The Coronavirus’ Impact On The Film Industry Thread

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Detective Conan, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Yeah, I fear my more local chain who just went into bankruptcy is going to fold over this, rather than losing a few theaters...

flickchick85 likes this.
  2. liesse00 The Winter Soldier

I didn’t think there was any chance at all that the big blockbusters postponed by the closures would be sent right to digital but with AMC possibly not reopening this year I’m starting to think differently. I think AMC is the biggest theater chain in the world and if they don’t come back and with people still not comfortable being with larger groups of people these big movies are not going to make anywhere close to what they would of under normal circumstances. I wonder if studios are thinking about releasing these movies in whatever theaters come back but also making them available to rent online at home for $20 like some are now.

Blackman likes this.
  3. DarkKnight88 Registered

No. But if they did ever do that, don't think for a second it would be as low as $20. Think more $40-$50 for the big movies. Maybe even more.

#629 DarkKnight88, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Blackman likes this.
  4. Blackman C'mon Son

Again with this?
    People are losing their jobs, people are losing their livelihoods, people are straight up losing their lives. You can stop with the "Hollywood spends to much" schtick. It's really dumb to bring it up now and during this situation.
    Especially when:
    a) there are other industries (and that's from big things like major league sports to mom and pop operations) and businesses that don't spend nearly much as Hollywood and are suffering as well. So why constantly complain about what Hollywood is spending when even people who don't spend nearly as much are suffering as well.
    b) Not many could've predicted something as big as this happening. Despite financial woes, on the whole the film industry has been pretty recession proof. A world stopping event was not anything that was on everybody's radar

People in the Superhero Cinematic War thread already told you how silly your point is.

Blitzkrieg, Snow Queen and Sithborg like this.
  5. Blackman C'mon Son

Yeah
    With renting at home you don't have spend that much on tickets.
    For example taking a family of 4 to go see Onward is probably like $40-$50 already with tickets, snacks, etc.
    Studios wouldn't want to lose money on that. $20 is basically like 1 ticket and they'd lose on the other $3 tickets

6. The Guard Registered

If anything, Hollywood is likely to take less risks after this. Which is unfortunate.

7. jmc away for a while

Why bring this up? Because this is a thread about the movie industry, duh. If I wanted to talk about the impact this will have on sports I'll take it to the sport forum. We're living through history and when we come out the other side the world is going to be very different. Anyone who thinks things will simply go back to normal isn't looking at what happens with events like this. You can call it 'silly', I call it being realistic. The wallets across this industry and others are going to be a lot tighter moving forward because consumer spending it going to be very lean for years. We'll be lucky if this doesn't turn into another great depression. If ever there's a chance to make changes to the industry and create better business models for movies then now's the chance. Frankly, the studios may have no say in the matter.

Alien Anal and psylockolussus like this.
  8. SPO2 Dalisay Locked down on hiatus

I don' think there is any chance that a home rental would cost more than a night out for two, with theatre popcorn and snacks. But then I am assuming singles and couples make up most blockbuster audiences not the American family with 1.14 children or the Chinese family with 0.87 kids on average.

9. Alien Anal Registered

I am with you on this. This is a great time for change, something I really want to see is the rise of small indie films like we had in the late 80s early 90s. Lets hand the microphone/camera over to people that haven't been handed a silver spoon all their life and hear new voices.

Lets have 100 $1,000,000 films rather than one 100 million dollar films.

10. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

It is a difficult issue because at $20 you lose money on families, but at $40-50 singles are going to balk as they would be paying 3-4x as much as they would at the theater.

Prison Mike likes this.
  11. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Thats quite eXtreme. How about both? I like storytelling/great acting but I also like high quality cinematography/camera work, visual effects, bombastic score, mindblowing setpieces, eXquisite production design and those sometimes need big money to produce. There are a lot of films out there that could have been so much better if they got a studio backing them up in finances.

Also,indie films have been around forever and streaming sites is already giving attention that they might've not gotten a few decades ago. Both can co-eXist.

12. Detective Conan Registered

13. Detective Conan Registered

14. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

15. -JKR- Registered

I wouldn't worry too much. Often in cases like this another big chain buys the structure and redesigns it.

DarkKnight88 and Schlosser85 like this.
  16. jmc away for a while

What on earth makes anyone think someone is simply going to come along and buy the big chain? Folks, this is a world changing event we're going through. Whatever was the norm in business a month ago is no longer likely to be the way things are done moving forward.

17. Albright Registered

btw when the economy ends the shutdown, it won’t be possible to shoot a movie the usual way. no close lovescenes or fighting scenes, not mentioning the procedures that require close distances like makeup and so on.
    There won‘t be filmings for a long time...

18. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

Everything will be CG basically as far as casting doubles and stuff.

Detective Conan likes this.
  19. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

Until we have a widespread, effective, readily available vaccine, I don't see how big movie productions assembling thousands of people are going to be at all possible.

Not within the few months they're still hoping for.

psylockolussus likes this.
  20. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

I think we will be seeing a lot more animated movieswhere the production can be done remotely by most of the cast and crew.

Schlosser85 likes this.
  21. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Well there probably won't be any romantic comedies, unless there's one which is set during lockdown. Maybe similar to "You've Got Mail" where two people meet and develop their relationship online, but never get physical because of social distancing. Something like that could be made, but each actor would need their own high-quality camera to film themselves, as they can't just film it over their iPhone.

Maybe a Rear Window-style murder mystery over Zoom. Someone could also hack a Zoom meeting to gain access to another.

22. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

A Zoom footage movie perhaps. Or found footage films could make a comeback.

23. Albright Registered

this is not only affects romantic encounters in movies. also family moments between parents and children or relatives, friends...won‘t be possible to film that without masks

24. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I expect there will be a few movies set during the Coronavirus. I can't imagine there wouldn't be at all or that no-one would acknowledge it and make out as if it never happened. It's too significant an event in world history. It might almost seem as if people were sweeping all under the carpet if it was never acknowledged in films or even TV shows.