The Coronavirus’ Impact On The Film Industry Thread

So EURO, Olympics already postponed, Wimbledon should follow next week, golf majors as well...yeah, I don't think Tenet or Wonder Woman can be released during summer. And who knows if Tenet's post-production will be even finished on time with people working from home.

So EURO, Olympics already postponed, Wimbledon should follow next week, golf majors as well...yeah, I don't think Tenet or Wonder Woman can be released during summer. And who knows if Tenet's post-production will be even finished on time with people working from home.

Wonder Woman 1984 has already been moved to August, but it may move again.

A cinema experience SHOULD be special. But too many theaters are cutting corners on sound and visual quality, not making sure that people aren't on their phones the entire time or having conversations during the films etc. This down time is a great chance for the theaters to start looking for ways to TRULY give us a one of a kind experience.

Speaking as someone who worked in the industry for over a decade, I believe the industry’s decision to go with digital projection has hurt them in this regard more than anyone will ever admit. When Tarantino says things like “Digital Projection is just public TV” it may seem pretentious at first, but he’s actually right. Theaters are not offering anything unique. They are offering exactly what you get at home just on a bigger screen with louder speakers. The majority of theaters in America have projectors that play 2K resolution. Most theaters in America went digital in 2010 and most are still running the same digital projectors from the original transition. Think about how much technology has evolved in 10 years? How many versions of cell phones have we had in that time? You’re telling me we’re getting technology worth the price of admission for something 10 years old? The average person may not know the difference between film and digital, but I think subliminally, more people were aware that they were getting something different at the theater during film projection. Home theaters and big screen TVs aren’t new, but the “I can see it at home and get the same thing” attitude was rarely brought up until theaters went digital. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

Continuing with the discussion on technology, YES, movie theaters have not adjusted to cell phones at all. They may feel it’s a waste of payroll at first, but I truly believe that they will make more money and have better business in the long run if they assign a staff member for each auditorium to stand in the theater and check for phones and noisy audience members during the entire duration of the film. Our corporate put a stop to it for payroll issues, but we experimented with this for a month a few years ago and got really strong feedback from customers and our box office numbers greatly increased despite being a slow month for new releases.

I cherish the theatrical experience and I normally go thirty or more times a year(I’m single and work in the production side of things now so I go for free a lot), but theaters are completely dropping the ball on making the experience better and it frustrates me and saddens me. When people tell me they don’t think the theatrical experience is special and they rather watch a movie at home it crushes my heart. However, considering how poorly theaters are run, I unfortunately understand their point.

I know but even August will be too soon.

How is it "too soon"? If enough people practice their social distancing, the virus should peak by late May. I can see theaters reopening by July, but it's a day-by-day kind of thing.

The coronavirus situation is awful for movie exhibitors and studios alike, but particularly for Marvel Studios' current 2020 and 2021 lineup. Production is paused on Shang-Chi, which I don't see making its February 2021 date unless the virus peaks earlier than expected. (It's possible The Eternals will move to that spot.)

WB isn't as dependent on their superhero lineup. I could see The Batman being moved to July 15, 2021 (too close to The Suicide Squad tho) or even October 1, 2021 (and Elvis would move to Christmas).

Speaking as someone who worked in the industry for over a decade, I believe the industry’s decision to go with digital projection has hurt them in this regard more than anyone will ever admit. When Tarantino says things like “Digital Projection is just public TV” it may seem pretentious at first, but he’s actually right. Theaters are not offering anything unique. They are offering exactly what you get at home just on a bigger screen with louder speakers. The majority of theaters in America have projectors that play 2K resolution. Most theaters in America went digital in 2010 and most are still running the same digital projectors from the original transition. Think about how much technology has evolved in 10 years? How many versions of cell phones have we had in that time? You’re telling me we’re getting technology worth the price of admission for something 10 years old? The average person may not know the difference between film and digital, but I think subliminally, more people were aware that they were getting something different at the theater during film projection. Home theaters and big screen TVs aren’t new, but the “I can see it at home and get the same thing” attitude was rarely brought up until theaters went digital. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

Continuing with the discussion on technology, YES, movie theaters have not adjusted to cell phones at all. They may feel it’s a waste of payroll at first, but I truly believe that they will make more money and have better business in the long run if they assign a staff member for each auditorium to stand in the theater and check for phones and noisy audience members during the entire duration of the film. Our corporate put a stop to it for payroll issues, but we experimented with this for a month a few years ago and got really strong feedback from customers and our box office numbers greatly increased despite being a slow month for new releases.

I cherish the theatrical experience and I normally go thirty or more times a year(I’m single and work in the production side of things now so I go for free a lot), but theaters are completely dropping the ball on making the experience better and it frustrates me and saddens me. When people tell me they don’t think the theatrical experience is special and they rather watch a movie at home it crushes my heart. However, considering how poorly theaters are run, I unfortunately understand their point.

I agree. Nothing annoys me more than phones during a movie screening.

How is it "too soon"? If enough people practice their social distancing, the virus should peak by late May. I can see theaters reopening by July, but it's a day-by-day kind of thing.

The coronavirus situation is awful for movie exhibitors and studios alike, but particularly for Marvel Studios' current 2020 and 2021 lineup. Production is paused on Shang-Chi, which I don't see making its February 2021 date unless the virus peaks earlier than expected. (It's possible The Eternals will move to that spot.)

WB isn't as dependent on their superhero lineup. I could see The Batman being moved to July 15, 2021 (too close to The Suicide Squad tho) or even October 1, 2021 (and Elvis would move to Christmas).
China closed cinemas in January and probably won't open them again before May. And they were super strict unlike US or western Europe plus it was mostly in Wuhan. And even when cinemas open can studios release their big movies immediately? And what if capacity is lowered by 50% for first few weeks anyway?

As much in dismay as I am about not seeing anything this summer except on TV or streaming, I get that there are bigger issues at this point.

A lot of the films that are supposed to open in July and August will have to do a lot of marketing. I doubt WB would release Tenet and Wonder Woman with their stars and director just doing promotion/interviews through a video call from their house. Also How can WB juggle all these marketing gigs in less than two months, especially in the middle of a worldwide pandemic? We don't even know for sure, how long the lockdowns in many countries will end and I doubt the masses, would head straight to a cinema after the lockdown has ended in their area. Well there are going to be people that would do that, but heading to cinemas won't be as casual compare to last year. Especially if people are still being adviced/required to social distance by that point, the cinemas would be 1/4 full - no one should sit next to you and the seats in your front and back should be empty in order to follow social distancing.

Next week, the number of cases will hit a million. And I just don't see Hollywood studios can go back to business as usual in a few months, when America is already #1 with the most cases.

Imo, at this rate, give it a six month break (that includes this month), we don't want this corona to have a second wave, because Hollywood was eager to release their blockbusters in cinemas. Its only going to hurt everybody in the long run.

Last edited:
oh please god, no
i really couldn‘t watch contaigon or outbreak

It would probably be called Corona or Virus and not use the same names again.

Of course, the real impact on the industry will be that we'll be seeing an increase in the number of disaster/pandemic/doomsday movies.
Back in the 70's and 80's this was TVs job. Anything in the headlines became a movie of the week, but they don't do that anymore. So I can see several dramas with big stars in them movies coming out of this.

Back in the 70's and 80's this was TVs job. Anything in the headlines became a movie of the week, but they don't do that anymore. So I can see several dramas with big stars in them movies coming out of this.
You say that, but I just know SVU will work in a pandemic storyline somehow.

You say that, but I just know SVU will work in a pandemic storyline somehow.
Yeah, several episodic shows will work it in....but I used to be treated to weekly movies RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES starring all the biggest names from TV.

August sounds fine at this point, hopefully even July if it passes enough in time which it seems like it might. Films shouldn't be postponed for longer than what is necessary.

As much in dismay as I am about not seeing anything this summer except on TV or streaming, I get that there are bigger issues at this point.

Absolutely, but isn’t this thread specifically about the impact of the virus on the film industry? It’s interesting to discuss even knowing it’s not a high priority right now.

Absolutely, but isn’t this thread specifically about the impact of the virus on the film industry? It’s interesting to discuss even knowing it’s not a high priority right now.
It is but I see people getting into almost a fervor over it which ain't doing them any good.

with all how this escalating everywhere, they won‘t open cinemas again this summer.
imagine, we‘re able to flatten the curve in maybe late april, unless we‘ll have a vaccine one infected person in a cinema could cause another outbreak

If Tiger King gets another adaption/series, this certainly will.

with all how this escalating everywhere, they won‘t open cinemas again this summer.
imagine, we‘re able to flatten the curve in maybe late april, unless we‘ll have a vaccine one infected person in a cinema could cause another outbreak

The vaccine is 12-18 months away. They're not going to close down theaters until there's a vaccine.

It seems the goal is to slow down the acceleration of people getting it (the peak being when most cases happen), wait until that passes which reduces the likelihood that it will continue to pass to others (the more who have it - the more who are supposedly immune ("supposedly" since no one knows for sure yet if people can catch it again, signs currently point to no), and then to carry on half-tilt until the vaccine happens. But, shutting down until a vaccine comes won't happen - that will mainly be up to the discretion of the individual because that is 12-18 months away.

We're hitting the peak in a couple of weeks to a month, we'll be in the peek for a couple of weeks, then it goes back down. People will still be anxiety prone come mid-July but I'd be surprised if theaters don't open mid-July and leave the decision up to the people on whether or not they individually want to venture out.

Locking and shutting down until the vaccine may be what some people wish, but most won't go along with that. Most will wait for the peak to go down and then slowly get back to normal (looking like June will be that adjustment period with April being build up to the peak/hitting it, May being the peak and going back down, with what I'm seeing from reports on peak time tables).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"