The Coronavirus’ Impact On The Film Industry Thread

Once October hits and stuff like ww84 or tenet actually comes out, I'll probably feel good enough if it's not still spreading like wildfire. But I'll be sitting alone and wearing a mask.

Once October hits and stuff like ww84 or tenet actually comes out, I'll probably feel good enough if it's not still spreading like wildfire. But I'll be sitting alone and wearing a mask.

I am betting they don't come out in October, personally.

Went to the cinemas yesterday and they have some pretty strict rules. Masks are mandatory or you're refused entry, very limited capacity, and the bathrooms have some stalls and sinks closed off. hand sanitation stations are everywhere as well. I went and saw Raiders btw, and there was a few people. was thinking of checking out Jurassic Park today, but haven't decided yet.

To reiterate, my state is only 1 of 2 of the states in the US to get a really good handle on this virus. Anybody coming to my state has to quarantine.

Some theaters opened here today (Vancouver B.C.) and just for fun I perused the website to see how they were doing.

Here's what they are doing:

Mask aren't mandatory
All tickets in any format are just $5
Only 25 seats are for sale for any show, no matter how large the capacity is.
All seats are reserved seating.
All tickets bought online or at a ticket machine, so no cash.

The theater I usually go to has 9 screens, but only 6 are being used and only 3 showtimes per day for each movie.

Here are the 6 movies playing:

Bloodshot (all 3 showings SOLD OUT) - Seriously?:loco:
The Invisible Man (no sell outs)
Harley Quinn (no sell outs)
Knives Out (no sell outs)
The Hunt (no sell outs)
Kill Bill Vol. 1 (1 SELL OUT)

While I really miss seeing movies in the theater nothing about this looks enticing.
If I were to go just to check things out in person it would be Kill Bill, but it's unlikely I'll be going any time soon.:oldrazz:
So, the average price of a movie ticket is $9. If a movie allows for 25 people per screening, that is $225. If 60% of that goes to the studio, that is $135 to the studio per screening. Tenet has a production budget of $200 million dollars, meaning it'd require just under 1.5 million screenings to recoup the production budget. This would require each and every theater in America to sell out about 251 screenings of the film. With three screenings a day, that would take just under three months of sold out screenings on every screen in every theater in the country. This doesn't even take into consideration the marketing budget.

We're not seeing big movies anytime soon.

Last edited:
I guess we better start making our own movies like the ****ing Muppet babies

So, the average price of a movie ticket is $9. If a movie allows for 25 people per screening, that is $225. If 60% of that goes to the studio, that is $135 to the studio per screening. Tenet has a production budget of $200 million dollars, meaning it'd require just under 1.5 million screenings to recoup the production budget. This would require each and every theater in America to sell out about 251 screenings of the film. With three screenings a day, that would take just under three months of sold out screenings on every screen in every theater in the country. This doesn't even take into consideration the marketing budget.

Right now all tickets in all formats are $5 (Canadian $) so the absolute max per showtime is $125 if it is sold out.

So, 6 movies with 3 shows each comes out to $2250 if every show sold out.

Obviously they aren't all selling out, just 4 of 18 total showings sold all 25 seats yesterday.

I recall reading there are "limited" concessions. I never looked into what that means, but I'd guess packaged candy and bottled drinks so not likely fountain drinks or popcorn, their biggest profit margin snacks.

Even with a skeleton crew staff wages are probably more than revenue as they are advertising extensive cleaning between shows, which is why they cut down to 3 shows, so they have more time to clean between shows.

I guess we better start making our own movies like the ****ing Muppet babies

I know it's a joke but if there was ever an opportunity for low budget film makers to make a name for themselves now is the time to do it.

So because of Covid theaters were closed for months. Now some theaters are back open but some are not and because of how long movies have been delayed there is nothing really out in theaters for a while. Has a result theaters are playing older movies so they can still get some business. Where I live its $5 to go to the movies. 2 of the 5 closet theaters to me are open the other 3 are not. I am just wondering has any one went to the movies sense they opened back up? If so what have you seen? I went and saw wonder women on Monday and today I went and saw Star Wars force awakens.

Not yet! My usual theater isn't open just yet, but another one in the area has and I'm planning on going to see Jurassic Park next week.

Should we a create a list of where things are open?

Haven’t been to a movie theater since February and don’t plan to go back until 2021 and a vaccine is found. Better safe than sorry!

Before all of this the last thing I saw was like march 1st or something in onward just a few days before things got shut down. Well if you don't want to go that is your decision. I am not sure if I would even take a vaccine and I am not going to live in fear and I work in a grocery store and am around like a thousand people a day so if I am going to get it I am going to get it.

Should we a create a list of where things are open?

Not a bad idea

Not yet! My usual theater isn't open just yet, but another one in the area has and I'm planning on going to see Jurassic Park next week.

I thought about seeing JP my self. Back when it got like a 20 year anniveristy I think it was I went and saw it has I never had seen it in theaters has I was only 4 when it came out.

Nice breakdown and this is sad

Younger people are getting it and it's not just cold symptoms. These little zoomers don't get it.

In fairness, you're using a single theater in Canada that is showing no new film releases as your metric for this.

This is not necessarily how things will be in the USA, and it will likely vary from state to state. But if a new release like Tenet comes out and plays to theaters which allow 25%-50% capacity for each individual screening, charging more common "new release" ticket prices like $12-$20 (including IMAX), and if there are more than just 3 screening per day at each theater, there are way to make some money. Plus, WB has already said that Tenet will stay in theaters for an unusually long time compared to the standard release window - which could mean almost a full year in theaters. And things will continue to open up more and return to full capacity as time goes on.

For many of these big new movies - at least at first - this will be a case of "slow and steady wins the race". It will be about the marathon, not the sprint. Unlike with traditional film release windows, the opening weekend grosses will not be the "be all, end all" for these films to do business.

In fairness, you're using a single theater in Canada that is showing no new film releases as your metric for this.

This is not necessarily how things will be in the USA, and it will likely vary from state to state. But if a new release like Tenet comes out and plays to theaters which allow 25%-50% capacity for each individual screening, charging more common "new release" ticket prices like $12-$20 (including IMAX), and if there are more than just 3 screening per day at each theater, there are way to make some money. Plus, WB has already said that Tenet will stay in theaters for an unusually long time compared to the standard release window - which could mean almost a full year in theaters. And things will continue to open up more and return to full capacity as time goes on.

For many of these big new movies - at least at first - this will be a case of "slow and steady wins the race". It will be about the marathon, not the sprint. Unlike with traditional film release windows, the opening weekend grosses will not be the "be all, end all" for these films to do business.
I understand all of those things. And there is no formula that will be able to properly reflect all the nuances of the situation. But I think it is a suitable generalized example of the near impossible effort it would take for a blockbuster budgeted film like Tenet to make a profit in today's reality. Keep in mind, my example gave benefit to the idea that every single theater in the country would be open, which they won't be. And that every single one of those theaters would be showing the film, which they won't be. And every single screen at every single theater would be showing the film for every showing, which they won't be.

I suggested putting together a list of what venues are operating at what capacity in order to start getting an idea of things moving forward. Here is the update for our states cinemas:

West Australia: Half capacity allowed
New South Wales: 1 person per 4 metres square
Victoria: 20 person capacity
Queensland: 100 person limit

Can't find clear info for our other states just yet. To start getting an idea of what to expect elsewhere the only new film released was the new David Copperfield adaptation which was the number one film. The entire box office for last weekend was about AU$1.8m, which is about a tenth of the box office from last year.

I am betting they don't come out in October, personally.

I mean, NY was bad for 2 months? And they actively tried to contain it. A lot of the south is just letting it burn, so who the hell knows where we will be in 2 months, let alone 3.

Believe me, I miss the theater experience too but this is gonna be the new normal for a while.

Or the new normal, period. Even though delaying these films is the right decision, I can't imagine how a lot of theaters are going to survive a year, at least, of not making money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"