The Coronavirus’ Impact On The Film Industry Thread

If they think they can still drop Tenet in theaters in July and make anything even close to a profit, they're crazy.

I think, for particular movies, studios will have to decide whether or not they wanna push back the release to next year in hopes of making more money once things are normal enough, or drop it on VOD and take the financial loss but be eligible for the oscars.

Films use to be in theatres for months. Maybe they have to consider reverting to that format.

^ Most typical "average" movies have had theatrical runs of somewhere between 2 to 3 months. Blockbusters have had up to 5 in recent years (i.e., Avengers Endgame almost made it to 5).

IMO we need to revert to something like Titanic which was in theaters for 9 months. Or at least 6 months at minimum. An intentionally dragged-out theatrical run for every single movie that comes out (once theaters re-open) would be a boon for both box office and social distancing. It's clearly the way to go if the movie studios & theaters have their heads on and actually think about this. Doing anything else would be insane.

For example, WB could still release Tenet in July if they really wanted to, but they should announce from the beginning that it's going to be in theaters for at least 6 months. Then there won't be a mad rush for everyone to catch it on opening weekend (maybe it should open on a Monday instead?), and folks could trickle in to watch it over a 6-month period. And with theaters' online seat reservation systems today (I can't think of a single theater chain that doesn't have one), it'd be a cinch to set open seat policies to enforce social distancing. Heck, theaters could start by selling as little as 10% of seat capacity (or whatever makes sense, like 1 or 2 seats per row) when they re-open, and gradually increase that over time.

Last edited:
A lot of theaters here were forced when Starwars was released to show it a certain amount of weeks in their biggest rooms - no time to show other movies in that time.
A few cinemas were about to boycott Starwars then (but didn‘t in the end)
I don‘t think cinemas want that kind of contracts where they have to show movies for 6 months

It’s interesting that people are assuming because the number of cases are slowing down in countries that have practiced safe social distancing and other health guidelines that theaters are now ready for business and movie productions can resume. If anything, movie theaters can open but limit capacity and still require audience members to wear masks and have hand sanitizer before entering. Now, filming is a different story—especially with larger productions. I doubt Marvel/Disney will be able to shoot anything anytime soon.
Czech Republic Says It’s Ready For Film & TV Resumption – Deadline

One of the problems I think studios are going to face is ironically enough the over reliance on franchises and IP's. I've banged on about this for years but this whole situation has expedited what I've been fearing for a while that the continual reliance on these franchises to essentially fund the entire industry was a disaster waiting to happen. The years of accumulating debt purchasing the rights to these properties is more than likely going to come back to haunt many studios on the back of this.

Amazon is eyeing AMC Theatres as a potential acquisition target

AMC Theatres Stock Surges on Rumored Sale to Amazon – Variety

If this happens, maybe Amazon will revamp all the locations, including the cheap AMC Classic locations?

Please let this happen. AMC’s current business model isn’t getting people excited to come to the movies, and their inability to come up with new tactics is one of the main reasons they’ve been in financial trouble for years. I was excited when their were rumors of Amazon buying Landmark, but AMC would make more sense and it would really stick it to the Academy’s rules on releasing films in theaters to be considered for certain categories.

I can already see the rebranding. Either keep the acronym as it is now or rename it PMC or Prime Theaters.

"AMC Prime" got a ring to it.
AMC Prime is already a thing, isn't it? That's what they call the theatres with recliners where you can have dinner.

Last edited:

Just as with the theme parks, Chapek said he believes there is a lot of "pent-up demand" for theatrical releases and confirmed Mulan would be released in theaters July 24. "It really only becomes an issue on Friday night and Saturday night and to a lesser extent on Sunday night," he said of limiting capacity at screenings. "In that particular case, I think that can be managed. I think it will be up to our exhibitors who we partner with. I think that is a very good release date for that particular title."

We'll see.

It's been seen/speculated as more of a placeholder date that will eventually move due to the virus. That is clearly not the goal for the CEO if theaters are open in July.

Please let this happen. AMC’s current business model isn’t getting people excited to come to the movies, and their inability to come up with new tactics is one of the main reasons they’ve been in financial trouble for years.

I'm curious what will be the benefits to consumers? Assuming it goes through, of course.

Amazon would have to pour considerable money into revamping the old locations and adjusting ticket prices for each region. I assume they'll use Prime to encourage more people to buy in to get discounts on tickets and concessions.

I'm curious what will be the benefits to consumers? Assuming it goes through, of course.

Amazon would have to pour considerable money into revamping the old locations and adjusting ticket prices for each region. I assume they'll use Prime to encourage more people to buy in to get discounts on tickets and concessions.

If Whole Foods is any example, we'll see exclusive benefits for Prime members for tickets and/or concessions. I could also see them selling their products in some mini gift shop.

If they think they can still drop Tenet in theaters in July and make anything even close to a profit, they're crazy.

I think, for particular movies, studios will have to decide whether or not they wanna push back the release to next year in hopes of making more money once things are normal enough, or drop it on VOD and take the financial loss but be eligible for the oscars.

New York and California are starting to gradually open up and I can see all major markets being open in time for Tenet or Mulan. With the dearth of new product until mid-July, multiplexes can book Tenet and/or Mulan on all of their screens. Studios can make bank on it with social distancing requirements in place.

But there's NO WAY WB would release Tenet straight to streaming, Nolan would have a fit and would take Syncopy to a well-funded rival. If WB can't release Tenet on July 17, they'll delay it to fall or Christmas time.

I never expected it to go straight to streaming, but why are they dead set against delaying it a few months or until next summer? I just feel like they’re leaving a lot of money on the table by rushing this to theaters.

Because Nolan is their golden boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"