THE CINEMA LOUNGE

We all love Carpenter but c'mon, the man hasn't directed a hit film in what, 40 years?

Halloween '78 was obviously a game-changing classic and on everyone's list of the most influential films of all time, but he can't just coast on that forever...

Carpenter has made some great films after Halloween.

they just weren't big hits at the time.

Escape from New York, The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, and They Live are muthaf***in classics!

i've even enjoyed some of his lesser work...like Vampires.

when a man's directed a list of films like that...we gonna keep talking bout him. and we gonna keep interviewing the man. it's all gravy baby!

Yeah Carpenter is on my mount rushmore of directors. What a legend.

he's the Zack Snyder to your movie cultdom.

J/K!

but yea, as long as Carpenter walks this earth, people will keep interviewing him.
he always has these hilarious responses.
he's irreverent and dgaf but u can tell he LOVES film and the history of film.

Carpenter has made some great films after Halloween.

they just weren't big hits at the time.

Escape from New York, The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, and They Live are muthaf***in classics!

i've even enjoyed some of his lesser work...like Vampires.

when a man's directed a list of films like that...we gonna keep talking bout him. and we gonna keep interviewing the man. it's all gravy baby!

No arguments from me. The Fog, Escape from New York, The Thing, Christine, Starman, Big Trouble, They Live, Vampires...

All stone cold classics and among my favourite genre films of all time. But unfortunately none of them were huge hits. In fact, I believe most of them were money-losers at the box office...

Geek cred aside, I believe he was joking about his Hollywood currency in that article. When you have a resume with more box office clunkers than hits, I guess your calls stop being returned unfortunately :funny:

he's doing OK since he gets a check for every time a Halloween movie gets made or whenever they remake any of his films. :grin:

but in terms of legacy to movie history, he is gold.

I’m 50/50 with Carpenter. He’s not one of my favorites but I won’t argue with anyone who thinks otherwise.

For me Carpenter is the pinnacle of what B-movie directors aspire to be - he's got pure B-movie sensibilities, but he makes B-movies that are so good, they turn into A-movies lol.

giphy.gif

This was a great breakdown of why dialogue in movies and shows is so spotty.

Occasionally I'll find myself turning on subtitles if I'm watching a movie or show with a lot of plot threads and characters to stay more focused and keep track of names if I'm not familiar with the story.

Definitely needed subtitles on for The Banshees of Inisherin. :o

Everything I watch has subtitles. I'm so used to it now that I doubt I could watch anything without them...

My roommate and I have elderly neighbours on either side of us, and the walls in this building are as thin as paper.

The neighbours go to bed at like 9:00 PM so we need to keep the volume low on our devices or they'll complain about the noise...

giphy.gif

I never knew they made a Birdemic 2! Guess I shouldn’t be surprised though, the original was a wildly popular midnight madness title at my theater back in DC. :funny:

Nguyen is no Neil Breen, but maybe he’ll get there. :hehe:

I never knew they made a Birdemic 2! Guess I shouldn’t be surprised though, the original was a wildly popular midnight madness title at my theater back in DC. :funny:

Nguyen is no Neil Breen, but maybe he’ll get there. :hehe:

I would be careful of his other 2 films, Julie and Jack, and Replica. Only to be viewed by Rifftrax.

Haven't seen Birdemic 2 but the first one always felt like it was trying too hard to be a bad movie.

It's no Troll 2 or The Room.

...or even Samurai Cop.

Nah, the level of just bad filmmaking is to much to be on purpose.

So much driving....

Everything I watch has subtitles. I'm so used to it now that I doubt I could watch anything without them...

My roommate and I have elderly neighbours on either side of us, and the walls in this building are as thin as paper.

The neighbours go to bed at like 9:00 PM so we need to keep the volume low on our devices or they'll complain about the noise...

giphy.gif
I grew up learning how to keep up with reading subtitles on the TV (which of course felt totally impossible in the beginning as a little kid lol), since despite only having two channels before around the mid 80s, we still had some TV-shows and movies from all around the world in various languages.

Even today I prefer having English subtitles on English language movies/TV-shows since I can watch them late at night with low volume without disturbing the neighbours (like you mentioned).

But when it comes to stuff like Star Trek techno-babble; Yeah, I actually prefer those subtitles in my own language, otherwise I might miss out the whole effing plot of the episode, in case my limited English would make me missing out on some single bloody technical term lol.

I grew up learning how to keep up with reading subtitles on the TV (which of course felt totally impossible in the beginning as a little kid lol), since despite only having two channels before around the mid 80s, we still had some TV-shows and movies from all around the world in various languages.

Even today I prefer having English subtitles on English language movies/TV-shows since I can watch them late at night with low volume without disturbing the neighbours (like you mentioned).

But when it comes to stuff like Star Trek techno-babble; Yeah, I actually prefer those subtitles in my own language, otherwise I might miss out the whole effing plot of the episode, in case my limited English would make me missing out on some single bloody technical term lol.

Honestly my friend, I wouldn't even know that English was your second language from reading your posts!

Your English is as good as mine :yay:

Honestly my friend, I wouldn't even know that English was your second language from reading your posts!

Your English is as good as mine :yay:
That's very nice of you to say, thanks! But I swear I constantly scratches my head when I forget words or spelling, or notice that I written something that really doesn't add up grammaticly, but I have to figure out what went wrong. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"