie as a brunette. What a waste of a cast. Plot and direction is just a mess, it also bloody drags as the run time goes on forever. For the love of bald God! Please stop trying to make Taylor Swift as an actress happen. At least her big scene will be used as a funny meme/gif in the near future. A damn waste.

Saturday I did a double feature of Armageddon Time and Banshees of Inisherin.

this-is-as-good-as-a-movie-can-get-its-so-great-that-theyre-still-making-these-kinds-of-movies.gif

Been watching some of Tim Burton’s stuff I’ve missed over the years, and l’ve been having a great time. PeeWee’s Big Adventure was surprisingly good, and Ed Wood was terrific.

District 9

Forgot how much I loved this movie, but I caught up with it today. As far as alien type invasion movies this one is high on my list of favorites. It stars Sharlto Copley who I've loved ever since (most recently in The Beast with Indris Elba). I especially like the documentary style of the film and the well done special effects. Glad I rewatched this. :)

District 9

Forgot how much I loved this movie, but I caught up with it today. As far as alien type invasion movies this one is high on my list of favorites. It stars Sharlto Copley who I've loved ever since (most recently in The Beast with Indris Elba). I especially like the documentary style of the film and the well done special effects. Glad I rewatched this. :)
Always a great rewatch. Sadly Bloomcamp's latter efforts (the ones I've watched at least) hasn't hold up for me as well. Always hoping he'd get back to form like District 9. Whatever, this flick is always a great rewatch and IMHO a modern sci-fi classic.

"Bride of Frankenstein" is terrific. I was skeptical when people said it was the best of the universal classics, but now that I've seen it it's definitely true. The physical performances of Boris Carlo and of the titular bride are iconic, and the lab set piece is amazing. There is a bit much of the annoying old lady with the huge eyes at first, but then again, she has a point.

"Bride of Frankenstein" is terrific. I was skeptical when people said it was the best of the universal classics, but now that I've seen it it's definitely true. The physical performances of Boris Carlo and of the titular bride are iconic, and the lab set piece is amazing. There is a bit much of the annoying old lady with the huge eyes at first, but then again, she has a point.
I've only seen it once as part of a midnight movie marathon and it was the standout film of the night. It was beautiful and has stuck with me since. I'll be finally revisiting it next month for Creepmas.

Man, I have probably seen that Babylon trailer at least 20 times since it came out... just because they play it in front of every movie I watch in theaters.

Man, I have probably seen that Babylon trailer at least 20 times since it came out... just because they play it in front of every movie I watch in theaters.

Lots of folks will hate it tho, but Margot and Pitt should get noms. Script is all over the place, but very entertaining. I've always been somewhat fascinated of black and white film stars of that era and how they were basically forgotten in the new era. I've been meaning to track down this doc made in the late 80s about the whole thing, a director interview some of the living stars who were basically living in run down areas and other died tragically etc. Tis' only available on vhs from what I know and no real copies left out there, but I gotta go into my archives to get the name of the thing, it was like 9 parts long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"