THE CINEMA LOUNGE

Well, this was my first Reuben Östlunds film (I've only seen the remake of Force Majeure and wanted to see The Square) and I thought it does great job poking fun at the rich and powerful even more so than any movie I've seen this year (The Menu, Glass Onion, Bodies Bodies Bodies, ect)
The Square kinda pokes fun at the modern art world, but it's more than that. It might not be for everyone, but I found it interesting. The infamous "monkey man" scene of course stands out, but the story is about Claes Bang's character. I'll definitely watch ToS (and of course The Menu and Glass Onion).

BFI/Sight and Sound is out with their once-every-ten-years "Greatest Films of All Time" list.

#1 Critics' choice: Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975), directed by Chantal Akerman

I confess I've never even heard of this movie before. But, apparently, it's a highly regarded avantgarde/feminist film. On the last list, it ranked #35 — so quite the jump!

The Greatest Films of All Time | BFI

#1 Directors' choice: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), directed by Stanley Kubrick

Directors’ 100 Greatest Films of All Time | BFI

BFI/Sight and Sound is out with their once-every-ten-years "Greatest Films of All Time" list.

#1 Critics' choice: Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975), directed by Chantal Akerman

I confess I've never even heard of this movie before. But, apparently, it's a highly regarded avantgarde/feminist film. On the last list, it ranked #35 — so quite the jump!

The Greatest Films of All Time | BFI

#1 Directors' choice: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), directed by Stanley Kubrick

Directors’ 100 Greatest Films of All Time | BFI

I've seen it only once long ago. Paul Schrader is right. Tis' all I'll say about it.

I still have a few Tarkovsky films to discover and watch for the first time tho, which is exciting to me.

View attachment 60332

8/10 - Great movie. You guys should catch it in theaters if the story interests you.
Took a break from Finals today to catch it and loved it. Stellar performances all around and amazing work from Luca. Annoying that it takes an Italian to realize the MidWest looks good in movies :o

I definitely hope to see Taylor Russell in a lot more stuff after this. Real star-making move. Shame the awards cycle is sure to ignore this flick, because it deserves so much. EEAAO remains untopped as my fave of the year, though. Still need to see Banshees, Aftersun, Pinocchio and Decision to Leave, but don't know if I can catch them all before they leave town.

Taylor Swift, James Cameron Set for Variety's Directors on Directors - Variety

Next week, Variety will premiere its annual Directors on Directors series with conversations between directors of the biggest films of the year.

Taylor Swift (“All Too Well”) and Martin McDonagh (“The Banshees of Inisherin”) will start off the series, with their video premiering on Monday, Dec. 12 at 11 a.m. PT on Variety.com and Variety social media channels.

Other Directors on Directors video conversations include:

James Cameron (“Avatar: The Way of the Water”) with Robert Rodriguez

Ryan Coogler (“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”) with Gina Prince-Bythewood (“The Woman King”)

Chinonye Chukwu (“Till”) with Tyler Perry (“A Jazzman’s Blues”)

Sarah Polley (“Women Talking”) with Francis Ford Coppola

Joe Kosinski (“Top Gun: Maverick”) with Rian Johnson (“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”)

I'm now in awe of Mia Goth.

I probably can't post that 'Infinity Pool' trailer, but it looks great. Brandon Cronenberg got next! More folks should/should've seen 'Possessor'..

I got word that they are possibly dumping 'Sanctuary' straight to streaming next week. No fuss. No real announcement, no promo, nothing. Just on vod. The premise sounded kinda dark and fun. Eh. We shall see. Margaret Qualley as a dominatrix. Christopher Abbot as her client.

So, I wasn't really interested in the Mean Girls Musical movie, but today they announced the leads and it officially has my attention:

https://playbill.com/article/renee-rapp-jaquel-spivey-more-cast-in-mean-girls-movie-musical

Angourie Rice in a Leading Role + actually getting musical actors to play musical roles? Count me in. Plus getting the best Broadway Regina to come back for the big screen?

c5d02c15884d8f625d49817a724df8781c3f702b.gif

Christopher Abbot as her client.

It's crazy that after all the times @Boom have raved about Christopher Abbott in the Batboards, he's gotten such a big push recently as an indie star between It Comes at Night, Black Bear, Possessor, and On the Count of Three.

He also had a guest star in Ramy which was hilarious.

With my luck of trying to reach to 200 films for the year, I'll probably have my top 10 ready by February.

Also, it's a weird feeling to have where a director that I've defended for years has a movie out that's on a lot of people's top 10 lists and yet it's nowhere near mine.

I only saw the big CBMs in theatres this year, but I've watched a ton of other movies on streaming. And the weird part is, I can barely remember any of them...

Sadly I haven't seen most of the Best of the Year contenders yet, but Pinocchio, Pearl, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Northman, Triangle Of Sadness, Barbarian, Ambulance, and Banshees of Inisherin are all on my radar...

I only saw the big CBMs in theatres this year, but I've watched a ton of other movies on streaming. And the weird part is, I can barely remember any of them...

Sadly I haven't seen most of the Best of the Year contenders yet, but Pinocchio, Pearl, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Northman, Triangle Of Sadness, Barbarian, Ambulance, and Banshees of Inisherin are all on my radar...
I still need to see Pinocchio, Triangle Of Sadness and Banshees on your list. The other ones I personally highly enjoyed. The three ones mentioned I have high hopes about, and will watch shortly. Damn, so many movies and so little time (as usual lol).

Last edited:
I still have several left to see before I can do any official ranking. Primarily - Decision To Leave, Banshees of Inisherin and Aftersun. And then of course the ones that still haven't dropped - Women Talking, Avatar, The Whale and Living.

Well damn, The Fabelmans went up to #2. The only ones left that I’m interested in are Knives Out 2, The Whale, and Avatar 2. I was looking forward to White Noise but the reception hasn’t been too positive. Aftersun sounds interesting but I’m not planning on it yet.

FE54C752-1844-4E7C-9BDB-1553CD5E00F0.jpeg

First time I've heard of Triangle of Sadness. Seems like I have some research to do.

Research done!!!

seems very interesting, the director made The Square which is hilarious, insightful and quite disturbing, so I'll check it out.

I really hope Triangle of Sadness makes some noise at this years Oscars.

I really hope it wins something.

Something that absurd and wild but also heartfelt is exactly what the Award shows need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"