THE CINEMA LOUNGE

Surprised by the absence of Nope and Banshees. And wow, Emily the Criminal. Enjoyed that one, but didn't expect it to show up here.

Are we here to see Barbie or a re-release of Amadeus? Who's to say.

I for one would absolutely dress up for a re-release of Amadeus.

I for one would absolutely dress up for a re-release of Amadeus.
CW at the theater for the re-release:
drama-comedy.gif

Darth at the same theater:
amadeus-salieri-jealous.gif

I got half way through Amsterdam before I quit. I can’t remember the last time I saw so many A-list actors give such dry, lifeless performances. I’m shocked at how bad it was.
American Hustle’s characters were actual characters, at least. The ones in Amsterdam are just…shticks. One of the most tedious viewing experiences I’ve had, tbh.
This is by far the most interesting thing I've heard about Amsterdam. It also explains the reviews.

Surprised by the absence of Nope and Banshees. And wow, Emily the Criminal. Enjoyed that one, but didn't expect it to show up here.

I thought half of Emily the Criminal worked really well but I didn't care for the soap opera-y romantic subplot that kinda takes over the movie.

I'm going to assume the only reason Banshees isn't on Obama's list is because he hasn't seen it yet. :funny:

I need to give After Yang another shot. I watched it on a plane and was pretty underwhelmed by it.

Banshees was just okay. It felt underwritten and a bit repetitive.

Amsterdam is a weird movie. And it's not even a good weird.

Its going to be such a ****ing bad movie. But it is checking some boxes for me, so I'm going to go see it.

The bad side of watching 200 movies a year is you always get the really awful ones that you can't find anyone else who's seen it.

I need someone to talk about Mack & Rita with me. :o

I felt the same way about There will be Blood. I didn't get that one either.
A lot of There Will Be Blood was lost on me when I first saw it even though I was still captivated by Daniel Day-Lewis but I watched it again a couple years ago and loved it.

A lot of There Will Be Blood was lost on me when I first saw it even though I was still captivated by Daniel Day-Lewis but I watched it again a couple years ago and loved it.
Likewise. Great character drama and metaphor about religion and big business. So much stuff flew over head when I saw it in 2007.

The bad side of watching 200 movies a year is you always get the really awful ones that you can't find anyone else who's seen it.

I need someone to talk about Mack & Rita with me. :o
Why 200? That’s way too much.

Well, I've been doing it since 2018. I want to hit a goal each year and 200 seems like the perfect number that encapsulates the entire year of film, the good and the bad.

I tried to do it in 2017 but I only lasted to 190 films.

Well, I've been doing it since 2018. I want to hit a goal each year and 200 seems like the perfect number that encapsulates the entire year of film, the good and the bad.

I tried to do it in 2017 but I only lasted to 190 films.
Kudos. I wish I could squeeze in that many new releases or maybe even 100. I can barely get to 50.

I usually end up playing tug of war with my brain around this time of year about which remaining movies I really still want to check out. The Whale will probably be my last time at the theater until Ant-Man 3 comes out in February but I've gotta admit, all the buzz I'm seeing on Twitter about Babylon may get the best of my curiosity if I get really bored this week and decide to check it out in theaters after all.

I only started in July logging the movies I watched on Letterboxd. I’ve seen 102 so far this year.

I usually end up playing tug of war with my brain around this time of year about which remaining movies I really still want to check out. The Whale will probably be my last time at the theater until Ant-Man 3 comes out in February but I've gotta admit, all the buzz I'm seeing on Twitter about Babylon may get the best of my curiosity if I get really bored this week and decide to check it out in theaters after all.
I’ve got 3 more I want to check out (Avatar 2, Aftersun, and White Noise). The more I read about The Whale and Babylon the more discouraged I get. I will probably watch them some point. Not a priority though.

I’ve got 3 more I want to check out (Avatar 2, Aftersun, and White Noise). The more I read about The Whale and Babylon the more discouraged I get. I will probably watch them some point. Not a priority though.
I'm seeing The Whale solely for Brendan Fraser. Regardless of what I think about the movie itself I don't expect I'll be disappointed by his performance. And I forgot about White Noise too, I saw an ad for it on Netflix the other day and I might check that one out just because it's streaming.

I feel like The Whale, Babylon, Bardo, and Triangle of Sadness have been getting a lot of "Love it or hate it" from people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"