The CRICKET Thread, Finally!

So it's a good development overall re England?

And I nearly got tickets. My dad is going.

It's definitely a good development for England. The short format game for England is now a swashbuckling adventure that they usually win; it used to be a turgid process of attrition that they almost always lost. Sure, they came unstuck against Pakistan and, a few weeks ago, South Africa, but the nature of the game is high-risk and good teams get beaten. It's arguable for that reason that a knock-out tournament isn't the most meaningful measurement of the best teams: an "everyone plays everyone" series like the rugby six nations would probably be fairer. But everyone loves a big final...

I wish all the series between teams would count towards a league table somehow. Even if it was spread over a couple of years or so. Every match would matter then.

And on England yes, it should mean we get entertained much more often watching them.

I know what you mean but at least, to an extent, they are trying to do that with the Champion's Trophy where the top 8 teams according to rankings, compete. So, in that way, matches in bilateral and trilateral series means a little more.

ODI cricket doesn't really have that much of an audience problem though, which is what seems to be the motivation behind a Test Championship.

To show my cards, I do kinda prefer the current ODI system of bilaterals/ trilaterals and periodic tournaments. I'm also against the 'Tour winner point system thing' that seems to be the new fad being pushed by the ICC.

Pakistan murdered India in the ICC Final! Didn't see that coming. They really are an unpredictable team lol.

Yes, India really bent over. Pakistan were worthy winners, however, congratulations to them. It's such a pity that religion and politics prevent them nowadays playing a fuller role in world cricket.

England 213 for 5 against SA. Root with an unbeaten century on his captaincy debut.

And up to 357 for 5 (having been 76 for 4)! Root not far off a double century and Moeen now on 61 n.o..

458 all out final score. Moeen got 87 and Broad also supported with a 50. Root didnt add much and missed the double hundred.

Last edited:
I cannot understand England's team selection. Does Gary Ballance have fappening pictures of Andrew Strauss? And how does Liam Dawson get picked ahead of Adil Rashid?

The team would be infinitely stronger with Rashid in for Dawson. If he were fit, Woakes should be brought in, Ballance dropped and Mooen moved up to 3.

No idea on Ballance or why no Rashid. It's getting a bit confusing.

I have a fetish for seeing bowlers (all rounders) get big scores with the bat, but that lessens if those guys are moved up the order (as they probably should be) as it doesn't seem quite as unusually impressive any more. Must be awesome being a bowler in the 2nd innings of a match when you've already got a hundred with the bat in the first innings and thinking to yourself - I can just get a couple of wickets here and I'll already have had a great match. If I do any more I'll be MotM.

England were in a good position at 139-1 but then lost 4 wickets for 10 runs. Still in with a good chance of picking up a win but might be a little bit more difficult if they have to slow their batting pace.

Starting with Cook's departure, England lost 7-43. Superb bowling from the South Africans or a cluster-**** from England? Hard to say, as the pitch appears to be deteriorating, but Bairstow and Wood have now taken the lead above 300 (though Wood has just been bowled) and this seems to indicate that England's middle order were unacceptably sloppy.

Once again, I think England are really missing Chris Woakes. South Africa would have fewer runs on the board if he had bowled and his gritty, disciplined batting would be invaluable now. He has to play next time if he is fit. If he isn't, then I think the selectors should seriously consider returning to Liam Plunkett, who does a similar job slightly less well.

Well England finished their collapse at 233 but now SA have well and truly collapsed. 78-7!!

The pitch?

And the off-spinning pair of Moeen and Dawson finish it off.

Yes, I think it was an unusually crumbly pitch, which is no doubt a result of the hot summer. It clearly suited Moeen, who I understand is the first all-rounder for England to get ten wickets and 50+ runs in a match since Ian Botham in 1980, very well. Many congratulations to Moeen, who is a deserving man of the match.

They say never change a winning team, but I don't understand the selection of Dawson over Rashid. Dawson did okay in this match on a very helpful pitch, but I think Rashid is far more attacking (which compliments Moeen's controlling off-breaks well), his batting is very respectable and shortens England's tail considerably, and in any case I think a off-spin/leg-spin combination is harder for a batsmen to face than off-spin/more off-spin.

My 11 for Trent Bridge:

Cook
Jennings (I still think Hameed is the better long term prospect, but he is out of form)
Ballance (not a fan, but having reselected him he has to given at least a couple of tests)
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Moeen
Rashid
Wood (I like his pace and aggression, but would still choose Woakes if available)
Broad
Anderson

Definitely agreed on Rashid.

Big congrats to Moeen. I thought I'd mentioned his 6 wicket haul in that last post. 10 wickets is awesome but that stat of getting 10 wickets and 50+ runs doesn't seem all that much more impressive than just the 10 wickets haha. 100+ runs would have been something and Moeen was just short of that with his 87 run first innings score but only 7 run 2nd innings tally.

A low score with the bat in the second innings is no crime when only Cook and Bairstow could make much impact.

That's not what I was saying. 50 over 2 innings is an unremarkable stat even for a bowler compared to the rare feat of 10 wickets. I went on to say that Moeen was very close to achieving what is probably a much more difficult feat by getting almost 100 with the bat as well as the 10 wicket match.

SA good start in second test. Now 146-2.

England 85-2 after SA got 335 in the first innings. Anderson with 5 wickets and Root with 52 not out.

Damn, England collapsed. 199 for 8 now.

England look like being annihilated here. They currently have a fragile top order and a long tail. Root, Bairstow, Moeen and Stokes cannot be expected to score all of the runs all of the time. Ballance should be dropped next test, and both Rashid and Woakes should be brought back in place of Dawson and Wood as soon as possible. I'm not sure who should be brought in to stiffen the top order given that Hameed is out of form, but I think any of the following are better options than Ballance:

1) Mark Stoneman. Has been in contention for years, and currently in good form opening for Durham;

2) Alex Hales. Didn't really take his chance at no.2 in the test side, but he is a talent and used to high-pressure matches. Perhaps not the man to rebuild an innings in tough conditions, however;

3) Daniel Bell-Drummond. Another talent, and one who deserves an opportunity soon. I remember him scoring a casual century against a touring Australian side including Mitchell Johnson et al. He clearly has the ability;

4) Ben Duckett. Didn't perform well in difficult sub-continental conditions, but deserves an opportunity at some point.

I agree with your changes. Hopefully Hameed can rediscover his form. I only know about Alex Hales from that list of 4. Do you watch a lot of county cricket?

I follow it and try to go to games every so often. Going to see a County Championship match is great- pretty much everyone there is a serious cricket fan and you can usually sit right behind the bowler's arm. And you often see both future stars and former stars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"