The Coronavirus’ Impact On The Film Industry Thread

So only 5% of all cinemas there opened this week, most will follow in late April or even May. Right now people spent only few thousand dollars... Honestly this will be a long, long process and I highly doubt Tenet or Wonder Woman will keep their dates. Maybe even mid/late September could be too early in most big markets.

I notice how much a comedy lessens when I watch it at home as opposed to a theatre. It’s never as funny than with a big crowd laughing along with you.
That's true. The Hangover movies, especially the sequels, come to mind for me.

Another example: The Invisible Man was one of the last films I saw before the theater shutdown. The theater was mostly empty save for myself, my girlfriend and maybe about 10 other people. While I still thought it was a good film, I think the emptiness of the theater kind of took away from my enjoyment of the film because it's definitely made for some big crowd reactions in a few scenes.

That's true. The Hangover movies, especially the sequels, come to mind for me.

Another example: The Invisible Man was one of the last films I saw before the theater shutdown. The theater was mostly empty save for myself, my girlfriend and maybe about 10 other people. While I still thought it was a good film, I think the emptiness of the theater kind of took away from my enjoyment of the film because it's definitely made for some big crowd reactions in a few scenes.

Horror is great for that "DONT GO IN THERE!" factor. Comedy is great for the contagious laughs.

Everything else...keep your mouth shut in a theater.

i dont need to see every movie in theaters but man If I saw endgame at home the first time it would have been no where near the same experience.

I saw Endgame in theaters 3 times - first time was in 3D on an extra-large color gamut-improved screen (AMC's Prime) w/ their beefed-up surround sound system, second time was in 70mm IMAX, and third was on a standard screen.

I have a 46" 1080p TV at home w/ stereo floorstanding speakers, which are designed more for 2-channel hi-fi music playback than movies. Even if I had a larger-size 4K TV and 5.1 speakers, it still wouldn't compare to the theater experience. I'm always going to prefer going to a theater to experience certain movies. Action blockbusters for sure, but some movies really benefit from the crowd experience too. I'll watch movies at home on my TV, and even on my 15" laptop PC sometimes (with headphones for better sound), but I'm one of those who will go to the theater over watching something at home most of the time.

Heh I saw that movie twice, just because I wanted to catch it with a bigger crowd the second time. Better experience the second time for sure. :)

I saw Endgame in theaters 3 times - first time was in 3D on an extra-large color gamut-improved screen (AMC's Prime) w/ their beefed-up surround sound system, second time was in 70mm IMAX, and third was on a standard screen.

I have a 46" 1080p TV at home w/ stereo floorstanding speakers, which are designed more for 2-channel hi-fi music playback than movies. Even if I had a larger-size 4K TV and 5.1 speakers, it still wouldn't compare to the theater experience. I'm always going to prefer going to a theater to experience certain movies. Action blockbusters for sure, but some movies really benefit from the crowd experience too. I'll watch movies at home on my TV, and even on my 15" laptop PC sometimes (with headphones for better sound), but I'm one of those who will go to the theater over watching something at home most of the time.

Heh I saw that movie twice, just because I wanted to catch it with a bigger crowd the second time. Better experience the second time for sure. :)

quiet place 2 whenever it drops is the perfect theater experience, most patrons will be scared to nibble on popcorn lol

I'd be happy for theatres to still leave space between audience members even after this is over.

I'd be happy for theatres to still leave space between audience members even after this is over.
I would agree with that. I sometimes used to buy my own extra buffer seat just for that reason.

There's nothing like a cinema experience and it honestly angers me how some people think e don't need movie theaters. It's an experience that simply can't be replicated at home. Good luck trying to get movie directors to agree with you too because 99% of them don't. People like Christopher Nolan would never release a movie directly on VOD. like never, so I'd say movie theaters are here to stay.

Last edited:
Sources tell Variety that most studios are letting talent and their reps know that at this point they do not expect these stalled productions to get back underway until mid-May at the earliest. When most of these shutdowns were first announced, studios hinted that it was possible that people could go back to work in April. But even May could be overly optimistic — the pandemic is not expected to reach its apex in major production hubs like New York City until the end of April.

Hollywood’s Biggest Movies Are Stuck in Limbo as Start Dates Remain Uncertain

During some of these opening weekend showings I've been to in recent years, it honestly wouldn't have been a bad idea.

There's nothing like a cinema experience and it honestly angers me how some people think e don't need movie theaters. It's an experience that simply can't be replicated at home. Good luck trying to get movie directors to agree with you too because 99% of them don't. People like Christopher Nolan would never release a movie directly on VOD. like never, so I'd say movie theaters are here to stay.

A cinema experience SHOULD be special. But too many theaters are cutting corners on sound and visual quality, not making sure that people aren't on their phones the entire time or having conversations during the films etc. This down time is a great chance for the theaters to start looking for ways to TRULY give us a one of a kind experience.

Last edited:
When there is something in the theater I want to see, I try to go in the middle of the week to avoid the crowds as much as possible.

Sunday nights ironically were a blessing in my neck of the woods to go. Must be everyone gearing up for a work week etc

Alamo Drafthouse is pretty much the gold standard regarding theaters as they don't **** around when dealing with idiots.

Horror is great for that "DONT GO IN THERE!" factor. Comedy is great for the contagious laughs.

Everything else...keep your mouth shut in a theater.

I love watching comedies with a big crowd because I feel I always laugh harder but I HATE horror movies in crowds. There's always a group of stupid teenagers that scream, then laugh at everything.

Get Out was one of the best horror theatre crowd experiences.

Well, whatever idea China had in re-opening cinemas just went up in smoke.

China Moves to Re-Shutter All Cinemas Nationwide

Hours after municipal authorities in Shanghai gave more than 200 cinemas the green light to re-open Saturday, national-level Chinese authorities on Friday ordered all theaters throughout the country shut again, likely due to concerns over renewed coronavirus threat.

Around 500 theaters across the country had attempted to re-open, but seen little financial benefit from doing so, with screenings averaging less than a person a day and a national daily box office intake in the low thousands of dollars.

They had only re-opened their doors after receiving direct authorization from their local government bodies, who verified that they were following mandated health procedures.

But now, China’s national film bureau has ordered them all shut again, without saying exactly why or when they might hope to re-open.

I despise quoting Madonna but it really is the great equalizer. Money and authority don't mean **** right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"